Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown trout opening day

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

danbrosnan wrote: »
    You have lost two salmon ever!!!

You must bring me out because thats some record, respect your opinion but don't agree with you at all, its very hard in river fishing i feel to hook salmon deep, unless you are worm fishing, i do see a point for barbless worm fishing but not for spinning....

when your spinning the fish and the spinner are going at such a speed the majority of the time you lip hook the fish, very rarely would I hook a fish deep..

I would lose a pile of fish spinning but the main reason for that is because i fish small spate rivers where the fish fight harder and the currents etc are way harder...

Bait fishing in the see should be barbless because that kills more fish then anything, again i think the whole argument is wrong, for lure fishing and spinning using barbless is a waste of time..

Bait fishing 100% barbless all the way....

Maybe I'm just lucky, fish spate river myself( lower feale below finite bridge). Each to there own I guess but in the future I can see all salmon rivers making barbless compulsory. Happening on a couple of rivers in Scotland and Wales and the feale is now barbless until may 17th

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

The feale is not a spate river i'm afraid...

I cannot see it happening tbh, barbless hooks well not catch on with the vast majority of anglers who want to keep a few fish...

I cannot understand this argument that the anglers need to do everything possible to try and save stock levels...

You fish the feale obviously, do you not know what is going on there? The river is poached to death, ye have seen the destruction of a river due to mismanagement and complete negligence from the fishery board...

I have seen it with my own two eyes...

The river feale is the biggest commercial fishery in the country and they trying to close it to anglers for a period while they grant licenses to kill thousands of salmon and you can double there quota because what they say they catch is not the truth...

I'm sorry but all the barbless hooks in the world won't help the salmon get up the cashen blocked with nets...

danbrosnan wrote: »
    The feale is not a spate river i'm afraid...

I cannot see it happening tbh, barbless hooks well not catch on with the vast majority of anglers who want to keep a few fish...

I cannot understand this argument that the anglers need to do everything possible to try and save stock levels...

You fish the feale obviously, do you not know what is going on there? The river is poached to death, ye have seen the destruction of a river due to mismanagement and complete negligence from the fishery board...

I have seen it with my own two eyes...

The river feale is the biggest commercial fishery in the country and they trying to close it to anglers for a period while they grant licenses to kill thousands of salmon and you can double there quota because what they say they catch is not the truth...

I'm sorry but all the barbless hooks in the world won't help the salmon get up the cashen blocked with nets...

My apologies dan I meant it was tidal, I agree completely the feale has been completely decimated!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Anyone going brown trout fishing this weekend? Heading home to Limerick and I've been checking waterlevel.ie so I am hoping the water levels will drop on my local stream!

Anyone going brown trout fishing this weekend? Heading home to Limerick and I've been checking waterlevel.ie so I am hoping the water levels will drop on my local stream!

Sure am, might do a bit of Czech nymphing.

• Advertisement

Have some good heavy bugs that I can't wait to try..I don't mind high water as long as it's not too coloured.

Have some good heavy bugs that I can't wait to try..I don't mind high water as long as it's not too coloured.

Ya the colouring can be a problem although I have had good success using a nymph called a grubber when the water is heavily stained.

If you haven't heard of the fly here's it's details:

Hook:size 14
    Thread:Black
    Bead: 3.3mm orange tungsten
    Body:Hares mask fibres and olive seals fur dubbing.

A very basic nymph to tie, tied like a hares ear nymph, only difference is bead is in the middle and there's no gold ribbing.

A superb nymph for stained water fished on the point of a two or three nymph cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Ya the colouring can be a problem although I have had good success using a nymph called a grubber when the water is heavily stained.

If you haven't heard of the fly here's it's details:

Hook:size 14
    Thread:Black
    Bead: 3.3mm orange tungsten
    Body:Hares mask fibres and olive seals fur dubbing.

A very basic nymph to tie, tied like a hares ear nymph, only difference is bead is in the middle and there's no gold ribbing.

A superb nymph for stained water fished on the point of a two or three nymph cast.

It's interesting that you have the bead in the middle of the fly. Orange is good for coloured water as is yellow.

My rivers still too high, looks like another few weeks yet.

Flysfisher wrote: »
    It's interesting that you have the bead in the middle of the fly. Orange is good for coloured water as is yellow.

Yes it's a fairly unique pattern in that sense. I first seen it at a fair I was at and I later seen a vid with hywel Morgan using it so I said I'd tie a few and give it a whirl, absolutely brilliant in stained water for river brownies and it's supposedly a good grayling fly also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Would anybody know where or how to get my hands on a full list of rivers and lakes in Ireland that hold trout?
    Mainly a sea and pike angler but wouldn't mind finding out a bit more about where's fishable as I now have a new fly rod and an abundance of flies that need to be used!
    I can understand if people don't want to put it out there in public domain so if your willing to share, not your personal marks but some info that could lead me in the right direction, by personal message I would be grateful!
    Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Would anybody know where or how to get my hands on a full list of rivers and lakes in Ireland that hold trout?
    Mainly a sea and pike angler but wouldn't mind finding out a bit more about where's fishable as I now have a new fly rod and an abundance of flies that need to be used!
    I can understand if people don't want to put it out there in public domain so if your willing to share, not your personal marks but some info that could lead me in the right direction, by personal message I would be grateful!
    Liam

You would need to be more specific on area as most rivers require club membership/permits.

The IFI website has good details of venues?

You would need to be more specific on area as most rivers require club membership/permits.

The IFI webste has good details of venues?

That's kinda why I was looking for a comprehensive list. I am willing to, and have done, some digging in order to find out who has the rights to the waterways and lands surrounding certain places that i've seen and thought about fishing. I've checked out the IFI website and several other forums to find out about some of the rivers and waterways for other spices and was wondering if it was documented formally at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

peter o reily's book of irish rivers is very good. has done me proud so far!

Trout in every river..

Just understand river craft, tactics and patterns.

Or get some lessons

Thanks floattuber, i'll have a look around for that.
    Trout in every river..

Or get some lessons

I seriously doubt that there are trout in every river in Ireland, i've trekked up and down a lot of banks looking for swims and rises with not a lot of luck. I've had lessons in a few fisheries around dublin but want to try out a few waters where trout have been documented, without having to join half a dozen clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

peter o reily's book of irish rivers is very good. has done me proud so far!
    `

Its okay. I know a couple of rivers in it very well and according to the POR book, they are poor rivers, not worth fishing. They're not ;) Im guessing in some cases that the locals gave the researcher a bit of a yarn to keep the outsiders away! But as a guide it is very useful.
    I seriously doubt that there are trout in every river in Ireland, i've trekked up and down a lot of banks looking for swims and rises with not a lot of luck.

I've always been of the belief that there are trout in nearly every river and lake in the country. Now whether their numbers allow fishing to be worthwhile is another thing but its amazing the places I've seen trout, including in a tiny stream in my own back garden. There are instances where they are killed off by industry or agriculture but once this interference stops they seem to recover too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Thanks floattuber, i'll have a look around for that.

I seriously doubt that there are trout in every river in Ireland, i've trekked up and down a lot of banks looking for swims and rises with not a lot of luck. I've had lessons in a few fisheries around dublin but want to try out a few waters where trout have been documented, without having to join half a dozen clubs.

You'd be surprised! I don't think any river can be judged by walking along it. You really have to fish it to find out.
    You don't have to find a few rivers. One decent one will do. You'll hardly travel the entire country just to fish for river trout. There should be something suitable in your own area.
    You would still need to join clubs to try many waters. My own club for instance does not do day permits, only annual subscription.

I seriously think there are trout in every river, I fish for sport so whether I get fish that are 8inches or 12inches it doesn't matter.

Walking banks of a river looking for fish is a waste of time.

Get down and do a kick sample see what kind of insects are in the river.

Do you nymph fish or are you using wet fly fishing??

I fish a small stream in limerick, locals say no fish but I am meeting fish all the time.

As I said change tactics and hit your local stream

Nymphing Setup/

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

SeaFields wrote: »
    `

Its okay. I know a couple of rivers in it very well and according to the POR book, they are poor rivers, not worth fishing. They're not ;) Im guessing in some cases that the locals gave the researcher a bit of a yarn to keep the outsiders away! But as a guide it is very useful.

I've always been of the belief that there are trout in nearly every river and lake in the country. Now whether their numbers allow fishing to be worthwhile is another thing but its amazing the places I've seen trout, including in a tiny stream in my own back garden. There are instances where they are killed off by industry or agriculture but once this interference stops they seem to recover too.

Ya POR books are sometimes a waste of time, he didn't fish 90% of the rivers he writes about , as you said sea fields he just asked the locals and assumed they were telling the truth...

I do believe every stream river and lake will hold some brownies... I think the biggest crime in this country is the vast amount of rivers that run salmon and sea trout that will never ever be recognised....

I have been told hundreds of times by locals that there" no fish there" or "wasting your time" and they the ones at 5 in the morning pulling the nets...

• Advertisement

i just meant POR book is good at at least giving you basic information about the river. gives you a general idea. i was chatting to him at the fly fair in galway seemed a nice guy but when i showed him a picture of a fish off a river in his book, he didnt know the river!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

i just meant POR book is good at at least giving you basic information about the river. gives you a general idea.

Ah no, you're dead right. As a general guide for basic info its very good, especially about permissions and the like (something that crops up here regularly) but my point was sometimes the quality of a fishery (or more so its lack of quality) my not be entirely accurate ;):pac:

SeaFields wrote: »
    Ah no, you're dead right. As a general guide for basic info its very good, especially about permissions and the like (something that crops up here regularly) but my point was sometimes the quality of a fishery (or more so its lack of quality) my not be entirely accurate ;):pac:

definitely! if the book gives you the basic info best way to find out spend a day fishing it! worst case scenario you have a nice day up the river!

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at work and all that jazz!

I have this book and it's a bit of a waster of time. I reply on my own judgement.

By the way if someone wants my copy, it's going cheap!!

That book and the lough one was written at a time long before the internet. At the time they were useful when such information was hard to come by. And those books were very popular back then. But now such books are more or less redundant.

Trying to think of rivers and streams, that do not contain trout. I am struggling.

Advertisement