Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown trout opening day

Options
  • 15-02-2014 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Anyone else get out?

Thankfully the weather broke and I fished one of my little mountain streams and had these tiny little beauties on a self tied gold head hares ear, tried the dry fly but the flow was just too strong!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Doesn't open here until the 1st of March- lucky you!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Doesn't open here until the 1st of March- lucky you!

It opens on my local river on March 1st , but the Killarney area opens Feb 15th, thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

It opens on my local river on March 1st , but the Killarney area opens Feb 15th, thank god!

I think in this day and age February 15 is a bit early to be opening rivers, but that's another issue.
    Nice trout though the second one could do with a bit of scoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

March the 1st for me also. But if the rivers don't recede significantly i will be casting from the boot of my car...

Maybe we can use this thread to post images, tales of our opening day exploits!

Flysfisher wrote: »
    I think in this day and age February 15 is a bit early to be opening rivers, but that's another issue.
    Nice trout though the second one could do with a bit of scoff.

I shud have used the second one as bait for a bigger one!!:-) lol. It is possibly although would be no problem if everyone practised safe catch and release.

• Advertisement

rpmcmurphy wrote: »
    March the 1st for me also. But if the rivers don't recede significantly i will be casting from the boot of my car...

Maybe we can use this thread to post images, tales of our opening day exploits!

Ha ya, my plan was to fish the laune yesterday but unfortunately it looks like this!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dece.ger

Anyone else get out?

Thankfully the weather broke and I fished one of my little mountain streams and had these tiny little beauties on a self tied gold head hares ear, tried the dry fly but the flow was just too strong!

Hi all got out for a few hrs sat and was surprised with the amount of trout I caught. I say it was between 20-25 trout. Five of them were over the 91/2 inch limit.

I was the only one out as the river was running high. Most of the trout were caught on a big gold head hares ear nymph with a 4 mm tungsten bead also self tied.

I was fishing check nymph style with a 10 foot 3 wt rod and barbless hooks. All the fish were returned safely

River is gone muddy again so prob won't get out this weekend going by the forecast.

dece.ger wrote: »
    Hi all got out for a few hrs sat and was surprised with the amount of trout I caught. I say it was between 20-25 trout. Five of them were over the 91/2 inch limit.

I was the only one out as the river was running high. Most of the trout were caught on a big gold head hares ear nymph with a 4 mm tungsten bead also self tied.

I was fishing check nymph style with a 10 foot 3 wt rod and barbless hooks. All the fish were returned safely

River is gone muddy again so prob won't get out this weekend going by the forecast.

Fair play dats some good fishing, I was there was that many trout in the little stream I was refined to! Was it an orange tungsten bead or a dull one just out of interest?

Got out again today and had another huge trout! (Not);-) had it on a size 18 bronze ribbed gold head pheasant tail nymph, not bad considering the little stream I hav been fishing is pretty much non-existent when there's no flooding!

Fair play dats some good fishing, I was there was that many trout in the little stream I was refined to! Was it an orange tungsten bead or a dull one just out of interest?

It was a gold tungsten 4mm bead. What nymphing technique do you use and what set up. Your tippet looks to be very heavy but that's prob cos your fishing a small stream and probably load of things to get snagged up on

• Advertisement

It was a gold tungsten 4mm bead. What nymphing technique do you use and what set up. Your tippet looks to be very heavy but that's prob cos your fishing a small stream and probably load of things to get snagged up on

Today I was using my 7ft #3 rod, floating line , to floating leader , to high float .017 mm 3&1/2lb tippet , casting up and across leaving nymph trundle along with upstream mends in the line. If it was a clock face casting to 2 o clock lifting at 10 o clock. Wbu?

Today I was using my 7ft #3 rod, floating line , to floating leader , to high float .017 mm 3&1/2lb tippet , casting up and across leaving nymph trundle along with upstream mends in the line. If it was a clock face casting to 2 o clock lifting at 10 o clock. Wbu?

I was using a 10f 3 wt rod with a long 9 metre camo tapered leader no fly line out the tip of the rod. I then tie a slighter/indicator to that witch is fluorescent mono (green and red).

To that I tie 8 feet of 3 lb fluorocarbon tippet I tie a dropper tag two feet up from that for my second fly.

I cast the heavy nymphs up stream and dead drift them back. I do lots of casts cos the drifts are short ( 10 foot max)

It's a very effective method in slightly coloured water. Or for fishing riffles. I caught most off the fish sat in two feet of water.

I was using a 10f 3 wt rod with a long 9 metre camo tapered leader no fly line out the tip of the rod. I then tie a slighter/indicator to that witch is fluorescent mono (green and red).

To that I tie 8 feet of 3 lb fluorocarbon tippet I tie a dropper tag two feet up from that for my second fly.

I cast the heavy nymphs up stream and dead drift them back. I do lots of casts cos the drifts are short ( 10 foot max)

It's a very effective method in slightly coloured water. Or for fishing riffles. I caught most off the fish sat in two feet of water.

Ah yes you really were Czech nymphing ! 9 metre leader sounds extremely long! If your making extremely short casts when Czech nymphing would you consider using braid for your leader??? I see a hell of a lot of international river anglers using it now for Czech nymphing as there is no stretch and bite indication is far crisper.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Had this while spinning for salmon was about 14 inches would have been a nice trout if it was in good condition

Gave me a fright for a sec in the high water I taught I was in to a salmon ha

That was a size 5 flying c in his mouth that I made kinda hard to get the size in pic

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

I use jig hooks, no snagging and better hook ups.

My home river opened on the 15th Feb, looking forward to trying out some new patterns.

popsy09 wrote: »
    Had this while spinning for salmon was about 14 inches would have been a nice trout if it was in good condition

Gave me a fright for a sec in the high water I taught I was in to a salmon ha

That was a size 5 flying c in his mouth that I made kinda hard to get the size in pic

Real nice trout popsy! U should consider de-barbing the hooks though when using hooks that size it's does less damage to the fish if you plan on returning it.

Real nice trout popsy! U should consider de-barbing the hooks though when using hooks that size it's does less damage to the fish if you plan on returning it.

I thought most salmon anglers stopped using treble hooks and opted for a single hook :eek:

thats the biggest hook i have on the biggest lure for the real heavy water didnt expect a trout to come take a chomp :eek: went back perfect anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Bromium

I use jig hooks, no snagging and better hook ups.

My home river opened on the 15th Feb, looking forward to trying out some new patterns.

Do the jig hooks really cut down on snagging? What size can you go down to on them (hook and bead)?

Cheers

Yes for me it does, I go down to size 18's. It varies on the depth and flow of water... same for the bead, it depends on the situation.

I work off a general rule of thumb.

1mm, Size 20
    1.5mm, Size 18,
    2mm, Size 16,
    2 / 2.5mm, Size 14,
    2.5mm, Size 12,
    3 / 3.5 mm, Size 10 & 8,

But it depends on the location, I do prefer bigger bead on a smaller hook, rather than sticking to the values above.

full2_28_549.jpg

But I reckon all my point flies are jigs, and .010mm / 0.012mm leader, I don't go by lbs/ breaking strain and stick to the same manufacture of tippet, just a confidence thing really.

• Advertisement

I thought most salmon anglers stopped using treble hooks and opted for a single hook :eek:

well every single spinner i ever got in the tackle shop had a treble on it and i always have a treble on my own made lures and never killed or damaged a fish that i didnt want to kill

even trolling with rapalas you could have 3 trebles on a lure

Ok.

popsy09 wrote: »
    thats the biggest hook i have on the biggest lure for the real heavy water didnt expect a trout to come take a chomp :eek: went back perfect anyway

Trout are greedy feckers they'll take a lure as big a themselves!! I wouldn't worry too much about em being trebles id just de-barb them, better for the fish and as far as I can see fish stay on just as well as barbed hooks once played correctly.

Yes for me it does, I go down to size 18's. It varies on the depth and flow of water... same for the bead, it depends on the situation.

I work off a general rule of thumb.

1mm, Size 20
    1.5mm, Size 18,
    2mm, Size 16,
    2 / 2.5mm, Size 14,
    2.5mm, Size 12,
    3 / 3.5 mm, Size 10 & 8,

But it depends on the location, I do prefer bigger bead on a smaller hook, rather than sticking to the values above.

full2_28_549.jpg

But I reckon all my point flies are jigs, and .010mm / 0.012mm leader, I don't go by lbs/ breaking strain and stick to the same manufacture of tippet, just a confidence thing really.

Quick question....... Where do you get your jig hooks, can't seem to get them anywhere!!! They look ideal to tie baetis nymph imitations.

Quick question....... Where do you get your jig hooks, can't seem to get them anywhere!!! They look ideal to tie baetis nymph imitations.

I use dohiku jigs, just Google them.

Also hanak competition..

https://www.czechnymph.com/en/e-shop/hooks/jig-hooks

Ebay...

Also hanak competition..

Ebay...

Cheers for that!

Also hanak competition..

Ebay...

Tiemco do great jig hooks there very good. You must use slotted beads for jig hooks

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Don't agree with this debrabing nonsense, I am a salmon angler and last year I lost four salmon while spinning and that's with brabbed hooks, there is a massive difference fishing for wild salmon in wild rivers then bass on the open shore, salmon are hundred times better fighters then bass and will break free of brabbed trebles in an instant...

I'm sorry but Henry glibly is not a salmon angler just because he suggests bass anglers use de brabbed hooks doesn't mean it's right or we all should follow like sheep...

I'm sorry I had to get that off my chest....

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Don't agree with this debrabing nonsense, I am a salmon angler and last year I lost four salmon while spinning and that's with brabbed hooks, there is a massive difference fishing for wild salmon in wild rivers then bass on the open shore, salmon are hundred times better fighters then bass and will break free of brabbed trebles in an instant...

I'm sorry but Henry glibly is not a salmon angler just because he suggests bass anglers use de brabbed hooks doesn't mean it's right or we all should follow like sheep...

I'm sorry I had to get that off my chest....

Have to disagree dan, unless your keeping all fish u catch it's better for a fishes welfare to use de-barbed hooks, especially if the fish takes the hook deep.

No one mentioned Henry Gilbey or bass fishing, but while we're on the subject I lure fish, a lot, for sea bass and use barbless hooks for that also.

I have been using barbless trebles while spinning for salmon, and barbless flies while fly fishing for salmon, sea trout and brown trout. I have lost two salmon ever and they would have came off regardless. I rarely lose a trout or sea trout.

There's no statistics to suggest more fish come off on barbless hooks. If the fish is played correctly it will stay on, if it's not played correct it will come off regardless of what hook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Have to disagree dan, unless your keeping all fish u catch it's better for a fishes welfare to use de-barbed hooks, especially if the fish takes the hook deep.

No one mentioned Henry Gilbey or bass fishing, but while we're on the subject I lure fish, a lot, for sea bass and use barbless hooks for that also.

I have been using barbless trebles while spinning for salmon, and barbless flies while fly fishing for salmon, sea trout and brown trout. I have lost two salmon ever and they would have came off regardless. I rarely lose a trout or sea trout.

There's no statistics to suggest more fish come off on barbless hooks. If the fish is played correctly it will stay on, if it's not played correct it will come off regardless of what hook.

You have lost two salmon ever!!!

You must bring me out because thats some record, respect your opinion but don't agree with you at all, its very hard in river fishing i feel to hook salmon deep, unless you are worm fishing, i do see a point for barbless worm fishing but not for spinning....

when your spinning the fish and the spinner are going at such a speed the majority of the time you lip hook the fish, very rarely would I hook a fish deep..

I would lose a pile of fish spinning but the main reason for that is because i fish small spate rivers where the fish fight harder and the currents etc are way harder...

Bait fishing in the see should be barbless because that kills more fish then anything, again i think the whole argument is wrong, for lure fishing and spinning using barbless is a waste of time..

Bait fishing 100% barbless all the way....

Advertisement