Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

In fairness the ESB are out all over the place and up against terrible conditions I think they are doing all they reasonably can!

I haven't seen a single ESB crew in my area, sure they may be out there and it may be tough conditions, but I haven't seen them anywhere near my area.

Maybe I'm annoyed that they've restored the power to streets that I can see from my house, but not mine, maybe I'm annoyed because a work colleague was gloating that their power was back with thanks to his neighbor who is a local councillor and I'm looking at another 24 hours without power.

testicle wrote: »
    Don't be stupid...

Didn't we used to have a rule around here of attacking the post and not the poster?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

source wrote: »
    Didn't we used to have a rule in here of attacking the post and not the poster?

Your posts are stupid so.

893bet wrote: »
    Your posts are stupid so.

Mature, what is this AH?

Well done on contributing to the thread.

source wrote: »
    Mature, what is this AH?

Well done on contributing to the thread.

Ah the high horse! Good straw man argument.

Reality is you just wanted to have a whinge are disappointed no one back you up criticizing the ESB.

40,000 (according to radio) still without power (at 6.00 when i listened) and you think all the crews knocked off at 5pm. Yeah really mature and measured you are. So mature that your "gloating£ work colleague upset you.

Get a grip.

• Advertisement

Alot of power restored in east county limerick in the last hour (ESB must be working from home or something lol).

893bet wrote: »
    Ah the high horse! Good straw man argument.

Reality is you just wanted to have a whinge are disappointed no one back you up criticizing the ESB.

40,000 (according to radio) still without power (at 6.00 when i listened) and you think all the crews knocked off at 5pm. Yeah really mature and measured you are. So mature that your "gloating£ work colleague upset you.

Get a grip.

I couldn't care less if nobody backs me up, I'm annoyed and sharing my experience.

And no I want attempting to launch a straw man argument, I honestly believe there used to be a better quality of discussion on this forum than

"Your posts are stupid so"

Those types of comments belong in after hours

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

Getting conflicting message from the ESB website. My area not mentioned on the list that will be out of power over night tonight. However, on the power check map it is now saying it will be close to midnight tomorrow before power is restored.

One thing that is confusing is that most of the street lights outside are working.

You have mentioned the after-hours thing twice. I get it. You want a quality discussion in here. Your quality discussion consisted of "Bet all the ESB crews were gone home by 5pm, certainly none working up our way this afternoon".

Actually there is a thread in AH for ranting and raving where your post would fit in?

Back on topic. You can have the last word now if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Just passed a crew hard at work. Fair play to them considering what they are up against. I know that is what they get paid to do, but it doesn't make it any easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,886 ✭✭✭✭phog

I really don't get the knocking of the ESB or their crews, sure some homes/businesses are without power but it certainly not because the crews aren't working or finished work early.

These guys have probably been working non stop since the storms around Christmas, since then crews have been mobilised across the country to get power back and today I heard on a news bulletin that extra crews have come in from Northern Ireland and contractors.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Mod: Folks. I have issued warnings here on this thread. Please stop bickering, there is no need for it. Also, please do not back-seat mod. This stuff draws the whole thread off topic. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

Mr. G wrote: »
    Looks like they fixed it. Passed through the toll this evening on the Ennis side, roof was where it was meant to be. That was with a tag express lane though and not a toll booth.

Its the roof on the office building that got opened like a tin of beans. Same type of cladding (?) that got destroyed everywhere. Free toll this morning. No-one manning the manual pay hatches. Didn't pass this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

250,000 houses without power yesterday

125,000 without today

fair play to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Our power came back around 6 last night but only low power items are working. We have a TV and WiFi but still no heating, lights or fridge. It's really frustrating because it's like being teased!

Checked all fuses/trip switches and that's not the issue. Just in work so I'm going to ring ESB now because I'm worried this is unrelated to the storm.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Still no power at my parents house. We're heading out for a day of cutting down trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Still no power in mine.

The estate across the road from me has had their power restored since yesterday afternoon which is a little annoying to be looking at but no doubt the ESB crews are out and working as hard as they can.

I hope to god they get around to us today but i'm not holding out much hope. On 95fm they said they still have bigger lines to sort out today and the isolated ones wouldn't be sorted till probably tomorrow.

ergonomics wrote: »
    Our power came back around 6 last night but only low power items are working. We have a TV and WiFi but still no heating, lights or fridge. It's really frustrating because it's like being teased!

Checked all fuses/trip switches and that's not the issue. Just in work so I'm going to ring ESB now because I'm worried this is unrelated to the storm.

That doesn't sound right at all. Would be interested to hear what the story is there. You'd imagine lights should work even if voltage was a bit weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Power finally restored in Mungret at 9.30am

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Still no power at my parents house. We're heading out for a day of cutting down trees.

Stay safe doing that. Lots of trees still standing are on their last legs (well roots but saying on their last roots just sounds odd:)) after the other day. Would imagine that many of such trees are close to the ones that fell.

With winds due to pick up today, lots of loose stuff may be on the move.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That doesn't sound right at all. Would be interested to hear what the story is there. You'd imagine lights should work even if voltage was a bit weird.

+1. I'm no electrician, but have you checked the trip switches? I don't think you can get only a little power!

MarkR wrote: »
    +1. I'm no electrician, but have you checked the trip switches? I don't think you can get only a little power!

Yep, checked all the fuses and the trip switches. The only things working in the house are things that require very little power. It's like we're on a small generator or something.

Houses to our left had full power. Houses to our right didn't have any. it's like we're in the middle of two supplies or something.

Tried ringing ESB but after 10 minutes of listening to known faults I got cut off. Been trying to get a response from their Twitter last night but they keep missing my tweets for some reason.

Edit: Also around 8pm last night the Sky box keep turning on and off for about 5 minutes. Just constantly on, then off, then on, then off. I heard the phone doing something similar around 3am so it really seems like we're not getting a full supply.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

ergonomics wrote: »
    Yep, checked all the fuses and the trip switches. The only things working in the house are things that require very little power. It's like we're on a small generator or something.

Houses to our left had full power. Houses to our right didn't have any. it's like we're in the middle of two supplies or something.

Tried ringing ESB but after 10 minutes of listening to known faults I got cut off. Been trying to get a response from their Twitter last night but they keep missing my tweets for some reason.

Edit: Also around 8pm last night the Sky box keep turning on and off for about 5 minutes. Just constantly on, then off, then on, then off. I heard the phone doing something similar around 3am so it really seems like we're not getting a full supply.

The ESB are still fixing their high voltage network, so I would imagine the supply is under strain, hence why your not receiving a full supply. I would let the ESB know, but I doubt they will fix it until they have fixed the high voltage network, which will most likely fix your problems. That's my guess on your situation anyway.

The Sky box isn't getting enough power, hence why its turning on and off. I would plug it out just to be safe and so it doesn't damaged.

Yeah, I'd have as little expensive stuff as possible plugged in till you are sure supply is right again.

Even a 100w lightbulb uses less
    power than a flatscreen tv (unless tv is very new) so it shouldn't be a power problem. Although the items that are working may be on a different circuit to those that aren't.

Any chance there was a lightning strike nearby? If you know an electrician they could check your sockets.

Edit - I'm not an electrician or electrical engineer either

Lots of errors on the Powercheck map for our area now so I'm just going to tough it out! I'll be unplugging anything unnecessary when I get home to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lighthouse991

Croom is not even mentioned on a powecheck site and according to ESB twitter,nearly all of Croom got the power supply back.Yet Live95fm are advising that Red Cross will be visiting Croom to help those without power.

ESB cannot even update their website properly!I rang them today,they said they were aware that hundreds in Croom were without power,no estimate and suggested i keep checking their powercheck site.5 hours later after my call to them Croom still not on it.Joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Came across this on the dublin road on the way home, looks like they just got round to clearing the trees.
    fc4aqf.jpg
    28083sg.jpg
    Shocking as you would think being in a "strong" vehicle might save you

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Ballybunion ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Ballybunion ....

Worst photo yet! what site was that mobile on?

• Advertisement

Right, I made a comment in this thread which went down like a lead balloon, and so it should have.

It was completely out of character for me to post like that. I was a couple if days into no power or heat with a sick baby in the house. I was frustrated and annoyed, and I made an immature comment.

I'm not proud of it and in reality I think the ESB really did do as much as they could given the circumstances.

The more established posters here will know me, and my posting style, will know I'm genuine and will know that I truly am sorry for dragging the thread off on the tangent that I did.

I'm not going to ask for the post to be removed, but I would like to put it behind me and get back to enjoying the best regional forum on boards.

Advertisement