Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭goblin59

Unfortunatly you have 41mm tubes. I just replaced mine on the R100rs. Could have had the old ones

the old Dimensions: Diameter: 36mm Length: 614mm

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

Mine is 2015, I would have hoped it would be worth over 5k, maybe when the summer eventually arrives.

What blade did you get? Love to see a pic as I'm contemplating my next bike at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

my kawasaki versys 2008 also has 41 mm inner tube

not sure if they are same length though

Versys forks are upside down though

Post edited by flashinthepan on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I bought a 2002 954 in the red and black. She's out in Poland though, will drive it back in April

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Spot on :)

They are a sweet bike. Just a pain I'm still not in the litre club 🤣

Ah, I wouldn't be too bothered as long as you're happy with the bike.

What's the craic,are you in Poland with the bike?

How are price's there at the moment.

Is it easy to pick.up something nice for a good price?

• Advertisement

Ah just kidding about the litre club.

My OH is Polish so the bike is over there and I'm in Dublin. I want to ride it back so waiting until the end of April when it's not freezing. There's a small dent on the tank which is being sorted over there and getting it fully serviced etc.

Prices over there are pretty good, however no bikes are used in the winter over there and they are generally well looked after machines

Sold my 650F today.

Thinking I might buy something cheap to tide me over until April when I collect the blade. Don't want to add anything silly to my insurance before renewal so something like an CBR600F3 would be great if anybody knew of one going for the right money.

Ideally sub 1500quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,455 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well who wouldn't like a nice CBR600F3 for under 1500 quid 😀

If you find one, can I have it when you're finished with it?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi - can someone (or a few of you) give me an idea (ballpark) for how much would it cost to get fitted:

Heated Grips

Slip on Silencer

Quick Shifter

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Can anyone recommend a seat upholsterer, hopefully in the southeast, I need to get a few CM taken out of the seat . It looks like an easy enough job but don’t want to wreck anything.

also, if anyone is stuck for an oil filter, crush washers, sparks and maybe an air filter (not sure if it’s in the box) for a early model F800r, let me know as I have no use for them now.

I just got a quote from Top Sellerie in france for a similar job, they offered to lower my seat by 3cm and replacing the foam with Gel for € 110.40 with delivery to Ireland included.

There was some tearing in the seat cover so was another €150 to replace the entire cover as well, but means it won't spoil how the bike will look by the end of the rebuild

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Acquiescence

Thinking of selling my bike. XJ6 diversion 2012. It has some bits of what I would describe as 'mild corrosion', it's done 50k km and I've ridden it year round for 3 years so I suppose it's inevitable. Basically it looks like it's be ridden which it has. Regularly serviced just got fork seals, chain, pads, 2 new tyres etc.

There's people on done deal looking for 5k for low milage ones. Which seems bonkers.

Anybody care to take a punt at what I should put it up for to A. Not be taking the piss B. Encourage somebody to buy it and C. Avoid having to talk to too many people on Done Deal

I'm assuming dealers only want Garage Queens as trade ins?

Probably put it up for €3.5k and stick to your guns if you don't want to take any less.

Also, a thorough clean will help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

Heard that Mick Manifold has passed away, you couldn't meet a nicer man. He helped me a lot when I had bikes about 15 years ago and more recently when I bought another. Nothing was too much trouble for him and he had a great passion and a long history with motorbikes.

Rest in peace Mick

Yeah.

I first met him around 1992.

Top man and mad for the chat.

I was up with him before the pandemic and what was supposed to be a quick visit turned into several hours chatting.

R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,455 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

He was great mates with Bob Carburettor.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭GBX

2022 Irish photo rally locations released last night

http://irishphotorally.ie/map

Can anyone do me a favour and confirm I'm right about something?

I know nothing about bikes. I'm mid-IBT at the moment, and i picked up a bike to practice on. I told the instructor who commented that my bike wasn't gonna be suitable for A2 as it's power was less than 20kw.

From reading the differences in the licenses, on the NDLS website here:

My understanding is that so long as my bike is above 125cc and also above 15kw, I'm okay? (my bike is 249cc, and 19kw).

Cheers folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

Th other factor is the weight of the bike and the power to weight ratio on the VRC - see Q on the cert - although they have been known to be incorrect but that's what the tester will look for to confirm if its A2. If the information on the cert is not correct then you need to contact the manufacturer for a cert of conformity and send that with the cert to Shannon to have it corrected. They might also accept a letter from main dealer on headed paper with the same info.

Can also check the RSA list (https://www.rsa.ie/services/learner-drivers/resources/motorcycle-categories) to see what they've listed your bike as. Is there any reason why you specifically want A2 (assuming its not to do with age)?

When I did my test the examiner wanted to see the power of my bike. I nearly failed my test because my logbook had 0Kw written on it (Cheers Shannon)

Then had the issue of there being two different types of BMW F650, thankfully the examiner was in a good mood so he accepted the wikipedia entry for my bike.

If the RSA website says your bike is suitable it should be ok.

Cheers for the replies @goblin59 and @enrique66_35 , I appreciate it.

My bike isn't on the RSA list, unfortunately. On the logbook the "Q" Power/Weight Ratio is just marked as "0.00". So that's not particularly helpful. (It's a 2020 Benelli BN251, in the unlikely event anyone's familiar with it).

So if I were to show up to the test now, with no power/weight ratio, but 19kw and 249cc, would i be laughed out the door? or would "two out of three" be sufficient? It's a very messy set up, and particularly shoddy of Shannon.

To be honest, I'd (obviously) rather an A license and get it over and done with, but if my bike's A2, then I'd rather just get the A2 and do a progression module down the road, than have to sell the bike and pick up something that's more powerful. I have no friends/family/etc that are into bikes at all, so the option of getting a lend of a more powerful bike for a week to get used to it and do the test on it, isn't really available to me.

(maybe I wouldn't need it for that long though? I wonder do dealers or instructors generally rent out their bikes? I know with cars obviously you can't get the instructors car for a couple of days to get used to it, but you can get it for the test itself). The cost of renting a bike probably puts me back in the position of just doing the A2 and paying for the progression at a later date. Probably be much of a muchness in terms of how much it'll cost me.. especially if i fail the test on a rented bike and have to do it again.

I'm 33, by the way, so I can go straight for the main license.

EDIT: I just emailed Benelli Ireland and (facebook) messaged the Dealer i got it off. Hopefully someone will provide some level of clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Can you check with your IBT guy if they can rent you the bike to do the test? I have heard that it is done - usually a pre-test lesson the day before and then the actual IBT. No harm in asking I guess

@debub I may well look into that, alright. Will do no harm. Likely won't actually do the test til nexy year anyway. I'm assuming/hoping that hopping from one bike to another is the same as changing car? Takes a couple of minutes to get used to it, but after 10 minutes you're laughing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭geotrig

Just get the cert of conformity of Benelli Ireland, my bike mt07 is on the list and the tester still checked the data and commented that it had a vin no and no reg on the CoC but it was ok just if he was in a bad mood it might have been an issue ! 😅

most instructors do rent their bikes from what I've seen. When I did my ibt one guy was doing his progression module and all was pretty good AND straight forward.

Just enjoy your riding on the bike and figure out the little niggles that trouble you and work on those and find out the test route and drive it ad nauseam.

On another note took my bike out the other day and had a scary low low speed front wheel slide while taking off and turning right (presumably on oil/petrol/diesel) . Managed to adjust ,just, and avoided hitting the curb which was quite high😲 but was a quick wake up call !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

what ever your feelings are now, I would wholeheartedly recommend going for your full A - rent a bike if needs be. A little bit more effort up front, but you're more in the frame of mind now (test wise), and gives you all the options down the road

Advertisement