Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom NGB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

It's unacceptable. I had 11Mbps this morning and now I have 0.4Mbps right now, all bf4 pings to european servers are over 180ms.

Really thinking of switching to sky. Anyone have any good experiences with sky for broadband?

I'm with Sky. It'll make no difference who you're with. It's Eircom's fault. Have a gander here and fill it in. We need as many people as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

vishal wrote: »
    Nuxxx had you complained to comreg in the past?

Yeah a good few days ago, all I got was a generic email saying they got my complaint but haven't heard back from them

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

It's 6PM on a Saturday, surely that's peak time right?

3292276793.png

9PM is the other peak time when stuff usually slows down the most, will update then.

It's 6PM on a Saturday, surely that's peak time right?

3292276793.png

9PM is the other peak time when stuff usually slows down the most, will update then.

Give it a couple of hours

Annnd it's gone.

3292707736.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭patrickc68

thank god i found this thread,,,can i say eircom are a bunch of arse holes,they would be better off with monkeys workimg for them,their sales reps,,their customer help and not all but the engineer that calls to my house are idiots,,and how can eircom get away with advertising speeds up to 8 mb and then only provide 3 mb on a good day,,why can't i pay my bill like they provide there broadband.like give them 15%of my bill every month,,,its robbing people and getting away with it.and how come the first couple of months are great ,,then turns to ****,,have they got a big switch they pull to f**k everything up,,engineer calls to my house tell s me it is internal line is working fine,,i disconnect every thing its still the same,same idiot comes back and says disconnect your phone,,why shuold i i'm paying for it too,,he comes back a thrid time and says he can't find a fault on line,,i tell an engineer comes out last year and found a fault in the manhole a hundred meters from my house,guess what the dumb **** says to me,,,WHAT MAN HOLE,,,how could he have checked the line properly if he did'nt even know about the manhole,,srry for goin on but eircom are theiving bastards,if i did not pay my bill they would be out to cut me off,,but i can't get a refund for their bad service,,and what can you do if you want bb they have you by the bollox,,sorry for ranting,,i hope the mods publish this,,

Don't know why they even bother sending out engineers for this problem, it is clearly over-subscription and the only way of fixing it is by increasing the bandwidth to the exchange.

Anyway an engineer came out today and he plans to fix a few problems in the house and outside on the road come Monday which is nice, obviously it's not going to fix the congestion issue, but it will help with my attenuation and sn margin a little bit. I think most of the engineers are nice and helpful, nothing they can do about the issue from our premises though, and the gob****es in tech support keep sending them out, increasing queue times for people who actually need an engineer on premises.

I think we just have to complain on here (because you will get no where complaining to tech support and they'll just send out an engineer) and wait the issue out.

really wish they'd fix the problems to Germany, been going on since September, 5 months and no change. they get away with murder

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi guys,
    While taking the OP's request NOT to move the thread to the Eircom Talk to Forum, Eircom have also asked if they could post here in response to the thread.

Having spoken to the Mods who are happy for this to happen if it will help you guys in any way, we are going to allow Tony from Eircom to post a reply to you regarding this issue.

Just giving you the heads up before he posts here later on.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Thank Niamh / Mods
    Basically due to the number of post here and on our own thread we though we should advise of our response to the issues raised here...
    While it is frustrating to have received no clear explanation to your posts I can absolutely advise that we have taken all relevant information we could from your posts and PM's, including line numbers when available, specific comments on times and areas, location of local exchanges and quite a few trace routes.
    We have passed this to the highest technical and network level and these issues are being investigated.

The posts mention two issues.

The argument put by many here is of a general network congestion issue, which will have to be investigated on a case by case basis (at local exchange level) if an issue is identified, this will be scheduled for a works order. But this does take time.
    In the case of the trace routes sent in to this and the eircom forum. A few of these do seem to indicate a possible issue between our London servers and DECIX which is being investigated.
    Traceroute indicates packet loss on core routers, but depending on the routers, this can be a case of t dropping traceroute packets, not actual TCP/UDP traffic. It does mean a thorough investigation is necessary.

We understand that many of you have already reported this to broadband tech support and not had a clear answer or had issue resolved, but reporting these does helps us in gathering technical and system tested information, along with establishing a pattern, ie times and geographical location.

I do have to point out that in investigating some of these cases we have been able to rule out congestion, and identified other factors.

It is for these reason we ask that you call tech support (if not already done so) have them troubleshoot issue and if not able to resolve, then to open a technical fault ticket.

If you PM us with this ref, we can add to the cases we have already highlighted and hopefully get information for you.

We understand that slow speeds can cause enormous frustration, especially to those working from home, though we cannot at this time offer more information on the posts raised here, eircom have given this issue priority.

We hope that we can post results or actions taken on this issue soon. We would post this to our own eircom Boards.ie thread and to this thread here.

We apologies we cannot promise an immediate answer, but will do our best to get this as fast as possible.

Tony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Hi Tony
    What about people experiencing congestion issues but are with other ISPs? How do we log a technical fault ticket? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Thank Niamh / Mods

Tony

my issue is ongoing over 5 months now at the stage that i hear nothing back from anyone in eircom,promised that this manager will ring or that this engineer will ring i have heard nothing in roughly 5 weeks and still lucky to get 1.5mbs in the evening and still being charged full price for a shocking service.

it is clear to everyone in Trim area that there is a major congestion issue at the exchange except eircom,efibre is on the way and ive already seen threads on boards complaining of dropped speeds in the evening,until eircom admit that the exchanges are oversubscribed and they all need upgrading then it is just going to be the same until eircom do what you no you need to but wont admit.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

jambofc wrote: »
    my issue is ongoing over 5 months now at the stage that i hear nothing back from anyone in eircom,promised that this manager will ring or that this engineer will ring i have heard nothing in roughly 5 weeks and still lucky to get 1.5mbs in the evening and still being charged full price for a shocking service.

it is clear to everyone in Trim area that there is a major congestion issue at the exchange except eircom,efibre is on the way and ive already seen threads on boards complaining of dropped speeds in the evening,until eircom admit that the exchanges are oversubscribed and they all need upgrading then it is just going to be the same until eircom do what you no you need to but wont admit.

+1

Rolling out a bandwidth-hungry TV service with these problems, which seem to be affecting many exchanges in the country is compounding the problem.

I actually like the look of the eVision offering as a product, but based on my current evening speeds, and reports from people suffering the same low evening speeds even with fibre installed as jambofc has said above, I don't think I'd risk switching. At the moment, it's annoying having to cope with unusable evening broadband, but if the TV was dropping also I think I'd lose my mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

PauloMN wrote: »
    +1

Rolling out a bandwidth-hungry TV service with these problems, which seem to be affecting many exchanges in the country is compounding the problem.

I actually like the look of the eVision offering as a product, but based on my current evening speeds, and reports from people suffering the same low evening speeds even with fibre installed as jambofc has said above, I don't think I'd risk switching. At the moment, it's annoying having to cope with unusable evening broadband, but if the TV was dropping also I think I'd lose my mind!

TV service is multicast so its only one stream per channel to each exchange. On an exchange of 1000s of users 40tv streams are relatively very small.

Comparatively VOD services like Youtube and Netflix is one stream per users, so its likely thats whats consuming a lot of the backhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

ED E wrote: »
    TV service is multicast so its only one stream per channel to each exchange. On an exchange of 1000s of users 40tv streams are relatively very small.

Comparatively VOD services like Youtube and Netflix is one stream per users, so its likely thats whats consuming a lot of the backhaul.

in Trim after 6pm you have to let even a music video on youtube load first as it just keeps stopping to load up,shocking stuff and still being charged full price for a shocking bad service.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Makes sense, so one stream per channel is right to the local exchange? Good setup in that case.

YouTube here, and Sky Go etc. are unusable for me after 6pm, even though neither require that much bandwidth.

Makes sense, so one stream per channel is right to the local exchange? Good setup in that case.

YouTube here, and Sky Go etc. are unusable for me after 6pm, even though neither require that much bandwidth.

Yeah, as far as I know it should be one stream per channel to each exchange, then thats forwarded to each cab on its own feed, again a small percentage of the total capacity.

Its sort of similar to cable tv, they broadcast all channels at once down ever cable and then the set top boxes just listen to whichever stream. But in this case ONLY the channel currently in use goes from the cab to the house. Otherwise VDSL would be completely consumed with the tv streams.

Not that Im excusing it, but the congestion problems are probably due to the rapid jump in popularity of high bandwidth applications in the last ~2yrs. For the last decade the main uses were email and a bit of browsing. They use a tiny fraction of what netflix does now. Predictions for bandwidth usage a decade ago or even 5yrs ago may have been a little under now that we have 30GB console game patches.

Our household for example, 6yrs ago we would have pulled ~40GB on a very busy month. That number now peaks at 550GB.

Its now up to Eircom, UPC and the ESB to lay or lighten a sh1t ton of fibre or things wll only get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Its now up to Eircom, UPC and the ESB to lay or lighten a sh1t ton of fibre or things wll only get worse.

To be fair to companies like Eircom they've only had the last 20 years to plan and prepare for this.

pH wrote: »
    To be fair to companies like Eircom they've only had the last 20 years to plan and prepare for this.

"Hey guys we have this 300 baud modem that literally beeps and boops on the phone line, let's plan for ultra hd video streaming."

Not that Im excusing it, but the congestion problems are probably due to the rapid jump in popularity of high bandwidth applications in the last ~2yrs.

I agree with that in general of course, however I don't think that is the reason for the specific issues that a lot of people are having wrt evening speeds, in so far as Sept/Oct '13 seems to have been the point where a very sudden decrease in evening speeds occurred.

Had enough of phoning Vodafone support and getting nowhere, so finally sent a letter to Vodafone HQ this week which I'm also sending a copy of to Comreg. It's just ridiculous at this stage.

• Advertisement

I agree with that in general of course, however I don't think that is the reason for the specific issues that a lot of people are having wrt evening speeds, in so far as Sept/Oct '13 seems to have been the point where a very sudden decrease in evening speeds occurred.

Had enough of phoning Vodafone support and getting nowhere, so finally sent a letter to Vodafone HQ this week which I'm also sending a copy of to Comreg. It's just ridiculous at this stage.

Oh I agree, there's something bigger going on that nobody is saying anything about.

3337022227.png

My speeds still drop at night and ping times to Germany are still really high at peak hours. I quit complaining though, always the same generic answers. "This has been escalated" etc

Hi Guys

Apologies for delay in getting a response to the issues and posts here but we did have to gather a lot of data from your posts and to make sense of the issues reported.
    Thanks to the information provided here and reports to our broadband tech team there is currently an upgrade plan underway to identify and resolve any issues that may be affecting NGB broadband services.
    These improvements are expected to be fully delivered within the coming 3 – 4 weeks.
    We will post more information to the forum once we have this.
    We do appreciate your patience and hope that this investigation will resolve many of the cases reported here.
    Again thanks for your feedback and information provided.

Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Been saying the same rubbish for the last year Tony!

Fob people off for another four weeks when in reality it won't be fixed or will be fixed two years down the line.

Are you saying that everyone's broadband in Ireland will be fixed within four weeks? Are you going to fix every exchange in Ireland and wiring problems within four weeks

Are you giving a guarantee of this? So in four weeks everyone will have perfect Broadband with no congestion?

Hi yawhat!
    No, but as my post stated, these investigations and subsequent work are based on the information compiled on this thread and other threads on Boards along with posts to our own eircom forum. We have complied a list of areas where we have received multiple reports of slow speeds and any necessary work should see improvements in speeds there.
    Yes I understand that we have been saying that we are investigating this issue, for past few months, but we are now saying that sufficient info has been gathered to allow us identify areas, due to customer feedback, that may need work.
    I would imagine that many here will see improvements but we cannot promise everyone will see this.
    Tony

Why not improve the situation when one person reports it instead of leaving it months for multiple people to complain and ringing your customer service getting no where and getting engineers calling out to houses multiple times when the problem is congestion all along?

So in fact it will likely take much longer than four weeks. Eircom is a fantastic customer

Hi yawhat!
    No, but as my post stated, these investigations and subsequent work are based on the information compiled on this thread and other threads on Boards along with posts to our own eircom forum. We have complied a list of areas where we have received multiple reports of slow speeds and any necessary work should see improvements in speeds there.
    Yes I understand that we have been saying that we are investigating this issue, for past few months, but we are now saying that sufficient info has been gathered to allow us identify areas, due to customer feedback, that may need work.
    I would imagine that many here will see improvements but we cannot promise everyone will see this.
    Tony

Can we get a list of those areas, Tony?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

yawhat! wrote: »
    Why not improve the situation when one person reports it instead of leaving it months for multiple people to complain and ringing your customer service getting no where and getting engineers calling out to houses multiple times when the problem is congestion all along?

So in fact it will likely take much longer than four weeks. Eircom is a fantastic customer

yes - and he still leaves us in the dark guessing if our exchange is on the list of those that will be fixed. he really doesn't get it - this hasn't been a minor inconvenience for a couple of days - this has been unusable broadband for 6 months. We need more than a throwaway post on boards.ie - we need a detailed explanation, a proper timeframe for a fix, an apology and compensation. When eircom sold the NGB product they sold it as UNCONGESTED - and this means that other people's usage shouldn't affect yours - this has been far from the truth for the last 6 months.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im on the dunshaughlin exchange and problems here are real bad since last september from about 3 in the afternoon to about 1am, was getting 8.6meg earlier at 1pm today, it's now down to 1.86meg and will propably barely reach 0.5meg by 8pm this evening.

• Advertisement

WIll be a year or two or they won't fix it, same old story

Advertisement