Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it possible HIN1 (Swine Flu) is back in Ireland?

Options
  • 18-02-2014 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

In the last month or so I have heard so many people being sick!
    The flu symptoms are usually : Nausea, Fever,Headache,Vomiting etc..

I have recently been in hospital with a family member and she was told she had the 'H1N1' flu which as far as I know is also known as Swine Flu?

Also what is your opinion on this ' Swine Flu Jab ' ?

I personally did not get the jab because we really don't know what's in it?

And especially with ' the Risk of narcolepsy 13 times higher after the vaccine'

What is your opinion on this? Did you get the Flu jab and if so did you experience any side effects?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

And especially with ' the Risk of narcolepsy 13 times higher after the vaccine'

What is your opinion on this? Did you get the Flu jab and if so did you experience any side effects?

Except we do know what's in it? Got the jab, no side effects. No sickness. Happy out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

GenieOz wrote: »
    Except we do know what's in it? Got the jab, no side effects. No sickness. Happy out.

Had discussion with a friend whose anti-vaccine, basically thinks its a scam run by the pharmaceutical companies. I had to disagree with him. I asked how many people are alive now who would have died without vaccines? I also told him if a deadly disease broke out (something like the Spanish Flu) people would step over each other to get their hands on a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Here in the UK, it's standard to get the flu vaccine when pregnant, which I am. During the last couple of months I've been exposed to people who became really ill with flu and have thankfully managed to avoid it so personally I'd recommend getting the jab to anyone who thinks they are at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Here's a thread just for you....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057150471

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭ShaneSheep555

MadsL wrote: »

There is no need to resort to stupid and worthless links, I stated ' What is your opinion on the swine flu jab'.. that is all I want to know.

Thanks ;)

Swine flu is rampant in Egypt, with over 50 deaths since december 2013

So OP, avoid those who return from Egypt for a while...;)

There is no need to resort to stupid and worthless links, I stated ' What is your opinion on the swine flu jab'.. that is all I want to know.

Thanks ;)

'We' (science) know what is in the flu jab. End of.

So your statement is simply woo-doo.

Vaccines work best when the majority of people take them, and by not having a jab you risk other people's lives since flu can be fatal. My wife is one person who is very much at risk from respiratory conditions so people who run around spreading nonsense about flu jabs endanger her life. So forgive me if I haven't much time for the woo-doo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

So your statement is simply woo-doo.

Don't you mean woo-woo?

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Don't you mean woo-woo?

No, I mean woo-doo, even the OP isn't as foolish to believe in woo-woo.

Here's a picture of a woo-doo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Had my vaccination so don't care.

There is no need to resort to stupid and worthless links,

Physician, heal thyself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I was in sweden last week and there were three suspected cases there. At least I think it was swine flu, my swedish is not very good.

Ok guys just to clear things up..

I'm not here to tell people NOT to get this flu jab, I am simply just stating that there have been cases where people have had bad side effects and even been diagnosed with ' Narcolepsy '. - http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/swine-flu-jab-linked-to-narcolepsy-29096716.html

I'm giving MY personal opinion on MY thoughts towards this Vaccine.

The point of me posting the Thread was to find out what people's opinions are towards the vaccine.

Ok guys just to clear things up..

I'm not here to tell people NOT to get this flu jab, I am simply just stating that there have been cases where people have had bad side effects and even been diagnosed with ' Narcolepsy '. - http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/swine-flu-jab-linked-to-narcolepsy-29096716.html

I'm giving MY personal opinion on MY thoughts towards this Vaccine.

The point of me posting the Thread was to find out what people's opinions are towards the vaccine.

There are also studies in China that show that the incidence rate of narcolepsy developing are related to the seasonality of H1N1.

Cause and effect confusion?

Tell me, which is a worse outcome, narcolepsy or death?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Nausea, Fever,Headache,Vomiting etc..

All the family got these symptoms over the weekend. It was rough but 24 hours later we were all ok.

Chucken wrote: »

All the family got these symptoms over the weekend. It was rough but 24 hours later we were all ok.

Glad to hear you were all okay! :)

http://med.stanford.edu/ism/2013/december/narcolepsy.html

These findings also indicate that the H1N1 studies may actually advance attempts to find a cure for narcolepsy.

There are also studies in China that show that the incidence rate of narcolepsy developing are related to the seasonality of H1N1.

Cause and effect confusion?

Tell me, which is a worse outcome, narcolepsy or death?

Tell me, how could we avoid both of these? You seem to be quiet the genius..

Tell me, how could we avoid both of these? You seem to be quiet the genius..

Are you familiar at all with the concept of relative risk?

Your risk of dying from H1N1 is significantly higher than your risk of contracting narcolepsy from a flu jab.

So a tiny, tiny unproven risk of narcolepsy or a greater proven risk of death, what's it to be?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

Are you familiar at all with the concept of relative risk?

Your risk of dying from H1N1 is significantly higher than your risk of contracting narcolepsy from a flu jab.

So a tiny, tiny unproven risk of narcolepsy or a greater proven risk of death, what's it to be?

Yes I understand that.

My point is - Why are the people that get the flu jab subjected to the possibility that they MAY develop narcolepsy?

Yes I do know that.

My point is - Why are the people that get the flu jab subjected to the possibility that they MAY develop narcolepsy?

So we should remove all medicines that have potential sideffects proven or unproven?

And the tiny chance that you may get narcolepsy outweighs the hundreds of lives saved each year.

So we should remove all medicines that have potential sideffects proven or unproven?

And the tiny chance that you may get narcolepsy outweighs the hundreds of lives saved each year.

No we should have been more in-depth with the research of the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Chucken wrote: »

Can anyone recall where they may have caught it?
    A lot of it about.
    Everything points to a an outbreak of bad burgers or a dodgy pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

I think the whole Swine flu thing was over exaggerated at the time, the usual media scare mongering... fair enough its dangerous for old or vunerable people to get but no worse than the normal flu. I got it at the peak of the outbreaks in 2009(swab test positive) i was grand after 2 days it was a horrible dose but not as bad as I had been led to believe, Ive had worse hangovers to be honest.
    Once you've had it and fought it off does it make you immune from reinfection?

deseil wrote: »
    I think the whole Swine flu thing was over exaggerated at the time, the usual media scare mongering... fair enough its dangerous for old or vunerable people to get but no worse than the normal flu. I got it at the peak of the outbreaks in 2009(swab test positive) i was grand after 2 days it was a horrible dose but not as bad as I had been led to believe, Ive had worse hangovers to be honest.

You were quiet lucky! I know a family member that was recently diagnosed with H1N1 and she was extremely sick. I suppose it effects people in different ways!

Yes I understand that.

No we should have been more in-depth with the research of the vaccine.

In-depth? You do know how they develop each season's vaccine. Have you read ANYTHING about flu vaccines based on solid science.

Flu viruses are constantly changing or mutating so a new vaccine must be developed each year.
    deseil wrote: »

Oh, so because it didn't seem that bad to you didn't mean that a person that you infected and the person they infected didn't die.

Herd immunity relies on everyone as far as possible getting the jab.

Clearly makes you immune from being considerate of others less healthy than you.

You were quiet lucky! I know a family member that was recently diagnosed with H1N1 and she was extremely sick. I suppose it effects people in different ways!

If only there were a simple vaccine that could have prevented that...

oh wait.

• Advertisement

If only there were a simple vaccine that could have prevented that...

oh wait.

What is your problem?

I have tried to be nice throughout your rude & illiterate comments.

Just to inform you.. The person did not receive the jab? What do you make of that?

You are quiet pathetic!

Advertisement