Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leading Irish Jumps trainer facing drugs charges

Options
  • 17-02-2014 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭

Breaking news on racing post news live

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Anyone know who it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭flashjohn

Presumably near carrick. don't want to name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

A LEADING Irish jumps trainer is due to appear before Carrick on Suir district court on Thursday charged with possession of prohibited animal remedies.

Read the full story at: http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/top-irish-trainer-facing-drugs-charges/1607870/

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Huntley

The closest thing to Pat Hughes being a leading Irish trainer is Willie Mullins's yard up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭LutherBlissett

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/jockey-and-trainer-seek-halt-to-turf-club-inquiry-1.1509958

This is also on this week, potentially far reaching consequences seemingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 MinisterJD

:)The previously mentioned trainer trains in Carlow.

It's a much bigger fish than that!!and he has previous

I'd strongly suggest people don't name names without being able to quote verifiable sources in the public domain tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mohican22

I'd strongly suggest people don't name names without being able to quote verifiable sources in the public domain tbh....

Agree with this as much as id like to know if no verifiable source,stop speculating

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

I'd be very careful where you were throwing allegations like that around about Fenton, sir.

Pat Hughes has an ongoing case against him related to unauthorised animal remedies. I would presume this is it, and if it isn't, the above has still been public knowledge for a number of months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Getoffmytrain

Leading Irish trainer Philip Fenton in court on steroid charges

• Hearing on Nitrotain and stanozolol is scheduled for Thursday
    • Cheltenham Gold Cup fourth favourite Last Instalment in yard

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/feb/17/philip-fenton-court-drugs-charges

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭handsfree

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Well then. Hands held up. Word was it was Hughes as Huntley said above has an ongoing case against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 MinisterJD

Apologies may be accepted when ye're ready,just trying to educate the forum but was met with multiple hostile responses!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

I hope the ****er hasnt given anything to Last Instalment that could get him banned.

It is an ongoing case for the last two years it seems. No different from the half a dozen others in the pipeline then.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭handsfree

Huntley wrote: »
    It is an ongoing case for the last two years it seems. No different from the half a dozen others in the pipeline then.

it makes you wonder why the story is only being released now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Ah for fcuk sake. Presumed for the life me it wasn't a 'leading' trainer.

MinisterJD wrote: »
    Apologies may be accepted when ye're ready

For what?

I've gotten a PM on here and a pile of text msgs suggesting the same name but I didn't post as they were unsubstanciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Personally - I think they should drug all horses up to the eye balls. Can you
    Imagine sprinter sacre on steroids..he would no longer be an airplane he'd be a space rocket. Imperial shabra would win another G1 and we' have record times being broken every week ;-)

Can you imagine the craic in the stables. The shark Hanlon going around with needles the size of a small torpedo..."wait til ye see this sh*t..I got this in Thailand, they use it for elephants who want to slam dunk basketballs on 2 legs"!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

ste2010 wrote: »
    Personally - I think they should drug all horses up to the eye balls. Can you
    Imagine sprinter sacre on steroids..he would no longer be an airplane he'd be a space rocket. Imperial shabra would win another G1 and we' have record times being broken every week ;-)

Can you imagine the craic in the stables. The shark Hanlon going around with needles the size of a small torpedo..."wait til ye see this sh*t..I got this in Thailand, they use it for elephants who want to slam dunk basketballs on 2 legs"!

How do you know Sprinter Sacre isn't on them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Can he get a ban if none of his horses failed a test?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

finbarrk wrote: »

There's probably a rule around bringing the sport into disrepute

finbarrk wrote: »

Chairman of The Turf Club said “We are aware there is a case coming up and we will be there to see what happens. Once the case has concluded, we will take any appropriate action.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/racing/philip-fenton-faces-charges-of-possession-of-banned-substances-1.1694980

If he is found guilty he would have a criminal conviction under the animal remedies act so I would imagine there is something in their rules around this

Stanozolol was the drug Ben Johnson was caught on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

can we please put away the pitchforks til after Thursday?
    last time I checked people are innocent until proven guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

i guess that you have never been charged with a crime in the u.s. guilty until proven innocent is the unwritten law.

I don't think anyone said he is guilty, if he isn't someone in his yard is otherwise no charges would have made it to court.

As far as I know possession of the steroids is illegal and they found some in his yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mulbot

How do you know Sprinter Sacre isn't on them

hahahaha,with nenderson's history it be good bet!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Strange that the Dept of Agriculture is involved in this but there isn't a peep out of the Turf Club. I would've thought it was the TC that carried out such tests. Then again, maybe they referred it to the Dept of Agriculture....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I'm fairly sure Arkle was on the gear.

Advertisement