Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast Republic on 2fm thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Agree with above poster. However I thought Hector was bad but this lot are unspeakable.
    "Bannisterism" lives on in 2fm, why not just broadcast mute for 2hrs,it might get better jnlr ratings .)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I have listened for a few minutes each morning going to work and its begun to really annoy me.
    Bernard is a smart guy putting on this fake eejit image and he has really hit the depths of entertainment by jokin about his un born child and the naming of it.
    Teddy and Asumptia were two names he suggested.
    FFS Bernsrd its not a sketch show its your unborn child your making fun of and not having a laugh yto your best mate in the pub but on national radio.
    Absolute nothing in this show does anything for me and as Keith was signing off with a see ye tomorrow Bearnard interupted with a "Do we have to"
    Well I wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Absolute nothing in this show does anything for me and as Keith was signing off with a see ye tomorrow Bearnard interupted with a "Do we have to"
    Well I wont.

Did he use that line again today?
    He used it last week and it was lame then.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I've only heard a few snippets and it's already repetitive. Mind you I was bored of Hector too. Maybe I'm just hard to please.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DiscoFever

I have been listening since it started hoping it would grow on me as I havent found another breakfast show I like since Dermot & Dave moved from breakfast slot on 98fm and Hector now gone from 2fm. And I just had to give up on it, I just cant listen to any of them. The Republic of Telly was great but they are just not translating to radio. Its dire!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Gave it a listen this morning. Seems like the easiest job in the world. Whenever I turned over it was music, music, music. Which is grand and all but I'd say they spend about 20 mins out of the two hours actually on the air between songs, news and ad breaks. Cushy job or what? And there's 3 of them, 7 mins work each. That would even make Marion Finucane blush...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I tuned in this morning....to be fair to the presenters as bad as it is....the music and ads are worse ...there is no symbiosis at all between the "show" and the music....shows such as that should not have playlists...

What are you breakfast republic....what are you???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

I find Jennifer Maguire very very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

shows like this need time to find themselves, but i think this one is starting on the wrong foot!

(tubridy's been finding his feet for four years now)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

The most straight forward brekkie show is 4 fms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Gave it another few minutes this morning and to be fair yer man Bernard did make me laugh - once - when he said he was going to get his wife to go on twitter and defend criticism of 'this show' a la Michael Carricks wife who had a pop at Roy Keane the other day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I heard another snippet, it's really coming across as "breakfast show by numbers". What really grates is the 'Oh look how stupid Bernard is, he keeps giving the answer of the competition away' bit they seem to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

Decided to give this a go this morning and it's just horrible. As mentioned in the thread the personas they've created for themselves on tv just don't translate to radio at all. Is Bernard gonna keep up his big country thicko shtick forever? It's already wearing very thin.
    Your man Keith seems to be trying his best to keep it all together but the other two just seem to blurt out the first thing that comes into their head anytime they feel like it. He was about to go into the news and sport this morning when Jennifer decided it was time to address some ****e that was written about her in the papers. He was like like "eh, eh can we do the news first"
    Do they not even talk to each other during the songs or discuss the next link?
    Overall a very poor show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Heard another bit of this show, and I have to give up now. Today's 'breakfast show by numbers'™ moment was Jen discussing her prospective mother in law, because everyone knows mothers in law are awful and hilarious. :rolleyes:

Also, they used the term mother in laws multiple times, it's actually mothers in law. FFS :pac:

Anyway, that's it with that show, back to Newstalk/Radio 1/Podcasts/Google Music/Spotify/silence for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 calendarqueen

I tuned in again this morning for a few mins to see if things were any better.

Heard Jen pretend to be surprised to learn that Nicky Byrne was a professional footballer for a while. 2nd time this week she's pretended to be shocked by this news. It was horrible. Like a kindergarten teacher interacting with small kids.

Also, the bit where she wanted to interupt the news slot to talk about stuff in the papers! Horrible. Made me think that Keith must be climbing the walls with this pair.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I tuned in a couple of times just to see if it was a bad as people on here are making it out to be. It took all of 15 seconds (when Bernard chimed in) to confirm it is. Sadly it wasn't even a case of 'so bad it's funny'. I feel for Keith, you could hear the despair in his voice as the other two wittered on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Since Keith is responsible for the shuttering of phantom, 20 people losing their jobs, and clearly used his inside knowledge at both stations to jump before his disasters came home to roost, I don't think anyone should feel sorry for him at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Had to listen myself just to see if the previous posts were over-exaggerations. They were not.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Its pretty poor amature radio

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

The Breakfast Republic is appalling.....
    the level of how amateurish it is, is mind blowing.
    I was really looking forward to this new slot, love Bernard and Jen from other stuff they did.. don't know keith but it sounded good
    how wrong was I.
    Keith comes across as having no personality and like he is just reading a script.. he makes the "Plank" Kenny look good.
    Jen sounds like she is lost and hasnt a clue whats going on and Bernard is like that kid every class had, thick as two shot planks and tries to be funny with his one liners... and all that happens is everyone cringes cause they suck..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Since Keith is responsible for the shuttering of phantom, 20 people losing their jobs, and clearly used his inside knowledge at both stations to jump before his disasters came home to roost, I don't think anyone should feel sorry for him at all.

I don't want to single you out here because it's not fair as others are making the point too so don't take it personally, but to solely pin the blame the on Keith Walsh is ridiculous, Phantom was failing before he came in and was being propped up by Communicorp for a long time. It wasn't turning a profit with or without him. No doubt he has to take some responsibility but he didn't stop people listening to the station on his own.

He sacked the weekend dj's and lost 35,000 listeners out of an average of 45,000. Phantom went from a struggling station with high overheads to a dead station which actively drove away its audience and had no chance to pick up a new one.

So yes, he is responsible. The numbers and the cliff-like drop in quality speak for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

The big question is will they last longer than Rick and Ruth? I listened to one link yesterday morning whilst The Strawberry Alarm Clock was on a break and even the song choices sound poor. Anyway only time will tell if listeners like to hear them in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

bbability wrote: »
    The big question is will they last longer than Rick and Ruth? I listened to one link yesterday morning whilst The Strawberry Alarm Clock was on a break and even the song choices sound poor. Anyway only time will tell if listeners like to hear them in the morning.
    How long did rick and Ruth get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Turn the radio on

MrMac84 wrote: »
    How long did rick and Ruth get?
    6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

He sacked the weekend dj's and lost 35,000 listeners out of an average of 45,000. Phantom went from a struggling station with high overheads to a dead station which actively drove away its audience and had no chance to pick up a new one.

So yes, he is responsible. The numbers and the cliff-like drop in quality speak for themselves.

It's not really the place for it, and I'm not picking on you it's just your post was a trigger really.

The weekend show's don't represent the weekday output, which stayed the same really. He moved to breakfast but they frequently said they had improved listeners, now I cant find evidence for that because the general public don't get detailed JNLR's like a station would. But he would not have been solely in charge of programming decisions, any changes to the schedule would need to be approved by people above him. He will obviously take responsibility but not all of it. If phantom had 45,000 potential listeners now the chances are Communicorp would have done the same thing.

Well you're right in that it's somewhat off topic, however I was disturbed by the thought that in the face of incompetence by the other hosts, Keith might be perceived as a competent professional whose career is in jeopardy.

He isn't. He's a talentless Muppet who has put other people's careers in jeopardy with his incompetence.

This won't be the first time these presenters have sat in the studio doing this programme. They will have rehearsed and planned it out beforehand. So it's not a coincidence that it's crap and unprofessional. All the previous shows he was involved with had similar problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

I like Jennifer so I tolerate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

robtri wrote: »
    he makes the "Plank" Kenny look good.

When it comes to radio broadcasting, Pay Kenny is pretty good at it so he looks good compared to everyone in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

It may be just me,but I thought the Republic of Telly was tripe,and the Republic of radio is no different...This is national radio for gods sake...Ballymagash is alive and well.

Advertisement