Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Fave Irish TV Shows of All-Time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

father ted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

s8n wrote: »
    Hands and the hands revisited show from last year (might not be the actual title).

Me and my late dad would watch this together. Was amazing seeing how things were done manually before machines came along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Strumpet City. It was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Leagues Apart,

Ardal O Hanlon travelled around different cites of Europe taking in the big soccer matches between deadly rival teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Leagues Apart,

Ardal O Hanlon travelled around different cites of Europe taking in the big soccer matches between deadly rival teams.

I can't remember this, sounds good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I can't remember this, sounds good though.

http://www.rte.ie/presspack/2006/04/20/leagues-apart-with-ardal-ohanlon-3/

Most of the episodes are up on Youtube

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Leagues Apart,

Not sure about the best ever, but it's certainly good. Watching it now.

Thanks for the tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,887 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Let's not forget Hector san Astrail...TG4 gold right there
    http://goodcompany.ie/productions/hector-san-oz/

Great series, hate the way you cant just grab this stuff off Pirate Bay or Youtube the way you can with every other countries stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,075 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

s8n wrote: »
    Hands and the hands revisited show from last year (might not be the actual title).

Totally agree, Hands was a fantastic production, that has and will continue to stand the test of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Any love for The Clinic on here?
    I thought it was fantastic, although the 6th season was poor enough and the 7th season was embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 donkey_kong

Prosperity, the Lenny Abrahamson directed drama, was incredible television imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

DazMarz wrote: »
    One of the funniest scenes in Irish television history, from the ever brilliant Bachelor's Walk

Still quote this at home, fantastic stuff!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

The savage eye - tis be a great laugh

Apres Match - chuckles

Soccer on RTE - it's showbiz baby!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

Dont feed the gondolas was great stuff. Seemed so crazy for Irish Tv at the time.

Regards,
    Sean M*

*May not be Sean Moncrief

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Sports Stadium, back in the day when it didnt cost the budget of a small country to show a bit of All Ireland handball on the telly.
    Anything Goes - Aonghus McAnally with the mad hair and Dave Heffernan trying to look all rock star and uber cool. I used to love the sporty one Kathy Parkes (she played hockey I think) and then there was all the "make & do" with Mary you could use your old toilet roll inserts for. What better way to spend a Saturday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭nigelradion2

Sheela wrote: »
    Paths to Freedom

That rarity - A genuinely funny Irish comedy. Didn't realise when watching that Brendan Coyle who plays Jeremy is English as his accent was so good.

Michael McElahatton now of GoT is fantastic also
    good choices there. Mine would be as follows:

(1) Bosco (Used to love Bosco) (the only show in the 1980s to watch as a kid until Zig and Zag arrived in 1987)/

(2) Glenroe (again, was great in the early days)

(3) Dempsey's Den (from when it started in 1986 right up to when Zig and Zag left (shame on them!) in 1993.

(4) Father Ted

(5) Blackboard Jungle (Remember that?)

(6) Liked "Where in the World" with Thereasa Lowe presenting it.

(7) The Late Late Show (couldn't have imagined growing up in Ireland without that.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭nigelradion2

Anything Goes - I'd completely forgotten about that. 3 hours of an outside live broadcast between 9am and 12 noon on a Saturday morning if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Sports Stadium, back in the day when it didnt cost the budget of a small country to show a bit of All Ireland handball on the telly.
    Anything Goes - Aonghus McAnally with the mad hair and Dave Heffernan trying to look all rock star and uber cool. I used to love the sporty one Kathy Parkes (she played hockey I think) and then there was all the "make & do" with Mary you could use your old toilet roll inserts for. What better way to spend a Saturday morning.

Good old Sports Stadium. Throw in a bit of horse racing and also the occasional English Division 1 soccer match in the days before Sky ruled the roost. Maybe a bit of cycling as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Heroditas wrote: »
    Good old Sports Stadium. Throw in a bit of horse racing and also the occasional English Division 1 soccer match in the days before Sky ruled the roost. Maybe a bit of cycling as well.

The racing section presented by Noel Reid. The results of each race were handwritten on rectangular cardboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Soupy Norman

Completely forgot about this. Absolutely loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I really enjoyed Hands as well. My grandfather was a cooper, a dying profession that featured on Hands. It was great to see what he would have done at work.

I really enjoyed Love Is The Drug, I think it aired in 2004. Don't Feed the Gondalas was good too. I loved the Monica Loolly from Ahascragh prank calls.The Panel with Dara was always good for a laugh. Pure Mule and Love/Hate were decent dramas as well.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I really enjoyed Hands as well. My grandfather was a cooper, a dying profession that featured on Hands. It was great to see what he would have done at work.

I really enjoyed Love Is The Drug, I think it aired in 2004. Don't Feed the Gondalas was good too. I loved the Monica Loolly from Ahascragh prank calls.The Panel with Dara was always good for a laugh. Pure Mule and Love/Hate were decent dramas as well.

This was fantastic. Only lasted six episodes, I really wanted more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

The Panel: Loved that show, was great until Dara O' Briain fecked off to the UK, they should have left Colin Murphy present it like they did on one of the episodes where Dara was absent. When they got David McWilliams and that gobshyte Craig Doyle on, it just became unfunny really quickly. Was such a shame. Andrew Maxwell always had me in the stitches. Loved his rant about D4 middle aged mothers owning petrol guzzling dangerous SUV's and calling them "Posh spoiled self indulgent vain dicks, and nobody needs a car that size and are only made for the the vain and daft!" he goes on for a while and says more. Think it's on Youtube somewhere, best rant ever!

Bachelors Walk was great too

Bull Island was gas, don't think it was mentioned yet.

Blizzard of Odd

A Scare at Bedtime

The Den with Zig and Zag

2Phat was alright...."where you could win the 2Phat Scooter, Scooter, Scooter"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Scratch Saturday.

Presented by Brians Graham and Reddin. And Kevo was on it too.

I won a discman on that show in 1990! Oh yeah!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Mentioned already but No Disco was fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

The Master wrote: »
    Mentioned already but No Disco was fantastic

Great show and got people into music that they couldn't get anywhere else on TV, with the late Uaneen Fitzsimons, it was at it's greatest after her passing it never recovered sadly.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Just remembered The Modest Adventures of David O'Doherty, shame there was only one series of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Des Bishop's Work Experience

Des Bishop greatest moment until he became a pain in the ass. I seen this now as I have it on DVD more as a black comedy Drama Documentary cause it show's what it's like to work these kind of job's and how depressing it can be. I find the non comedy bit's far more interesting now then Bishop's stand up stuff, the best episode was the swimming complex fun park when the kid robbed his euro so he couldn't get a can of Diet Coke :D, Bishop went on full mental breakdown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Power Gear

Loved this as a child in the 70's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall's_Pictorial_Weekly

Advertisement