Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best documentaries you have seen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I watched Senna last night. I have no interest in Formula 1 at all but I really enjoyed the documentary. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 derold

mauzo! wrote: »
    The West Memphis 3. Amazing.

paradise lost the three films before this one are good aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

There are some great documentaries on Netflix at the moment. Some of the stand out ones are

The Bridge - about suicides from San Fran's Golden Gate Bridge

For the Bible Tells me So - about the church and its attitude to gay people

Dreams of a Life - the story of Carol Vincent who was found dead in her flat. Her body had been there for approx 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

I imagine some if not all of these have been mentioned before but a few of my personal favourites include.

Cocaine Cowboys - true story of how Miami became the drug, murder and cash capital of the United States.

Exit Through the gift shop - a film by street artist Banksy that tells the story of Thierry Guetta, a French immigrant in Los Angeles, and his obsession with street art. *well worth a watch

Touching The Void - true story of two climbers and their perilous journey up the west face of Siula Grande in the Peruvian Andes

Bigger, Stronger, Faster -A film that explores America's win-at-all-cost culture by examining how two brothers became members of the steroid-subculture in an effort to realize their American dream.

Dogtown and the Z Boys - Documentary about the pioneering 1970s Zephyr skating team.

And some more recent ones

The Crash Reel - A movie that follows snowboarder Kevin Pearce as he is on the rise and training for the Olympics when he has a major accident that could have killed him and his road to recovery

12 O'Clock Boys - The story a young boy growing up on a combative West Baltimore block, finds solace in a group of illegal dirt bike riders known as The 12 O'Clock Boys.

Black Fish - Notorious killer whale Tilikum is responsible for the deaths of three individuals, including a top killer whale trainer. Blackfish shows the sometimes devastating consequences of keeping such intelligent and sentient creatures in captivity.

*bonus documentary* if you have seen Blackfish and think that is bad have a look at "The Cove" . It's all about the hunting of Dolphins in Japan! For such and advanced race of people the Japanese are absolutely barbaric with their treatment and respect for animals! Hard watching!

The documentary i'm most looking forward to see at the moment is "Narco Cultura" but i can't seem to find it online anywhere even though it was released last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1621444/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYqiLJBXbss

This. Bill Cunningham New York

A great documentary about a wonderful man...who happens to be a long-standing fashion street photographer in New York.

If you're not into fashion or photography, don't worry (I wasn't), the simple greatness of the man shines through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1621444/

This. Bill Cunningham New York

A great documentary about a wonderful man...who happens to be a long-standing fashion street photographer in New York.

If you're not into fashion or photography, don't worry (I wasn't), the simple greatness of the man shines through.

I LOVED that documentary. Can't believe I forgot to include it in my list. It's amazing how frugal his lifestyle is - he truly lives and breathes fashion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

finix wrote: »
    Documentaries you want ? Fill your boots then,000's here all free...Enjoy !

http://documentaryheaven.com/watch-online/

Great site! :) This one is also good: http://thoughtmaybe.com/topics/

Just heard of the passing of Alain Resnais :(

His documentary Night & Fog (Nuit et Brouillard) about the Nazi concentration camps is one of the best I've seen. One to make you think about humanity.

Only 30 mins long, but it's definitely one of my most memorable cinema experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Spr1ngsteen

Once Brothers

]

This is well worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

And one of the most inspiring thing you will ever see...

Its on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScwK1PWQwnE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Some more... keyboard is f***ed so I will just post some trailers.

And for those interested in the Australian girl who sowed up on OConnell street a few months back, you must see this...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

• Registered Users Posts: 41 red_eskimo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

The Act of Killing was one of the best films from last year. Completely demented.

Tabloid which is about a beauty queen who kidnaps a Mormon lad. Mental stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

ITV's documentary on the birmingham 6. It is on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 3 harryvu

The Two Escobars

Part of ESPNs 30 for 30 series and charts the lives of Pablo Escobar who funded Columbian soccer with cocaine money and Andres Escobar who captained the Columbian international team. Not just the best documentary but one of the best movies I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

Boards,the great shut down

great doc,but Was bloody too long though ,18 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara
    This !!

and more recently...the most powerful documentary I've watched

Camp 14 : Total control zone (docu about the only known person to even escape North Koreas labour camps ...interviews with ex guards etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

7-up - a group of 7-year-old kids were interviewed at age 7 then interviewed at 7 year intervals since. I think there was one last year and they were 56.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The Gate of Heavenly Peace about the Tiananmen Square protests in 1989. I watched this on TV back in the 90's and remember it as a very powerful piece.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Camp 14 : Total control zone (docu about the only known person to even escape North Koreas labour camps ...interviews with ex guards etc)

Defo worth reading the buke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

red_eskimo wrote: »

Loved this, tragic yet beautiful

Even if you think its daft, this is a interesting watch

Also worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sinead88

Jesus Camp is really good. It's deals with religious brain washing of children by evangelists. I also love anything by David Attenborough and Louis Theroux. Next on my list to watch is Blackfish, about the mistreatment of orcas by Seaworld.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Blackfish is great, a real eye-opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭illeagles_mcc

closer to the edge is pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QldZiR9eQ_0

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭stretchdoe

harryvu wrote: »
    The Two Escobars

Part of ESPNs 30 for 30 series and charts the lives of Pablo Escobar who funded Columbian soccer with cocaine money and Andres Escobar who captained the Columbian international team. Not just the best documentary but one of the best movies I've ever seen.

That's a great one alright.

'Once Brothers' is the best of the 30 for 30 ones i've seen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

First of all, great thread.
    Loads of stuff to check out after reading through it.

Some of the best I've seen:
    • Exit through the gift shop
    • Touching the Void
    • Man on Wire
    • The Imposter
    • Marley
    • Bigger, Stronger, Faster
    • Chavez: Inside the Coup (The Revolution Will Not Be Televised)
    • Senna
    • Restrepo
    • Undefeated [Oscar 2011 - don't think it's been mentioned]

Been meaning to watch Blackfish and The Cove but I know they'll make me sad, angry and frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

The documentary i'm most looking forward to see at the moment is "Narco Cultura" but i can't seem to find it online anywhere even though it was released last year!

It's available a certain website i'm probably not allowed to mention. I've seen it and it Kicks A$$...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

SeantheMan wrote: »
    This !!

and more recently...the most powerful documentary I've watched

I found camp 14 to be a bit painful to watch. Not for the story told but the way it was put together. If you take out all the pointless shots of the guy walking down a street or sitting in silence, you're left with so little actual content.
    I get that it's a South Korean movie and they want to show the personal aspect. But i think it would be a better documentary if they had a narrator tell facts and cut in his personal story to sections
    There was loads of other info I knew about those camps from other sources that they left out

Advertisement