Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM Punk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DM-ICE wrote: »
    That sounds even more like a storyline

I really don't think it does, whats the payoff, a top face cried and sulked until he got his match?

It doesn't feel like a storyline at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

We all know if anyone is going to take the credit for putting Bryan over at Wrestlemaina and making him a star its HHH.

HHH and the other DX members interfered in a Michaels vs Undertaker match at the Ground Zero PPV in September 1997. Undertaker challenged Michaels to the first Hell in a Cell match at Badd Blood a month after and that messed up Michaels back which led to his retirement. Michaels then trained many wrestlers including Daniel Bryan. So if DX didn't interfere in that Ground Zero match match Daniel Bryan might not be a wrestler in the WWE right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Punk returns a suit wearing heel and joins The Authority :p

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Punk returns a suit wearing heel and joins The Authority :p

(sarcastically speaking) that would be best for business,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Loughc wrote: »
    I really don't think it does, whats the payoff, a top face cried and sulked until he got his match?

It doesn't feel like a storyline at all.

Because it reads more like a soap opera than real life to me. Punk is perceived as a cranky, sulky individual that dislikes authority. Someone who was smart with his money, who is pissued off when people he sees as undeserving get spots ahead of full timers or the real talent, both were even themes in his DVD. Triple H is perceived as someone who only gives opportunity to his mates.

The timing of Punk rebelling is when New Age outlaws have just turned on Punk in a match and get rewarded with a title shot. Nash appears at the rumble, Batista brought back and put straight in the mania event.

His girlfriend is supposedly the only contact that WWE can get with him.

Coronation street would be proud if it.

Just my opinion but the whole thing fits a storyline well. I don't know if its real, a storyline or something in between but it's still something I could see them coming up with to generate interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    (sarcastically speaking) that would be best for business,

And faces Daniel Bryan for the title

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    And faces Daniel Bryan for the title

YES! YES! YES!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

Punk to End the Streak! :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Deadlie wrote: »
    Punk to End the Streak! :pac:

Or... Punk to sit on his couch watching WMXXX, tweeting "I would have done that better"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

764dak wrote: »
    HHH and the other DX members interfered in a Michaels vs Undertaker match at the Ground Zero PPV in September 1997. Undertaker challenged Michaels to the first Hell in a Cell match at Badd Blood a month after and that messed up Michaels back which led to his retirement. Michaels then trained many wrestlers including Daniel Bryan. So if DX didn't interfere in that Ground Zero match match Daniel Bryan might not be a wrestler in the WWE right now.

This post is taking the Michael* right?

*pun intended

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Feed me Seymour

BfKyU5HCYAAAKa5.png

anyone know if this source is reputable?

Punk v HHH at wm is what I believed would happen for months now. Story was going grand, bubbling for some time. 2nd or 3rd from end. There's no need for HHH to fight Bryan. That's a post mania match. Bryan should be in the main event.
    The day after ec, American fans can watch past orton v Batista bouts as many times as they want via the network. Bryan main eventing wm is fresh, new and the future.

I am pretty sure Daniel Bryan became a wrestler because a butterfly flapped his wings in Japan.

I say fair play to punk. There are alot of fans out there feel they way he does, at least he is in a position to let his voice be heard.

That is unless its a work.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Punk v HHH at wm is what I believed would happen for months now. Story was going grand, bubbling for some time. 2nd or 3rd from end. There's no need for HHH to fight Bryan. That's a post mania match. Bryan should be in the main event.
    The day after ec, American fans can watch past orton v Batista bouts as many times as they want via the network. Bryan main eventing wm is fresh, new and the future.

I thought the opposite. To me Bryan vs HHH made far more sense considering Hunter cost Bryan the title to Orton way back at Summerslam. Add into the equation Bryan's history with Michaels and I would have thought Bryan vs HHH should have been the direction all along.

To me Punk vs Orton for the title would have made more sense since it's well known at this point he has never been in a Wrestlemania main event.

Anyway the rule of thumb in wrestling for incidents like this should be to doubt everything, especially since they are desperate to get any sort of buzz on the net these days. My hunch is this is a work. Keep him off the telly for a while and get a few CM Punk chants going.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Not gonna lie I laughed at this;

Ryan Reeves ‏@Ryback22 8m
    I call dibs on GTS, Pepsi Plunge and running knee in corner. I am sure Sheamus will take the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

I thought the opposite. To me Bryan vs HHH made far more sense considering Hunter cost Bryan the title to Orton way back at Summerslam. Add into the equation Bryan's history with Michaels and I would have thought Bryan vs HHH should have been the direction all along.

To me Punk vs Orton for the title would have made more sense since it's well known at this point he has never been in a Wrestlemania main event.

Anyway the rule of thumb in wrestling for incidents like this should be to doubt everything, especially since they are desperate to get any sort of buzz on the net these days. My hunch is this is a work. Keep him off the telly for a while and get a few CM Punk chants going.

Definitely seems like a work, just to mess with the smarks, (Something Punk is certainly know for) Plus the casuals will just think that Punk is injured after the Rumble.. Wasnt it reported in the Newz sites a few months back that WWE was planning a "Summer of Punk" part 2.. Seems like an apt way to kick it off to be honest.

If it's a work why haven't WWE mention it with on their website, in a storyline, anything?

No official or "worked" announcement by the WWE is proving to me they're in a panic over his walk out and were not expecting it/planning it.

Wrestling fans will believe what they want to believe,

Like every year the topic of HBK coming out of retirement for one more match at WM pops up, never going to happen, HBK said so himself.

Or Bryan to win the Rumble when it was clear that WWE had picked Batista for that role weeks ago.

It's time to give up the chase, if this was a work, they would have made reference to it on Raw.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

You are right they will believe what they want. Some will choose to believe it's real as Devitt, others will believe that they shouldn't believe anything at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

HBK didn't injure his back in that match. It was at a later date, during a casket match with Taker(think it was at the Rumble ). Kane, as well as DX interfered. So, the seeds of Team Hell No were set that night

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'd say it's real for now, but will be sorted out and they'll turn it into a storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I agree with the sentiment....it's just hard to support it when Punk is making it.

He complained about part timers when the Rock headlined Wrestlemania...had no issue when he main evented last years Rumble with the Rock...and now has an issue again because he is losing out. I am sure he will peddle some rubbish about how he wants what is best for the business though.

Hopefully WWE leave him at home it sinks in that he is not as good as he thinks he is.

And he has wanted Austin to come back for years for one more watch, against him obviously. I guess he's against part-timers when it doesn't benefit him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Richie Gray should stick to the rugby

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I'd say it's real for now, but will be sorted out and they'll turn it into a storyline.

Yeah, agreed here. The nature of these things is we'll never 100% be certain. Cause even if Punk comes back next week or the week after, they'll pass it off as story.

Yeah, agreed here. The nature of these things is we'll never 100% be certain. Cause even if Punk comes back next week or the week after, they'll pass it off as story.

And if Punk never comes back we'll take it, it was real ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Big Dave got to AJ then so!

In all seriousness,Punk has been half assing it for nearly a year now in ring and on the mic and could definitely use the time off.He won't be that missed at Mania either if the plan was for him to feud with HHH.Was seriously not looking forward to weeks of him and HHH using each others real names and accusing each other of inside sh!te 90% of the audience doesn't give a crap about in their promos.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Loughc wrote: »
    If it's a work why haven't WWE mention it with on their website, in a storyline, anything?

No official or "worked" announcement by the WWE is proving to me they're in a panic over his walk out and were not expecting it/planning it.

Wrestling fans will believe what they want to believe,

Like every year the topic of HBK coming out of retirement for one more match at WM pops up, never going to happen, HBK said so himself.

Or Bryan to win the Rumble when it was clear that WWE had picked Batista for that role weeks ago.

It's time to give up the chase, if this was a work, they would have made reference to it on Raw.

Something you're all forgetting, WWE is a public company, if this was real wwe.com would be wishing him all the best in his future endeavours if he has actually asked for a release. There are stockholders, they will want to know if one of their major stars has walked out. For now its one of three things:

A) He has left and requested a release and WWE and Punk haven't come to an agreement on his release contract-wise from a legal standpoint.

B) He's burnt out, asked Vince for a break, Vince granted it to him and he'll come back in a few weeks making a big return while most internet people convince themselves this is all real and he'll be propelled into a major WM match.

C) He's gone home and broken his contract and could be sued every single way imaginable by Vince because his contract doesn't expire until June/July. But Vince is being sound letting him go home for 6 months until his contract expires and paying one of his top stars to sit at home while he could promote himself endlessly for other promotions until his contract expires.

A and B are very possible yet everyone seems to be jumping towards option C even though it's completely ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Snippets of him in one of his last interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Manning3000

Mokuba wrote: »

Snippets of him in one of his last interviews.

He is not wrong in anything he said there, especially about booking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

WWE have stopped following him on Twitter apparently.I'm leaning more and more towards this being a work now tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,295 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's probabaly been said before but has he "Lost his smile" :)

lost_smile_hbk.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭mikey13

There's a lot of fake AJ tweets being shown as confirmation he's done with WWE, Ive seen about 3 different 'deleted' tweets supposedly from AJ

Advertisement