Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonic boom (another sonic game)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

played it at eurogamer expo, wasnt impressed.

perhaps its weirdest complaint/compliment is it didnt feel like a sonic game for the most part.

Most of the game is built around the new lasso system and any form of speed is now isolated to very specific *speed* levels

everything else is swapping between characters, using the lasso and mashing buttons to do a combat combo over and over.

So it's a weird one, it feels a bit like the first jak and dexter on the ps2 which could be good just to have basic game mechanics we know work (rather then ones that dont which has been the running theme of the 3d sonics) but at the same time the game is incredibly segmented to allow *multiple gameplay elements* so it also feels all very forced.

not to mention graphically it was not very good, funny teleporting characters to get them in the right position for the next cutscene and bland levels did not warm me to the game.

The only stand out improvement seems to be the design for robotnik which has both got a great look to him but also has been animated very well that gave the boss fight great visual and humour feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Bad sonic game shocker ;)

Street date on this has broken, beware spoilers (it's a sonic game come on)

On the plus side, least we didn't fall for the sonic cycle this year. Expected it to be bad, and it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭souleater3000

Hello PS2 era textures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The shadow of the departing spaceship reminded me of this:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Star Lord wrote: »
    The shadow of the departing spaceship reminded me of this:

Hah! Didn't notice that the first time. That's some low low FPS!

According to neogaf the framerate is awful, the combat is werehog x 10, and the voice acting/story is as bad as it ever was. Ho hum.

The cartoon was pretty good though, is that the same voice for egg man they've had since sonic adventure?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

No the original co for eggman died just after sonic adventure 2 I think.

This is the same guy since sonic heroes and sonic x.

He has been the best thing about the series in terms of character for a long time now and has gotten some excellent lines.

I enjoyed the animated series so far.

But I have a soft spot for bunny boiler Amy and she has had some cracking lines. Knuckles though is an odd but pretty funny change for the character

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

God that looks awful

• Advertisement

BlackandwhiteFrighteningIrukandjijellyfish.gif

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/11/11/where-are-igns-sonic-boom-rise-of-lyric-and-shattered-crystal-reviews

TLDR - Sega didn't send out any review copies of the game, so people are buying their own. Its almost as if Sega know the game is bad :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Just cancelled both preorders for the 3DS and Wii U versions. This looks like another stinker.

There's supposedly a new Sonic game in development for Xbox One (possibly PS4 too), so there's always that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Why don't they just make a side-scroller ala Rayman legends? That'd be far more enjoyable imo.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

cloud493 wrote: »
    http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/11/11/where-are-igns-sonic-boom-rise-of-lyric-and-shattered-crystal-reviews

TLDR - Sega didn't send out any review copies of the game, so people are buying their own. Its almost as if Sega know the game is bad :rolleyes:

This is almost identical to the Ubi and the Unity disaster. It's practically a review embargo in itself. At least they made a few bucks from the reviewers.

User reviews show the 3DS game is ok, Wii U one is terribad.

The sonic the hedgehog 4 episodes are relatively recent are they not. Even though their reception was lukewarm.

.ak wrote: »
    Why don't they just make a side-scroller ala Rayman legends? That'd be far more enjoyable imo.

Like Sonic 4 on PS3?
    It was still **** regardless, but thats coming from someone who is not a die hard Sonic fan, my OH loved Sonic but even still she was like "meh" about it.

What made Sonic good back in the day will never translate to modern day games. In bold for emphasis :D

It was "the big thing" in the 90s because it was bundled with the Megadrive pretty often, it had really good graphics (blast processing joke here) for the time, was REALLY fast and it was the primary platform on the system to compete with Mario for Nintendo owners, it had like 2/3 decent sequels on the Megadrive and look where we are now. Maybe 1 or 2 halfway decent releases in 2 decades.
    I don't why people are surprised at why these games are crap.

They have tried EVERYTHING to give him a new lease of life and nothing has worked.
    3D? Crap. Fighting Mechanics? Crap. Dark World? Crap. New Characters? Crap. Tamogatchi Pets? Crap (for the most part). More Music? Crap. More Dialogue? Crap. Faster running? Crap. Wearhogs? Crap.

If a die hard Sonic fan designed the best fan service Sonic game ever it would read something like. "Plays like Sonic 2, has Knuckles, but is in 3D somehow"

And the thing is by the time they got to the 3rd part of the sentence, even that project is doomed

I know many people will think I'm just popping up in this thread to stir **** or mock, but I genuinely am not. I've just been a silent observer to Sonics prolonged demise over the last 15 years. If this game is not the nail in the coffin, it's laughable the studio is still in business.

Some games did not translate well into the modern age (like Worms for example), they jumped the shark a long time ago but nostalgia prevents us from moving on and accepting they were games that were once good.

TL DR: Sonic will never have a good game ever again, the series died after Sonic and Knuckles and everything after was crap bar 1.5 releases which was more of an accident than by careful design.

Generations/rush/the advance games?

Generations/rush/the advance games?

So when I said 1.5 or 2 releases, your point is I should have said 3?

It's still not exactly a decent amount

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sonic_the_Hedgehog_video_games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The advance games were pants and are way overrated. The first Rush was sublime and Generations was pretty good.

The problem with Sonic developers is they focus too much on the speed aspect. Sonic was never about speed. Too much speed and the game is uncontrollable. sonic was always about inertia. sonic controlled poorly and couldn't move very well unless he picked up some inertia then he controlled a lot better.none of this homing attack on rails bull****. It's that simple.

• Advertisement

Eh, I never liked the rush games as much as everyone else did. The mini games in the second one are rubbish, and the two storylines are exactly the same levels, just that blaze is a little slower than sonic with a weird hover ability, and they retcon whatever story they give her in the rush games in sonic 06.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Is this where we all hate sonic and hurt my feelings :(

Sonic adventure 2 is the worse piece of **** that ruined everything , least we got shadow out of it :D

You think sonic adventure is better than mario 64, so..... :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The problem with Sonic developers is they focus too much on the speed aspect. Sonic was never about speed. Too much speed and the game is uncontrollable. sonic was always about inertia. sonic controlled poorly and couldn't move very well unless he picked up some inertia then he controlled a lot better.none of this homing attack on rails bull****. It's that simple.

This, right here.
    If there is one thing that fupping ruins modern Sonic games is the insidious insertion of this homing attack in every modern Sonic game, as if it's as part of what we loved about the 16 bit games as running fast.
    Here's a clue Sonic Team, IT ISN'T!
    It's awful!
    It makes the gameplay judder, stop and result in almost random enemy attacks getting through resulting in loss of speed and rings.
    There are so many unwieldy characters that seem to be able to negotiate terrain with grace, from the Cogs of GoW to Nathan Drake, not to mention a certain portly plumber.
    And yet they just can't seem to get it right.

Maybe they could just hand it over to Ubisoft, let the gang behind Rayman Origins and Legends take a stab at it.
    It would wind up being beautiful with enough fan service to keep the old codgers happy and with enough innovation to make the kids squeee with delight.
    Why not?
    It's not like Sonic Team appear capable of doing anything else with the franchise aside from drive it into the ground.
    At this point the games are fast becoming akin to Army Men games, pure bargain bin fodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    This, right here.
    If there is one thing that fupping ruins modern Sonic games is the insidious insertion of this homing attack in every modern Sonic game, as if it's as part of what we loved about the 16 bit games as running fast.
    Here's a clue Sonic Team, IT ISN'T!
    It's awful!
    It makes the gameplay judder, stop and result in almost random enemy attacks getting through resulting in loss of speed and rings.
    There are so many unwieldy characters that seem to be able to negotiate terrain with grace, from the Cogs of GoW to Nathan Drake, not to mention a certain portly plumber.
    And yet they just can't seem to get it right.

Maybe they could just hand it over to Ubisoft, let the gang behind Rayman Origins and Legends take a stab at it.
    It would wind up being beautiful with enough fan service to keep the old codgers happy and with enough innovation to make the kids squeee with delight.
    Why not?
    It's not like Sonic Team appear capable of doing anything else with the franchise aside from drive it into the ground.
    At this point the games are fast becoming akin to Army Men games, pure bargain bin fodder.

You need Spin Dash to break this wall. Unlock for $1.99?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, the Ubiart driven titles have at least introduced something new and impressive into platformers, and I think they'd make an excellent stab at it.
    But then my dogs randomly smashing the keyboard of a dev kit making a Sonic game would probably make a better stab at a Sonic game than Sonic Team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

this is not made by sonic team though :confused:

Its somewhat interesting to note (at least according to neogaf) Nintendo heavily supervised the development of bayonetta 2, hence why that game has turned out so well, meanwhile the team for this was basically left to their own devices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Its somewhat interesting to note (at least according to neogaf) Nintendo heavily supervised the development of bayonetta 2, hence why that game has turned out so well, meanwhile the team for this was basically left to their own devices.

It's also worth noting that Bayonetta 1 was a masterpiece from an incredibly talented development studio, and a sequel with a broadly similar team was unlikely to be anything other than excellent.

Sonic, meanwhile, has flopped his way through three or four console generations while barely featuring in a game worth anything more than mild praise and several worthy of outright disdain.

In short, far above Nintendo's involvement / lack thereof, might I suggest 'Bayonetta = Good, Sonic = Bad'?

• Advertisement

Well I'd be perfectly receptive to a new, good sonic game. I don't know how they'd do it, but I'd play it.

Advertisement