Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast Republic on 2fm thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mini homer

its really poor so far this show wont last long.. even worse than hectors show now that's saying something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Trebor Gluck

Ah this is terrible terrible radio lads. Listened today for the first time it's like transition year students have taken over !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

this is the worst radio i have ever heard, i tuned in for a few minutes one morning and they persistently went on with the old gag about going for chips and asking the wife if she wanted chips.....it was painful listening, keith is the only one who sounds like he knows what he is doing, keith and bernard used to be on i radio and they werent too bad so i dont know what is going on here, jen is no radio head so she has to go and leave the two lads to try make something of the show, bernard is trying to do a stand up routine on radio and it doesnt work, its hard to believe i am saying this, but the show is worse than hector and he was awful

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

welcome aboard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Turn the radio on

Probably hector and his family singing up to give the show bad reviews

• Advertisement

i dont think the show needs hector to give it bad reviews, speaking of hector, why the heck to rte persist in using hector on tv with the same old routine, he is so one dimensional, the guy is a buffoon, it was a novelty once but now is just stupid and he is embarrassing to watch, are we that starved of talent in this country??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Probably hector and his family singing up to give the show bad reviews

and you my friend are Dan Healy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

jezzer wrote: »
    i dont think the show needs hector to give it bad reviews, speaking of hector, why the heck to rte persist in using hector on tv with the same old routine, he is so one dimensional, the guy is a buffoon, it was a novelty once but now is just stupid and he is embarrassing to watch, are we that starved of talent in this country??

Mrs.Browns Boys and Killinascully are among the most watched TV programmes in Ireland, people love lowest-common-denominator TV with buffoons making the same stupid jokes over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

God this is awful muck, is it supposed to be funny? Trying way to hard.

ah ghostdancer, you cannot seriously compare mrs brown and killinascully to bloody hector???? i'm not personally a fan of mrs brown but i can see why people are interested as its a show about an average dublin woman and her family and has humerous moments around that, i am a big fan of killinascully and again its a show about your typical village in ireland and its inhabitants, however hector, what does he represent? i lad trying to look younger than he is, putting on a big country thicko personality, pretending he is mad craic, going rahoo rahoo rahoo, keep her lit keep her lit, come on, its so embarrassing at this stage, he is one dimensional at best, an idiot if you like and rte persist in using him, honestly bosco would do a better job.
    I think dave mcsavage got him spot on, he goes around pretending to be full of craic whilst all he is really doing is annoying people

• Advertisement

lufties wrote: »
    God this is awful muck, is it supposed to be funny? Trying way to hard.

i couldnt listen to it, i am embarrassed for them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

i couldnt listen to it, i am embarrassed for them

I don't know that keith lad, but the other two eejits are just head wrecking..I'd go to work in foul humour after listening to these two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

keith sounds like he knows his stuff. But I have given up on this show...gave them a week and half...Bernard talking crap 99% of time...and Jen..i liker her on tv..but on radio she adds nothing..They need to kill this show...

its really hard to believe they got it so wrong, i'd love to know how much the people who sanctioned this show are on, rte, supporting the farce...

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

I thought nothing could be worse than Hector. I was wrong :-(

nothing is worse than hector but they arent far off, at least they are decent on tv, hector is terrible on both

How long will this train wreck get???

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

They make the following show seem like jeremy paxman now!!

the problem for the powers that be in rte is that they of course will find it very difficult to admit they got it dreadfully wrong....i m sure they are currently holding frantic meetings to try and come up with some ideas....but of course due to the fact that they got it wrong in the first place...as they always do (hector was a walking joke of a disaster)....they wont come up with anything better then 6 months down the line they will announce a change in schedule and will get in someone like aidan power accompanied by the token girl presenter maybe kathryn thomas, and that will stop a gap for a while, jen will be first to go stating that she was only poised to do the show for a while anyway and is busy concentrating on other projects, they will struggle on with the show with the two lads "having the craic".... i would feel sorry for bernard, just when his star was on the rise, this will set him back no end, on the other hand, maybe he has been found out to be a one trick pony, ok for a bit of stand up and part feature as the thick culchie eejit in comedy shows on rte, keith never really made it after him and joe went their separate ways from spin, i used to really enjoy that show, i think he is a decent presenter but only as second man not anchor. such a mess....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

the problem for the powers that be in rte is that they of course will find it very difficult to admit they got it dreadfully wrong....i m sure they are currently holding frantic meetings to try and come up with some ideas....but of course due to the fact that they got it wrong in the first place...as they always do (hector was a walking joke of a disaster)....they wont come up with anything better then 6 months down the line they will announce a change in schedule and will get in someone like aidan power accompanied by the token girl presenter maybe kathryn thomas, and that will stop a gap for a while, jen will be first to go stating that she was only poised to do the show for a while anyway and is busy concentrating on other projects, they will struggle on with the show with the two lads "having the craic".... i would feel sorry for bernard, just when his star was on the rise, this will set him back no end, on the other hand, maybe he has been found out to be a one trick pony, ok for a bit of stand up and part feature as the thick culchie eejit in comedy shows on rte, keith never really made it after him and joe went their separate ways from spin, i used to really enjoy that show, i think he is a decent presenter but only as second man not anchor. such a mess....

This is of course is the second time that Keith has been on the radio with Bernard. When Joe and Keith parted after Spin, Keith went on to host iWakeup with Bernard on i105-107 (now part of the merged iRadio). And of course Joe and Keith did reunite in September 2012 on Phantom. They co-hosted breakfast on Phantom until Keith went on "holidays" last December. (Aside: Keith came to Phantom during 2011 as PD and his buddy Joe was with Newstalk in the same building!)

Apart from all that anoracky information (!), I suppose I am saying Keith certainly has got plenty of experience in presenting weekday breakfast shows and, during his spell in Phantom the last few years, would have some management experience too. (I know the intrepid duo were with Phantom in its pirate era!) I think he is very capable, notwithstanding the fact that some people believe he contributed to Phantom's more recent problems.

I hesitate to criticize the new breakfast show for the simple reason that I never liked this style of radio in the morning, where most of the time is taken up with people saying silly things. I never liked the Strawberry Alarm Clock. I have to say that Phantom's Joe and Keith (now Joe and Charlotte) was better to my ears than the Breakfast Republic. I suppose it is partly to do with the type of music being played between the banter and partly because Phantom's version was not quite as painful to my ears anyway!

For me, there are too many people involved, with all that chatter going on. Having only heard bits of it a couple of times, I reckon Jen is the weakest link and Bernard can be irritating too. Going back to what I said about Keith, in a different context (maybe more music-driven or a different show or different co-hosts or on his own), he could do okay on 2FM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Turn the radio on

What do you think of the rest of the new schedule Declan?

What do you think of the rest of the new schedule Declan?

That's not really for this thread now is it?

• Site Banned Posts: 1 Mr Bob Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Gave up on this after 2 days.
    If it was the only breakfast show on radio, i would gladly turn off the radio and listen to the sounds of nature.

Horrible!!

Ha! mixed reviews! i have yet to see a good review which of course does not exist because the show is terrible tripe, i think what she is doing there is readying herself to leave the show in a few weeks time citing the fact that it is too difficult for her to do both television and radio maybe taking a few weeks off due to exhaustion, of course its very important for her to portray this image that her social life is very important and that she is a mad bird about town but at 33 she most lightly spends her evenings in front of the tv...

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

I tried again this morning thats the last time. is it aimed at 5 year olds

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Heard the last fifteen minutes of the show this morning...

- Are 2FM staff not trained to talk into microphones? Honestly, there're better acoustics in the college radio stations around the country. Sounds like they're in a cave or something. (Not a specific Breakfast problem, it's a pretty common trend).

- The clip from Republic of Telly: Did they rip the audio from YouTube? Seriously, that was criminally bad. Surely they should have had access to decent quality?

- Jennifer Maguire seems out of place.

- Main host is OK, think he'll grow into the slot if he gets time, but the others that were on were talking over him a lot and there seemed to be little or no chemistry or timing between them.

Overall, pretty terrible. Comes across as "the lads" sitting around trying to be cool. Not my cup of tea at all.

i looked at rep of telly last night, whilst the show is seriously missing dermot whelan and neil delemar before him, bernard is far better on tv, yes he is pretty one dimensional as he does the thicko culchie routine but he can be funny and he is likeable and he need visual to be funny as a lot of what he does is based on seeing him with his big stupid red head which he puts on for the routine. however, he is just not strong enough to carry a show himself but certainly a good addition to any show. I was never a fan of jennifer mcguire, i dont see the appeal, she is a bit forward and thats all she really has going for her. overall the standard of comedy in rte is at an all time low, but what would you expect, rte is a cestpool of a place and really would need somebody to go in and do a massive clear out but that will never happen

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Les Ferdinand

Give Ian Dempsey more money than what he's currently earning?
    Surely RTE could afford Iano & Mario. They'd be only earning slightly more than what the current three are currently getting

• Advertisement

i'm not sure iano and mario would move, why would they go from a decent station to a sinking ship, not unless 2fm were to do a proper overhaul like 98fm and get in a number of high profile presenters and get rid of tubbers, colm hayes etc

Advertisement