Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

E-cig use / vaping in the workplace?

  • 04-02-2014 5:31pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1 maryburnz


    Hi.

    A colleague of mine has just recently started using an electronic / vapour cigarette in work. We sit at the same desk - literally 2 feet away from each other. Since he's started using it I've noticed I get this constant dry taste in my mouth as he's using it. My colleague tends to use it for long periods, for example 30 mins + at a time.

    He was out on holidays for a few weeks and I had no issues at all - so Im pretty sure it has to do with the vapour from the e-cigarette. Im happy that he's smoking less - it's not a serious thing, but at the same time I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this side effect or had similar feedback from colleagues while using it?

    For people that use them in your workplace, do you tend to use it at your desk or in your place of work constantly? Or would you generally leave the room, use it in the same manner you would with a traditional cigarette?

    Interested to hear what the general consensus is on this, if anyone has had similar feedback?

    Thanks.


«1

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 MonstaMash


    I would leave the room & use it in the same manner as a traditional cigarette, especially after setting off the smoke detectors on the fire system in work :o :pac:

    The suits would prefer it that way as well & are actually in the process of re-writing the staff handbook to reflect this :rolleyes:


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭ DirtyBollox


    Some places make you go outside some don't. and again some treat it like a smoke and go out on a vape break. if its bothering you say something. whilst it is great that he has cut down he should be aware of how it affects others around him especially of its clouds of vapour.


  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭ Vaperus


    usually leave the room
    Gets me away from the desk
    You usually get to find out more of whats going on in the smoking area

    sometimes if working late and its quite will have a crafty vape at the desk


  • Registered Users Posts: 37,525 ✭✭✭✭ the_syco


    Tell him, as he may not be aware that anyone else is affected. He'll most likely go elsewhere for his vape.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 visual


    I dont smoke or vape at work but I have never know any one to be affected by second hand vaper. But I do know a few people who see e cigs in the same light as cigarettes


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭ grindle


    Vape off the shop floor at work, never had any issues apart from people wanting a sniff of whatever it is.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭ naughtysmurf


    In fairness, if I worked two feet away from somebody all day in an office environment, I wouldn't vape unless they were ok with it, if you think it's affecting you, then mention it to him.

    Luckily enough for me I can vape away at work, it's a small company & airy space & we are not up on top of each other


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭ Nuttzz


    We treat them the same as cigs and if you want it you need to use it outside the building


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭ tommy2bad


    Nuttzz wrote: »
    We treat them the same as cigs and if you want it you need to use it outside the building

    Whats the rational for this? Curious why you would class it as smoking when you are aware that it isn't. Do you have a policy on perfume or eating at desks as well?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭ Pique


    I use mine at the desk but I asked everyone near me if they minded. None did so happy days.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ spida


    Pique wrote: »
    None did so happy days.
    Really though, what were they going to say?

    Certainly having read this post you might consider re-asking, or just not vaping at your desk. IMHO.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭ Pique


    spida wrote: »
    Really though, what were they going to say?

    Certainly having read this post you might consider re-asking, or just not vaping at your desk. IMHO.

    Do you guys mind if I use this?
    No.
    Seriously, if it makes you sneeze or cough or annoys you, let me know.
    No it's fine, smells nice too.


    What more do I need to ask? It's not as if there's clouds floating over my desk. I don't take the piss but when it's lashing rain I don't really want to go outside and freeze.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ Orion


    tommy2bad wrote: »
    Whats the rational for this? Curious why you would class it as smoking when you are aware that it isn't. Do you have a policy on perfume or eating at desks as well?

    +1. I do take a vape break and go outside. Or vape while taking a dump :D

    But treating it as smoking is crazy. Strong perfume really affects my sinuses and the smell of people eating egg sambos or curries at their desk is very annoying. Vaping is odourless.


  • Registered Users Posts: 727 Lister1


    Vap at the desk here. I dont think the people nearby mind but perhaps I am oblivious to it. Really would hate to have to go outside as I am an ex-smoker I want to keep my distance from temptation....


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 was.deevey


    Vaping is odourless.

    While I enjoy most vape smells, I'm not under any impression that they are odorless, far from it - and there are quite a few flavors emit utterly disgusting smells that I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemies.

    Generally I go to smoking areas if its an office building, or at least outside the front door if its a restaurant or bar. Far as I'm concerned its my habit, and my problem, whatever smells get emitted good or bad are as a direct result of this habit and others should not need to be subjected to it due to a loophole in office or government policy on the matter.

    In my humble opinion of course.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Giak


    I'm vaping a tobacco flavour from Evo at the moment and a couple of colleagues told me my office smells mouldy. I stopped vaping and the mouldy smell went away... so I will vape this liquid in the jacks or outside.

    I usually smoke Liqua American blend and never get complaints, so I will be going back to that for office Xtreme stealth-pro vaping.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭ MayoSalmon


    The act of Vaping is very similar to smoking of course and hence I don't Vape at my desk.

    It looks unprofessional and tacky in a workplace setting.

    Just my 2 cents.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭ naughtysmurf


    MayoSalmon wrote: »
    The act of Vaping is very similar to smoking of course and hence I don't Vape at my desk.

    It looks unprofessional and tacky in a workplace setting.

    Just my 2 cents.

    Depends on the setting, if dealing with the public it wouldn't look great but behind the scenes in say a workshop setting or similar i would think it's fine....don't see it as tacky


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭ MayoSalmon


    Depends on the setting, if dealing with the public it wouldn't look great but behind the scenes in say a workshop setting or similar i would think it's fine....don't see it as tacky

    The setting I am talking about is general open plan office.

    Not sure if anybody has mentioned this yet but stealth vaping would work much better in the workplace I would imagine.

    It is the sight of the plumes of smoke/vapour that make it look bad


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭ tommy2bad


    MayoSalmon wrote: »
    The setting I am talking about is general open plan office.

    Not sure if anybody has mentioned this yet but stealth vaping would work much better in the workplace I would imagine.

    It is the sight of the plumes of smoke/vapour that make it look bad

    Again with the objection to vapor. Have we become so propagandised that we have a pavlovian response to anything that looks like smoking. Dear God what will it be like when the de-normalization of sugar, salt, caffeine starts. Panic when someone drinks a beverage that looks sweet?

    It's not smoke! We have moved on and ye need to deal with it.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭ naughtysmurf


    tommy2bad wrote: »
    Again with the objection to vapor. Have we become so propagandised that we have a pavlovian response to anything that looks like smoking. Dear God what will it be like when the de-normalization of sugar, salt, caffeine starts. Panic when someone drinks a beverage that looks sweet?

    It's not smoke! We have moved on and ye need to deal with it.

    It's mad really, If you stay onsite at a Disney Resort Hotel in Orlando, smoking is not allowed in guest rooms (fair enough) OR on balconies or patios attached to the guest room, only in designated smoking areas, you are allowed to use an e-cig in a guest room though (inside) but not on a balcony or patio (outside) in case somebody sees you & thinks you are smoking tobacco!! I can only assume that they expect some sort of chaos to ensue if someone is seen vaping


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭ MayoSalmon


    tommy2bad wrote: »
    Again with the objection to vapor. Have we become so propagandised that we have a pavlovian response to anything that looks like smoking. Dear God what will it be like when the de-normalization of sugar, salt, caffeine starts. Panic when someone drinks a beverage that looks sweet?

    It's not smoke! We have moved on and ye need to deal with it.

    I need to deal with what? That fact that it is not smoke, I never said was, I said it resembles it.

    Unfortunately the sooner the e-cig industry is regulated the better. It is also unfortunate that there is no concise health evidence against or for the things, everything at the moment is very grey. Lastly industry at present is not helping itself by deploying the same tactics the tobacco industry did many years ago....Sexy girl advertisements, fancy colors, fancy flavors etc etc.

    All this is why the e-cigarette industry is getting a bad rap. Regulation is badly needed and once that is in place a serious PR campaign needs to be had before it just gets rapped into every anti-tobacco law in Ireland/Europe.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 visual


    MayoSalmon wrote: »
    I need to deal with what? That fact that it is not smoke, I never said was, I said it resembles it.

    Unfortunately the sooner the e-cig industry is regulated the better. It is also unfortunate that there is no concise health evidence against or for the things, everything at the moment is very grey. Lastly industry at present is not helping itself by deploying the same tactics the tobacco industry did many years ago....Sexy girl advertisements, fancy colors, fancy flavors etc etc.

    All this is why the e-cigarette industry is getting a bad rap. Regulation is badly needed and once that is in place a serious PR campaign needs to be had before it just gets rapped into every anti-tobacco law in Ireland/Europe.

    The only reason its perceive to be bad is because some just want it to be. They are usually non smokers who just hate the thought someone else might be enjoying it.
    Our small minded society has too many who justify their little lives by taking the moral high ground be it smoking over weight or anything that is new different or unusual.

    Smoking ban justified some to vent their displeasure and take pleasure seeing smoker treated like 2nd class citizens. A electronic substitute is not going to change their bigoted view.

    Is it the device or the liquid that they want tested is it the nicotine they object to
    Or the fact it has vapor and can be nicotine free.
    If aall smokers swithed to a tooth pick they be just as vocal just as up set and just as closed minded.

    Some people just need a kick in the ass and told firmly to seek professional help for trying to impose their will on everyone else.

    No one likes a control freek


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭ MayoSalmon


    visual wrote: »

    Smoking ban justified some to vent their displeasure and take pleasure seeing smoker treated like 2nd class citizens.

    2nd hand smoke is extremely harmful and a proven killer. Smokers are not being treated as 2nd class citizens, they have just been told that if they want to smoke go do it besides your fellow smokers away from the non smoking population.

    The smoking ban has undoubtedly saved lives.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭ tommy2bad


    MayoSalmon wrote: »
    I need to deal with what? That fact that it is not smoke, I never said was, I said it resembles it.
    So what? Steam from a hot beverage resembles it so dose your breath on a cold day!
    MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Unfortunately the sooner the e-cig industry is regulated the better. It is also unfortunate that there is no concise health evidence against or for the things, everything at the moment is very grey.
    It's not grey, it's black n white as you'll get. Their is no evidence of harm and clear evidence of benifit. I can cite the research but this thread would be going over old ground again.

    MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Lastly industry at present is not helping itself by deploying the same tactics the tobacco industry did many years ago....Sexy girl advertisements, fancy colors, fancy flavors etc etc.
    And tactics that all industries use in advertising, even NRT, is it advertising in general you don't like because I with you on that one, as Bill Hicks said marketing men suck Satan's .....

    MayoSalmon wrote: »
    All this is why the e-cigarette industry is getting a bad rap. Regulation is badly needed and once that is in place a serious PR campaign needs to be had before it just gets rapped into every anti-tobacco law in Ireland/Europe.
    Yes regulation is needed, not because their is none but because ecigs need specific regs that reflect the product. Not tobacco regs which is what we are getting mixed with in all but name medical regs.

    It doesn't help when vapers assume that vaping is smoking and behave as if it were. It's not. We need to stop being smokers and start being vapers. No self imposed ban on public use, no acting as if we were harming anyone at all and stop accepting that we are just getting round bans.
    I'm not saying that we should vape anywhere and everywhere, lets face it we wouldn't eat anywhere and everywhere or drink alcohol. But the idea that vaping should be not seen or done in public as they want smoking to be is nonsense. By accepting this we are giving them ( the nervous Nellies) a justification for their 'concerns' After all if we don't demonstrate confidence in vaping why should they not be concerned.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭ tommy2bad


    MayoSalmon wrote: »
    2nd hand smoke is extremely harmful and a proven killer. Smokers are not being treated as 2nd class citizens, they have just been told that if they want to smoke go do it besides your fellow smokers away from the non smoking population.

    The smoking ban has undoubtedly saved lives.

    I supported the smoking ban in enclosed spaces, it had evidence to support it and though they exaggerated that evidence on balance it was the right thing.
    Extending the smoking ban to open spaces or including vaper in the ban is just plain wrong. Their's no harm to be removed or reduced by this extension, it's a step towards bullying to achieve an end. No matter how admirable the end, the method shames it and makes it supporters look petty and ridiculous. This will not be to their credit when another health issue is being pursued and like the boy who cried wolf, they will be ignored.
    I get the feeling that the anti smoking movement has stopped being a health issue and morphed into some new moral crusade.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 visual


    MayoSalmon wrote: »
    2nd hand smoke is extremely harmful and a proven killer. Smokers are not being treated as 2nd class citizens, they have just been told that if they want to smoke go do it besides your fellow smokers away from the non smoking population.

    The smoking ban has undoubtedly saved lives.

    You have not made or chose to ignore the distinction between tobacco cigarettes and electronic vapor devices.

    Your other post calling for regulation wasn't unqualified. I have the impression the equipment isn't the issue and the regulation your seeking is the use and sale of is governed.
    What is sad is something different or new frightens some people and you accept media hysteria as fact and fail to see those calling for regulations are those seeking to benefit from its sale.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭ MayoSalmon


    tommy2bad wrote: »
    It's not grey, it's black n white as you'll get. Their is no evidence of harm and clear evidence of benifit. I can cite the research but this thread would be going over old ground again.

    There is no evidence of harm? Do you actually believe that?

    Nicotine delivers no benefits and developing a nicotine addiction certainly doesn't . I am looking at my dekang e-liquid bottle here beside me and it states if ingested please contact a doctor...harmful to say the least.

    My main issue/concern with e-cigs is the flavoring. I find it hard to believe there is no harm in these artificial additives, it may be only minute but I am not going to kid myself for one minute and think oh that sweet cherry vapor or whatever I am inhaling is great for my lungs.

    I have read in the past that they are food flavorings? That's great but still not sure if inhaling that into the lungs is best practice.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭ grindle


    MayoSalmon wrote: »
    There is no evidence of harm? Do you actually believe that?
    It's a fact. There is no evidence of long-term harm with relation to nicotine.
    MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Nicotine delivers no benefits

    Experts on Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, Tourette's, ADHD, schizophrenia, ulcerative colitis and some bipolar disorders disagree with you. The idea that you're using ecigs to replace cigs much like most on this forum suggests a clear health benefit that your argument attempts to negate for some reason.
    MayoSalmon wrote: »
    I am looking at my dekang e-liquid bottle here beside me and it states if ingested please contact a doctor...harmful to say the least.

    Harmful to the children of irresponsible parents or mongoloids tempted to drink bottles of eliquid. Not harmful when used as intended as far as anybody on the planet knows, and they have been testing.
    My chewing gum warns against excessive consumption due to phenylalanine and I've successfully avoided a bad case of the runs by not ingesting the whole pack. I wouldn't label chewing gum as harmful myself but we may have differing ideas on what is or isn't dangerous and why.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭ MayoSalmon


    grindle wrote: »
    It's a fact. There is no evidence of long-term harm with relation to nicotine.

    Yes there is. Its increases your heart rate, few beats per minute. There is also some evidence it may have other negative circulatory effects. It is dangerous to intake during pregnancy and It is highly addictive with its withdrawal symptoms being fairly common knowledge. While these may not warrant severe negatives to you or some people, they are negative none the less.


Advertisement