Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Leahy show axed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭dr Golden

Tbh i don't understand why Will Leahy was so upset ! He still has a full-time day job as well as weekend radio job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

dr Golden wrote: »
    Tbh i don't understand why Will Leahy was so upset ! He still has a full-time day job as well as weekend radio job.

maybe cause he really loved the job and felt it wasn't time to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Doodah7

flutered wrote: »
    leahy is still a practicing solicitor, he handles the jucey limerick co. council portifolio, he also works, or did as a dj for live95fm in limerick, no fear of our will.

What's this got to do with anything??:confused:

At least he isn't going to have to depend on the dole to feed himself and his family like marty Whelan in the early 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I'll never listen to 2fm from next week on bloody disgrace no need for it. One thing they done right was axing Larry gogan from weekdays, his music choice was awful one minute 70s music then new music. Bring back will Leahy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Rock Solid

I was listening to him yesterday and he did sound upset, and I can understand why, he loved the show and put his all into it, people should text John Clarke tomorrow during his show as he was the producer for Will, maybe that will have some positive result in Rte reversing the situation. I wont be listening to Colm Hayes on Monday just dont like the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Had to laugh when Will said someone in studio "came down for the funeral".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Was it not true then when he said he knew it was coming for a while, or was it sprung upon him?

Was it not true then when he said he knew it was coming for a while, or was it sprung upon him?

I heard about it, the week before last, so ld say hes defo knew 2-3 weeks before hand...

Anyone see the fb page "keep will leahy on drivetime" they posted this...

"Right guys this page is definitely causing serious shock waves at 2fm...and I can say that a return might not be completely out of the question...keep up the pressure

‪#‎bringbackwill‬"

A bit of hope....

Yep saw that post.
    As someone else posted further down (I've been reading and liking a lot of comments!) though, Will is a proud man and I doubt he'd come back to weekday just now because of a petition etc. I will definitely be trying to catch a listen at the weekends but doesn't really suit me to listen to the radio then - I'll have to catch a podcast! I'm really disappointed and couldn't believe it when he announced it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Ah that's terrible. Only found out now through this thread. Will was literally the only thing I would have the radio on for, bar the news...

Yep saw that post.
    As someone else posted further down (I've been reading and liking a lot of comments!) though, Will is a proud man and I doubt he'd come back to weekday just now because of a petition etc. I will definitely be trying to catch a listen at the weekends but doesn't really suit me to listen to the radio then - I'll have to catch a podcast! I'm really disappointed and couldn't believe it when he announced it.

Thats true bout him being a proud man, but l think he has been overwhelmed by the amount of support and upset it has caused...there might be that slight chance, but if something were to happen it prob wouldn't for a good while

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Yep saw that post.

He mentioned the petition yesterday and basically said there was no need for it

He mentioned the petition yesterday and basically said there was no need for it

Yes I know that. I mean the whole shebang - campaign on FB etc, boycott 2fm. I don't think it matters as he won't be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Ret can go shove it to be honest

I loved that show from the pack of three to the special request song it was just the right amount of positive for the way home

Rte and there Dublin cronies can go suck on a lemon as far as I'm concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The time for a campaign was a few weeks ago when rumours of Will Leahy's demotion were doing the rounds. 2FM won't bring him back to weekdays now.

I don't think Will Leahy's show ever received much promotion outside of 2FM. Hector, Tubs and Colm Hayes all had television advertising campaigns but I never noticed any serious marketing of his show. Perhaps a stronger promotion of his show would have gained more listeners - those who listened to him seemed to like it a lot.

Skid X wrote: »
    The time for a campaign was a few weeks ago when rumours of Will Leahy's demotion were doing the rounds. 2FM won't bring him back to weekdays now.

I don't think Will Leahy's show ever received much promotion outside of 2FM. Hector, Tubs and Colm Hayes all had television advertising campaigns but I never noticed any serious marketing of his show. Perhaps a stronger promotion of his show would have gained more listeners - those who listened to him seemed to like it a lot.

I hadn't heard anything about such a demotion until this week. I knew there was a bit of a shake up but I didn't dream that they would do this. It's not as if they're even putting in a DIFFERENT programme - it sounds like Mr. Hayes' show is of a similar calibre (Well in their dreams, he doesn't have a patch on Will) and it all goes to show that it is not simply a layout of a show that reels listeners in, it's because of the DJ and I loved Will's banter and way of presenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,034 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Leahy is a full time solicitor and a part time radio show host, who essentially works remotely.

Its unlikely he had the time to do all the off air stuff that hosts usually do, like show prep etc.

I'd say RTE decided that the reshuffle was the time to 'regularize' the situation by replacing him with a Dublin based host who would be working a full day.

I liked Leahy's show, I thought it ran well and was a alternative to all the talk at that time of the day.

I don't like Hayse however so I will not be listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

So what if he had another job?
    He still had a great radio show, a lot better than some 'full time' djs.
    Fair play to him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Addle wrote: »
    So what if he had another job?

It does seriously limit where he can be moved to in the schedule - he's not available before 4pm and he has to use the Limerick studio which requires more staff on-hand to operate than if he was in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

MYOB wrote: »
    It does seriously limit where he can be moved to in the schedule - he's not available before 4pm and he has to use the Limerick studio which requires more staff on-hand to operate than if he was in Dublin.

So just don't move him!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,034 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Addle wrote: »
    So just don't move him!
    It was probably a money saving exercise for RTE, and god knows they are always being bashed for not taking steps to save money.

The show was costing more that it should by virtue of having a part timer, in a prime slot, who was essentially working from home.

If he was pulling in a huge audience then he may have had some bargaining power, but apparently he was not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I really wasn't aware of his popularity at all until this thread tbh. I used to listen to the Saturday show about 10 years ago and enjoyed it, but never once heard the afternoon show.

Seems to be a decision higher ups in 2FM will come to regret anyway, if they don't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 pleb41

Whats with everyone having such a bee in their bonnet about Dublin? Will never mentioned Dublin or anything. Some guy here was even putting Dublin in quotation marks as if it was some abstract concept. It only has 1.5 million people. I liked Will's show but at the end of the day he had the least listener ship apart from Larry G. I don't think Colm Hayes will appeal to under 35's but at a drive time show he might cash in on people coming home from work in their 30's, 40's and 50's. He was ever going to attract young people listening at college at 1pm

I have known for some time that will was going but i really thought a youth presenter would get the gig.

dr Golden wrote: »
    I have known for some time that will was going but i really thought a youth presenter would get the gig.

how did you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

John Clarke's not holding back this morning..

bbability wrote: »
    John Clarke's not holding back this morning..

What has JC said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

You know I used to listen to Will Leahy and I just fell out with the show because the music wasn't what I would associate with Will or his show and John has basically said that they weren't allowed to choose the music for nearly two years now. It's starting to make sense now.. I hope and pray they pack up and move to other stations.

• Advertisement

Have you not heard of this 'rule' that they can't play music before 1990? They're trying to target the under 35s age group, specifically females. I would have though Will's show was doing alright in that regard...
    http://radionation.ie/2013/07/2fm-boss-djs-safe-but-music-will-change/

It seems he doesn't know his arse from his elbow as all these reports floating about from last July are complete opposites to what has actually happened.

Advertisement