Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Fave Irish TV Shows of All-Time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

wprathead wrote: »
    How can people hate Chris?! Agree that Moone Boy is a great show

Might seem bit left field, but I though Mórbeag's was a great childrens' TV Show

Like this.

I hate him, he's an unfunny tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

mdwexford wrote: »
    Like this.

I hate him, he's an unfunny tool.

Tend to agree with this, from what I've seen he was brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Heroditas

No mention of Strumpet City?!
    An absolutely brilliant adaptation of the novel.

Pure Mule wasn't too bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Most recently I would have to say the savage eye

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Father ted is irish!!!! Anyone who thinks otherwise can fook off. It is our show, ok!!!!

Channel 4 would disagree with you!
    Someone else mentioned the Blizzard of Odd, great call. There was some great scathing criticism in it.
    The first season of Bachelors Walk was great but the others were very meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

As a biffo I might be biased, but Pure Mule was a good show and in 30 years time it will be a good history lesson for what went on in rural Ireland during and after the boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Bachelor's Walk is so underrated and undervalued by RTE, They've only released season 1 on DVD and that was a few years back, when was the last time they showed it on TV?. I still think Season 1 was the high point of the show (especially as I had a crush on the young girlfriend that Barry was dating:P, sadly she was never seen again), it was only the three guys and a few other characters. It was heartfelt, funny and is a great snapshot of Dublin during the Celtic Tiger period. Season 2 and 3 never quite lived up to season 1.

Paths to Freedom, while Father Ted is classic, it was made by a British Station. So I go with this, I know the stuff with Rats (Michael McElharton) gets a ton of credit but the stuff that makes me laugh more is the stuff with Brendan Coyle and Deidre o' Kane is even better, watching Coyle character lose his sanity is so bloody funny. This was premiered the same day as Bachelor's Walk too back in 2001, I think on a Monday. Best Tv programming RTE did in the 00's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

The Panel: Up until Dara O'Briain left anyway, it kinda lost the run of itself after that.

What a great show that was during it's time, I agree once O'Briain left it took a massive dip. If Colin Murphy Ed Bryne and John Bishop were on at the same time with O' Briain, you knew you get a classic show.

Blizzard of Odd- damn what a funny show this was, half 10 on a Monday night, I always tuned in. Some clips are up on youtube but RTE need to show these again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Wanderly Wagon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭celtic tiger 2011

Trojan Donkey or Naked Camera . Its better than any the other ****e ye mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The Panel: Up until Dara O'Briain left anyway, it kinda lost the run of itself after that.

A great show for the most part, the exception being anytime Fiona looney spoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

Have to say I have never enjoyed a programme on RTE as much as The Savage Eye. Watching the repeats and still laughing is something that rarely happens with 'satirical' shows. Hardy Bucks (series 2) was superb too, shame they made such a balls of the first series though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

This post has been deleted.

About 12 or 13 minutes in a load of old biddys have written in complaining about a sanitary towels advert, that's good television

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Trojan Donkey or Naked Camera . Its better than any the other ****e ye mentioned.

OK, now you're just being silly. :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Maragenie

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Glenroe
    wanderly wagon
    bosco
    know your sport
    rapid roulette
    where in the world

Posted like a Boss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

Father Ted isn't actually Irish but if we are including Irish shows that are made by foreign companies mine would be,
    London Irish, Give my head peace, Father Ted and Killinaskully, it reminds me alot of my own village, very humorous

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Forgot completely about Play The Game and Mailbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Most of my favourites have been mentioned.

The Late Late Show in Gay Byrne's era was usually class. It was the programme which set the agenda for the whole country, if you missed it you felt like you were out of the loop.

And The Den (with Zig and Zag and Dustin in their prime) was brilliant. It was a terrific comedy show masquerading as a Childrens TV Presentation. They wouldn't get away with half of their antics these days, it was subversive brilliance.

Two programmes there which were well ahead of their counterparts on BBC/ITV at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭celtic tiger 2011

Skid X wrote: »
    Most of my favourites have been mentioned.

The Late Late Show in Gay Byrne's era was usually class. It was the programme which set the agenda for the whole country, if you missed it you felt like you were out of the loop.

And The Den (with Zig and Zag and Dustin in their prime) was brilliant. It was a terrific comedy show masquerading as a Childrens TV Presentation. They wouldn't get away with half of their antics these days, it was subversive brilliance.

Two programmes there which were well ahead of their counterparts on BBC/ITV at the time.

The Late Late Show was always ****e and Grandpa Gaybo was always an insufferable bore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Love/Hate
    Bachelors Walk
    The Sunday Game
    Know Your Sport
    Sports Stadium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

No one remember NightHawks with Shay Healy then? Now that was explosive, compulsive viewing back in the day...Irish TDs lining up to stab themselves in the back on live TV inbetween live music and strange stand up comedians and skits.

Waterways with Dick Warney on his canal barge was also beautifully shot and editied.

No Disco was also very good while it lasted.

To the Waters and the Wild must get a mention for its craft too.

Paths To Freedom is my choice for best comedy RTE ever made and probably ever will make...

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Roddy Doyle's mini-series "Family" was pretty good for the time. Got it on Dvd recently.
    "Chips shouldn't bounce"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0313842/

Fergus wedding.

I remember thinking it was fairly outrageous at the time for RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭electric applause

Let's not forget Hector san Astrail...TG4 gold right there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

A Scare at Bedtime and Blizzard of Odd were my two personal favourites.

Broke my heart when Podge and Rodge did their chat show where guest's publicists pretty much wrote the questions. Just shocking all round. Gave Lucy Kennedy her medium break too which annoys a lot of Boardsies.

Colin Murphy was perfect on Blizzard of Odd. ****e little clips from "Leprechaun in the Hood" quality films that he could tear apart. I was probably about 10 too at the time when both these shows were on the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭daredevil360

The Savage Eye ,great laugh ,the garda scenes were my fav :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Tomohawk wrote: »
    No one remember NightHawks with Shay Healy then? Now that was explosive, compulsive viewing back in the day...Irish TDs lining up to stab themselves in the back on live TV inbetween live music and strange stand up comedians and skits.

Ah I remember it well.
    Also, other clips such as Dunphy and Gilesy singing on it absolutely blotto the night that Ireland qualified for Italia 90.
    There was a programme on RTE1 on New Years Day or the 2nd last year that looked back at a lot of the stuff on Nighthwks.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/tv50nighthawksrehashed.html

The phone tapping bit was huge at the time!
    Tomohawk wrote: »
    Waterways with Dick Warney on his canal barge was also beautifully shot and editied.

An extremely underrated programme, as is most of his stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Hands and the hands revisited show from last year (might not be the actual title).

Advertisement