Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi vis discussion thread (read post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I coach our local GAA team at under-10. Apparently, when we meet for games, having an official club top on is not enough to identify me from the opposing teams manager (who is also in their own club top), so we've all been requested to identify ourselves in more prominent colours - you've guessed it, a hi-vis vest with our club name on the front and back. So far, I'm refusing as it's ridiculous......The madness goes on.......

So after a hundred years of clubs using colours that ensure they are distinguishable from the opposition (at least in most cases), the plan is to now differentiate by using a vest in a colour extremely likely to clash if the other teams adopt the same approach.

Genius

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Garment manufacturers should be forbidden to make clothing that is not fluorescent. Over a time frame of a decade or so, the wearing of non-fluorescent clothing should be made illegal.

Since we're ineluctably moving towards wearing hi-viz all the time, might as well get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I coach our local GAA team at under-10. Apparently, when we meet for games, having an official club top on is not enough to identify me from the opposing teams manager (who is also in their own club top), so we've all been requested to identify ourselves in more prominent colours - you've guessed it, a hi-vis vest with our club name on the front and back. So far, I'm refusing as it's ridiculous......The madness goes on.......

Well, if you get mowed down by a 9 year old, you'll only have yourself to blame. Don't come back here crying about it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I saw a guy litter picking today. Hi-vis on top, urban camo on the bottom. I think he noticed my look of confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I saw a guy litter picking today. Hi-vis on top, urban camo on the bottom. I think he noticed my look of confusion.

If they're real winter DPMs then there's actually a reason behind such a getup, they're really really warm and comfy especially for somebody with an on the street job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

7514_bff3_662.jpeg

Was down at the annual bike week Dublin lunchtime cycle...

60054984.jpg

On the plus side, it was definitely the best-organised in years - Garda on a moto and another on a bike, a lead car, marshals at all junctions and even route signs.

However, they moved the start location (which was confusing and should've been highlighted more), turn-out was pretty low, and the emphasis on hi-viz and safety was disappointing and frankly depressing. You didn't have to wear it, but there were only a few of us not shiny and orange for the spin.

bQkTB2x.jpg
    (bonus marks for Sky team helmet with a chicken outfit!)

8upCUqH.jpg

XvplySP.jpg

Yes, that looks really awful. That is not going to persuade anyone to give cycling a try. Might as well make them wear Neapolitan clown wigs and tutus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I remember being there for the first one, with no hi vis given out, a bigger crowd, less marshaling but somehow, no fatalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Looks like a group of construction workers on a tea break! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

A new road safety report will recommend it be made compulsory for cyclists to wear helmets and high visibility jackets at all times, and that pedestrians wear the jackets after dark.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/safety-report-recommends-compulsory-hi-vis-jackets-404933.html

CramCycle wrote: »
    I remember being there for the first one, with no hi vis given out, a bigger crowd, less marshaling but somehow, no fatalities.

I forgot to mention, the first thing we encountered as we set off was a shiny metal pole with blue bike sign. Right in the middle of the roadway, half the height of a bike so pretty obscured in the middle of a bunch of cyclists.
    https://goo.gl/maps/hvZo54ALBxQ2

Of all the things they could've put hi-viz on, they didn't think that it needed one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Tenzor07 wrote: »

They could always just make it compulsory for motorists to drive with due care and attention................:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Cllr Declan Hurley (Ind) agreed with him, and also asked for the document to include that it be compulsory for all pedestrians to wear the jackets at night.
    so if i decide to wander out of mulligan's and over to bowe's, i'll need to be carrying a hi-vis jacket to make the trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

so if i decide to wander out of mulligan's and over to bowe's, i'll need to be carrying a hi-vis jacket to make the trip?

Naw, drive. You'll be grand!

Tenzor07 wrote: »

I seem to remember these things are put forward at county level now and then. They're usually shot down long before they reach the Minister for Transport. Best not to be complacent though.

Usual statistical nonsense of grouping cyclists and pedestrians as well. Given that cyclist deaths in the whole country rarely exceed ten per year, I really doubt cyclists made up that many fatalities in Cork.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I seem to remember these things are put forward at county level now and then. They're usually shot down long before they reach the Minister for Transport. Best not to be complacent though.

Usual statistical nonsense of grouping cyclists and pedestrians as well. Given that cyclist deaths in the whole country rarely exceed ten per year, I really doubt cyclists made up that many fatalities in Cork.

Yep but it would appear that the RSA are stirring the pot at county level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Wow. That just pressed all the right buttons for me. I'm wound up now!

EDIT: Caption competition?

Myself and doozerie were admiring the not-quite-arm-warmers and not-quite-knee-warmers on them at the cycle. Are they safety apparel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Might as well make them wear Neapolitan clown wigs and tutus.

Could be onto something there. Maybe a study that compares the safety benefits of different cycling attire, including hi viz, wigs & tutus, and regular clothes. Oh, and maybe the safety benefits of both road planners and motorists giving cyclists a bit of space on the road.

An article which claimed that the draft Cork Road Safety Plan recommends compulsory hi-vis jackets and helmets is incorrect, according to information seen by IrishCycle.com.
    http://irishcycle.com/2016/06/15/compulsory-helmets-and-hi-vis-not-included-in-draft-cork-safety-plan/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

So you buy some hi-vis clothing with the 10% off voucher, then go back again and again and again. The last bit you buy is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Jaysus, even their hi-viz are wearing hi-viz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Yes, that looks really awful. That is not going to persuade anyone to give cycling a try. Might as well make them wear Neapolitan clown wigs and tutus.

https://twitter.com/Flaminghobo1/status/724684646286524417?s=09

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

buffalo wrote: »

bQkTB2x.jpg

what the hell is that guy in the chicken suit thinking, he'll never be seen without a hi viz jacket on a clear sunny day :eek:

Two chicken suits, I think. I can't be sure, because like most people, my retina doesn't respond to light that isn't orange or lime-green.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

CatFromHue wrote: »
    what the hell is that guy in the chicken suit thinking, he'll never be seen without a hi viz jacket on a clear sunny day :eek:

Slightly off topic, but I was doing the w200 over the weekend and had a thought going up slieve maan that doing this in a chicken suit would enhance what is already a significant physical challenge. So I can understand where chicken man is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Well done on the orange hi-viz there bike week people - perfect for making them not stand out in rural areas to those of us that are colour blind!

• Advertisement

I feel like the prolific and world-renowned swearer who when moving house placed all his possessions in a horse-drawn cart, only to see them tumble out on a hilly ascent due to an insecurely fastened tailboard and smash on the road, whereupon he turned to the expectant onlookers and said:

"I can't do justice to this."

390022.jpg

Advertisement