Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Leahy show axed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Red Fred

What has JC said?

He said that himself and Will found out that The More Music Drive was being axed through an RTE Press Release.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭jimmy2flutes

Stations change, if you can't adapt, you deserve to be sacked!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Adapting is all well and good if it's what your listeners want, but a huge number of people don't want that change. It's a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

jimmytwoflutes banned for abusing moderator and being uncivil as per forum charter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Stations don't change, audiences change. No one "deserves" to be sacked when the reason is nothing to do with their ability or performance. The independent stations are getting the younger audiences over and they are all been commercially force fed a load of diarrhea as provided by the major labels. 2FM needs to grow a brain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I've never been a regular listener of 2fm but getting rid of the few half competent presenters they have and replacing them with the likes of Nicky Byrne is frankly unbelievable. That coupled with the continued presence of Tubridy in the peak mid morning slot can only point to attempted sabotage of the station from Dan Healy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Im 23 female been listening to JC since l was 17....every sunday (when l was home) l would always tune in because l enjoyed the show!! not every person my age are into nicki mindge or little mix....cant believe hes gone its not fair :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

John Clarke said earlier that last summer when Bruce Springsteen was playing 5 sold out gigs in Ireland, he and Will were told they weren't allowed to play any Bruce as it wasn't the type of music they were supposed to now be playing on the show. That doesn't even make any sense. Surely if music is popular or doesn't matter what era, genre or performer it comes from. Stupid rule.

Meangadh wrote: »
    John Clarke said earlier that last summer when Bruce Springsteen was playing 5 sold out gigs in Ireland, he and Will were told they weren't allowed to play any Bruce as it wasn't the type of music they were supposed to now be playing on the show. That doesn't even make any sense. Surely if music is popular or doesn't matter what era, genre or performer it comes from. Stupid rule.

Didnt know that, crazy tho will played him thursday :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Eoin 19

In an ideal world, this would be the ideal 2fm schedule for me... great radio personalities and packed with on the ball music (played more regularly in every show!)

MONDAY - FRIDAY

7am - 9am: Jennifer Maguire, Bernard O'Shea & Keith Walsh
    9am - 12pm: Ray D'Arcy with Mairead Farrell & Will Hanifan
    12pm - 2pm: Keith Cunningham (KC)
    2pm - 4.30pm: Louise Duffy
    4.30pm - 7pm: Will Leahy with JJ Hartigan
    7pm - 8.30pm: Second Captains with Eoin McDevitt, Ken Early, Mark Horgan, Simon Hick and Ciaran Murphy
    8.30pm - 10.30pm: Brian Maher & Dara Quilty
    10.30pm - 1am: Chris Greene & Ciara King

SATURDAY:

7am - 10am: Michaela Hayes
    10am - 12pm: Larry Gogan
    12pm - 2pm: Colm O'Sullivan
    2pm - 5pm: Ruth Scott & Paddy McKenna
    5pm - 7pm: Nessa Harney
    7pm - 1am: Jenny Greene

SUNDAY:

7pm - 9pm: Daithi O'Daibhin
    9pm - 1am: Mark McCabe

• Advertisement

Eoin 19 wrote: »
    In an ideal world, this would be the ideal 2fm schedule for me... great radio personalities and packed with on the ball music (played more regularly in every show!)

MONDAY - FRIDAY

7am - 9am: Jennifer Maguire, Bernard O'Shea & Keith Walsh
    9am - 12pm: Ray D'Arcy with Mairead Farrell & Will Hanifan
    12pm - 2pm: Keith Cunningham (KC)
    2pm - 4.30pm: Louise Duffy
    4.30pm - 7pm: Will Leahy with JJ Hartigan
    7pm - 8.30pm: Second Captains with Eoin McDevitt, Ken Early, Mark Horgan, Simon Hick and Ciaran Murphy
    8.30pm - 10.30pm: Brian Maher & Dara Quilty
    10.30pm - 1am: Chris Greene & Ciara King

SATURDAY:

7pm - 1am: Jenny Greene

SUNDAY:

7pm - 9pm: Daithi O'Daibhin
    9pm - 1am: Mark McCabe

god no :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

What were the JNLR figures for Will Leahy. I can't find the figures for his show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Continuing the PD of 2fm for a week.... what a great competition idea!

MONDAY - FRIDAY

7am - 10am: Ian Dempsey & Rosenstock
    9am - 12pm: Andy Preston
    12pm -3pm : Ray Foley
    3pm - 5pm : Keith Cunningham
    5 - 7pm : Will Leahy
    7pm - 9pm: Barry Dunne
    9pm-12pm : Greg Gaughran

I'm sticking Jason Maine on the overnights, weeknights.

Saturday

7am-11am : Matt Dempsey
    11am-1pm : Brian McColl
    1pm - 3pm : Larry Gogan
    3pm - 6pm: Phil Cawley
    6pm - 9pm : Jenny Greene
    9pm-1am: Al Gibbs

Saturday and Sunday Overnights are up for grabs, perhaps some token good looking chick that would look great on posters for the station.

Sunday

7am - 9am Phil Cawley
    9am-11am Larry Gogan
    11am -2pm John Clarke (if its not broke, dont try and fix it)
    2pm-6pm Liam Coburn
    6pm-9pm Tony Fentoni (and he is allowed play the Boys of Summer at least once per show, even during winter, haters)
    9-12pm Colm Hayes (with no links longer than 30 seconds)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

It's a bit dodgy for me to get involved here as I'm just a listener, BUT, Tony Fenton just at the weekend? From the apparent approach of your schedule, why not get rid of him completely? Personally I rate him as one of the best in the business.

The whole thing seems to be a crazy ageist thing with 2fm trying to reach a younger audience? Is that not the case? If it is, then they are making a right balls up of it. If you wanna do it, do it right FFS.

I am well out of the age category that 2fm want to court, but whatever wavelength Will Leahy, John Clarke, Tony Fenton and the legend that is Larry Gogan broadcast on, I for one will be tuning in.

Kettleson wrote: »
    It's a bit dodgy for me to get involved here as I'm just a listener, BUT, Tony Fenton just at the weekend? From the apparent approach of your schedule, why not get rid of him completely? Personally I rate him as one of the best in the business.

The whole thing seems to be a crazy ageist thing with 2fm trying to reach a younger audience? Is that not the case? If it is, then they are making a right balls up of it. If you wanna do it, do it right FFS.

I am well out of the age category that 2fm want to court, but whatever wavelength Will Leahy, John Clarke, Tony Fenton and the legend that is Larry Gogan broadcast on, I for one will be tuning in.

I like tony fenton but he always, always plays the same music...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭radiofreak

Just tuned in to hear what is on instead of The School Disco. Looks like its going to be non stop recent chart hits. sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

At the start of the show today paddy McKenna said he was just on for the week, "pity it's not under different circumstances".
    Was Colm supposed to start today? Have 2fm stalled their decision for a week?
    Maybe I'm reading too much into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭radiofreak

Colm will be on in 4 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

It was announced by paddy that Colm's show starts next week

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

So I went off on the hunt for a new station today ..... I don't want all the heavy talk on today fm and I'm not into the forced fun on the Dublin stations so I thought I'd give Garreth O'Callaghan a whirl on 4FM - Good God, it didn't do anything to lift the mood at all - the music was soooo depressing !!! As if I wasn't feeling bad enough !!!! I felt like there was a death in the car on the way home today !!!

I felt sorry for poor aul Paddy today - He's not the worst of them. I'm sure it can't be easy for those that are left ... I'm sure a lot of them are walking around keeping the head down hoping they're not next for "an exciting new slot" !!!!

I did listen back to John Clarke today - he didn't hold back did he ?? Fair play to him - it's good to hear at least one of the presenters not spouting out the usual company line !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I really missed Will Leahy this evening. Paddy Mc Kenna had nothing to offer only the best in chart music with Rem thrown in.
    No joke of the day
    No celebrity birthdays and birthday requests.
    No topics of the Day,
    No pack of 3, the last one ended before last Christmas and he wasn't able to start a new one because he knew he was gone only he wasn't allowed to tell us the listeners until last Wednesday.
    No Special Song.
    No regular topics like on Mondays what did you learn last weekend. Happy Tuesdays, Wednesday Whinge, and Friday Treats and after Bank Holidays what celebrities did you meet.
    No entertainment tonight covering gigs and tv shows.
    No school disco with a quiz thrown in.
    I tuned into my local radio station Limerick Live95fm were djs can mix in 70s and 80s along with some of today's hits. At least I got to hear a couple of songs that haven't heard in a long time.

It seems the facebook page/petition seems to have disappeared - anyone know what happened there .... ??

It seems the facebook page/petition seems to have disappeared - anyone know what happened there .... ??

fuk it, it is :eek: wonder what happened? Did ye see the message the man himself wrote, asking people to stop being abusive and sending in texts etc to other presenters demanding to get him back on? It sounds like it all went a bit ott.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Yeah Will said don't be abusing staff members that he was still going to work for rte. it seemed to be calming but some warriors seem to think they fight was still on.
    It was a nice gesture to show support for Will but as said I think things got very OTT

Does anyone have a link to a podcast of a few shows? cant find them on the 2fm website

Does anyone have a link to a podcast of a few shows? cant find them on the 2fm website

You can listen back to shows on the RTE Radio Player App ... I think they only go back a week or so though ... There doesn't seem to be many pod casts of Will's show and the ones that are there aren't recent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Just thought you'd like to know that 2fm and Dan Healy are so worried about this " little" petition page that they had it reported and taken down off Facebook. So much for freedom of speech, but fear not because there's another page up and running already under the same name "keep will leahy on drive time".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Just thought you'd like to know that 2fm and Dan Healy are so worried about this " little" petition page that they had it reported and taken down off Facebook. So much for freedom of speech, but fear not because there's another page up and running already under the same name "keep will leahy on drive time".
    How do you know it was Dan Healy?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Will Leahy's own post on his Facebook page about the 'Save Will' campaign is worth a read.

https://www.facebook.com/willleahyon2fm/posts/10152250135602008?stream_ref=10
    have never used this phrase before, but if possible could you share this around as I would like it to reach as wide as possible an audience. I would have said it all on air, but it's not possible at the moment.

Last week a very kind listener set up an online petition to request RTE to leave the More Music Drive where it is. To be honest, I thought nothing about it. There are petitions for everything online from "Give Fungi the Freedom of Dingle" (great idea by the way) to "Have the US President agree the moon is made of cheese". Most of these get a few likes and that is the end of it.

The MMD campaign now has over 15k likes in 5 days - the irony is not lost on me that the campaign now has more likes than the show's official page.

Today it was the subject of an article on the Irish Independent's website ( see below). Now I know it is no longer a joke. My mother reads the Indo.

The problem is that many of those who are posting online are being a bit mean. Nasty things are being posted about friends and colleagues of mine in 2FM who are simply trying to do a day's work. Programmes are being flooded with texts which is really interfering in the day to day running of the station. Obviously it is flattering to me but I have nothing but sympathy for the poor misfortunes in the RTE Social Media department who must be afraid to turn on their phones.

So please remember - I am not dead - I have not been kidnapped by the Taliban. I still work for 2FM, and will be starting a new show in a month at the weekends. By all means "like" whatever Facebook petition you like ( the moon isn't made of cheese. Fungi told me) but I would ask that you please desist from any abuse towards the great team that work on the floor in 2FM ,both on air and off air.

Paddy McKenna is on air on 2FM all this week at 4.30 p.m. and please only text in positive vibes. He is a lovely man.

• Advertisement

Was it really Dan Healy or is that just you're suspicions ?? While I wouldn't be surprised if it was Dan Healy, I find it bazar that facebook won't remove a NECKnomination page after 2 deaths but they will remove a page petitioning the national broadcaster .... But I'm not saying that's not what happened.

My suspicions are that perhaps Will Leahy contacted the group and requested that the page be removed - Maybe he was getting pressure from the boss but as he said in his FB post, he still has to work there !!

Advertisement