Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Night Show 15 Feb 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

fussyonion wrote: »
    Thank you!:rolleyes:

Hope to see you again next week:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I'm sick of these people trying to paint the picture of nasty banks and good honest folk who have the plug pulled on them. Car dealers were doing a roaring trade and many of them expanded their premises, and borrowed to do this. That's what Cullen did. Then the cars stopped selling, and the mortgages couldn't be paid. Cheques start bouncing, the banks get jittery and call in the receivers. They take everything before the money goes to another jurisdiction or the people try and go the bankruptcy route in the UK. Bill and Jackie, you got in over your heads. You are telling everyone that you would have worked through the debt. However Irish businesses have shown that the first chance they get, they will do a runner instead and renege on those debts. Sure the banks caused most of the problems, but the greed of the borrower needs to be emphasized too.

This.
    and the biggest mugs are the PAYE private sector paying 50% tax.
    In Ireland you are either the Scammer or the Scammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,619 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

upforit101 wrote: »
    This.

They will still vote the same sheitness in every time, the country deserves the corruption the gombeens that it gets, it's a basket case of corruption and fraud, fueled by our occupation by the Brits and a general lack of respect for such. FF will be back ruling the place soon, sure weren't they great when they were in power :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

upforit101 wrote: »
    This.

Quite right. and the biggest mugs of all are the people who worked 80 and 100 hour weeks creating the PAYE private sector jobs and who now have nothing to show for it at the end of 50 years graft. Cullen, like him or loath him, paid 14 million in tax. At least he did not do a runner to the UK like your man from Westlife or some property developers....or run off with a golden pension like many a politician or quango man or regulator or banker. http://www.herald.ie/news/bill-and-jackie-sell-3m-florida-pad-to-pay-banks-29145598.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

1170727_748671301809787_609693222_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

fussyonion wrote: »
    You know what I mean, stop being silly.

I turn onto the likes of Graham Norton or Jonathan Ross and they've got big A-list Hollywood stars on.
    I turn on The Late Late or The Saturday Night Show and who have they got?
    GAA "stars", politicians and protestors.

Hardly celebrities now are they?

I agree with you. RTE are focused on saving money so they always go for Irish based guests, no matter how minor they are.

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I agree with you. RTE are focused on saving money so they always go for Irish based guests, no matter how minor they are.

You will have to admit that having Jackie Lavin + Bill Cullen on last night made for excellent TV....she in particular was just so passionate , eloquent and angry at some of the things wrong in this rotten little country. She got regular and huge applause from the audience, all of whom would have known some hard working people in negative equity or who had been shafted by the "permanent and pensionable" elite in this country.

Hollywood stars will nearly always look to the UK stations for publicising their latest film, project, book or whatever. With all due respect to Brendan O'Connor, the UK stations have 20 times the viewers and are much more professional. But shure we are grand. I have been to America and met some americans there who did not know where Ireland was ffs. We like to think we are the centre of the world but we are not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Howaya Jackie!

amdublin wrote: »
    Howaya Jackie!
    I aint Jackie by a long shot. I suppose you will say she had a clapping machine in the audience last night too? She got clapped more than any other guest in a long time. Get the chip off your shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No one pays 50% tax 35% of income is lost to deductions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,952 ✭✭✭✭walshb

efb wrote: »
    Brendan is awful

They were both awful. A quite pointless and pathetic interview. What a boring man is Hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

maryishere wrote: »
    You will have to admit that having Jackie Lavin + Bill Cullen on last night made for excellent TV....she in particular was just so passionate , eloquent and angry at some of the things wrong in this rotten little country. She got regular and huge applause from the audience, all of whom would have known some hard working people in negative equity or who had been shafted by the "permanent and pensionable" elite in this country.
    People like Bill and Jackie are the problem. They borrowed huge amounts of money for speculation. They can't pay that money back, and never will. But they're still rich and always will be.

When Jackie said words to the effect of "Don't worry Brendan, I'm covering your arse", I would have thought someone in her position would know that you cannot sue someone for telling the truth. If she was telling the truth she would not have needed to cover anyones arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I'd have preferred if there had been a few of the Suppliers/employees that Bill and Jackie owe money to in the audience.

And open the floor to let them have their say.

Maybe her "Crusade" for the little people would have been shown up for what it is.

Looking after themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Ahhhh... If I had known Bill was on I would have watched.. I dont get all the hatred for the guy... Sure, he's full of a lot of oul dublin rubbish, and he should never have told people "to work for nothing" which was completely impossible for anybody with a mortgage or family. However, you do have to admire the guy with this drive to keep going.. And for all his faults, I think Bill is a good egg..

Sure he's pretty bitter at the moment, but I guess he just never pictured himself as being broke at his age.. What the hell is wrong with all of ye, did ye buy a bad Renault or something.. :)

Form an orderly queue with your custard pies..

There'll be no custard pies...... But CH there was someone selling rotton tomatoes earlier in the thread:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Ahhhh... If I had known Bill was on I would have watched.. I dont get all the hatred for the guy... Sure, he's full of a lot of oul dublin rubbish, and he should never have told people "to work for nothing" which was completely impossible for anybody with a mortgage or family. However, you do have to admire the guy with this drive to keep going.. And for all his faults, I think Bill is a good egg..

Sure he's pretty bitter at the moment, but I guess he just never pictured himself as being broke at his age.. What the hell is wrong with all of ye, did ye buy a bad Renault or something.. :)

Form an orderly queue with your custard pies..

_46204171_dsc_0210.jpg

I'll go first!

Must be the Valentine's weekend Lovvvveee still flowing....

CH and Bill?....

Betcha CH will be swanning around in one of Bill's new Schwing Schwong cars or whatever they are called.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

_46204171_dsc_0210.jpg

I'll go first!

This pies look nice, are they your own work Harry? :D

LynnGrace wrote: »

All my own work LynnGrace, though they're very easy to rustle up....
    FlanCase.jpg

+

ambrosia-devon-custard-1kg.jpg

Bish-Bash-Bosh

Job done!

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

LynnGrace wrote: »

Seems like Harry took Bill's advice and got a job working for free... down the bakery..

• Registered Users Posts: 33 eddiemunk

dee_mc wrote: »
    How easily they can bring the audience round to eating from their hands.
    I wonder do they send electric shocks up through the audience seats or something to make them clap, surely they can't be that simple?

a light comes on telling the audience to clap doesent it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I find it fascinating that although they had the Renault dealership taken back off them and lost The Muckross Hotel they are able to start a new car dealership. I assume they were bankrupt for this to happen well at least the hotel bit anyway. Can someone explain how they can just sart up again. Brendan if he was earning his chips would have made sure we got a realistic answer to this question. Nothing against either Jackie or Bill just curious that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

Their companies got into trouble with the banks, not them personally. Connected I know, but different legal entities to them personally. To be fair Jackie mentioned that their home is in danger now. She mentioned that they had "backers" who had helped finance this new business.

holyhead wrote: »
    I find it fascinating that although they had the Renault dealership taken back off them and lost The Muckross Hotel they are able to start a new car dealership. I assume they were bankrupt for this to happen well at least the hotel bit anyway. Can someone explain how they can just sart up again. Brendan if he was earning his chips would have made sure we got a realistic answer to this question. Nothing against either Jackie or Bill just curious that's all.

According to Bill, it was "good friends" who helped them out with the money for their new business venture ;)

According to Bill, it was "good friends" who helped them out with the money for their new business venture ;)

no law against that.

no law against that.

It's a pity the "good friends" weren't as proactive in paying off some of Bill's debts that he left the tax payer with.

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/bills-attitude-to-his-debts-shows-he-is-not-on-this-planet-29107229.html

And that was just the last appearance on the LLS.......

It's a pity the "good friends" weren't as proactive in paying off some of Bill's debts that he left the tax payer with.

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/bills-attitude-to-his-debts-shows-he-is-not-on-this-planet-29107229.html

And that was just the last appearance on the LLS.......
    In fairness, where does it say in that he " left the tax payer " with debts?
    The banks ( according to Cullen on the tv the other night ) are covered by the value of the properties they have security over. Otherwise Cullen would be bankrupt. Here or abroad. He is not.

In fairness, where does it say in that he " left the tax payer " with debts?
    The banks ( according to Cullen on the tv the other night ) are covered by the value of the properties they have security over. Otherwise Cullen would be bankrupt. Here or abroad. He is not.

After listening to Bill Cullen's guff, I would not believe a word out of his mouth.

I sincerely hope he gets that ticket to the Moon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I thought he would have taken his own advice and went to work somewhere for nothing.
    You need to be careful borrowing money to buy a car, they just throw money at you.

Advertisement