Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible HIN1 (Swine Flu) is back in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

wil wrote: »
    Can anyone recall where they may have caught it?
    A lot of it about.
    Everything points to a an outbreak of bad burgers or a dodgy pint.

Well the first one to get sick was 15 months old so we can rule out dodgy pints...I think. ;)
    I don't think he sneaked out for a burger either so we'll rule that out.

Genuinely, it seems half the town has it. We had been without water during the storms and some people blamed the tanker water we were offered. But we didn't get any of that so... Its just one of those nasty bugs...whatever of them is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

What is your problem?

People who going around spreading fear about rational science that prevents deaths is one of my problems. Your OP was exactly that, ill-informed fearmongering.
    I have tried to be nice throughout your rude & illiterate comments.
    Rude? Where?

Calling me illiterate is just funny.
    Just to inform you.. The person did not receive the jab? What do you make of that?

That a jab would have prevented them getting very ill and potentially dying and spreading the virus. Have they learn now?

You are quiet pathetic!

...and yet I am the rude and illiterate one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Had it last year ,spend 13 days in an isolation room in tallaght hospital ,it nearly killed me literally ,
    12 months later my respiratory system hasn't full recovered,

A lot of people are self diagnosing swine flu despite not having consulted any medical professionals ,
    Most people can't tell the difference between a common cold and standard influenza

Chucken wrote: »
    Well the first one to get sick was 15 months old so we can rule out dodgy pints...I think. ;)
    I don't think he sneaked out for a burger either so we'll rule that out.

Genuinely, it seems half the town has it. We had been without water during the storms and some people blamed the tanker water we were offered. But we didn't get any of that so... Its just one of those nasty bugs...whatever of them is!!

Nonovirus vaccine on the way.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/267086.php

Gatling wrote: »
    Had it last year ,spend 13 days in an isolation room in tallaght hospital ,it nearly killed me literally ,

Sorry to hear that.

Flu jab this year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

MadsL wrote: »
    In-depth? You do know how they develop each season's vaccine. Have you read ANYTHING about flu vaccines based on solid science.

Flu viruses are constantly changing or mutating so a new vaccine must be developed each year.

Oh, so because it didn't seem that bad to you didn't mean that a person that you infected and the person they infected didn't die.

Herd immunity relies on everyone as far as possible getting the jab.

Clearly makes you immune from being considerate of others less healthy than you.
    Wow!! The vaccination wasnt even available when I got it I was one of the first confirmed cases in my town and I definetely didnt go out and purposely infect anyone I was just saying that as bad as it was Ive had worse illnesses. Im all for the vaccination by the way. No need for the insults!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sorry to hear that.

Flu jab this year?

Absolutely

Unfortunately its a risk i can't afford to gamble with ,

Somebody sneezing near me sends me into panic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭ShaneSheep555

deseil wrote: »
    Wow!! The vaccination wasnt even available when I got it I was one of the first confirmed cases in my town and I definetely didnt go out and purposely infect anyone I was just saying that as bad as it was Ive had worse illnesses. Im all for the vaccination by the way. No need for the insults!!

He is quiet the genius Deseil!
    Oh and not rude at all :)

deseil wrote: »

Your post gives the impression that flu is overated and that there is no need to vaccinate. Apologies if that was not your intent.

I'm delighted that you are now supporting vaccination, please tell everyone to get vaccinated. I trust you had your jab this year?

He is quiet the genius Deseil!
    Oh and not rude at all :)

I'm not a genius. Just smart enough to get a flu jab and not ignorant enough to come out with absurd statements about not knowing what is in the flu jab.

Now, what other medicines would you like taken off the market?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

Ok guys just to clear things up..

I'm not here to tell people NOT to get this flu jab, I am simply just stating that there have been cases where people have had bad side effects and even been diagnosed with ' Narcolepsy '. - http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/swine-flu-jab-linked-to-narcolepsy-29096716.html

I'm giving MY personal opinion on MY thoughts towards this Vaccine.

The point of me posting the Thread was to find out what people's opinions are towards the vaccine.

Shane, just to clarify - it was the Pandemrix vaccine which was linked to narcolepsy. There are others on the market which do not share that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'm not a genius. Just smart enough to get a flu jab and not ignorant enough to come out with absurd statements about not knowing what is in the flu jab.

Can you please stop being so confrontational and trying to start an argument in this thread?

Hold on one second, Did I say I WANTED this vaccine to be taken off the market?

For the second time now just to inform you, I never once said that people should NOT get this vaccine? The whole point of this thread is to get other people's opinions on this subject as there are MANY other people that question the vaccine.

It is quiet sad that I have to explain the point of this thread for you twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

Gatling wrote: »

A lot of people are self diagnosing swine flu despite not having consulted any medical professionals ,
    Most people can't tell the difference between a common cold and standard influenza

Don't get me started on people saying they have the 'flu' when they have a bloody cough. I remember a girl I know had the 'flu' of a Thursday was 'dying and couldn't get out of bed'. I go to a gaff party the next night and ask a lad we know how she was, 'ask her yourself' says he, 'she's in the kitchen.' You don't go from having the flu to drinking at a house party in the space of 24 hours. An insane number of people call anything more than a tickle in their throat, the 'flu'. It's a pain in the boll0cks.

Hold on one second, Did I say I WANTED this vaccine to be taken off the market?

For the second time now just to inform you, I never once said that people should NOT get this vaccine? The whole point of this thread is to get other people's opinions on this subject as there are MANY other people that question the vaccine.

It is quiet sad that I have to explain the point of this thread for you twice.

So your purpose in starting the thread is to provide a platform for people who 'question' the vaccine to have their say, despite having no medical training.

So your purpose in starting the thread is to provide a platform for people who 'question' the vaccine to have their say, despite having no medical training.

Well now, in all fairness we're all entitled to our opinion.
    We discuss politics here without ever setting foot inside the dail.
    We discuss the economy while probably not being able to manage the pay packet.

Do you have medical training?

Now for the THIRD TIME because you are clearly thick. The point of this thread is to get other people's opinions on this subject as there are MANY other people that question the vaccine.

I Will not be explaining this again.

Have a nice night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

I felt the vaccine was rushed without adequate testing in order to line the pockets of big pharma. I did get swine flu (doctor confirmed) but it was a mild dose (I got the real flu years ago and it nearly killed me). I await further side effects from the untested vaccine.

Well now, in all fairness we're all entitled to our opinion.
    We discuss politics here without ever setting foot inside the dail.
    We discuss the economy while probably not being able to manage the pay packet.

Do you have medical training?

Nope. That's why we train people as doctors and scientist so that they can objectively figure this stuff out with the aid of facts rather than woo-doo.

Now believe what you like, have whatever opinions you like. But when you lack of following objectively good advice impacts on those I care about potentially fatally as they are in a high risk group, well, I get to voice MY opinion loudly.

I felt the vaccine was rushed without adequate testing in order to line the pockets of big pharma. I did get swine flu (doctor confirmed) but it was a mild dose (I got the real flu years ago and it nearly killed me). I await further side effects from the untested vaccine.

Thank you Spring! This is the PURPOSE of this thread - People's OPINIONS :)

• Advertisement

I think MadsL got some anger issues from the vaccine.

So it was rushed to meet the demands of a virus that will have mutated by next year, huh, wonder why they didn't wait another year to bring it out.

And was it untested, or not adequate tested? If it was untested, then how come it was not adequately tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Thank you Spring! This is the PURPOSE of this thread - People's OPINIONS :)

But the thing is, people's opinions mean sfa without some sort of scientific study to back it up. I could just as easily say I don't think taking vitamin supplements is a good idea because I don't know what's in them.
    The fact is, vaccines save millions of lives and can be essential in today's world. People saying that the vaccines cause more harm etc is just uninformed pub talk.

So it was rushed to meet the demands of a virus that will have mutated by next year, huh, wonder why they didn't wait another year to bring it out.

And was it untested, or not adequate tested? If it was untested, then how come it was not adequately tested?

Is that the best you can do?

Look I am happy in the knowledge that people like you are testing it for me.

Nope. That's why we train people as doctors and scientist so that they can objectively figure this stuff out with the aid of facts rather than woo-doo.

Like they did with thalidomide?
    Sorry but sometimes the cure can be worse than the disease.

I think MadsL got some anger issues from the vaccine.

I get annoyed with people spouting pseudo-scientific opinion with no basis in fact when it potentially kills people. Did you miss the link about over 200 people dying in LA in the latest outbreak.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    But the thing is, people's opinions mean sfa without some sort of scientific study to back it up. I could just as easily say I don't think taking vitamin supplements is a good idea because I don't know what's in them.
    The fact is, vaccines save millions of lives and can be essential in today's world. People saying that the vaccines cause more harm etc is just uninformed pub talk.

I have taken many other vaccines and would encourage people and children to do but not swine flu when it was first produced.
    Pharma have made mistakes before and will again.

Like they did with thalidomide?
    Sorry but sometimes the cure can be worse than the disease.

Is the cure worse than the disease in this case? Serious question.

Thalidomide is still on the market and is used in leprosy and canncr treatment. The 50s and 60s example lead to more structured drug regulations and controls.

Science learns from its mistakes. Fear simply replicates without basis in fact.

Is that the best you can do?

It is a legitimate question, what do you meant by suggesting it was "untested"?
    Look I am happy in the knowledge that people like you are testing it for me.

Would you like to be more explicit about what you mean by that?

• Advertisement

Is the cure worse than the disease in this case? Serious question.

Thalidomide is still on the market and is used in leprosy and canncr treatment. The 50s and 60s example lead to more structured drug regulations and controls.

Big Money trumps regulations every time!

Advertisement