Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonic boom (another sonic game)

Options
  • 06-02-2014 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

It would appear that the third game to be produced as part of Nintendo’s worldwide partnership with SEGA has emerged.

This will be a tie-in with their computer generated animated series of the same name, described by the publisher as a “character driven comedy.”

It will see the central characters of the series (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy) once again undergo a significant redesign, with the accompanying game being exclusive to Wii U and 3DS. Thankfully, we can catch our first glimpse of it in action below, revealing that all four characters will be playable whilst putting their own individual set of skills to use.

It’s a mix of traditional platforming elements with levels geared around Sonic and pals speeding through environments. The most surprising thing? It is not being developed by Sonic Team, instead being handled externally by Big Red Button Entertainment.

Oh sega. Just let sonic die. Its embarrassing. There hasn't been a really really good sonic game since the first rush game. Generations and colours aren't bad, but still.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Let him go, Sega.

He's earned his rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yay some 3rd party support for the wii-u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Lets get this straight sega , you make 3 of my favourite 16 bit games in my youth and then you take my beloved gaming icon and shove medicore down my throat with heroes, 06, shadow the hedgehog, black knight, chaos rings and just when I though you turned a new corner with colours and generations which I enjoyed immensely and instead of improving a forumla people for once atleast enjoyed you decide to turn sonic into a copy of mario galaxy albeit a very poor game and now , Now you ship the game to sanrazu studio and bigredbutton and have now sonic blatant copying to me to the ratchet and clank games which i dont even really like

YOU DUN ****ED UP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,933 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nintendo and sega, give us shenmue 3 instead.

The new art is really bad on the characters. Dude bro knuckles, Amy has lost her goofy stalker charms and sonics ****ing scarf. They also have a bang of dream works off them, the promotional material has them doing the obnoxious dreamworks eyes.

Then to add insult to injury the use dubstep, the music of the Neanderthals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

knuckles was always fairly dude bro to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Oh good. A dramatic orchestral theme. Sure why use the iconic Sonic music? I guess it's a bit more contemporary.

Oh, and Skrillex.

Feck off Sonic and friends. All your legs are weirdly long now and you're going to give me nightmares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

RasTa wrote: »
    Yay some 3rd party support for the wii-u

This guy likes his bright sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I might be the only one to look at this and go. *huh* I can dig it. The series has been experimenting with different gameplay for how many titles now? I can give someone new the chance to do something with it and honestly it's nowhere near as awful as giving him a gun or a sword or such nonsense we've already endured.

to be fair I like the new Eggman design they've brought back a bit of the teddy roosevelt inspiration and thrown in a circus master flair to it.

Tails is pretty much the same with some clothing added which frankly is the third or fourth time he's been given goggles etc and every time it gets the thumbs up but sega has never stuck with it.

Sonic, meh, scarf doesnt bother me, they've trimmed his spikes a bit and in fairness with the longer legs his head doesnt look so massively oversized now.

Amy...Amy I need to wait and see how they've written her, she was at one point the surprise character that I really liked, she actually had some genuinely funny lines in Sonic Battle and as Retro put it, her crazy stalker side had a charm. If they've cut that then :( but they might have given it some bite instead, going from hopeless stalker to hormone predator might be interesting.

Knuckles.

Actually Knuckles needed to be redone, his character has been a mess since sonic adventure (noble guardian clashing with the idiot who keeps getting tricked) If they've rebuilt him from the ground up then *yay* lets see if it goes anywhere interesting.

In fact this really comes down to the same question asked when they announced sonic 06.

IS THIS A FULL REBOOT?

Zeus knows the sonic franchise genuinely needs someone to press a reset button and throw out all the trash over the years and start fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I might be the only one to look at this and go. *huh* I can dig it. The series has been experimenting with different gameplay for how many titles now? I can give someone new the chance to do something with it and honestly it's nowhere near as awful as giving him a gun or a sword or such nonsense we've already endured.

to be fair I like the new Eggman design they've brought back a bit of the teddy roosevelt inspiration and thrown in a circus master flair to it.

Tails is pretty much the same with some clothing added which frankly is the third or fourth time he's been given goggles etc and every time it gets the thumbs up but sega has never stuck with it.

Sonic, meh, scarf doesnt bother me, they've trimmed his spikes a bit and in fairness with the longer legs his head doesnt look so massively oversized now.

Amy...Amy I need to wait and see how they've written her, she was at one point the surprise character that I really liked, she actually had some genuinely funny lines in Sonic Battle and as Retro put it, her crazy stalker side had a charm. If they've cut that then :( but they might have given it some bite instead, going from hopeless stalker to hormone predator might be interesting.

Knuckles.

Actually Knuckles needed to be redone, his character has been a mess since sonic adventure (noble guardian clashing with the idiot who keeps getting tricked) If they've rebuilt him from the ground up then *yay* lets see if it goes anywhere interesting.

In fact this really comes down to the same question asked when they announced sonic 06.

IS THIS A FULL REBOOT?

Zeus knows the sonic franchise genuinely needs someone to press a reset button and throw out all the trash over the years and start fresh.

From a gameplay perspective how will they complement and contrast each other?

We all know Sonic, super speed and loop-the-loops.

Knuckles looks like a brawler strongman in this game. Lifting and moving obstacles, beating down heavily armoured enemies.

Tails is the small nimble one, maybe something like Ellie from The Last of Us, getting to otherwise inaccessible areas to open paths and provide support in fights.

Amy is, um... The one who does the thing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,933 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really hope they don't do that 'Three Vikings' bull**** in this game. It really didn't work in Sonic Heroes and unless you are making a deliberate puzzle game like three vikings it just slows the game down with tedious non-puzzles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Amy doesn't have a thing though. Like she has the hammer, but in sonic heroes she was the speed character, in adventure her levels consist of her running away from the robot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Knuckles looks like he's having an allergic reaction to something.

Is it wrong, though, that I'm just grateful there's no sign of Big the stupid fishing cat?

Thought this was a thread for a move in Street Fighter

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭souleater3000

At first I didn't know what to think of the redesigns of Sonic and Knuckles. Now I love every one of them. It seems very fitting to me. Im hyped for the game and the TV show. Its said to be its own side thing for the west not a reboot for the franchise or becoming main canon. So Sonic Team in Japan will be making their own games while the rest of us gets Boom (And more assuming this all goes well).

Tails now seems like a mechanic.
    Sonic looks fine too, I like the scarf, no problem with the blue arms and as said before his head dos'nt look oversized now
    Knuckles needed something done for a little while, his head always looked weird in the 3D game models or some of them anyway.
    Amy seems fine too, looks a little older and there wont be anymore awkward panty shots in the games now.
    Eggman is looking badass.

Based on the game trailer, the models look a little bit weird (Like sonic's eyes) but then again this is a new sonic and we arnt use to seeing him looking this way yet.

Hope its a success and a whole new side series where more characters, old and new are brought in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fantastic, the game has opted to add a crazy high-pitched badger character to the franchise's already loveable band of mascots.

On a completely unrelated note, have you ever noticed that it's quite hard to emphasise sarcasm via text alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Fantastic, the game has opted to add a crazy high-pitched badger character to the franchise's already loveable band of mascots.

On a completely unrelated note, have you ever noticed that it's quite hard to emphasise sarcasm via text alone?

How wild and wacky! Ah, whatever, they've been aiming for a young demographic for some time now. Let's not beat that dead horse (is that a Sonic friend?).

Yer one's expression in that still, though. Wonder if it betrays her true feelings. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the voice of sticks is the woman who sang "give it to me baby" in pretty fly for a white guy

I don't know how this makes me feel

I see stage 2 of the Sonic cycle is now in effect. Stage one, fans get excited, Sega say they are bringing Sonic back to it's roots. Stage 2 new characters announced.

We all know how it ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

My thoughts on Sonic over the last 2 decades are this (not counting 1,2, and Knuckles cause those were good)

Bought a Gamecube: "Oh whats this a Sonic game where you kind of skate around the gaf and take car of tamagotchi style blobs…. ok….. maybe the…. gameplay"….. CRAP

Trying to pick up a game for my missus to play on the Wii: "Oh here's a cheap 2nd hand Sonic game, she liked Sonia when she was young, maybe this one will rekindle her interest, look he's like 1/2 werewolf/hog now"…… WORST GAME EITHER OF US HAVE PLAYED IN 10 YEARS

Trying to go back to 2D: "Oh a PROPER Sonic 4 on the PS3 shop, Let's see if it's good…. well it looks pretty on the LED Tv, definitely bright…. so let's run to the right….. now what? run…. jump… run…. 2 levels…. 3rd Level maybe?….. BORED AS FU€K

• Advertisement

Cormac... wrote: »
    she liked Sonia when she was young

Damn I thought I was the only one!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Damn I thought I was the only one!

Whats funny is that was a typo (instead of Sonic) but funny thing is her name is actually Sonia :pac:

Them coincidences :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

So lots of info out today on Sonic Boom: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/06/02/explanation-behind-sonics-new-look

including a good video breaking down the game design on both versions:

there was a lot of footage but turns out they didnt have permission to show it so they pulled it down :(

luckily I saw it. Sonic's model looks really weird in movement which can be sort of seen in some screens, his head looks like it doesnt connect to his neck. So sonic cycle continues

Overall it sounds like they are taken a cue from sonic adventure with different level types may have broken things up a lot which could work but also just as much make the game feel very unfocused and just messy. Overall I am not excited (dont own a wii u and I know the sonic cycle too well) but nothing so far has been headslammingly stupid as some previous titles (shadow & gun, everything about sonic 06)

This looks absolutely abysmal to be frank. I'm expecting a dud.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

cloud493 wrote: »
    This looks absolutely abysmal to be frank. I'm expecting a dud.

Don't you have to wait for the abysmal reviews before saying that?
    The Sonic Cycle demands it!
    But, you're probably right, it's going to be more like Shadow than Sonic.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Don't you have to wait for the abysmal reviews before saying that?
    The Sonic Cycle demands it!
    But, you're probably right, it's going to be more like Shadow than Sonic.

the cycle will end one day................................................................................................................................................AND.........I.......WILL...........................BE.....WAITING

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

the cycle will end one day................................................................................................................................................AND.........I.......WILL...........................BE.....WAITING

Yeah, they'll give up on making sonic games! ;)

Or at least quit making 3d ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

NSFW!!

• Advertisement

Next Sonic game will be better ...........I hope

Advertisement