Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leading Irish Jumps trainer facing drugs charges

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

I am shocked

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

mdwexford wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure Arkle was on the gear.

Didn't they give him a few bottles of Guinness every day? He'd probably fail a drugs test these days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Well that's the pup!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

Strange that the Dept of Agriculture is involved in this but there isn't a peep out of the Turf Club. I would've thought it was the TC that carried out such tests. Then again, maybe they referred it to the Dept of Agriculture....

From listening to NewsTalk and Ivan Yates this morning, he said the Dept of Agriculture would be solely there for the welfare of the animals. It was the responsibility of the Turf Club do the drug tests. The substances mentioned by Yates were meant to be administered only by vets. If there is no record of a vet administring, then this would going against DoA guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Gigginstown have spoken.....pretty damning on Dept of Agriculture too

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/465/9172102/gigginstown-backing-for-fenton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭shamdrog63

Stanozolol was the drug Ben Johnson was caught on.[/QUOTE]

Correction...He wasn,t caught til he came off it.The Fcuker was uncatchable when he was on it.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Interesting comments from Eddie. Probably wouldn't be too worried about any ante post bets on LI. It was infact the issue from 30 or so months ago, not a fresh incident, as I had thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

"He has never had a positive test for anything"

Really Eddie? What about when Dunguib was disqualified from the Punchestown Champion Bumper for testing positive for a banned substance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Dont think much of that gigginstown release.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Gigginstown obviously looking to protect their Gold Cup hopes reputation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Odds comments from Eddie, "If a horse gets colic, you sometimes have to treat it yourself or it could be dead by the time the vet gets there", and there I am thinking they found steroids in his yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭BangBeater

A question for anyone in the know about this. So in the news story there are a few drugs listed that were discovered at his yard in 2012.

"Fenton has been charged with the possession of a number of prohibited substances, including Nitrotain, which contains the anabolic steroid ethylestranol, and Ilium Stanabolic, which contains stanozolol.

Fenton is also charged with possession of a number of antibiotics without veterinary prescriptions, namely Engemycin, Neomycin Penicillin, Betamoz LA and Marbocyl."

In terms of these substances being illegal, why so?

More importantly for my information what is it that they do to a horse? Increase muscle growth and make them better horses for racing? Do all the above prohibited substances do this or what are they for?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

Picture of dunguib schooling...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

MinisterJD wrote: »
    Apologies may be accepted when ye're ready,just trying to educate the forum but was met with multiple hostile responses!!

MinisterJD, all information posted here has to be substantiated, especially when it comes to legal cases, as otherwise posts could be deemed to be libellous.

And on another somewhat related matter: Just a warning to all users to be very careful what's posted about the incident due to the pending case.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Huntley

http://www.irishracing.com/news?prid=74829&headline=Hughes-facing-court-charges

I wasn't aware this case had been adjourned last week. I had never heard of the issues with Philip Fenton until they became public but I would be interested to see the list of other potential cases. I'd imagine had there been more extensive research with John Hughes that there would have been some interesting findings with regards distribution of products.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

Secret Cargo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Should have been warned off for life but this sport has a longstanding habit of welcoming those who damage it back with open arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

lemush wrote: »
    Should have been warned off for life but this sport has a longstanding habit of welcoming those who damage it back with open arms.

What sport has a life time ban for a first doping offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Pogue eile wrote: »
    What sport has a life time ban for a first doping offence?

Racing is unique due to the huge gambling element of the sport. A three year ban for systematic doping of horses in his stable was lenient to say the least. Certain offences should result in a lifetime ban and knowingly doping your horses which in turn misleads the public who fund the sport is one of them imo, not to mention the animal welfare ramifications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

As long as his horse wins today all will be forgiven

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

Racing is unique due to the huge gambling element of the sport. A three year ban for systematic doping of horses in his stable was lenient to say the least. Certain offences should result in a lifetime ban and knowingly doping your horses which in turn misleads the public who fund the sport is one of them imo, not to mention the animal welfare ramifications.

There was stories of him being the fall guy and that there was a list of other offenders that never came to light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Moral of the story here is if you're going to give the horses drugs then do it at a location unconnected with the trainer or the yard.

If you think that this kind of carry on is not rife in Irish racing then you're kidding yourself IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

While the bolded part is most likely true, there is absolutely no proof of same and he was not convicted of that offence.

The fact that people gamble on the sport is irrelevant and every professional sport is funded by the public.

Advertisement