Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner quadcopter

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Seems like a lot of people have at least two of these or other type of copter. I've been tempted to get a 2nd one while I wait for my new hubsan. It's on back order and estimated to be in stock sat, so prob another 3-4 weeks before it arrives here?

Kirby wrote: »
    I have a Hubsan x4 and a V922 6-channel chopper on order. Should have them in about a week or so. :)

The V922 is a great little heli, I have the HCP80 (same as V933), they're a lot of fun and the small size makes them very crash-resistant.

One thing i'd say is that the WLtoys transmitter isn't fantastic, have you something else to fly it with?
    jozi wrote: »
    Seems like a lot of people have at least two of these or other type of copter. I've been tempted to get a 2nd one while I wait for my new hubsan. It's on back order and estimated to be in stock sat, so prob another 3-4 weeks before it arrives here?

Yeah, once they ship it it'll be around 3 weeks. About the quickest i've had from BG is 2 weeks. When things are in stock they normally ship the next day but after Chinese new year i'd say a lot of popular things are back ordered. The whole country shuts down for 2 weeks.

Yeah the copter was out of stock. I seen another msg on a different site about delays at the post office. Was offered another one the day I had ordered it, world have been here by now if I'd bought it.

Nearly 2 weeks waiting on BangGood to process my order and their expectd stock went from the 15th to the 21st :mad:

I gave in to waiting on BangGood and ordered BnF from arrowmodels (where I got the first one). It arrived today :cool:

Have flown about 3x three batteries indoors so far, starting to get the hang of flying, still need more time when it's facing me. It's drifting ever so slightly, much more stable than the last one though, and trim doesn't seem to be able to get it spot on but it's manageable. Destroyed one pair of blades as well so far, more on order from BG.

I went outside earlier just for a min, expert mode is way more sensitive! I dialed back some thing as recommended which seems fine for indoors.

• Advertisement

Glad to hear you got one, their prices look decent enough as well. Banggood are fine for when you're not in a rush but the slow boat can be frustrating if you need something asap. For that reason I try to order parts (motors etc) before I need them.

I wouldn't worry about a little bit of drift, it's impossible to have something that stays perfectly in one spot even indoors. If you can go hands off in the middle of the room and it takes 4 or 5 seconds before it's about to hit a wall I would consider it perfect and not bother trying to trim or calibrate it any more.

Damage to a prop can make it produce more or less lift so if it's suddenly drifting a lot I would check the props before trying to trim or re-calibrate it.

Flying in all orientations is one of those things that you should practice a LOT, it will take a lot of effort initially and eventually your brain will just do it automatically for you. That's the great thing about small, cheap helis/quads, you can practice the basic stuff for hours in all weather and when you eventually move to something bigger and more expensive, all the basic mistakes will be behind you.

At €19.50 RTF I am very tempted by this one but will try my best to resist, the last thing I need is another micro quad, it probably eats motors and batteries like they're going out of fashion :pac:

http://www.tmart.com/World-s-Smallest-Wltoys-V272-2.4G-4CH-6-Axial-Nano-RC-Quadcopter-with-normal-Controller-RTF_p238995.html

Seems to be a modified copy of the Hubsan Q4 nano. Which is good fun but doesn't last very long.

I spotted that micro as well, figured having a tx I should just stick to the hubsan.

I had a crash earlier between a chair and a foot rest thing and one of the motors sounds different to the rest, even with the prop removed. I put a drop of 3in1 on the shaft and it seems cured.

Does anyone know are the white and black props the same? Other than being CW and CCW can I use a white one instead of a black? I got a little damage and its drifting a whole lot more than before. The drifting before wasn't bad enough not to manage it.

Had a quick play outside and in expert mode, what a difference in how sensitive it is! Was to windy so I didn't stay out to long, it didn't fly of though :cool:

Yep the white and black props are the same, once you put CW and CCW on the correct motors it doesnt matter what colour they are.

The motor shaft can be damaged easily enough from crashes so keep an eye on the one you thought was iffy. Sound is definitely one way, if you hold it level with a small bit of throttle and then lower each corner you'll be able to hear each motor throttle up. Another thing is to give each prop a flick and see how long they spin.

Motors are cheap enough and not too hard to replace if you can solder, fiddly more than anything.

Another tip is that if you crash upside down indoors check the motors for hair before flying again.

I think it was just a bad prob that made it sound different. I've put new props on and it's hovering nearly as good as it did out of the box.

Had a good go (3x batteries) at flying out doors earlier in expert mode. Getting a bit more confident in making sure it doesnt get away, need to practice flying with the quad not facing away from me. She's pretty durable to, had a few crashes from hitting a tree branch and from killing power when heading for the tree to fast.

Is it normal for it to lose altitude when flying in a certain directing as fast as it will go?

Also, is it possible to disable the auto flip, I've crashed a few times because of it when I didnt want it to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Is it normal for it to lose altitude when flying in a certain directing as fast as it will go?

Basically, it is moving forwards because it it is tilted slightly forwards, which introduce an additional downward force. At max speed, there is no spare upwards force available (from throttling up) to compensate for this so you will tend to lose a bit of altitude.

I can see how it makes sense, is it the same with larger quads also? Would you throttle up a little before doing it or just live with it?

Advertisement