Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my dog and putting him to sleep

Options
  • 20-02-2014 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

my dog Gizmo he was my first dog
    after many hours beggin my parents for a dog i went to a woman that her dog had pups my dad was doing a job for her
    Out came this handsome brown ball of fluff he chose me and i kept him in my arms all day before my dad finished his work the woman said u know u can take a puppy so we took him I WAS 10 AT THE TIME

now i am 30 and i had to make a decision that i never saw coming untill a few days ago
    My beautiful dog got a stroke and could bearly walk
    I was reluctant to bring him to the vet on the first day so i sat with him all night and gave him food and drink

by day 2 he was walking again but not quite what he used to .... that day 18th i went out to my best friend and he had fell over i brought him into the house and sat with him again only to see him get another stroke i rang my vets and asked to see them

taking him in my arms i brought him to the vet which i must say were lovely they had known me from bringing him in all the time... the vet when she saw me with him in a blanket and he was in a state like a coma she said ooooooooo noooooooo im so sorry i signed a waver and the vet confirmed a stroke

they asked me if i wanted to be there or leave the room while my mother and father were crying in the waiting room i wanted to be there for his last moment

His blood pressure was low and they had a hard time to get a needle into his vain but they did with a smaller needle

then with every ounce i had i kissed him good by i thought of us running together and playing when i was younger

i thought of when i had a bad day in class or school i ran home to him and we walked threw fields for hours ......

on the 19th my dad and i mad a coffin for him we put him into it we dug a hole and put my best friend to the ground we planted forget me nots and daffodils...

There is one thing that i cant deal with and this is why i am here and its the WHAT IF ...... could he be saved was i right to put him down and now i cant go out into my back yard or to the place where he was

IS THIS NORMAL?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It certainly is normal to think like that. All I can say is that it sounds like that beautiful dog had the best and most loving 20 years that any dog could have. He is lucky to have had you, and you him. It must be heartbreaking to wonder if there's anything more that could have been done but I do think that when it comes to looking after our dear friends in their old age it's better to go a day too early than a day too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

xcitin121 wrote: »
    There is one thing that i cant deal with and this is why i am here and its the WHAT IF ...... could he be saved was i right to put him down and now i cant go out into my back yard or to the place where he was

IS THIS NORMAL?

Oh, this is so very normal. But the love and care this dog obviously had throughout his life was well above normal. And 20 years old is an incredible age for any dog to reach.

Sounds to me as if you did absolutely exactly the right things at the end. too. While he was improving you were giving him every chance, hoping he might recover well enough to still lead a good life. But the moment things were obviously moving beyond this point, you had him straight to the vet, and eased his passing.

I would say I could wish a better fraction of the general population of dogs could have as good a life, so much love during the course of it, and particularly such a perfect ending.

I feel your pain so much. There is nothing quite like losing a pet that, so to speak, grew up with you. However much you think you are prepared, the end of that part of your life that the pet represented is such a crushing blow.

Hope you are looking after yourself really well just now, and well done again for giving this boy such a lovely life, and for being there for him in the very best way at the end.

Sorry, cross-posted with Kylith! I think we said pretty much the same things, Kylith, but you said it shorter, which is much better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 xcitin121

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOU COMMENTS ... IT HELPS TO KNOW THAT AT LEAST SOMEONE OUT THERE SEEMS TO THINK I DID GOOD BY HIM.. ITS THE SECOND GUESSING THAT I AM NOW COMING ROUND TO AFTER WE BURIED HIM I AM THINKING COULD I HAVE KEPT HIM FOR LONGER ... BUT YET AS EVERYTHING WE TRY TO HOLD ON TO THINGS WE LOVE AND ITS HARD TO SAY "THIS IS IT" BUT I TOLD MYSELF ID RATHER NOT SEE HIM IN ANOTHER WAY THEN WHAT I REMEMBERED AND GREW UP WITH....

I CANT BRING MYSELF TO CLEAN UP HIS BLANKET OR TOYS OR GO TO WHERE HE SLEPT.... SOME PEOPLE SAY ITS A DOG BUT TO ME HE WAS MY FAMILY ...

THANK U AGAIN FOR YOUR COMMENTS IT MEANS A LOT

I KNOW TIME IS A HEALER

DANIEL

I get the impression you've come to this decision already yourself, but I'd say don't rush yourself to dispose of his things. This comes across so strongly in what you say above, and I would agree that you weren't at all ready in your own mind to let him go, yet did so out of great compassion to your old friend.

He's gone, but you are in no place yet to move on from that. I'd hold on to his things in their usual places for a few weeks yet, and allow yourself to get used to the idea of them moving on too. If they're still in good nick, I'd donate them to a rescue: under these circumstances I'd say any new dog you choose to adopt down the road would be best to get his own new stuff, and make his own memories about his things with you.

I'll be thinking of you in the coming nights anyway. I've got some years on you, but still do remember what it was to lose those childhood pets, after embarking on adulthood!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

People who say it's a dog obviously don't have pets, we had to put our family dog down after 18 years with us it was the most heart breaking thing I have ever done but it was the right thing to do.

I still have her dog bowls and will never will give them away, you could give any food remaining to a local pound.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

That's so sad, I think you did the right thing by your dog though.
    He has an amazing 20 years.
    Thoughts are with you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Oh that brought a tear to my eye, bless your heart. What a beautiful dog and how lucky he was to have such a wonderful human as you. You did the right thing for him and you stayed with him as he slipped away, don't get rid of his things until you are ready, ignore anyone that says something as heartless and untrue as 'just a dog', all us dog lovers know they are so very much more than that. Allow yourself to grieve, give yourself time and look after yourself xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP how lucky were you to have your dog for so many years. He had reached an incredible age - you are so so so lucky to have had him for so long.
    You know you couldnt have kept him for a day longer than you did when he had had a stroke. It was his time, and you did exactly what you had to do - not leave him suffer or deteriorate for a minute longer than was necessary. He was your beloved friend, you took care of him and were responsible for his care and safely til the very end. THATS what it means to be a loving and responsible pet owner.

Time will heal your grief - and it is grief, real grief to loose a beloved pet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Sorry about your pal dude,
    Lost mine last year after 15 years still dream she is alive some nights,
    Twenty years is great going for a dog,
    Feel better soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

my dog Gizmo he was my first dog
    after many hours beggin my parents for a dog i went to a woman that her dog had pups my dad was doing a job for her
    Out came this handsome brown ball of fluff he chose me and i kept him in my arms all day before my dad finished his work the woman said u know u can take a puppy so we took him I WAS 10 AT THE TIME

now i am 30 and i had to make a decision that i never saw coming untill a few days ago
    My beautiful dog got a stroke and could bearly walk
    I was reluctant to bring him to the vet on the first day so i sat with him all night and gave him food and drink

by day 2 he was walking again but not quite what he used to .... that day 18th i went out to my best friend and he had fell over i brought him into the house and sat with him again only to see him get another stroke i rang my vets and asked to see them

taking him in my arms i brought him to the vet which i must say were lovely they had known me from bringing him in all the time... the vet when she saw me with him in a blanket and he was in a state like a coma she said ooooooooo noooooooo im so sorry i signed a waver and the vet confirmed a stroke

they asked me if i wanted to be there or leave the room while my mother and father were crying in the waiting room i wanted to be there for his last moment

His blood pressure was low and they had a hard time to get a needle into his vain but they did with a smaller needle

then with every ounce i had i kissed him good by i thought of us running together and playing when i was younger

i thought of when i had a bad day in class or school i ran home to him and we walked threw fields for hours ......

on the 19th my dad and i mad a coffin for him we put him into it we dug a hole and put my best friend to the ground we planted forget me nots and daffodils...

IS THIS NORMAL?
    your dog is beautiful, had a beautiful life with you as his friend, and hope he is out of pain and back to himself in the place he is gone to,
    i know what it is like to lose a beautiful dog, they are so good and brilliant companions,
    yours look like he had a lovely character,
    our dogs are family members,
    my story was something the same as yours when i had to go and have her put to sleep, it still saddens me 2 yrs later, i have her buried in my front garden, where i feel she will protect me,
    you will hurt for a long time, you had him so long and grew up with him, you a child to adult, he puppy to dog,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I had to put down my cat four years ago. I still miss him terribly.

I've still got the throw he slept on in our spare room. Complete with cat hair. I can't bear to throw it away, so my husband put it in a bag and it's in the loft.

I've still got his blankets, cat carrier, basket, bowls and some of his toys (which have now been taken over by the dog! :pac:). Never can bring myself to throw/give them away.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: It's OK to keep a reminder of Gizmo. He was your best mate. Don't be in a hurry to throw anything of his away. Take your time.

Run free, and in no more pain Gizmo. RIP :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Something like this happened with me and my family dog a couple of years ago, he fell a little ill and after a couple of dogs was barely able to do anything, brought him to the vet was told his kidneys and/or liver were failing...vet said he could try and couple of treatments but in all likelihood he wouldn't work(gave me a 5% chance), I ask the vet what sort of pain was he in, the vet replied a lot, so i made the most horrible decision to let him go, as I didn't feel it was right to extend his horrible pain...Afterwards I felt the worst I've ever felt, cried more for my dog than I'd cried for any of my family passing...But it was the right thing to do for him after being such a great companion for me for so many years and i think OP you did the right thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

I can't remember when I cried last, but that OP has me in bits.

I'm sorry about your dog.

And now I can't wait to get home to give my lad a hug

Thank you all for your lovely messages

reading them has made me feel better and today i got a card from the vet posted to our family

the front of the card said with sympathy over the loss of your pet

Inside it said
    To the Ryan family

our sympathy over the loss of GIZMO

Regards the mulcair veterinary team

It put a smile on my face to know he was not just another dog that they put down and that they acknowledged my dog..

I feel better and i hope my story has helped as well as ye have in replying to my post

Daniel

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Josh got an extra long hug from me. I've only had him 15 months but I cant imagine life without him now. 20 years is the longest I've ever heard of a dog living and you should dwell on the great years if anything. Gizmo must have been treated like royalty to live that long.
    We all go sometime, we dont all get 20 dog-years.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Sorry to hear of the loss of you best friend op. Your post reminded me of a poem I had read before. It is the greatest kindness you can give to your faithful friend when the time comes. He spent his first moments with you in your arms and his last moments with you in your arms.

The Last Battle
    If it should be that I grow frail and weak
    And pain should keep me from my sleep,
    Then will you do what must be done,
    For this — the last battle — can't be won.
    You will be sad I understand,
    But don't let grief then stay your hand,
    For on this day, more than the rest,
    Your love and friendship must stand the test.
    We have had so many happy years,
    You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
    When the time comes, please, let me go.
    Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
    Only, stay with me till the end
    And hold me firm and speak to me
    Until my eyes no longer see.
    I know in time you will agree
    It is a kindness you do to me.
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    From pain and suffering I have been saved.
    Don't grieve that it must be you
    Who has to decide this thing to do;
    We've been so close — we two — these years,
    Don't let your heart hold any tears.
    — Unknown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

So sorry for your loss OP. I'm on a train in England right now in tears!

You did right by Gizmo and he was gorgeous. I had our childhood dog Cody for 17 years and I know how heartbreaking it is to loose them.

Mind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

We have had to put down 3 family dogs over the years and we regretted everyone initially but realise now it was the right thing to do. I was present for one of them. I had left home but my father rang me to tell me what had to be done so i rushed home Cos he was "my" dog. The vet came and we all cried like babies. We buried him and i swore i would never become as attached to a dog again. But then roxy came along and i know i will probably have to go through it all again.but it is worth it. I wrote this cos i read the battle above and stsrted to cry like a baby even though its 11 years since we lost jake. I went to the dogs trust lately and cried cos i thought of jake . Which is all fine but im 6ft 4in and weigh 17.5 st so look like a complete idiot when blubbing . You just do what you have to do to get through this and in time your memories Will increasingly become more of the happy times.when i think of jake now it mostly brings a smile to my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭jimf

We have had to put down 3 family dogs over the years and we regretted everyone initially but realise now it was the right thing to do. I was present for one of them. I had left home but my father rang me to tell me what had to be done so i rushed home Cos he was "my" dog. The vet came and we all cried like babies. We buried him and i swore i would never become as attached to a dog again. But then roxy came along and i know i will probably have to go through it all again.but it is worth it. I wrote this cos i read the battle above and stsrted to cry like a baby even though its 11 years since we lost jake. I went to the dogs trust lately and cried cos i thought of jake . Which is all fine but im 6ft 4in and weigh 17.5 st so look like a complete idiot when blubbing . You just do what you have to do to get through this and in time your memories Will increasingly become more of the happy times.when i think of jake now it mostly brings a smile to my face.

in that big body frame dwells a heart of gold loss of our of 4 legged buddies make us all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Always a tough thing to do. I was there two see two over my pet be put to sleep over the years. A cat and a dog. They were both heartbreaking moments. I found a sense of relief from seeing them go peacefully under the care of the vet. It was horrible to see either of them suffer. My sister on the other hand didn't want to be there at their last moment. Sound like you had 20 wonderful year with you dog.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I welled up reading your op. It's hard, bit time heals all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

20 years is amazing.you have memories to cherish forever.

Thank you all for your lovely messages

reading them has made me feel better and today i got a card from the vet posted to our family

the front of the card said with sympathy over the loss of your pet

Inside it said
    To the Ryan family

our sympathy over the loss of GIZMO

Regards the mulcair veterinary team

It put a smile on my face to know he was not just another dog that they put down and that they acknowledged my dog..

I feel better and i hope my story has helped as well as ye have in replying to my post

Daniel

Oh, it is bittersweet when the vet clinic sends out cards like that! Bairbre O'Malley treated 2 elderly ferrets for me a couple of years ago, and gave each a wonderful lease of life for a few months at the end. After I lost each of them, the beautiful cards she sent certainly made me feel my pets were special to their carers, and not only to us.

I still have both her condolence cards tucked away in a drawer, and when I take then out now and again, it makes the memories of those ferrets feel nearer! I do very much think that a good "bedside manner" is important in a vet, just as much as in a doctor :)

Thank you all for your comments .... means alot to me

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭puppieperson

What a lovely cherished dog, you had and how kind you were in end to do what was right and stay with him. You are a good person some day another lucky dog will find you and help you to be happy again. RIP Gizmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

ferretone wrote: »
    I do very much think that a good "bedside manner" is important in a vet, just as much as in a doctor :)

I do so agree. Our current vet is lovely not just with our dog but with chickens and ducks too. I don't mind that they don't know, if they say they have to look something up or check on something. I do mind that they care. Unfortunately our dog doesn't recipricate, as soon as we get into the vet's sugery he pees against the wall - he's a big dog and I'm sure he must save it up deliberately.

OP Gizmo was a lovely dog and you were both very lucky to have had each other. Your story made me think I had something in my eye (that's what I told my wife anyway).

Good Luck and I hope you feel better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Its normal. No matter what we choose we will always battle these thoughts. My dog died 3 years ago, she wasn't pts, but she had been sick for a long time...and even now sometimes my demons come to me at night and I am consumed by guilt thinking I was selfish to keep her alive. Making the decision to have your dog pts is a very difficult and selfless one, and often more selfless than prolonging suffering.

In the end, it doesnt matter whether it was "right" or "wrong" - what matters is we know we made our decisions with their interests at heart. That it was their needs and our love for them that guided us at the last hurdle, when they needed us most.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Hope you're feeling better now op, beautiful Gizmo had a wonderful life with you.X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

So so sorry.was age that caught up with you're poor dog,and there is absolutely nothing that you could have done.obviously much loved and one of the Lucky ones.sometimes the bravest(and hardest) decision you can make is to call a vet in and see a sleepy,peaceful end,rather than pain ,confusion,and the same end anyway.you dI'd right by him.have had to do the same a couple or times,and of course it breaks your heart.far kinder and bettter and braver though.wherever he is,bet he's wagging his tail.xxx

Advertisement