Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best documentaries you have seen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭TheSetMiner

The Wall Street Code (Marije Meerman, VPRO)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I definitely thought 'Paths to Freedom' was amazing, it was a doc following two former convicts after their release from mount joy. One of them was an inner city man the other was a south sider golfing type. The latter went a bit crazy after he got out, it was actually quite funny albeit some emotional scenes. I think the south side guy was going out with Deirdre o Kane at the time, and the inner city guy was friends with the dad from moone boy!! Funny how things work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I definitely thought 'Paths to Freedom' was amazing, it was a doc following two former convicts after their release from mount joy. One of them was an inner city man the other was a south sider golfing type. The latter went a bit crazy after he got out, it was actually quite funny albeit some emotional scenes. I think the south side guy was going out with Deirdre o Kane at the time, and the inner city guy was friends with the dad from moone boy!! Funny how things work out.

Jaysus, is nowhere safe from the April Fools crapola?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Hitler's gay catholic nazi latex sex orgies, I believe it was produced by channel 5. :rolleyes:

Really though any well produced BBC or discovery channel space documentaries hold my attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Got me.

Seriously though, still deserves a recommendation as a mockumentary.
    One of the best things RTE ever did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Exit through the gift shop

Waste land

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Putin, Russia & The West. I cant find any links to it but I'm sure it was a BBC Documentary pretty topical at the moment but it does go some way to explaining just how crazy a Mo Fo he is. It was over 3 or 4 episodes but great viewing

/Edit This is the best I can do in terms of a link I'm afraid

Also if you have Netflix and like your music you should check out Beware of Mr Baker its about Ginger Baker from Cream and he's still as crazy as ever

And if you like Motorbike racing" TT Closer to the Edge" is pretty hard to beat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

tomb raider

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Dog Town & Z Boys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

1957 but still one of Panoramas best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Jaysus, is nowhere safe from the April Fools crapola?

Its the one day a year where trolling is legalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

"Castle" has to be one my fave documentary series, chronicling the background and history of various medieval castles throughout Britain. My favourite episode was the one on Rochester Castle which was laid siege to by King John. The movie "Ironclad" is based on the siege.

Men of Iron was also fantastic, giving an account of the achievements and failures of great Victorian engineers such as Brunel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I just watched "The Dark Matter of Love". It's about an American family who adopt 3 children from a Russian orphanage. I actually did not expect it to be so excellent, now I can't go to bed as I'm so emotional and involved.

It's on Netflix, I highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

Jurassic Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Zed Bank wrote: »
    Jurassic Park.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Just watched this earlier! Such a good watch for any nature/animal fans

Amazing heartfelt look at the lives of an incredible species!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

Loads of great ones but just posting in this thread to recommend the Storyville documentary strand on BBC4. Incredibly well made, non-judgmental and have sucked me into watching documentary subject matter I never thought would interest me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Finished watching Loius Theroux's LA stories.

Living with the sex offenders was easily one of the best I've seen. Tragic and sickening

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Velocity_Girl

Just watched this earlier! Such a good watch for any nature/animal fans

Amazing heartfelt look at the lives of an incredible species!

I just finished watching this, absolutely brilliant! Thank you for recommending it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Anybody watch 5 Cameras? That's pretty good, very powerful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

I just finished watching this, absolutely brilliant! Thank you for recommending it :-)

No worries! My friend watched it tonight after i told him about it and loved it too! Great watch! :)

Amazing people dedicating such a large part of their lives to those wolves too!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

Sushi - The Global Catch

It can be watched on the American Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Pa2k

Henry Miller asleep and awake

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Anybody watch 5 Cameras? That's pretty good, very powerful
    Watched it a few weeks ago. A real wake up call but sadly their situation will not improve any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

3mm wrote: »
    30 for 30 documentaries by espn are great if you're into sport

Agree. Just finished watching Bad Boys for the second time today. Dennis Rodman being overcome with emotion as he explained his family background was the highlight for me as it gives a brief insight into why he is the way he is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Watched The Staircase over the weekend.
    Thought it was a really well put together documentary.
    As has already been said though, I was as shocked as the defense team when they found him guilty. I know we only see a very small part of the trial but from what was in the documentary I find it very difficult to see how you could not have reasonable doubt.

No cast-off on the ceiling, no blood on his clothes, the blow poke was not the murder weapon and no viable alternative was suggested. Biomechanical engineering (although paid by the defense) seemed consistent with a fall. The defenses blood spatter analyst was also more credible than the subsequently discredited prosecution analyst.

I initially thought there was something off about him anyway and the lacerations were hard to look past but by the letter of the law surely he should have been acquitted.

The more I watched though the less I was sure and in the end, the owl theory made the most sense to me to be honest.

But then what happened in Germany?
    However unlikely, it is possible that this guy just happened to find two women dead at the bottom of two different staircases in large amounts of blood.
    Great watch though. The Part 2 video was no longer working for me so here's another link to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7OeQGkA2YQ&list=PLuu_-MB93fOoE5db3PvJU0G7hK7kV5c2k&index=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Bowling for Columbine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Watched this the other day on US Netflix.Trailer makes it look incredibly macho,but it paints a great picture of the crisis that the city of Detroit is in and the lads who are struggling to hold things together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Pretty good PBS series, especially this one.

Advertisement