Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road to the Ryder Cup 2014

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

More brutal stuff from Westwood today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Ryder Cup Live show on Sky Sports right now if anyone is interested...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

*mod delete pls

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Montgomery really is an unlikeable chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

More brutal stuff from Westwood today.

He's appalling! He better deliver next week or else....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭abff

Rikand wrote: »
    He's appalling! He better deliver next week or else....

You know what. The funny thing is that he probably will deliver. Not that I would have picked him ahead of Donald, I'm just saying....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Not sure what you guys think but I think the Ryder Cup is being totally overhyped now. I understand there is no World Cup or Olympics or such and its the only thing that stands out a bit from the usual weekly tournament schedule with exception of the majors.

But its beginning to become a bit of a pain. The stately gravitas intro music. The Road to the Ryder Cup. The week of the Ryder Cup. The opening of the Ryder Cup. Weeks of How the Ryder Cup Was Won. The endless sh1tetalk sessions. All telling us how enormous and historical all this is. Ah for gods sake, talking about 1st world problems...

I think they're running the risk of overhyping it to the ridiculous. For me personally the Ryder Cup ranks just above a run of the mill weekly tournament in terms of interest. Below the big ones like Wentworth or the WGC and definitely below the majors by a mile. I will have a look as I do most weekends but I won't be glued to the box. Don't really care who wins either.

What do you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭abff

Boskowski wrote: »
    Not sure what you guys think but I think the Ryder Cup is being totally overhyped now at this stage. I understand there is no World Cup or Olympics or such and its the only thing that stands out a bit from the usual weekly tournament schedule with exception of the majors.

But its beginning to become a bit of a pain. The stately gravitas intro music. The Road to the Ryder Cup. The week of the Ryder Cup. The opening of the Ryder Cup. Weeks of How the Ryder Cup Was Won. The endless sh1tetalk sessions. All telling us how enormous and historical all this is. Ah for gods sake, talking about 1st world problems...

I think they're running the risk of overhyping it to the ridiculous. For me personally the Ryder Cup ranks just above a run of the mill weekly tournament in terms of interest. Below the big ones like Wentworth or the WGC and definitely below the majors by a mile. I will have a look as I do most weekends but I won't be glued to the box. Don't really care who wins either.

What do you guys think?

I agree that the hype from Sky is completely overdone. But I still think there's something visceral about the Ryder Cup that creates a unique atmosphere for a golf tournament.

I've never attended a major, but I've been to several golf tournaments in Ireland and one in Portugal and I've also been to two Ryder cups - in 2006 in the K Club and in 2008 in Valhalla. The atmosphere at both Ryder Cups was just electric - real make the hair on the back of your neck stand up stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Agree it's overhyped but that'll all be forgotten by the time the weekend is over!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Tom Watson is an absolute legend, those pampered millionares better not let him down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,801 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

No Republic of Irish player on team - is a major downer for me. I know that is just me - I guess Paul being captain adds a bit to it. But if Paul wasn't captain - I'd be almost up for the yanks.

I've no affiliation with a European team. Like lads drunk shouting "EEEEEUUUUUROOOOPE" . What is that about ?

In fact I really like some of the american lads. We basically watch more and more American golf now. The Euro Tour is for the real die hards. Even the top European players - don't play in Europe. In the past - it was like one Tour versus another - the game has changed a good bit.

Yes I'll be up for Europe and all that - but looking at the team - besides Mcilroy - Dubisson - I have to say Garcia - they are not not the most exciting bunch outside of them - are they ? and 2 of the 3 I mentioned there do themselves no favours sometimes.

As an example look at the team from 1991 - I can't put my finger on it - but seems to have more character and lads you would go out of your way to watch - not just watch, actually support. Like you don't hear too many lads saying they are a Stenson fan.

I think the lads are almost becoming machine like - it is the professionalism of the sport.
    The one thing good about the Ryder Cup - is brings them outside of their comfort zone - that is interesting , so they actually show a bit of emotion.

England Nick Faldo ^
    Northern Ireland David Feherty
    Scotland Colin Montgomerie
    Spain José María Olazábal ^
    England Steven Richardson
    Spain Seve Ballesteros
    Wales Ian Woosnam
    England Paul Broadhurst
    Scotland Sam Torrance
    England Mark James ^
    Germany Bernhard Langer
    England David Gilford

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭LinksLad

If you blood is not fired up by now, might I just remind you that Eastenders, Coronation Street and Emmerdale are still on this week.

Your choice...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,839 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Not sure what you guys think but I think the Ryder Cup is being totally overhyped now. I understand there is no World Cup or Olympics or such and its the only thing that stands out a bit from the usual weekly tournament schedule with exception of the majors.

What do you guys think?

I disagree with you. So what if they hype it up? Sure don't they hype everything up.... If you have no interest in it thats fine, don't watch it. lots of stuff gets hyped up that I have no interest in, but I don't care. I think the hype has been great and it has made a tournament I have always adored, even more amazing by generating so much more interest. How can that be a bad thing?

I for one love the Ryder Cup. It's my favourite golf tournament, but I realise what it is and what it's not. It's not a major, it not a normal event, it's not WGC, it's not a World ranking event.

It's FUN.

A few years ago, Rory considered it almost an intrusion on his calendar. Ask him now......... He has been there and been part of it and realised this is more than a golf tournament. How many times do we get to see golf played like this? Actually every week all around the country in events like the Barton Cup, Pierce Purcell etc..... So really and truly this is how golf is played on a regular basis in a club environment. But at the highest level? Once every 2 years is not a lot to ask is it, of course in between there is the Presidents Cup and the Seve Trophy, but they are much much lower key. This is the biggie.

Sure give him the option, Rory will want to win a major over the Ryder Cup any day. A few weeks ago he was asked, €10m or the Ryder cup and he said the Ryder Cup, and I believe he genuinely meant it. Of course he wan't to win tournaments moreso, but he doesn't need the money.

Golf is a mean individual sport and I think it's great to see the lads getting together and doing something different, it gives them a release from the norm. A chance to let the hair down, while doing something semi-serious and have a party. We all need a release don't we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Sorry Stevie but there's nothing to agree or disagree with. I'm not looking for an argument just for opinions. How does it rank with people personally.

On the Rory 10m or the Ryder Cup thing. :pac: ye right. It's a media question and a media answer. What else was he going to say?

Sorry Stevie but there's nothing to agree or disagree with. I'm not looking for an argument just for opinions. How does it rank with people personally.

On the Rory 10m or the Ryder Cup thing. :pac: ye right. It's a media question and a media answer. What else was he going to say?

no, I know you are only looking for opinion and not an argument... :) just my opinion and I know most people don't like the Ryder Cup as It's not real golf and I do appreciate that, but I do like the way it is just a bit different to a regular event, it brings a bit of colour, excitement and cheer to the course that we would not normally see.

On the Rory thing, I know he wanted the Fed Ex cup win more than the Ryder cup and he would happily swap, but the money means nothing to him, and I know for a fact that he loves the Ryder Cup experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

stevieob wrote: »
    no, I know you are only looking for opinion and not an argument... :) just my opinion and I know most people don't like the Ryder Cup as It's not real golf and I do appreciate that, but I do like the way it is just a bit different to a regular event, it brings a bit of colour, excitement and cheer to the course that we would not normally see.

On the Rory thing, I know he wanted the Fed Ex cup win more than the Ryder cup and he would happily swap, but the money means nothing to him, and I know for a fact that he loves the Ryder Cup experience.

I'm not crazy about Sky's over-hyping myself, but I don't think it is accurate to say most people don't like the Ryder Cup, or that it is not "real" golf. It is very real and it is great theater.

I've been to three of them (Brookline, Belfry and K Club) and while I wouldn't bother going to another, I will certainly watch as much of it as I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I have always loved and will always love the Ryder Cup. Great entertainment

maybe not most, but there are certainly a lot... i'm obviously not one of them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Yes its overhyped

But i will watch every second of it that I can and I CANNOT wait for it to start :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Can we keep all future Ryder Cup posts here from now on please?

• Advertisement
Advertisement