Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rain rain rain

Options
  • 04-02-2014 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

anyone else trying to get out for a cast ? im checking heights for rivers in cork and kerry everything flooded i have a load of new gear im bursting to try out , another few days and the goldfish wont be safe :D

after waiting a few months its so frustrating but what can ya do :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Well I seen the dodder other day returning to the height it once was which was great fishing but passed over it today and well it ain't pretty no more :(
    I can imagine me spot I have on another river ( won't tell :D ) is in the farmers fields by now. Pity.
    At this rate the pike will turn huge and start eating people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Planned to goto lough derg last weekend an it got cancelled 😭 planning on heading to Kildareon tThurs for a few pike, just hope that doesn't get cancelled too! Feeling a serious need to use a rod about now too!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

All I seem to be doing is buying gear and not going fishing ha another 30e on flies and spinners earlier if I don't get out soon I'll also be broke :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

The barrow is like the Mississippi at the moment...and I've got two days off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I've been counting down the days till fly fishing season starts again and am really looking forward to it this year. However, all this rain looks like it will be a long wait till I get any river fishing done. Every river has burst their banks and the surrounding areas are flooded. It will take forever for the waters to recede. My favourite river looks like the pacific ocean!! FFS!!

Does the water in lakes and loughs get as dirty as do rivers from incessant rain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I suppose our saving grace is that we haven't had a cold winter so water temps must be up slightly on normal. Could mean the trout will be on the take sooner than normal, provided the floods subside by the time the season starts.

looking at the weather forum tho, its more rain to come :(

checking the levels all day on the blackwater in cork its falling steadily and could be in fishable order tmw morning up high on the river (high spinning in reality ) but all depends if we get more rain tonight which is forecast unfortunately :(

The way it's going we'll be catching trout in corn fields.
    Anyone see the Shannon?
    It's proper burst and into farmlands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Rivers everywhere have flooded the nearby fields. Most here are inaccessible and actually quite dangerous to approach at the moment. I think the prudent action is just to wait as they are more or less unfishable anyway.

I've often been told that flooded rivers are best conditions for big pike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Seen on fisheries website the Laune is now a mile wide!!!!!!

Seen on fisheries website the Laune is now a mile wide!!!!!!

only a slight exaggeration id imagine :P:P

popsy09 wrote: »
    only a slight exaggeration id imagine :P:P

Ya, was over there last week and it was up over bridge so I'd hate to see it now, cashen burst it's banks at ferry bridge now roads impassible.

I'm going for it tmw morning :) surely with all the water there will be salmon in the upper blackwater

Be glad just to get a line in the water

I'm going for it tmw morning :) surely with all the water there will be salmon in the upper blackwater

Be glad just to get a line in the water

I wouldn't recommend it to be honest......

I wouldn't recommend it to be honest......

why not , rang the farmer earlier he said its well fishable and was dropping fast we have a slab under bridge that we gauge off and the height he told me i have taken fish before and even higher

i have a small window before bad weather again tmw lunch time so im off:D:D:D

why not , rang the farmer earlier he said its well fishable and was dropping fast we have a slab under bridge that we gauge off and the height he told me i have taken fish before and even higher

i have a small window before bad weather again tmw lunch time so im off:D:D:D

Far too coloured, too fast, won't hold in pools.....

Not even that but it's nice now tomoro is supposed to horrific

Just back river was grand ,high but fishable not coloured either

Further I went down river worse it got ,where the tributary came in below that was unfishable

Caught nothin mind you ha

Just back river was grand ,high but fishable not coloured either

Further I went down river worse it got ,where the tributary came in below that was unfishable

Caught nothin mind you ha

Was on radio there that black water one of rivers tipped for major flooding over coming week.

• Advertisement

Was on radio there that black water one of rivers tipped for major flooding over coming week.

exactly why i went out when i could , will be awile before i cast a line again

exactly why i went out when i could , will be awile before i cast a line again

Thankfully I have 3 spots in mind for feb15th for brownies that will fish well regardless.:-)

Thankfully I have 3 spots in mind for feb15th for brownies that will fish well regardless.:-)

i totally lost interest in trout fishing but i know a spin to kerry on the lakes would always get trout no matter what the weather or i had a few 2/3lb trout fishing the suir when it was high few years back

i totally lost interest in trout fishing but i know a spin to kerry on the lakes would always get trout no matter what the weather or i had a few 2/3lb trout fishing the suir when it was high few years back

3 pound wild brownie is a super catch, fair play.

Did you ever fish the suir ? I have seen many a 5/6lb trout taken from there and I lost a nice trout I reckon 6+ while spinning in clonmel town

I fish it late on in the year for salmon now and regularly take 1-2 lb trout while spinning for salmon

Did you ever fish the suir ? I have seen many a 5/6lb trout taken from there and I lost a nice trout I reckon 6+ while spinning in clonmel town

I fish it late on in the year for salmon now and regularly take 1-2 lb trout while spinning for salmon

I've fished it for salmon and had a few decent trout from it, 6lb brownies are extremely rare in rivers....... I'm not into hunting for big fish to be honest, I'm just as happy being on a small stream dry fly fishing with a #3 weight as I am out on leane catching big browns.

I've fished it for salmon and had a few decent trout from it, 6lb brownies are extremely rare in rivers....... I'm not into hunting for big fish to be honest, I'm just as happy being on a small stream dry fly fishing with a #3 weight as I am out on leane catching big browns.

I used be the same but when I started salmon fishing proper I lost complete interest in catching trout

Most of the rivers close to me are really salmon rivers too so less travelling and easier fishing

I used be the same but when I started salmon fishing proper I lost complete interest in catching trout

Most of the rivers close to me are really salmon rivers too so less travelling and easier fishing

Ya makes more sense I guess. I do a fair bit of climbing and camping so I often end up alongside an unfished lake. I've caught a share of salmon the last few years on the lower feale but I'm more trout and sea trout now!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Are there big trout in that lake?Anyone ive ever talked to about it said the biggest you would catch are a pound.Im going to fish it definitely this season,just trying to find out some info about it.

• Advertisement

Are there big trout in that lake?Anyone ive ever talked to about it said the biggest you would catch are a pound.Im going to fish it definitely this season,just trying to find out some info about it.

Ya I've had 4/5lb trout there and there are also big ferox there if you wanted to do a bit of trolling

Advertisement