Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religious obsessed by Atheism

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Didn't evolution produce every version of morality there is in the world, in your view. If not, where else did they come from?

What do you mean by "evolution the basis for morality" when it produced diametrically opposed moralities?

Yes - evolution is the basis for immorality too but I would put this down to poor brain development from either pre or post birth. Evolution it seems, isnt bullet proof. The fact that we are propagating suggests that this dark side is in the minority however - most people appear to be altruistic.

For humans to have come this far (100,000 years perhaps), there must be some moral code built into our DNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Yes - evolution is the basis for immorality too but I would put this down to poor brain development from either pre or post birth.

Where immorality and morality are subjective terms. There is no up (morality) or down (immorality), just opposites (and every shade inbetween). You might as easily call what you call immorality, morality. And vice versa.
    Evolution it seems, isnt bullet proof.

Evolution doesn't give a monkeys and has no aims.
    The fact that we are propagating suggests that this dark side is in the minority however - most people appear to be altruistic.

Then why is such a significant chunk of the world in poverty?
    For humans to have come this far (100,000 years perhaps), there must be some moral code built into our DNA.

This far? It only takes a propensity to procreate faster than you can destroy to have come this far. And it seems we've cracked that particular conundrum too.

The immoral code, judging by the constant state of war the world is in, somewhere in the world, seems as written in as any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It's as if your browser censors the term "the Golden/Silver Rule".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

You're exhibiting the fact that you've no idea at all about the structure of the Bible. Here, for example, you pick on laws applicable for a particular people at a particular time for a particular reason and suppose them commandments for all people at all times. I made the point about theological illiteracy...

Could you please point out where there is an expiration date to God's law? If we are not supposed to follow certain rules set out by Himself, then shouldn't He at least let us know which ones?
    God's message is for all. But unlike books of men, it requires eye's opened in order to be able to discern that message. Eye's can be opened by reading or might be opened otherwise, after which you can read and discern. The opportunity for eyes to be opened is open to all.

Does God's message come in audiobook form?
    There is no one to whom the opportunity of salvation is closed: not atheists, not Hindus, not cultural Christians. Not folk of any time or place. If they are saved it will be by God on the terms/in the manner he has deemed suitable for the purpose - not in the manner folk would demand ("I am God" in big letters across the sky, for instance).

So John 14:6 isn't strictly true?
    It is if they say things like God doesn't exist. That's a truth claim.

Totally agree.
    The only person who can demonstrate God to you is God.

Do you ever wonder if you've been tricked by Satan into thinking he is God?

Where immorality and morality are subjective terms. There is no up (morality) or down (immorality), just opposites (and every shade inbetween). You might as easily call what you call immorality, morality. And vice versa.

Everybody will have their opinion on what they deem moral or immoral and it appears to be intuition based. (heart rules the head etc). How do you change a persons intuition - not easily I would say.
    Evolution doesn't give a monkeys and has no aims.

It appears that the aim of evolution is to evolve life to adapt to the changing environment. As to why this is, who knows.
    Then why is such a significant chunk of the world in poverty?

Many reasons, but id say a key one is the power of one over others / when people of authority turn bad due to a lust for power as played out in 1984. Kim Jung Il would be an example.
    This far? It only takes a propensity to procreate faster than you can destroy to have come this far. And it seems we've cracked that particular conundrum too.
    The immoral code, judging by the constant state of war the world is in, somewhere in the world, seems as written in as any other.

The worlds population is increasing, but or course there are a number of reasons for this. War is a sad reflection on mankind. Humans tend to form into social groups - a catalyst for war perhaps especially when we have a propensity to conform. War will always be there it seems, but so to will the goodness and generosity in people, religious or not.

• Advertisement

Everybody will have their opinion on what they deem moral or immoral and it appears to be intuition based. (heart rules the head etc). How do you change a persons intuition - not easily I would say.

I was speaking of morality in the framework of evolution. Your stated framework.

Immorality, as you see it, isn't (rather: can't be seen as - by that stated framework) the result of ill-formed brains. Those brains are as fully formed by evolution as yours. They have proved as fit for survival (for they have survived as long as your preferred options - and I think we can take a zillion years as proof positive of their evolutionary worth) as any other arrangement of genes you care to mention.

It appears that the aim of evolution is to evolve life to adapt to the changing environment. As to why this is, who knows.

That isn't a good understanding of evolution. Evolution has no aim: what survives, survives. And is proven - by virtue of it's having survived - as having what it takes to survive. I know that sounds like a kindergaarten-ish statement but that's what it boils down to.
    Many reasons, but id say a key one is the power of one over others / when people of authority turn bad due to a lust for power as played out in 1984. Kim Jung Il would be an example.

But this lust for power is evolutionarily driven. A product of the process. My point was that the world proves the opposite of what you state: that most people are altruistic. They aren't- at least not overly so. For if they were, then we wouldn't have the world in a state of perpetual war. We wouldn't have the majority in relative and objective poverty. We wouldn't have WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Rwanda, Srebenica memorials. Not to speak of zero hour contracts and the general rape of the planet.

When you shop in Dunnes for clothes you propagate sweat shops in Inda. When you buy an iphone you propagate horrendous working conditions in factories in China. I mean, it's inescapable no matter how hard you try to be "good"

The worlds population is increasing, but or course there are a number of reasons for this.

You're missing the point. The point was that you don't need mankind on an ever-upward evolutionary trajectory to "come this far". You only need procreation to exceed death.
    War is a sad reflection on mankind.

You need to speak the language of your worldview. War is the result of evolution driving things in that direction. It's only sad when you begin to refer to some or other absolute morality which tends towards good. Evolution doesn't, excuse my French, give a ****. So why would you (other than by failing to adhere rigidly to your worldview).
    War will always be there it seems, but so to will the goodness and generosity in people, religious or not.

Explained by both the Bible and Evolution. The difference being that Evolution doesn't posit any absolutes in the realm of morality. Just relativism.

robdonn wrote: »
    Could you please point out where there is an expiration date to God's law?

Death on a cross. The law was no longer written on tablets of stone but on human hearts. Human hearts that has been awoken to this fact.

For those for whom this hasn't (yet) happened, no amount of attempted adherence to the Law will suffice (simply because sinners can't actually follow the law. They'll always fall short)

So John 14:6 isn't strictly true?

You don't have to have heard of Jesus in order for him to form the conduit to God. Abraham had never heard of Jesus. And I don't know of even the wildest Christian denomination who doesn't agree he's saved.

Totally agree.

Do you ever wonder if you've been tricked by Satan into thinking he is God?

No. I'm forced by reason to suppose that God is in a position to evidence himself such as to exclude that option. That doesn't mean I haven't been tricked or that God exists. Just that I've no reason to suppose so.

I was speaking of morality in the framework of evolution. Your stated framework.

Immorality, as you see it, isn't (rather: can't be seen as - by that stated framework) the result of ill-formed brains. Those brains are as fully formed by evolution as yours. They have proved as fit for survival (for they have survived as long as your preferred options - and I think we can take a zillion years as proof positive of their evolutionary worth) as any other arrangement of genes you care to mention.

When I refer to ill formed brains I am refering to examples like prefrontal cortex issues that can cause a lack of empathy or a tendency towards extreme violence in some people.
    That isn't a good understanding of evolution. Evolution has no aim: what survives, survives. And is proven - by virtue of it's having survived - as having what it takes to survive. I know that sounds like a kindergaarten-ish statement but that's what it boils down to.

Agreed. Evolution has no conscious goal in and of itself, thats why I added "it appears" to my line previously.
    But this lust for power is evolutionarily driven. A product of the process. My point was that the world proves the opposite of what you state: that most people are altruistic. They aren't- at least not overly so. For if they were, then we wouldn't have the world in a state of perpetual war. We wouldn't have the majority in relative and objective poverty. We wouldn't have WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Rwanda, Srebenica memorials. Not to speak of zero hour contracts and the general rape of the planet.

When you shop in Dunnes for clothes you propagate sweat shops in Inda. When you buy an iphone you propagate horrendous working conditions in factories in China. I mean, it's inescapable no matter how hard you try to be "good"

But the vast majority of people are not at war. And sometimes in war 1 side is the "evil" aggressor, the other side are innocent victims defending themselves. Yes I think good and evil is evolutionary driven. We appear to have a duel nature - we are selfish and groupish leading to a variety of good and bad behaviours.

Perhaps I should have expanded my first post to say evolution is the basis for morality and immorality. Is there more good in the world or bad? - impossible to measure perhaps but I feel there is more good in the balance of things.
    The point was that you don't need mankind on an ever-upward evolutionary trajectory to "come this far". You only need procreation to exceed death.

This is a fair comment.
    You need to speak the language of your worldview. War is the result of evolution driving things in that direction. It's only sad when you begin to refer to some or other absolute morality which tends towards good. Evolution doesn't, excuse my French, give a ****. So why would you (other than by failing to adhere rigidly to your worldview).
    Explained by both the Bible and Evolution. The difference being that Evolution doesn't posit any absolutes in the realm of morality. Just relativism.

War is the result of evolution - yes, but I feel so too is the good that comes out of humanity. We could veer down a road of objective vs subjective morality but I feel do morality is subjective / relative - in that the intuition of different people is not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Death on a cross. The law was no longer written on tablets of stone but on human hearts. Human hearts that has been awoken to this fact.

For those for whom this hasn't (yet) happened, no amount of attempted adherence to the Law will suffice (simply because sinners can't actually follow the law. They'll always fall short)

Well that's one of the biggest non-answers I've ever heard. Do no good deeds matter unless they are done in God's name?
    You don't have to have heard of Jesus in order for him to form the conduit to God. Abraham had never heard of Jesus. And I don't know of even the wildest Christian denomination who doesn't agree he's saved.

So John 14:6 isn't true. Cool, thanks.
    No. I'm forced by reason to suppose that God is in a position to evidence himself such as to exclude that option. That doesn't mean I haven't been tricked or that God exists. Just that I've no reason to suppose so.

But you have quite a few reasons to think so, the Bible makes many references to Satan tricking people. 1 Peter 5:8 says that "the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour."

Even in 1 John 4:1 you are warned "Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world."

I don't know where your religious beliefs stem from or what form of Christianity you follow, neither is that really a relevant topic in this thread, but thinking that you have no reason to believe that you've been tricked is not really a reasoned approach. If you cannot recognise that what you have experienced/heard/witnessed may not really have been your God but instead another being (still within the Christian cinematic universe) then how can you trust that you've properly evaluated any of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I don't know where your religious beliefs stem from or what form of Christianity you follow, neither is that really a relevant topic in this thread, but thinking that you have no reason to believe that you've been tricked is not really a reasoned approach. If you cannot recognise that what you have experienced/heard/witnessed may not really have been your God but instead another being (still within the Christian cinematic universe) then how can you trust that you've properly evaluated any of it?
    It doesn't even need to be the devil. The 'proof' that antiskeptic has is the same proof and christians of a different denomination to him have or muslims or hindus or Mormons or any other religion.

Personally for me if I believed something and the evidence I used to believe it to be true was the same evidence as people that believed, as strongly as I did, something that was very different, I would have to question that belief. And this is not something like evolution, where the evidence is empirical and the only people that don't believe it either have too much invested in not believing it or have had one to many blows to the head. I mean this kind of 'evidence' that is indistinguishable from a delusion or hallucination, you know, religion.

MrP

• Advertisement

When I refer to ill formed brains I am refering to examples like prefrontal cortex issues that can cause a lack of empathy or a tendency towards extreme violence in some people.

Can you not see yourself stepping outside the process of evolution so as to cast judgement about it? Evolution is, as robindch, iirc, put it, about the preservation of genetic material. What has survived to date is a valid and successful as anything else which has survived to date: it has, however that has come about, the X factor (where X is "fit to survive under the life circumstances it finds itself in". Downs Syndrome isn't due to ill formed brains, Downs Syndrome is a particular mutation that produces a particular result, which, if it survives, is successful at survival. Period.

I know I'm pushing the point - but for a point. If you step out of conventions we've built on the overarching ..er.. foundations of evolution then you can create all sorts of inside-a-bubble morality systems. But they are only illusions. Not a one better, more valid, more objective .. than the other.
    War is the result of evolution - yes, but I feel so too is the good that comes out of humanity.
    Of course this is the case. It's all the product of evolution (so must your worldview say). Every thought, word, deed, morality...
    We could veer down a road of objective vs subjective morality but I feel do morality is subjective / relative - in that the intuition of different people is not the same.
    Your first point is a given (assuming you are an atheist/agnostic): absolute morality demands a lawmaker. Your second point is also a given: given the different moralities that people sincerely hold.

I suppose my point was that all intuitions are the product of evolution (those you find good and those you don't - up to and including the subject of Godwins Law). All as valid as each other.

It's only fitness for survival that determines the one better than the other, and then only better in the sense of survivability.

Is there anything more to say?

Well that's one of the biggest non-answers I've ever heard. Do no good deeds matter unless they are done in God's name?

Simply put, you either

- come to stand before God in spotlessly right condition by following all God's laws (and by those I don't include laws not intended to apply to all people at all times). This isn't in fact possible for you or me.

- come to stand before God in spotless condition by having the penalty due your sin paid for by Christ.

Since the first isn't possible, even though an unbeliever might do many good deeds (as defined by God's law) it doesn't make them spotlessly clean. They've still their bad deeds on their record. As it were

So John 14:6 isn't true. Cool, thanks.

It's true.

Nothing in there says that you have believe in Christ to come through him.
    It merely says that if you come to God then Christ (or rather, his work done) is the medium by which you come. This isn't exactly unorthodox Christianity: Abraham was around before Christ so couldn't have believed in him - yet nobody thinks that he wasn't saved. And there is only one way to be saved. Through Christ.

But you have quite a few reasons to think so, the Bible makes many references to Satan tricking people. 1 Peter 5:8 says that "the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour."

I'm not sure what reference to salvation there is in there.
    Even in 1 John 4:1 you are warned "Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world."

Salvation reference? Indeed, we can conclude from this passage that it's possible for the beloved (fellow brothers and sisters in Christ a.k.a. Christians) have a means to discern the true from the false.
    I don't know where your religious beliefs stem from or what form of Christianity you follow, neither is that really a relevant topic in this thread, but thinking that you have no reason to believe that you've been tricked is not really a reasoned approach.

This is but a variation on the "God's existence must ever remain a hypothesis - open to falsification". It denies that God is in a position to reveal himself to someone such as to override any possibility that he doesn't. That, clearly, is a nonsense.
    If you cannot recognise that what you have experienced/heard/witnessed may not really have been your God but instead another being (still within the Christian cinematic universe) then how can you trust that you've properly evaluated any of it?

I understand your thinking. We are typically reliant on our own abilities to discern, evaluate, conclude things. And we know we are prone to error - thus you can be forgiven for supposing we should be tentative here to.

But what if I am not reliant on me to discern but on God to provide certainty? How could I doubt if it's God sustaining certainty. God can't be overriden by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

If you could explain how the religion-free system of morality/ethics is supposed to find it's root other than in the inner convictions of men then I'm all ears.

Because if you can't then it would appear the root of both religious and non-religious morality/ethics system are both going to lie in inner convictions of men.

I mean, you can't prove killing immoral.

Morality doesn't have to rely on inner conviction. It can rely on logic and reason. Let's take a few examples from the Bible as an example.

One of the biblical moral prohibitions which came to the fore recently is the command against homosexuality outlined in Leviticus 18:22, 20:13 and the NT.

However, is homosexuality actually immoral? What basis do we have for considering it to be so? Well, firstly it does no harm so it cannot be considered immoral on that basis. Secondly, as we know it is not the subject of free choice so homosexual actions are as much a part of a person's character as their skin colour. We have no reason to consider homosexuality immoral on a rational basis and certainly no grounds to consider execution a suitable punishment. The only moral basis that Christians seemed to be able to muster during the marriage referendum debate is the "God says it, I believe it, that settles it" argument, which is hardly a solid foundation for anything.

Or what about the instruction in Isaiah 14:21 moral? Why should children be punished with death for the actions of their parents? Why should anyone be punished for a crime which they did not commit? Clearly being punished for not having done anything is clearly immoral and we don't have to rely on inner convictions to tell us this.

Morality can be based on logically sound non-arbitrary principles over and above the inner convictions you talk about. In fact, QualiaSoup has a series of videos dedicated to exactly this question which I urge you to watch:

The "purpose" of evolution isn't to preserve anything. Rather, the upshot of the circumstances life happens to find itself in means that some genetic material survives and some doesn't. That some life mutates so as to better deal with circumstances, so as to preserve genetic material isn't purpose, it's happy accident.

There is no getting being done. What survives survives: some genetic material being preserved by it's survivability under the circumstances at the time .. and some not. With nobody or thing caring/acting/directing things one way or the other.

OK, before we get to talking about the intersection of morality and evolution let's just sort your misunderstandings of what evolution actually is because what you just posted above is bordering on JC levels of stupidity.

Evolution isn't random, it's deterministic. The mutation in a gene maybe random but the effect that that mutation has on its parent organism is what drives evolution, a process which is not random. This works in two ways.
    Firstly, the mutation can confer benefits or disadvantages on its parent organism. This in turn can manifest in one of two ways, a survival advantage or an attractiveness advantage. So, for example, the mutation could increase the number of fast twitch muscle fibres in a cheetah. This means that the cheetah is faster and therefore able to catch more prey. This means that they are better fed and live longer, thus leaving more descendants, most of which will have this mutation. These will, in turn have more descendants and the mutation will spread throughout the population. Alternatively, the mutation could confer a survival advantage, say the level of colour intensity in a bird's plumage. This means that the bird will attract more mates and leave more descendants, thus spreading the mutation. So that is how evolution works on the level of the individual.
    Secondly, we can look at the effect of mutation at a species level. If there were no mutations at all then there would be no variation between individual members of a species. Therefore, from a sexual selection standpoint, there is nothing to drive evolution forward. Mutations, whether they confer advantages or disadvantages on their parent organism create variation on which selection occurs. This is one of the fundamental factors in driving complexity at a biological level. This paper deals with the issue in more detail:

Evolution of biological complexity

Secondly with regard to your getting comment, of course there is getting being done. Anything which confers a survival or attractiveness advantage will be selected for. It is evident in a mechanism known in biology as The Red Queen (after the character in Alice in Wonderland). Take, polar bears for example. When polar bears first migrated or found themselves located in the North due to geological changes, the seals who had already been living there had no natural predators. As such, they were docile and unfearful animals. Consequently, the newly arrived polar bears killed as many as they pleased. Therefore, the seals that survived are the ones which were slightly more cautious and fearful than the others. Eventually this trait spread throughout the population and all the seals became cautious, resetting the balance. Then over time, polar bears developed a change in their fur colour (they were originally light brown like Kodiak bears). Basically, a polar bear with a form of albinism was better able to sneak up on the seals undetected which meant they fed better and lived longer as explained above. So the balance shifted in favour of the polar bears again. Finally, the seals began to develop a communal sense of caution. Those seals who watched each others backs and looked out for the group (think prairie dogs or meerkats) lived longer than those who didn't and the balance was once again restored. The point of this is that it is not only physical attributes which can confer a survival advantage nor is it solely confined to an individual level attribute. Reciprocal altruism or social behaviour can and does lead to survival benefits. This is the basis on which morality and evolution intersect.

Because we are social animals, individual selection and kin selection are inextricably linked. How we act affects the group and the ability of the group to survive affects our own survival. Thus there is a biological need for a set of principles which guide the relationship between the individual and the group. Obviously the most basic of these is a prohibition on killing, if the survival of the group is important then weakening the group weakens the survival prospects of every member. So individual members secure their own survival by putting in place rules which ensure the survival of the group. Now at the basic hunter gatherer level this is somewhat important, but as a society progresses and becomes more complex the rules need to become similarly complex as well as more stringent. Let's take the example of six survivors stranded on a desert island. Let's say after a few months they discover a stranded but salvageable trawler which they can use to get home. At the beginning of the journey all six have no particular expertise so if one of them dies it will have a small but measurable impact on the group's prospects of getting home. Since none of them can run the ship entirely on their own, they must take responsibility for different aspects of the ship's operation, cooking, engine room, navigation etc. Therefore as the journey progresses each will become more specialised at his/her task. So, the longer the journey the greater a loss each member will pose to the group's overall survival. So the rules for the group's behaviour need to become more codified and more complex. So it is with society, our moral rules and laws have become more complex and codified as our society has developed.

This post is long enough already with my rambling (apologies) and I don't have the time to explain group selection and reciprocal altruism in more detail but hopefully these links will cover the topic of morality and evolution in more detail (even though you didn't reply or acknowledge them the last time I posted these for your benefit two years ago)

Books

The Origins of Virtue

Adaptation and Natural Selection

The Moral Landscape

Research

The evolution of reciprocal altruism

Fairness vs. reason in the ultimatum game

Five rules for the evolution of cooperation

The evolution of the golden rule

Volunteering as Red Queen mechanism in public goods games

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    Morality doesn't have to rely on inner conviction. It can rely on logic and reason.
    I would disagree with that - for myself, "morality" is a top-down, authoritarian system of behaviors you've to carry out because you're told to, or value-assignations for actions and states-of-being which you've to accept because you're told to. "Ethics" constitute a bottom-up consensus-based approach to the same broad issues - what one can and cannot to and what value is to be attached to actions and states-of-being.

Also, "morality" is frequently associated with purity rituals, while "ethics" tend to ignore the concept of ritual purity entirely. For example, many systems of morality define adult-male-on-adult-male anal sex as ritually impure; most (all?) ethical systems couldn't give a toss about it, so to speak.

robindch wrote: »
    I would disagree with that - for myself, "morality" is a top-down, authoritarian system of behaviors you've to carry out because you're told to, or value-assignations for actions and states-of-being which you've to accept because you're told to. "Ethics" constitute a bottom-up consensus-based approach to the same broad issues - what one can and cannot to and what value is to be attached to actions and states-of-being.

Also, "morality" is frequently associated with purity rituals, while "ethics" tend to ignore the concept of ritual purity entirely. For example, many systems of morality define adult-male-on-adult-male anal sex as ritually impure; most (all?) ethical systems couldn't give a toss about it, so to speak.

That's a good point. I would have considered them broadly synonymous before. For example, when christians mention thou shalt not kill, I have previously responded with "really, so the reason you don't kill people is because someone had to tell you not to". For me, ethical behaviour and moral behaviour are one and the same. Because I don't believe in a god or believe that power (i.e. the power of God in issuing moral commandments) is a basis for morality, morality for me is ethics, it's about a rational consideration of my actions.

For me, ethical behaviour and moral behaviour are one and the same.
    The words were mostly synonymous to me too until some years back when I watched how people used them in practice - "ethical" almost always referring to bottom-up systems, while "moral" almost always referring to top-down systems. Even religious people seem to stick to the distinction a lot of the time - so you might hear a religious person referring to killing as "unethical", but you'll rarely hear them use "unethical" to refer to adult-male-on-adult-male anal sex. And legally, in democratic societies you might get something called the "House Committee on Ethics" (referring to agreed, legislated codes of conduct) but in non-democratic or heavily religious societies, you'll find what are called informally, "morality police" (the dangerous mutaween in KSA).

Morality doesn't have to rely on inner conviction. It can rely on logic and reason.

It can rely on picking morality out of a hat if you like :)

However, is homosexuality actually immoral?

That would depend on the basis by which you measure. If picking out of a hat and "homosexuality is fine" is picked out of a hat then no.

What basis do we have for considering it to be so? Well, firstly it does no harm so it cannot be considered immoral on that basis.

That would depend on what you call harm which is a function of your worldview. If, for instance you worldview includes God's law and consequences follow for threading over God's law then it is both illogical and unreasonable to suppose homosexual acts non-harmful.

Secondly, as we know it is not the subject of free choice so homosexual actions are as much a part of a person's character as their skin colour.

That would be the subject of discussion. The development of sexuality in an environment where homosexuality is normalised might well differ from sexual development in an environment where it's not. "We know" is a problematic statement.

We have no reason to consider homosexuality immoral on a rational basis and certainly no grounds to consider execution a suitable punishment. The only moral basis that Christians seemed to be able to muster during the marriage referendum debate is the "God says it, I believe it, that settles it" argument, which is hardly a solid foundation for anything.

Seeing as your worldview sits at the root of your position, this is a bit kettle/pot/black

-

Evolution isn't random, it's deterministic. The mutation in a gene maybe random but the effect that that mutation has on its parent organism is what drives evolution, a process which is not random. This works in two ways.

Let's have a look
    Firstly, the mutation can confer benefits or disadvantages on its parent organism. This in turn can manifest in one of two ways, a survival advantage or an attractiveness advantage. So, for example, the mutation could increase the number of fast twitch muscle fibres in a cheetah. This means that the cheetah is faster and therefore able to catch more prey. This means that they are better fed and live longer, thus leaving more descendants, most of which will have this mutation.

Understood

These will, in turn have more descendants and the mutation will spread throughout the population. Alternatively, the mutation could confer a survival advantage, say the level of colour intensity in a bird's plumage. This means that the bird will attract more mates and leave more descendants, thus spreading the mutation. So that is how evolution works on the level of the individual.

Understood.

Secondly, we can look at the effect of mutation at a species level. If there were no mutations at all then there would be no variation between individual members of a species. Therefore, from a sexual selection standpoint, there is nothing to drive evolution forward. Mutations, whether they confer advantages or disadvantages on their parent organism create variation on which selection occurs. This is one of the fundamental factors in driving complexity at a biological level.

Understood. Random mutations with some resulting in the preservation of some genes (due to advantage) and the elimination of others.

However, survival itself is random since survivability is related to environment the lifeform finds itself, which itself is the product of random occurrences. For example, the random occurrences which produce a faster cheetah and a slower antelope also become a constituent part of the environment both lifeforms experience. The cheetah flourishing and the antelope not flourishing is the result of the environment they find themselves in - an environment constructed competely of random mutations.

There isn't a single part, either in the mutation producing variation or in the environment in which that mutation is sifted which isn't the product of randomness. So when you suggest the process isn't utterly random I'm left wondering what how something non-random can be built of components consisting of nothing else?

Reciprocal altruism or social behaviour can and does lead to survival benefits.

I wasn't saying otherwise. I was objecting to the implication that evolution had this in mind, figuring altruism useful to it's aims. You've put it more mechanically/mindlessly, which is appropriate.

This is the basis on which morality and evolution intersect.

I'm not sure intersect is the right word. Naturalistic morality is merely a product of evolution, just like nose hair.

Because we are social animals, individual selection and kin selection are inextricably linked. How we act affects the group and the ability of the group to survive affects our own survival. Thus there is a biological need for a set of principles which guide the relationship between the individual and the group.

Not all in the group. The murderer is as much a product of evolution as is the social animal. It's success is as attributable to evolution as any other successful group.
    Obviously the most basic of these is a prohibition on killing, if the survival of the group is important then weakening the group weakens the survival prospects of every member. So individual members secure their own survival by putting in place rules which ensure the survival of the group. Now at the basic hunter gatherer level this is somewhat important, but as a society progresses and becomes more complex the rules need to become similarly complex as well as more stringent. Let's take the example of six survivors stranded on a desert island. Let's say after a few months they discover a stranded but salvageable trawler which they can use to get home. At the beginning of the journey all six have no particular expertise so if one of them dies it will have a small but measurable impact on the group's prospects of getting home. Since none of them can run the ship entirely on their own, they must take responsibility for different aspects of the ship's operation, cooking, engine room, navigation etc. Therefore as the journey progresses each will become more specialised at his/her task. So, the longer the journey the greater a loss each member will pose to the group's overall survival. So the rules for the group's behaviour need to become more codified and more complex. So it is with society, our moral rules and laws have become more complex and codified as our society has developed.

Well elucidated.

This is post-hoc reasoning however. Firstly you have the success of a group evolving to a particular point. Then you look back and say that success was centred on socialability. That maybe so (even if post-hoc) but that success is but a momentary point in evolution, the sociability leading to the kind of complex structure that is capable, in our case, of utterly wiping itself off the map. A less sociable society would be less able to build up that ability and might well survive for longer than we can.

It's as if your suggesting that because sociability has enabled our advance that we should conform to a morality that enhances sociability - stepping off the evolutionary train (whereever that might lead us) but taking the "best" we post-hoc conclude it's given us.

A couple of questions:

What about a morality based on the view that fragmentation of society would lead to the long term survivability of the species/own genes?

Would such a morality be as much a product of evolution as the sociability one?

If all moralities are as valid as each other (all being the direct product either of evolution, or if deciding to take over from evolution and self-directing*) then aren't we left with but a might-is-right kind of morality (the decision of the herd)?

* I'm not sure how one can say they've stepped away from being led by evolution since we are still in the process of evolution (e.g. our being driven to a degree by the random mutations that makes us sociable)

This post is long enough already with my rambling (apologies)

I'm under time pressure too. So hopefully you'll deal with the points as I've raised them above.

It can rely on picking morality out of a hat if you like :)

Yes, of course it could if you wanted to. However, your original post presented a false dilemma, either morality was given/imposed by an external lawgiver like a god or it rests on inner convictions. My point is that those are not the only two options. We can base our morality on non-arbitrary principles other than our own personal tastes. Of course, had you watched Qualia's videos explaining this you would realise this.

That would depend on the basis by which you measure. If picking out of a hat and "homosexuality is fine" is picked out of a hat then no.

That's not answering my question. I asked you on what basis can homosexuality be considered immoral. Now, either you can say that homosexuality is immoral solely because God says so or you can appeal to some other logical principle. Now the God says it I believe it argument has no utility because it just pushes the question back a step i.e. why is it immmoral just because God says so? So, otherwise you need some kind of rational basis for considering homosexuality immoral. So what is it?

That would depend on what you call harm which is a function of your worldview. If, for instance you worldview includes God's law and consequences follow for threading over God's law then it is both illogical and unreasonable to suppose homosexual acts non-harmful.

Well, no it doesn't depend on your worldview. Harm in the sense of the punishment you will receive for breaking the moral code is a fallacious argument, specifically faulty cause and effect. As the old scientific axiom goes, you can't find your hypothesis in your results. You can't appeal to the punishment as the basis for the moral code in the first place.

That would be the subject of discussion. The development of sexuality in an environment where homosexuality is normalised might well differ from sexual development in an environment where it's not. "We know" is a problematic statement.

"We know" is not a problematic statement. While the research on the causes of homosexuality has shown evidence for multiple possible causes including epigenetic, developmental and otherwise biological causes, there has been little consensus on the degree to which any or all of these factors are relevant on an individual basis. However, the one thing that the research has demonstrated is that there is no evidence to suggest that free choice is any kind of factor.

Seeing as your worldview sits at the root of your position, this is a bit kettle/pot/black

No it's not pot/kettle/black at all. If you want I can elucidate my moral position on any topic you choose. I can also defend said position with logical arguments. This is entirely different from adopting a moral position just because it's in your holy text. That is the antithesis of a logical argument, the ultimate appeal to authority.

Understood. Random mutations with some resulting in the preservation of some genes (due to advantage) and the elimination of others.

However, survival itself is random since survivability is related to environment the lifeform finds itself, which itself is the product of random occurrences. For example, the random occurrences which produce a faster cheetah and a slower antelope also become a constituent part of the environment both lifeforms experience. The cheetah flourishing and the antelope not flourishing is the result of the environment they find themselves in - an environment constructed competely of random mutations.

There isn't a single part, either in the mutation producing variation or in the environment in which that mutation is sifted which isn't the product of randomness. So when you suggest the process isn't utterly random I'm left wondering what how something non-random can be built of components consisting of nothing else?

Firstly, a beneficial mutation is not a guarantee of survival nor is it intended to be viewed as such. A beneficial mutation is something which increases an organism's chances of survival without regard for confounding factors. For example, a woman who has a mutation such that she will always have twins when she gets pregnant is likely to leave more descendants than someone without that gene. However, that's no guarantee that she will end up having any children either through choice, a random occurrence or some other mutation.

Secondly, I highlighted a portion of your response above because it shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how evolution works. A cheetah is not competing for survival against an antelope. To use the old joke, there are two friends out in the woods when they stumble across a grizzly bear. One of the friends starts running. The other one calls after him and says "It's pointless running you'll never outrun the bear". The first one calls back "I don't have to outrun the bear, I only have to outrun you." The cheetah is competing against other cheetahs. So even if nothing happens to the antelope, the cheetah will still be better at survival than the other cheetahs. Similarly, if an antelope receives a mutation which makes it slower then it's more likely that said antelope will be easier to pick off and thus leave less descendants than the other antelope.

Finally, to answer your question, the process isn't entirely random because as I already pointed out it's deterministic. Let's look at some maths. For the purposes of this exercise we will assume that all children receive the beneficial mutation from their parents. Let's take two people with an average lifespan of 40 years and an average number of children of 4. Now Person 1 will remain unchanged while Person 2 will receive a lifespan mutation. The effect of this mutation is that Person 2 lives an extra 10 years. So in the first generation, Person 1 leaves 4 descendants and Person 2 leaves five descendants. In the second generation, the four descendants of person 1 leave 4 more descendants each making 20 people in Tribe 1. In tribe 2, the five descendants leave five more each, making 30
    people in Tribe 2. This trend continues until the mutation in Tribe 2 becomes omnipresent in the population. This isn't a random result but the result of population mechanics.

I'm not sure intersect is the right word. Naturalistic morality is merely a product of evolution, just like nose hair.

Sorry perhaps a poor choice of words. I was building to the idea that a set of moral guidelines and a naturalistic process like evolution can be related.

Well elucidated.

This is post-hoc reasoning however. Firstly you have the success of a group evolving to a particular point. Then you look back and say that success was centred on socialability. That maybe so (even if post-hoc) but that success is but a momentary point in evolution, the sociability leading to the kind of complex structure that is capable, in our case, of utterly wiping itself off the map. A less sociable society would be less able to build up that ability and might well survive for longer than we can.

It's as if your suggesting that because sociability has enabled our advance that we should conform to a morality that enhances sociability - stepping off the evolutionary train (whereever that might lead us) but taking the "best" we post-hoc conclude it's given us.

OK, one minor point to begin with. Using a train as a paradigm for evolution is a bad idea since it implies a destination. Like I've said before evolution is not a ladder, more a treadmill. It simply favours those organisms which are well adapted to their environment. There is no goal or objective involved.

I've highlighted the relevant part of your post above so that I can demonstrate that it is not post-hoc reasoning. You see, our degree of sociability is determined, to a degree, by our biology.
    Humans, thanks to their evolutionary history have non-precocious offspring i.e. human infants are not able to fend for themselves, unlike, say, horses. This means that mothers have to spend an inordinate amount of time caring for their offspring, placing an increased burden on them. The consequence of this is that human females developed a concealed oestrus, meaning that the males would no longer be able to tell when the female is in season. This means that the male has to stick around to have any guarantee of paternity. Thus the male is around for longer to help the female with food gathering and child rearing. This changes the dynamic of male-female relationships and thus the rules which we came up with.
    Similarly, humans began as apes which gradually spread out from a tree-dwelling existence into the African savannah. This lead to biological changes as human individuals adapted to life in a changing environment. However, group selection also played a part int the changing environment. In an environment where game was less densely populated, those that survived did so because they hunted collaboratively. The males hunted big game in groups while the women cared for the children collaboratively, gathering whatever other foods were required (e.g. nuts, seeds, fruit etc.) The tribal nature of humans evolved as a response to adaptation to a changing environment. The moral rules concering our society evolved as a response to our adaptation to living in groups. It's not post-hoc reasoning at all. The causal mechanisms can and have been clearly demonstrated. The link that I posted the last time to the book Adaptation and Natural Selection has a very detailed treatment of the issue. For a more pop-sci approach, I would recommend the Red Queen by Matt Ridley.

A couple of questions:

What about a morality based on the view that fragmentation of society would lead to the long term survivability of the species/own genes?

OK, firstly, while there is still some debate about the relative importance of kin selection vs. group selection vs. individual selection, survivability of the species is not something which evolution impacts on/cares about. It's nowhere near that broad. Species is just a line in the sand that we can use to group organisms together and tell them apart.

I don't know exactly what would happen in that kind of hypothetical but it seems unlikely to last. I assume you're talking about an Ayn Rand type individualist society, something like Bioshock. As I've posted above, our history and our biology have made us social animals. We have been shaped by our evolutionary journey to be specialised individuals, both physically and psychologically. It's unlikely that a moral framework such as that, as out of sync as it would be with our biology, would last very long.

Jared Diamond has a very good treatment of the hows and whys of societies collapsing here:

Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed

Would such a morality be as much a product of evolution as the sociability one?

That's a tough one. One of the more curious aspects of our evolution is that we have evolved to the point of choosing not to adhere to basic biological instincts i.e. people choosing not to have children. So whether this individual trait or a similar trait on a group level could be said to have evolved is debatable. Maybe as we unravel epigenetics further, we might get some answers. The short answer is I don't know.

If all moralities are as valid as each other (all being the direct product either of evolution, or if deciding to take over from evolution and self-directing*) then aren't we left with but a might-is-right kind of morality (the decision of the herd)?

Well I wouldn't accept that all moralities are as valid as each other for a start. For example, the biblical moral code contains clear examples of unjust laws and so I would consider it to be mostly useless/invalid as a morality.

Secondly, we're not left with an argumentum ad populum kind of morality. At least, we're not required to be. Like I've said already, this is something that Qualia explains in depths in the first two videos. Perhaps you should watch them again, they should certainly answer this last question.

Yes, of course it could if you wanted to. However, your original post presented a false dilemma, either morality was given/imposed by an external lawgiver like a god or it rests on inner convictions.

What, aside from inner convictions causes a person to:

"base (their) morality on non-arbitrary principles other than (their) own personal tastes"

I mean, a person deciding to adhere to non-arbitrary principles or not is the matter of personal taste. If I want to give someone a smack but decide against it on the non-arbitrary principle indicating I do otherwise then that becomes my personal taste (at least at that moment).
    Of course, had you watched Qualia's videos explaining this you would realise this.

I've no sound on this computer. Does he sign it? :)

That's not answering my question. I asked you on what basis can homosexuality be considered immoral. Now, either you can say that homosexuality is immoral solely because God says so or you can appeal to some other logical principle. Now the God says it I believe it argument has no utility because it just pushes the question back a step i.e. why is it immmoral just because God says so? So, otherwise you need some kind of rational basis for considering homosexuality immoral. So what is it?

It's a worldview that supposes utility need be involved. When morality is defined as that which God condones (or that which is in alignment with his will) then you're at the end of the line. The Euthypro Dilemma is resolved similarly: good is merely defined as that which reflects God's character (thus selflessness is good (because that his character) and selfishness bad (because that's not his character))

Now, there is an underlying rationale to God condoning some things and not others. It has to with the order he intended for mankind which would lead to optimal conditions for mans enjoyment of both the rest of mankind and God. This order is currently out of sync in any number of ways: homosexual activity being an an example of same.

God is in a better position to know best how to construct a world order to the betterment of man than we are. He know effects of all actions in butterfly-flaps-it's-wings fashion. We, on our own, can't view the total effect and can only argue from the position of partial knowledge (e.g. by utilizing the current understanding of the picture given by Science). We, in our micro-understanding look at a particular behaviour, figure it won't do any harm and decide all should be allowed to live and let live on the matter to hand.

Well, no it doesn't depend on your worldview. Harm in the sense of the punishment you will receive for breaking the moral code is a fallacious argument, specifically faulty cause and effect. As the old scientific axiom goes, you can't find your hypothesis in your results. You can't appeal to the punishment as the basis for the moral code in the first place.

It's not so much punishment as harm (although punishment has it's place too). Consequences follow actions and when those actions are out of step with God's order then harm follows. We might think we can spanner on a factory-built Audi engine: "hey it now goes faster - utility says this is good" But Audi have taken all into consideration when designing the engine: performance, fuel economy, reliability, emissions. Audi isn't punishing you when your engine throws a con rod because you've souped it up. It's merely a consequence of upsetting the designers order.

"We know" is not a problematic statement. While the research on the causes of homosexuality has shown evidence for multiple possible causes including epigenetic, developmental and otherwise biological causes, there has been little consensus on the degree to which any or all of these factors are relevant on an individual basis. However, the one thing that the research has demonstrated is that there is no evidence to suggest that free choice is any kind of factor.

I'd point you to the principle above. Once you've concluded God exists, has to total overview in hand, you trust his judgements over the partial knowledge (how partial we do not know - we could be throwing our hands up in the air in a hundred years time over the current conclusions of Science - much as we do about bloodletting as a cure for all ills now)

No it's not pot/kettle/black at all. If you want I can elucidate my moral position on any topic you choose. I can also defend said position with logical arguments. This is entirely different from adopting a moral position just because it's in your holy text. That is the antithesis of a logical argument, the ultimate appeal to authority.

There are reasons behind "the Bible says it, I believe it, that settles it". There is nothing illogical about paying attention to what God says once you've concluded God exists.

Your worldview does sit behind your position: empiricism and rationalism are philosophies which themselves aren't provable. Faith finds it's place where proofs fear to thread.

Firstly, a beneficial mutation is not a guarantee of survival nor is it intended to be viewed as such. A beneficial mutation is something which increases an organism's chances of survival without regard for confounding factors. For example, a woman who has a mutation such that she will always have twins when she gets pregnant is likely to leave more descendants than someone without that gene. However, that's no guarantee that she will end up having any children either through choice, a random occurrence or some other mutation.

Hmm. Is it not the case that the environments treatment of the mutation decides whether the mutation is beneficial? In other words, the advantage is deemed to have arisen only when the mutation meets environment and increased survivability results (in the aggregate of those particular mutations experiencing increased survival rather than the singular case - an individual experiencing what transpires to be beneficial mutation might still run under a bus and not obtain the chance to express the advantage).

I mean, a mutation always producing twins in an environment which can't sustain twins means both offspring suffer increased risk of death - which is reduced survivability.

Deciding a particular mutation beneficial (because it would appear on face value to confer advantage) before the environment has it's say would be a curious thing to decide.

Remember: my concluding point in this section was:

If advantage is only conferred once the environment deems that so (by way of increased survivability) and the environment is the product of random events then my point above stands. Does it not?

Secondly, I highlighted a portion of your response above because it shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how evolution works. A cheetah is not competing for survival against an antelope. To use the old joke, there are two friends out in the woods when they stumble across a grizzly bear. One of the friends starts running. The other one calls after him and says "It's pointless running you'll never outrun the bear". The first one calls back "I don't have to outrun the bear, I only have to outrun you." The cheetah is competing against other cheetahs. So even if nothing happens to the antelope, the cheetah will still be better at survival than the other cheetahs. Similarly, if an antelope receives a mutation which makes it slower then it's more likely that said antelope will be easier to pick off and thus leave less descendants than the other antelope.

This doesn't alter the conclusion I was making (above). The environment (of which all cheetahs and their mutations are but components) is a product of random mutation/chance.

inally, to answer your question, the process isn't entirely random because as I already pointed out it's deterministic. Let's look at some maths. For the purposes of this exercise we will assume that all children receive the beneficial mutation from their parents. Let's take two people with an average lifespan of 40 years and an average number of children of 4. Now Person 1 will remain unchanged while Person 2 will receive a lifespan mutation. The effect of this mutation is that Person 2 lives an extra 10 years. So in the first generation, Person 1 leaves 4 descendants and Person 2 leaves five descendants. In the second generation, the four descendants of person 1 leave 4 more descendants each making 20 people in Tribe 1. In tribe 2, the five descendants leave five more each, making 30
    people in Tribe 2. This trend continues until the mutation in Tribe 2 becomes omnipresent in the population. This isn't a random result but the result of population mechanics.

I understand that survivability begets survival. This talk of determinism occurs within the overarching principle that all that is produced by the process of evolution is the product of random events at all points. In the micro you can speak of increasing complexity and order but this can all be overturned in a moment (say nuclear war or dinosaur extinction). In the macro you merely have a heaving mass or randomness that produces upwards and downwards waves of complexity, order, advancement.

Sorry perhaps a poor choice of words. I was building to the idea that a set of moral guidelines and a naturalistic process like evolution can be related.

Must be related, I would have thought. There are no other components involved than mutations sifted by environment

OK, one minor point to begin with. Using a train as a paradigm for evolution is a bad idea since it implies a destination. Like I've said before evolution is not a ladder, more a treadmill. It simply favours those organisms which are well adapted to their environment. There is no goal or objective involved.

We're agreed on that last point.

I wasn't supposing the evolutionary train having a fixed destination in mind - I was instead picturing what I understood to be the implication of adhering to an evolutionary-related morality. It appears to be suggested that we step away from whatever morality we individually labour under (let's say, a bad, selfish morality) opting instead for the morality understood to have been central to our success (let's say, one prizing sociability). To do that, however, would entail some of us turning our back on where evolution had brought us as individuals (which includes our bad morality) and deciding to move to a non-natural (for these individuals), morality. These individuals would have stepped off the train, so to speak.

I've highlighted the relevant part of your post above so that I can demonstrate that it is not post-hoc reasoning. You see, our degree of sociability is determined, to a degree, by our biology.
    Humans, thanks to their evolutionary history have non-precocious offspring i.e. human infants are not able to fend for themselves, unlike, say, horses. This means that mothers have to spend an inordinate amount of time caring for their offspring, placing an increased burden on them. The consequence of this is that human females developed a concealed oestrus, meaning that the males would no longer be able to tell when the female is in season. This means that the male has to stick around to have any guarantee of paternity. Thus the male is around for longer to help the female with food gathering and child rearing. This changes the dynamic of male-female relationships and thus the rules which we came up with.
    Similarly, humans began as apes which gradually spread out from a tree-dwelling existence into the African savannah. This lead to biological changes as human individuals adapted to life in a changing environment. However, group selection also played a part int the changing environment. In an environment where game was less densely populated, those that survived did so because they hunted collaboratively. The males hunted big game in groups while the women cared for the children collaboratively, gathering whatever other foods were required (e.g. nuts, seeds, fruit etc.) The tribal nature of humans evolved as a response to adaptation to a changing environment. The moral rules concerning our society evolved as a response to our adaptation to living in groups. It's not post-hoc reasoning at all. The causal mechanisms can and have been clearly demonstrated.

Okay, I'll leave post-hoc aside as I'm interested more in the issue of why we one morality is to be consider more valid than another
    I don't know exactly what would happen in that kind of hypothetical but it seems unlikely to last.

It's not all that hypothetical: bad moralities exist all around us and those who possess those bad moralities are demonstrably as successful as the alternatives*: the mutations + the environment they've occupied have brought them to the present day. Perhaps the bad elements of peoples morality are parasitical, reliant on the larger grouping of good moral elements. But parasites have proven successful

* not that I see folk split into good and bad moralities, rather all of us sharing 'good' and 'bad' elements of morality to greater or lesser degree.
    It's unlikely that a moral framework such as that, as out of sync as it would be with our biology, would last very long.

It's not out of sync with it's own biology -

That's a tough one. One of the more curious aspects of our evolution is that we have evolved to the point of choosing not to adhere to basic biological instincts i.e. people choosing not to have children. So whether this individual trait or a similar trait on a group level could be said to have evolved is debatable. Maybe as we unravel epigenetics further, we might get some answers. The short answer is I don't know.

But surely the choice not to have children is but one evolved component overriding another evolved component (biological drivers to have children). I mean, every element and propensity we have is the result of evolution.

Well I wouldn't accept that all moralities are as valid as each other for a start. For example, the biblical moral code contains clear examples of unjust laws and so I would consider it to be mostly useless/invalid as a morality.

I mean validity in the sense that all moralities are arrived at through evolution. The concept of justness being mere convention arrived at by a predominate evolved trait rather than measurement against some absolute measure standing outside evolution

If it's survived then it's valid. Since survivability is the only measure in evolution.

Secondly, we're not left with an argumentum ad populum kind of morality. At least, we're not required to be. Like I've said already, this is something that Qualia explains in depths in the first two videos. Perhaps you should watch them again, they should certainly answer this last question.

What kind of morality are we left with then - is my question. How does one morality suppose itself superior/more valid/more just than another if all moralities around today can point to their success at having survived?

How does one morality suppose itself superior/more valid/more just than another if all moralities around today can point to their success at having survived?
    As above, a "morality" in the sense you're using the term is a set of behaviors and value-judgments handed down by some process and people are expected to stick to them. There are lots to choose from, though most people who've been exposed to just one will tend to think that that particular one is the best and the others are all morally wrong. Being passed from person to person, they're evolved entities themselves so you're really condemning (and failing to understand in a very basic way) the very fundamental structure of what you think you're supporting.

Consensus-based behaviours and value-judgements, aka "ethics", don't have the concept of superiority or validity. They're just down to what people agree and what people are happy with - and in that, you'll find that there's a great deal of consensus - freedom of action, belief and speech amongst consenting adults, education, healthcare, privacy, basic human rights and so on. All the kinds of things that traditional "moralities" don't even have an opinion on, since these concepts didn't exist when they first evolved.

• Advertisement

As above, a "morality" in the sense you're using the term is a set of behaviors and value-judgments handed down by some process and people are expected to stick to them.[/qutoe]

With "the expectation" (by let's say, the majority in that society at that point in evolution) being the product of evolution.
    There are lots to choose from, though most people who've been exposed to just one will tend to think that that particular one is the best and the others are all morally wrong. Being passed from person to person, they're evolved entities themselves

Understood, except for the bit were we detach from our genes so as to make anything "of themselves" as opposed to being a product of genes and environment. How does that detaching work?
    so you're really condemning (and failing to understand in a very basic way) the very fundamental structure of what you think you're supporting.

I'm not so much condemning it as trying to establish where superiority and validity come from. If it's merely:
    They're just down to what people agree and what people are happy with

..and someone decides they've an alternative view on morality that is contra-consensus, then it would appear you've got one evolved view (which has become the consensus) vs. another evolved view (which didn't become the consensus.

There would be no merit in an evolved consensus view throwing an evolved contra-consensus view into jail for transgression of the consensus view - outside it having evolved to be the more powerful consensus. Might is right!

- freedom of action, belief and speech amongst consenting adults, education, healthcare, privacy, basic human rights and so on. All the kinds of things that traditional "moralities" don't even have an opinion on, since these concepts didn't exist when they first evolved.

The concept doesn't have to have existed in a specific way in order to be covered by core principles of the traditional morality (if by traditional, you mean say, Christianity). The exhortation to sexual purity for example would cover pornographic videos - even though porn wouldn't have existed at the time of the construction of the morality.

I'm not so much condemning it as trying to establish where superiority and validity come from.
    As I said above, the concept of "ethical superiority" is contrary to an ethical viewpoint and rejects the very idea of superiority. "Superiority", and all the problems that flow from that, are a fundamental part of most, and probably all, morally-inclined viewpoints.

Ethical behaviour and moral behaviour appear to govern the same kinds of activities, but are fundamentally different. You can't apply moral-based thinking to an ethics-based system without running into the confusion that you are running into.
    Might is right!
    No, consensus is right. And that usually involves explicitly rejecting "might is right" which is the latent threat lying behind most "moral" codes of behaviour - whether the might concerned is a vindictive deity happy to burn somebody in hell for all eternity, or whether it's somebody claiming to act on behalf of a deity here on earth and who's willing, for example, to torch somebody for having the temerity to conform to that person's view of a witch - you might recall Kramer's apocalyptic and lethal Malleus Maleficarum which documented the religious procedures necessary to confirm witchhood.

As I said above, the concept of "ethical superiority" is contrary to an ethical viewpoint and rejects the very idea of superiority. "Superiority", and all the problems that flow from that, are a fundamental part of most, and probably all, morally-inclined viewpoints.

Ethical behaviour and moral behaviour appear to govern the same kinds of activities, but are fundamentally different. You can't apply moral-based thinking to an ethics-based system without running into the confusion that you are running into.

Could you explain the pertinent difference (i.e. they are all a product of evolution and the problems that raises). For example here:

No, consensus is right. And that usually involves explicitly rejecting "might is right" which is the latent threat lying behind most "moral" codes of behaviour

How does the consensus elevate it's view such as to condemn / restrict free expression of the non-consensus view, if not by might?

How does the consensus elevate it's view such as to condemn / restrict free expression of the non-consensus view, if not by might?
    Not sure I understand your question. Free speech is usually considered a human right in places where an ethically-based (consensus-based) systems pertain, so people are free, within broad limits, to say what they want; and nobody really tries to stop them, even if the speech they indulge in is broadly dismissive of the system that gives them the right to indulge it in the first place.

Not sure I understand your question. Free speech is usually considered a human right in places where an ethically-based (consensus-based) systems pertain, so people are free, within broad limits, to say what they want; and nobody really tries to stop them, even if the speech they indulge in is broadly dismissive of the system that gives them the right to indulge it in the first place.

It was do what they want rather than say what they want, I was after. Free expression in one's doing.

It was do what they want rather than say what they want, I was after. Free expression in one's doing.
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I find its the opposite
    fact

?

I announce I want to put someone to death for wearing clothes of mixed threads. The consensus ethical view (which I would presume you to say governs this situation) holds otherwise.

How does the consensus view prevent my free expression of my moral system if not by might? We both hold ourselves to be right - so it seems might holds ultimate sway. I'm either prevented by might from that expression or, in the event I manage to circumvent prevention but not capture after the event, might slings me in the slammer and holds me there at it's pleasure.

What, aside from inner convictions causes a person to:

"base our morality on non-arbitrary principles other than our own personal tastes"

I mean, deciding to adhere to non-arbitrary principles is the product of personal taste. If I want to give someone a smack but decide against it on the non-arbitrary principle indicating otherwise then that becomes my personal taste (at least at that moment).

Except that you weren't talking about the person's choice of rules in your original post you were talking about the rules themselves. The rules are based on non-arbitrary principles. The person's decision to adhere to them isn't. The goalposts are fine where they are. Stop moving them.

I've no sound on this computer. Does he sign it? :)

Why don't you watch it and find out?:)

It's a worldview that supposes utility need be involved. When morality is defined as that which God condones (or that which is in alignment with his will) then you're at the end of the line. The Euthypro Dilemma is resolved similarily: good is merely defined as that which reflects God's character (thus selflessness is good (because that his character) and selfishness bad (because that's not his character)

Now there is a rationale to God condoning some things and not others. It has to with the order he intended for mankind which would lead to optimal conditions for mans enjoyment of both mankind and God. This order is currently out of sync in any number of ways: homosexual activity being an an example of same.

God is in a better position to know best how to construct a world order than we are - one which knows the effects of all causes in butterfly-flaps-it's-wings fashion. We can't view the total effect and can only argue from the position of partial knowledge. We, in our micro-understanding look at a particular behaviour, figure it won't do any harm and decide to live and let live.

OK, two things here.

Firstly, utility is necessary, whatever your worldview. If you're going to say that something is moral solely because God says so, then you're just making an appeal to authority. Secondly, just saying that homosexuality (or anything else) is immoral because God says so doesn't explain anything. It doesn't explain why it is immoral or why God condones it. You have to add on an explanation like you have above.

Secondly, the order he intended for mankind would assume at best a directed evolution or at worst direct creation. But there is no evidence to suggest either of these things, especially when you're only talking about humans.

Finally, suggesting that God made homosexuality immoral is an insufficient explanation for a number of reasons. It doesn't explain why God allows someone to be born homosexual in the first place if it doesn't fit within his order. It simply pushes the question back a step because then you have to ask why the order God intends should be considered right or just or why God's character should be considered right or just. After all, the only purported record of God's actions don't portray a being whose character or actions are right or just.

It's not so much punishment as harm (although punishment has it's place too). Consequences follow actions and when those actions are out of step with God's order then harm follows. We might think we can spanner on a factory-built Audi engine: "hey it now goes faster - utility says this is good" But Audi have taken all into consideration when designing the engine: performance, fuel economy, reliability, emissions. Audi isn't punishing you when your engine throws a con rod because you've souped it up. It's merely a consequence of upsetting the designers order.

But how does it upset the designer's order. Since homosexuality isn't a matter of choice, then these people have no mens rea, no guilty mind in being outside the designers order. Furthermore, since homosexuality isn't a matter of choice, the fact that one person is homosexual isn't going to cause anyone else to be homosexual nor is it going to interrupt anyone else who follows God's order. It's like saying that someone who eats a donut is interrupting someone else's diet.

I'd point you to the principle above. Once you've concluded God exists, has to total overview in hand, you trust his judgements over the partial knowledge (how partial we do not know - we could be throwing our hands up in the air in a hundred years time over the current conclusions of Science - much as we do about bloodletting as a cure for all ills now)

Except that this point would only be relevant if we didn't know if choice could be a factor. Except that we do know and choice isn't a factor.

There are reasons behind "the bible says it, I believe it, that settles it". There is nothing illogical about paying attention to what God says once you've concluded God exists.

Your worldview does sit behind your position: empiricism and rationalism are philosophies which themselves aren't provable. Faith finds it's place where proofs fear to thread.

Of course it's illogical. Even if you concluded God exists, putting forth the proposition that something is true because God says it is still a fallacious argument. If something really is true then it should be possible to demonstrate that without retreating into this pointless soundbite.

Hmm. Is it not the case that the environments treatment of the mutation decide whether the mutation is beneficial? In other words, the advantage is deemed to have arisen only when the mutation meets environment and increased survivability results (in the aggregate of those mutations experiencing increased survival rather than the singular case - an individual experiencing what would actually be a beneficial mutation might still run under a bus and not obtain the chance to express the advantage).

Well, no. If you'll pardon my french you've still got the relationship between the individual and the environment completely arse about face. The benefit of a particular mutation is not that it helps the individual to objectively live longer or be better at survival, just better than other members of its species. It is how many descendants the individual leaves compared to other members of the species that counts, not any objective measure. Also, survivability isn't the only mechanism in play. You also have attractiveness to take into account. For example, like humans, female birds are saddled with a bigger biological burden when it comes to child rearing than the males. Therefore, the payoff for the female is choice. The male must grow plumage which can and often does impact his survival potential in order to woo a female. A female peacock looks for the male with the biggest and most perfect tail feathers because a) if there were any defect in the male's genes it would show up in the tail feather pattern and b) if the male is still alive and healthy and yet has such a big tail then this is another sign of good genes and also good food gathering capability.
    So as you can see, because the invidivual doesn't compete directly against the environment and because survivability is not the only mechanism in play and can often conflict with attractiveness, looking at survivability in an environmental context is misguided.

Sharon Moalem has a very good discussion of this topic in his book Survival of the Sickest

I mean, a mutation always producing twins in an environment which can't sustain twins means both offspring risk death - which is in aggregate sense, reduced survivability.

Sustainability is a different matter entirely. The effect of what is at first a beneficial mutation may either fall away due to selective pressures or turn into a negative. Take malaria for example. A long time ago in Africa where malaria killed an inordinate number of people a mutation arose in the population which altered the shape of red blood cells giving those with the mutation a certain immunity to the disease. Naturally those with the mutation lived longer and left more descendants than those who didn't. Eventually the mutation became so widespread in the population that people began receiving two copies of the altered gene. To simplify, the effect of this was that the altered genes now produced so many of the altered red blood cells that certain functions of these cells were compromised especially iron transportation. The disease sickle cell anaemia arose from this.
    So how long a mutation will remain beneficial is not pertinent to its initial survival advantage.

Deciding a particular mutation beneficial (because it would appear on face value to confer advantage) before the environment has it's say would be a curious thing to decide.

Except that we're talking about the transgenerational effect of the mutation. Obviously if a person gets a mutation which gives them a natural lifespan of 500 years and then gets hit by a bus when they are fifteen, then the mutation can't be said to have had any effect at all. A mutation is deemed beneficial restrospectively, once we have seen it's effect, not what it's effect might be.
    Remember that most of the time in evolutionary biology we're looking at particular genes to see why they have survived in a particular species' genome for so long. For example, look at blood types. Blood type O is caused by the recessive form of a gene on the long arm of chromosome 9 which was altered due to a frameshift mutation. One of the principal effects of this change was that people with blood type O unlike the others were susceptible to cholera. Therefore, you would imagine, blood type O would have disappeared from the genome a long time ago. However, when we looked at why O remains we found that people with blood type O have a higher malarial resistance than the other types.

If advantage is only conferred once the environment deems that so (by way of increased survivability) and the environment is the produce of random events then my point above stands. Does it not?

No. A truly random process would mean that any mutation which occurred in say generation 1 would have an equally likely chance of still being found in the genome in generation 10. However, that's not the case. Mutations which confer benefits regarding survival/attractiveness are more likely to be found in the genome in later generations.
    One side point here. Most mutations are in fact neutral, or at least they are on their own. Our base mutation rate (i.e. the number of differences between the genes copied from both our parents is about 128) so most of them are necessarily neutral. For example gene duplication can be a neutral mutation when it first happens. An extra copy of a gene is produced and the second one becomes redundant. Because this spare gene is freed from selective pressure it can experience a much higher mutation rate than the operative gene. The result of this is that after many generations the second gene can be mutated to the point where it now has a novel and important function in the host organism. Like the evolution of nylon eating bacteria for example.

This doesn't alter the conclusion I was making (the once above). The environment (of which all cheetahs and their mutations are but components) is a product of random mutation/chance.

The fact that the mutation occurs is due to random chance. The fact that the mutation gets retained in the genome over several generations isn't.

I wasn't supposing the evolutionary train having a fixed destination in mind - I was instead picturing what I understood to be the implication of adhering to an evolutionary-related morality. It appears to be suggested that we step away from whatever morality we individually labour under (let's say, a bad, selfish morality) opting instead for the morality understood to have been central to our success (let's say, one prizing sociability). To do that, however, would entail some of us turning our back on where evolution had brought us as individuals (which includes our bad morality) and deciding to move to a non-natural (for these individuals), morality. These individuals would have stepped off the train, so to speak.

OK, I've highlighted the important part of your point above. This is veering dangerously close to arguing from the naturalistic fallacy. At several points in the past people, creationists mainly, have argued that evolution leads to social darwinism that evolution dictates a particular morality. It doesn't. Evolution explains our evolutionary development into social animals. It explains why we have a moral code. It gives us hints as to why certain moral commands (murder, incest etc.) might exist. But that's it. Evolution states what is not what ought to be.

I mean validity in the sense that all moralities are arrived at through evolution. The concept of justness being mere convention arrived at by a predominate evolved trait rather than measurement against some absolute measure standing outside evolution

If it's survived then it's valid. Since survivability is the only measure in evolution.

Well I'd have to disagree with that. Just because a particular moral code has survived doesn't make it valid. Even Christians would have to admit this since they have either dispensed with certain commandments entirely (i.e. shellfish, tattoos etc.) or would not advocate the punishments outlined in the OT (the death penalty for most crimes).
    Secondly, it is whether the moral codes themselves can be logically justified make a moral code valid not that the moral code still exists. For example, take these biblical moral codes:

Cannibalism as punishment (Jeremiah 19:9)

Punishing children for mockery by being ripped apart by bears (2 Kings 2:23-25)

Punishing children for their parent's actions (Isaiah 14:21-22)

Victimless crimes (Numbers 15:32-36, Leviticus 18:22, Exodus 20:4)

None of these moral pronouncements can be logically defended as valid without recourse to God says it as an excuse. They fact that they've hung around doesn't make it valid. People are stupid that way. They buy into silly ideas which hang around.

• Advertisement

Except that you weren't talking about the person's choice of rules in your original post you were talking about the rules themselves. The rules are based on non-arbitrary principles. The person's decision to adhere to them isn't. The goalposts are fine where they are. Stop moving them.

This is my original statement:
    Because if you can't then it would appear the root of both religious and non-religious morality/ethics system are both going to lie in inner convictions of men.

You can see that:

a) There is no false dilemma - your making that claim below in response to the above point:
    oldrnwisr wrote:
    However, your original post presented a false dilemma, either morality was given/imposed by an external lawgiver like a god or it rests on inner convictions.

My original statement suggested that all moralities rest on inner conviction - both religious and irreligious. It wasn't either/or (which is what you'd need for a dilemma)

b) the choice (or inner conviction) for God's rules isn't a choice for arbitrariness, given solid reasons to plump for God's rules (such as his being in a better position to know how to construct a society).

Why don't you watch it and find out?:)

I prefer debating you.

Firstly, utility is necessary, whatever your worldview. If you're going to say that something is moral solely because God says so, then you're just making an appeal to authority. Secondly, just saying that homosexuality (or anything else) is immoral because God says so doesn't explain anything. It doesn't explain why it is immoral or why God condones it. You have to add on an explanation like you have above.

Utility is only necessary when you decide to define morality in a(n ultimately) utilitarian way. If morality is defined as I've defined it (as reflecting the character of God as he happens to be - with us partially (since we are fallen and disordered) reflecting that in our own moralities) then there is no need for utility to occupy prime position. Utility, as a derivative of God as ultimate source, can be pointed to on occasion (such as selfishness not advancing human happiness)

It needs to be borne in mind that a definition isn't an explanatory device. A dog is defined as having 4 legs and a wagging tail. The definition of dog doesn't explain why a dog has 4 legs and a wagging tail. There is no explaining why God is the way he is - he just is as he is.

Secondly, the order he intended for mankind would assume at best a directed evolution or at worst direct creation. But there is no evidence to suggest either of these things, especially when you're only talking about humans.

We're both in the realm of faith here. Me: faith in God being the ultimate source of reality and having a direct hand in our construction and the construction of the society that rolls out from that. You: faith in your philosophies as the optimal way to govern all our activities / faith that the evidence best indicates the way we should go, and if the evidence isn't yet complete then soon, very soon it will be.

Finally, suggesting that God made homosexuality immoral is an insufficient explanation for a number of reasons. It doesn't explain why God allows someone to be born homosexual in the first place if it doesn't fit within his order. It simply pushes the question back a step because then you have to ask why the order God intends should be considered right or just or why God's character should be considered right or just. After all, the only purported record of God's actions don't portray a being whose character or actions are right or just.

The Fall describes the falling from optimal order of both man and the creation. Death, decay, disorder ensued. God allowed it because that is what man wanted (at least, he wanted away from God and in being granted that, obtained the consequences of detaching himself from God)

The definition deals with God being right and just. As I've said, a definition doesn't provide explanation. If God had been otherwise, then so too would have been rightness and justness.

Utility will be involved as a derivative but the end point will be God's character, without any explanation for him being one way as opposed to another. He simply is as he is.

But how does it upset the designer's order. Since homosexuality isn't a matter of choice, then these people have no mens rea, no guilty mind in being outside the designers order. Furthermore, since homosexuality isn't a matter of choice, the fact that one person is homosexual isn't going to cause anyone else to be homosexual nor is it going to interrupt anyone else who follows God's order. It's like saying that someone who eats a donut is interrupting someone else's diet.

The designers order was upset by the Fall. Whether the result is something over which a person feels they have no control (such as their sexuality) or feels they have control but chooses to do anyway, doesn't alter the disorderliness.

Except that this point would only be relevant if we didn't know if choice could be a factor. Except that we do know and choice isn't a factor.

What we know is open to change. And with it, our understanding of sexual development.

Is the decision to express one's sexuality a choice?

Of course it's illogical. Even if you concluded God exists, putting forth the proposition that something is true because God says it is still a fallacious argument. If something really is true then it should be possible to demonstrate that without retreating into this pointless soundbite.

I didn't say something was true. I said I felt it logical to suppose that a benevolent God would be in a better position to construct a world order to the betterment of mankind (a redeemed mankind I should add - this world of ours isn't intended to be the optimal order) than something produced by us.

This whether you understand the word logical as "reasonable & sensible" or whether you understood it in an IF/THEN way.

It's worth noting that logic and reason would, in the case of God's existence, be products of God's character. We are logical and reasoning because he is. There couldn't be a truth arrived at by logic and reason that would confound what God says.

Hmm. Is it not the case that the environments treatment of the mutation decide whether the mutation is beneficial? In other words, the advantage is deemed to have arisen only when the mutation meets environment and increased survivability results (in the aggregate of those mutations experiencing increased survival rather than the singular case - an individual experiencing what would actually be a beneficial mutation might still run under a bus and not obtain the chance to express the advantage).
    oldernwisr wrote:
    Well, no. If you'll pardon my french you've still got the relationship between the individual and the environment completely arse about face. The benefit of a particular mutation is not that it helps the individual to objectively live longer or be better at survival, just better than other members of its species.

Those other members of it's species constituting part of the total environment which "decides" whether a particular mutation is to be deemed beneficial or not.

It is how many descendants the individual leaves compared to other members of the species that counts, not any objective measure.

The environment decides beneficial or not. In other words.

Also, survivability isn't the only mechanism in play. You also have attractiveness to take into account. For example, like humans, female birds are saddled with a bigger biological burden when it comes to child rearing than the males. Therefore, the payoff for the female is choice. The male must grow plumage which can and often does impact his survival potential in order to woo a female. A female peacock looks for the male with the biggest and most perfect tail feathers because a) if there were any defect in the male's genes it would show up in the tail feather pattern and b) if the male is still alive and healthy and yet has such a big tail then this is another sign of good genes and also good food gathering capability.
    So as you can see, because the invidivual doesn't compete directly against the environment and because survivability is not the only mechanism in play and can often conflict with attractiveness, looking at survivability in an environmental context is misguided.

You are clearly knowledgeable on the subject!. However, my point was about randomness at all stages: the environment itself being constructed only by randomness (whether that results in survivability or attractiveness or any other element which results in gene propagation onwards).

And how it was you could suppose anything else at work?

So how long a mutation will remain beneficial is not pertinent to its initial survival advantage.

Agreed. My point was that the utterly random process produces ebbs and flows in complexity. Talk of determination in an utterly random environment is to talk against the natural ups and downs. You seem to forward the notion that because a random beneficial mutation isn't eradicated immediately but is sustained by further randomness (a.k.a. other mutations and the randomly constructed environment) but which can always be eliminated by another set of randomness is to be viewed as determination.

My question is as before: how does one suppose any of the current status other than the product of randomness? What non-random building blocks are involved. To say 'determination' is to take a sliver of the total graph, point to the upward trajectory that sliver possesses and say "this is produced by something other than randomness"

Except that we're talking about the transgenerational effect of the mutation. Obviously if a person gets a mutation which gives them a natural lifespan of 500 years and then gets hit by a bus when they are fifteen, then the mutation can't be said to have had any effect at all. A mutation is deemed beneficial restrospectively, once we have seen it's effect, not what it's effect might be.

We are agreed on that. Beneficial is deemed to have occurred after the environment has had it's say and the mutation charges on.

The fact that the mutation occurs is due to random chance. The fact that the mutation gets retained in the genome over several generations isn't.

This is queried on my point above regarding what, other than random events (which constitute the environment in which the mutation is retained (even over several generations) brings this retention about?

OK, I've highlighted the important part of your point above. This is veering dangerously close to arguing from the naturalistic fallacy. At several points in the past people, creationists mainly, have argued that evolution leads to social darwinism that evolution dictates a particular morality. It doesn't. Evolution explains our evolutionary development into social animals. It explains why we have a moral code. It gives us hints as to why certain moral commands (murder, incest etc.) might exist. But that's it. Evolution states what is not what ought to be.

Where does the "ought to be" aspect of morality come from, if not from evolution? And from where does the contrary view come from, if not evolution?

Well I'd have to disagree with that. Just because a particular moral code has survived doesn't make it valid.

If you can point to place where moralities depart from being merely the product of our (continuing) evolution then I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Even Christians would have to admit this since they have either dispensed with certain commandments entirely (i.e. shellfish, tattoos etc.) or would not advocate the punishments outlined in the OT (the death penalty for most crimes).

I think that would come from understanding the place of those laws rather than having evolved to think differently about them.

Secondly, it is whether the moral codes themselves can be logically justified make a moral code valid not that the moral code still exists.

I await this logic with interest. Namely, where the non-evolved aspect of it comes from. And the basis for an 'ought to' can be extracted in such a way as to trump someone else's 'ought not' when faced with a particular situation.

None of these moral pronouncements can be logically defended as valid without recourse to God says it as an excuse.

That presupposes logic the only valid way to arrive at morality. Could you give a proof for this?

Advertisement