Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***MatchThread*** 4th Feb 20:15 WES2 FB Monks

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Champione, Champione, Ole, Ole, Ole!!!!

Des kindly called me right after and I've had updates from Murtagh, sounds like proper epic conditions, feckin sounded like a hurricane in the background on the phone with Des. To be able to keep playing in those conditions takes some doing, to come from behind and score five is just downright impressive.

I rarely call out any individual names as the fundamental ethos this team has always been built on is it's all about the team. But when a striker bangs in 4 it deserves a special mention lads, Derek, take a bow, you've been lethal all season.

Last season we were actually capable of that and any of our best performances from this season, but it's right to bring the consistency point back up - that really has been the difference. We actually haven't hit full potential too many times, it's more that even when we were grinding it there was still a consistently high standard we didn't let it drop below.

I won't lie, there's more a tint of regret to not being there when we actually won it, have waited long enough for it, but that's way, way outweighed by the pride of being part of this team - I love that we've won, I love that we've done it by playing fear-free attacking football, but mostly I love that we've done it as a genuine team: look around, there's not too many teams that play for each other as we all do, most of them are falling out with each other all the time.

Right, priorities are now on posting a record 49 points on the board and making sure everyone books in the trophy night to see how many jagerbombs we can fit into the cup!

Des, as always, thanks for your dedication and guiding of this team, has been a long journey but defo worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭murtagh

If our performance this season has thought us anything it's shown us how much Collie has been holding us back all these years :p:p:p

An added bonus tonight was that i didnt have to bother with the usual ice bath afterwards.

Well played all round tonight, particularly on the offence in the 2nd half. Very composed and controlled on the ball.
    I havent had that many fresh airs since the last time i tried pucking a sliothar around the beach in Lahinch.
    The Kolo Toure clearance/assist and the deflected OG didnt get us off to a great start but the wonder-goal from Paddy and the attacking efforts in the 2nd half were impeccable.

Anyway, from 1 to 11 it was a great effort this season and a just reward. Also, I'd like to echo Jules' thanks to Des for organising and managing everything again this year.

Looking forward to the night out, and as is custom, the top scorer has to fill the cup with the jagerbombs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I wasn't able to make it out, but I was in and around Dundrum around half eight. Incredible gusts. I thought it would be off. Excellent result.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

dfx- wrote: »
    Incredible gusts.

wasnt just the wind, it poured for the entire game, i could barely move in the second half with the extra weight of rain soaked kit.

to sum up how bad the wind was, i kicked one ball off my hands in the second half and despite kicking it into the far sideline, it ended up clearing the opposite fence (which is about 25ft tall) and didnt stop until it got to the end of the bottom pitch. insane, but thankfully it worked out in the end.

would have been a real sickner to lose in those conditions, considering what was at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mall10357

Well Done Lads Congrats

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

in the first half it was very difficult to look to the right side of the pitch, the wind was driving the rain very hard

As Ed says above, lets make sure we get the various other accolades, we shouldnt be taking our foot off the gas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Mall10357 wrote: »
    Well Done Lads Congrats

Cheers, you helped out too with a clean sheet in our first game to set us on our way!

Welcome to the presentation night if you feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Brilliant performance lads, that rain in the 1st half......wow.

Can't wait for the next 3 games now, I doubt any team has won it with 49 points it would be great if we could achieve that.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Well done guys and congratulations!! I can't believe you were out playing in that weather last night, just running to my car was enough for me to stay indoors for the rest of the night :D

All of your training has obviously paid off; fair play to you and good luck with the next few games even though you don't need them!

I'm going to put something up on our Boards Facebook and Twitter accounts about your win later today :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cheers Niamh!

• Advertisement

Thanks Niamh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

anyone elses body still in bits from last nights hurricane conditions match?

Nope.. Pfft young lads look at me I can score 4 goals and then fall apart! If you had scored a 5th you'd have probably died...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

To be honest it's Des i pity. I spent the first ten minutes watching with him on the sideline and the rest playing. Without question it was harder on the sideline. Wind was whipping you straight in the face constantly there.
    Piece of cake out on the pitch. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DeviantD

Congratulations lads and sorry I couldn't make it last night. I will be out to watch next week.
    Derek

Mousewar wrote: »
    To be honest it's Des i pity. I spent the first ten minutes watching with him on the sideline and the rest playing. Without question it was harder on the sideline. Wind was whipping you straight in the face constantly there.
    Piece of cake out on the pitch. :pac:

Could have went across the other side.....

Could have went across the other side.....

you win this round...

smarter than your average bear.

smarter than your average bear.

Yeah, being slightly smarter than a bear sounds about right for you. :pac:

looking at the other leagues and how far behind they are, we are unlikely to get the trophy/medals until April :eek::eek::eek:

should have a night out ourselves before then...

• Advertisement

sure arent the medals dished out after all the leagues end anyway? when do the presentations take place normally?

Edit: Just checked the date stamps on the astro facebook presentation night for last years winter league and it was late march :O

mrDerek wrote: »
    sure arent the medals dished out after all the leagues end anyway? when do the presentations take place normally?

Edit: Just checked the date stamps on the astro facebook presentation night for last years winter league and it was late march :O

ya normally, but their are some leagues about 4 weeks behind due to problems with one of the pitches.

man if thats right the presentations will be right around the start of the summer season

mrDerek wrote: »
    man if thats right the presentations will be right around the start of the summer season

division 4 has fixtures until April 17th.....:o

edit - this is the end date for all 11 a side league...

1 - march 31st
    2 - april 22nd
    4 - april 17th
    5 - mar 3rd
    6 - 25th feb
    7 - 19th feb
    8 - 27th feb

not sure how the 5/6 a sides are...assume if most of them are finished in the next 2 or 3 weeks, the presentaion maybe brought forward but if they wait until the end, it could be f8cking May before its on...that would be a joke, surely they wont wait that long.

That suits me, wife is 8 months pregnant, may would be lovely.

That suits me, wife is 8 months pregnant, may would be lovely.

wouldn't suit me at all, mine is 7 months :mad:

bunch of sluts ;~)

Suits me, mine is 4!

Advertisement