Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architectural Technologist Register

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bazlyons

The CIAT's AT register is live and fortunately Techs are joining and supporting it but it could be two years to achieve statutory recognition. In the meantime here's a workaround I found out today that could enable MCIAT to act as DC/AC under the BC(A)R.

CABE in the UK accept MCIAT as members. Membership of CABE enables entry onto the Building Surveyors register here. It's crap we have to come up with a work around considering we're more than qualified but needs must.

I've already lost out on one project this week by not being able to offer AC services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Have any MCIAT's got on to the surveyors register this way Baz, I know a lot of guys have tried a few routes but SUSI were a bit resistant!!

Hey No6

I know of one so far. Be warned though they have a lot of experience (20yrs + like myself)

You apply to the Register and submit a "report", similar to what we submitted to CIAT outlining education, work, experience etc as a building surveyor (eg surveys, project management Planning, FSC and DAC applications etc.) play down the Architecture angle and up the site and PM elements.

Put it this was. it's easier for an experienced Tech to get on the Building Surveyors register than accepted into the Royals Register.

Email from RIAI today about their establishment of a voluntary register for Technologists.

I'm of a mind to tell them not to include me on it as I'm 100% behind the CIAT register instead. What is everyone else's view?

with a view to get them to act as assigned and design certifiers or as ancillary certifiers only?

• Advertisement

I've emailed John Graby for clarification.

Good luck with that I wrote to him two years ago resigning from the RIAI and I still haven't got a response!!

i'm going to hound him until i get a response

Hi BAz can you please post the content of the notice? I haven't seen it yet

No 6 - Content below

Dear ....

As you will know from a previous circulation, the RIAI intends to set up a Voluntary Register of Architectural Technologists. There is a commitment from the DECLG to advance a Statutory Register for Architectural Technologists but this RIAI Register, at this time, does not have a Statutory basis.

In order to satisfy Date Protection issue, you have a choice of either:
    1. Showing the full address held by the RIAI as above or as you may wish to see it corrected or
    2. Simply showing your Region ie: Dublin 2, Tipperary etc.

I would be grateful if you could respond by 8th September at the latest. If no response is received, it will be assumed that you have no objection to your full address being shown on the Voluntary Register. The RIAI sees the Voluntary Register as an important step in reinforcing the role of Architectural Technologists.

Regards,

• Advertisement

That should be interesting so, the RIAI are going to self populate their register with all their members so they can claim they have more than CIAT, classic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭Glebee

No6 wrote: »
    That should be interesting so, the RIAI are going to self populate their register with all their members so they can claim they have more than CIAT, classic

How many tech members would RIAI have?

They used to have over 300 but I am sure its fallen below that by now, any RIAI techs there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

They used to have over 300 but I am sure its fallen below that by now, any RIAI techs there!!
    Around 230, and still applications going in, including a raft of people applying to take the AT entry exam. The mind boggles.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I wonder are the college's still shoe horning graduates to riai?
    Absolutely disgraceful if they are.

Re: the RIAI Register of Technologists

Just got off the phone with John Graby asked him the following questions. (I’m paraphrasing the conversation but the essence is correct)

Me: If in time the RIAI Voluntary Register of Architectural Technologists achieves statutory recognition, will the RIAI deem Architectural Technologists on their register competent to act in the roles of Design Certifier and/or Assigned Certifier and specified under the BC(A)R?

John: It’s not within the gift of the RIAI to say that Technologists on their register are competent to act on as assigned and design certifiers. That determination will be made by the Department of the Environment.

Me: Ok but will the RIAI be making a case to the Department that Architectural Technologists on their register are competent to act in these roles?

John: There is no policy defined by the RIAI in relation to this yet.

I’ll be writing today to ensure my name does not appear on this sham register.

Bazlyons wrote: »

John: There is no policy defined by the RIAI in relation to this yet.

Well thats definative, round us all up and avoid having a policy defined for ever!! I am afriad that Architectural Technologists supporting the RIAI position is like turkeys voting for Christmas!! So if you like cranberry sauce, go for it!!

Have any MCIAT's got on to the surveyors register this way Baz, I know a lot of guys have tried a few routes but SUSI were a bit resistant!!

Got confirmation of my membership of CABE today. Will be doing the application for the Building Surveyors Register over the Weekend.

Will keep you updated.

Confirmed acceptance onto the Building Surveyors Register received today.

I suggest this route for Arch Tech's while we're waiting for out own Register.

Confirmed acceptance onto the Building Surveyors Register received today.

I suggest this route for Arch Tech's while we're waiting for out own Register.

did you go straight on, or around the houses?

did they accept architectural technology as being comparable with a surveyors course?

• Advertisement

Syd,

I cant answer the course question as i didn't go direct. They basically took my experience in the role of a Building Surveyor.

The route i took was.

I became a member of CIAT, which allowed me join CABE in the UK, membership of which is acceptable to be on the BS Register.

While it seems around the houses it's a lot less crap than trying to get on the RIAI one.

I started the process in February, made my full submission to CIAT in April, had my CIAT interview in July and rest followed from there.

Once i was in CABE getting on the Register was really just a CV.

Syd,

I cant answer the course question as i didn't go direct. They basically took my experience in the role of a Building Surveyor.

The route i took was.

I became a member of CIAT, which allowed me join CABE in the UK, membership of which is acceptable to be on the BS Register.

While it seems around the houses it's a lot less crap than trying to get on the RIAI one.

I started the process in February, made my full submission to CIAT in April, had my CIAT interview in July and rest followed from there.

Once i was in CABE getting on the Register was really just a CV.

much appreciated, thanks baz

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jsn.mcclintock

Been registered on boards since 2010 but this is my first post, better make it a good one!

I'm currently employed full time as a technician/technologist by a small architecture/engineering firm since the beginning of this year, with a year and a half part time employment with them before that. I've got a BSc in Architectural Technology Level 7 which I graduated from in 2010, I never did get round to advancing to Level 8. I'm extremely, stupidly lucky to have found full time employment in a position I went to college for with no previous experience less than half an hour from where I live. I've been involved in a good few large/medium/small scale projects through all the different phases.

I've only recently started looking into this whole professional qualifications business so I'm just looking for some advice. Should I try and register with the newly set up ATR or would there be a benefit to me applying to CIAT? At the minute I have no real need to have the ability to be the DC or AC for any projects we undertake as the architect who employs me covers that base and his brother is also a chartered engineer within the firm.

Also a general question regarding membership, do I need to provide my own personal PI insurance or would I be covered under the firm's insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭atech

Only chartered architectural technologists can get on the CIAT register hence the reason less than 200 technologists have signed up to it so far.

With only 4 years experience I'm not sure if you will have sufficient experience to become chartered.
    Also I may be wrong but If you don't have a level 8 degree I think you may need to become a TCIAT before you can progress to MCIAT.

Regards the PI Insurance, as a member of CIAT if you are providing services for clients you need PII.

If the clients are part of the company the company PII will suffice but if you want to do private work on the side you'll need your own as the company PII probably won't cover that.

Hi jsn.mcclintock

atech is correct except to say you don't have to be Chartered to join the ATR. As in you don't have to become a full member of the CIAT to get on it.
    However the assessment process and qualification criteria to get on the ATR is the exact same as joining the CIAT except you don't do the final interview. I'm not sure why someone wouldn't go the final step as the interview is not difficult at all.

I would say you don't have the experience yet to become a full member but you should contact CIAT anyway and start the process. You can progress your membership along with your experience and eventually achieve full membership which will stand to you in the future.

The other option is to become an RIAI tech but you may as well burn your money in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jsn.mcclintock

Thanks for your replies!

I am in absolutely no rush to get chartered yet, I still have a lot to learn and I can even admit myself that there are still a lot of gaps in my knowledge. You can't rush experience. I wouldn't mind just starting to make baby steps now towards become chartered down the line. I had a once over of the various documents on the ATR website last night and my initual feeling towards the educational section is that my degree is very meagre compared to the requirements, I studied 3 years in the LYIT and I could/should have progressed to do Level 8 in Napier but personal and financial reasons at the time dissuaded me from doing it. In saying that, the professional section looks to be fairly well covered in the short space of time I've been in employment, I have been fortunate enough to have been involved in a good few projects at different stages doing different roles. I need to have a good discussion with my boss on Monday.

What would you recommend I do at this stage, apply to the ATR or apply to the CIAT? From reading here and other place, I don't think the RIAI is even close to being a runner!

CIAT should be your first port of call. you cant get on the ATR until you're experienced enough to join CIAT.
    Good Luck

JSN, you can join CIAT as a Associate (ACIAT) as you are currently employed. You do not have to do anything other than fill in the form and pay the subs. When you have more experience you can progress to TCIAT or MCIAT. There is a reasonable ammount of work involved in this but it is well worthwhile. MCIAT will allow inclusion on the ATR too as mentioned above.

for anyone who STILL thinks RIAI are a proper representative body for Technicians.....
    This is the second of the two new motions. It is being proposed by nine of the current RIAI Council members of whom two are RIAI Past Presidents. The original resolution was signed by the Architectural Technologist Member of the RIAI Council, Darren Bergin, but his name was not permitted for inclusion as Architectural Technologists are currently not recognised as full members under the RIAI By-Laws.

http://bregsforum.wordpress.com/2014/11/03/riai-egm-tuesday-4th-november-2014/

anybody still members of that sham, get out now!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

sydthebeat wrote: »
    for anyone who STILL thinks RIAI are a proper representative body
    anybody still members of that sham, get out now!!!!!

At the EGM tonight one if the supposed benefits of BCAR is that it puts clear water between architects & technicians.

Surprised it was said out loud.

Advertisement