Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheaper prescriptions thread [No imports discussion]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Their prices are online

https://healthwave.ie/price-list/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Thanks PJ but that's only a selection I think? They don't have lyrica listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭td2008

Yes - just give them a buzz and they'll let you know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭fulhamfan

Depending on where you live, you might want to try the Hilltop Pharmacy in Raheny. No joining fee and I have found them cheaper than Healthwave and needless to say way way cheaper than the normal guys. Also tried the North but no use as they will not substitute generic items where they don't stock the named drug. One example is an Epi Pen for folk with allergies. Main chemist 120, Healthwave 74 and Hilltop 49. Given I needed two this was a substantial saving and the Hilltop one was way better than the main chemist one as it came in a case.

All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Guys does anyone know if Healthwave will give you a price check on drugs without joining? I want to see if it is worth doing before joining (specifically for lyrica).

Thanks

Depending on the strength of the lyrica, some strenghts cost price is over the 144 DPS limit.
    Unfortunately the generic isn't licensed for neuropathic pain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

RainyDay wrote: »
    I've sent you my referral code by PM, which will get you €5 off the membership fee, and give me €10 off my next script.

I'd be happy to send to anyone else too, of course.

I found out the nice way that they actually give you €10 off the membership fee, and give me €25 off my next script, so I'm very, very happy to send anyone else the referral code by PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Lillian123

For anyone signing up to Healthwave I have a referral code for €10 off the membership, so would reduce it to €15 for the year.

PM if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

I was paying nearly 50 euro a month for blood pressure tablets and statins for high cholesterol, I am now paying 15 euro in Pure Pharmacy, Collins Avenue, near Donnycarney church. They also have other branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I see Healthwave also now offer 6 free deliveries per annum, used to be 4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

vicwatson wrote: »
    I see Healthwave also now offer 6 free deliveries per annum, used to be 4.
    That's great news - I don't know they manage to make money on this, but they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

There are some meds they are no cheaper for e.g. asthma so just make sure that whatever meds you use are cheaper before signing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I'm still getting my pills from the UK and sent over. Six month prescription would cost around €130/50 here. In UK I'm getting it around €30.

Scottie99 wrote: »
    I'm still getting my pills from the UK and sent over. Six month prescription would cost around €130/50 here. In UK I'm getting it around €30.
    Which pharmacy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

jmbkay wrote: »
    I was paying nearly 50 euro a month for blood pressure tablets and statins for high cholesterol, I am now paying 15 euro in Pure Pharmacy, Collins Avenue, near Donnycarney church. They also have other branches.

Do Pure Pharmacy publish their prices online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

jmbkay wrote: »

Nearly all statins are now subject to reference pricing. I'd say your blood pressure tablets are too. You'll get the same prices in more or less any pharmacy.

Nearly all statins are now subject to reference pricing. I'd say your blood pressure tablets are too. You'll get the same prices in more or less any pharmacy.
    My monthly BP meds (2 drugs) went from €33 in Boots to €16 in Healthwave. Boots told it that it wasn't worth going generic. Healthwave halved my bill.

THanks, for my BP meds, they seem to be dearer than Boots, let alone Healthwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Does chemist direct except Irish prescriptions . Have often bought toiletries of them and other generic over the counter items.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is illegal to have prescriptions delivered by post from outside the state - you may get away with it but if caught don't expect the products or a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

My monthly BP meds (2 drugs) went from €33 in Boots to €16 in Healthwave. Boots told it that it wasn't worth going generic. Healthwave halved my bill.

THanks, for my BP meds, they seem to be dearer than Boots, let alone Healthwave.
    Seems to be stories every other week on stations/BP Meds not being worth a fiddlers/doing more harm than anything. I'd be looking into them.

In other news, GPs are looking to get into the drug dispensing game (back into I should say), gonna start with the common Antibios, BP, Statins, this should hit prices even more.

http://www.thejournal.ie/medicines-dispensary-idea-plan-ipu-nagp-2772066-May2016/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

I find my Local Tesco pharmacy good, I usually buy 6 months of my BP and statins and they apply only one prescription charge, I asked at Boots and they just priced one months worth and multiplied it by 6, they gave me a printout! I dont know if this was just a lazy assistant or policy, my view is that you should only have to pay one prescription charge per transaction

• Registered Users Posts: 45 wertyu12

Can anyone PM the referral code if still available please?

Seems to be stories every other week on stations/BP Meds not being worth a fiddlers/doing more harm than anything. I'd be looking into them.
    Thanks, but I know exactly what they do for me. They bring my BP from 150/95 down to 120/80.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

Tombstone; You may well be right but you are in the wrong forum,
    This one is about the retail pricing of prescription drugs; not their use,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

My post (and the one I was responding to) was about another pharmacy, not Healthwave.

The Healthwave model is very good for certain people but it is not universally cheaper.

I honestly think if people went into their local pharmacy and had a chat with the pharmacist, they'd be surprised. Drug prices have come down massively in the last couple of years.

As someone else said, if you're on long-term medication like statins or ACE inhibitors, which are all very cheap now, buying them in 6-month batches works out a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Bebop wrote: »
    I find my Local Tesco pharmacy good, I usually buy 6 months of my BP and statins and they apply only one prescription charge, I asked at Boots and they just priced one months worth and multiplied it by 6, they gave me a printout! I dont know if this was just a lazy assistant or policy, my view is that you should only have to pay one prescription charge per transaction

Boots policy. They charge 6 dispensing fees for six months.
    Allcare charge one fee whether you get all six or one month and no markup. Lloyd's as far as I know have a similar pricing scheme as allcare. Not sure about the other chains/buying groups like haven and total health.

Honestly though go into your local pharmacy and ask them what they can do it for. Might have better chance of a discount if it's owner is present as opposed to a chain

Which pharmacy ?

From Chemistdirect website -

"Due to pharmacy legislation we cannot send prescription medications to Belgium, Spain, France, Ireland or Austria." Are you having them shipped to a friend/family and they are posting them over to you?

Honestly though go into your local pharmacy and ask them what they can do it for. Might have better chance of a discount if it's owner is present as opposed to a chain
    My post (and the one I was responding to) was about another pharmacy, not Healthwave.

The Healthwave model is very good for certain people but it is not universally cheaper.

I honestly think if people went into their local pharmacy and had a chat with the pharmacist, they'd be surprised. Drug prices have come down massively in the last couple of years.

As someone else said, if you're on long-term medication like statins or ACE inhibitors, which are all very cheap now, buying them in 6-month batches works out a lot cheaper.
    I agree, one model is not universally cheaper - always worth shopping around.

But I'm not so sure about this 'talk to your local pharmacist' stuff. We shouldn't have to go begging for decent non-rip-off prices. I had got the products from the local pharmacist from time to time, and he was even dearer than Boots.

So it's all to Healthwave now...

vicwatson wrote: »
    From Chemistdirect website -

"Due to pharmacy legislation we cannot send prescription medications to Belgium, Spain, France, Ireland or Austria."

I wonder if they do Parcel Motel?

• Advertisement

I wonder if they do Parcel Motel?

Might do, contact them?

Just remember
    L1011 wrote: »
    It is illegal to have prescriptions delivered by post from outside the state - you may get away with it but if caught don't expect the products or a refund.

Advertisement