Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congestion in Eircom (or Eircom resell products) - Are you affected?

Options
  • 06-02-2014 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Hi all. There has been lots of discussion in boards.ie lately (especially in Talk To Eircom forum) and all over internet ab. the congestion issues in Eircom network.

As now, i cant see any thread started ab. this, where we could see the total number of users affected.
    If you have an congestion issue (line is tested fine, broadband speeds are fine in daytime but drops in the early evenings, and you have Eircom or other ISP who uses Eircom infrastructure, and you are in NGB package) can you please reply to this thread with the following info.

Mods, if its not ok to collect this info, please let me know asap. Im intend to send this information to Comreg and Eircom if the issue is as large as i suspect. Thanks!

Please do the speedtest directly with lan cable, not via wireless! Please do not post any personal info, like email/phone numbers or names!

Your location/exchange:
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s):
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s):
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?:
    Was there any fault found in your line?:
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?:
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?:

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Your location/exchange: Tramore
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s): ~2 Mbps
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): ~1.5 Mbps
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?: No but local technician checked the line from the exchange, blamed congestion
    Was there any fault found in your line?: No
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?: Escalated with Eircom numerous times, eventually told "it's congestion, there is nothing more we can do"
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?: December 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Your location/exchange:Dunshaughlin
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s):9 mb/s
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s):1.5 mb/s
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?:Yes, 3 times
    Was there any fault found in your line?:No
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?:Was released from contract w Eircom
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?:Sep 2013

Currently w Sky, who admitted that its an congestion issue after investigating. Eircom never admitted that when i was with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Your location/exchange:Trim
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s):10mbs
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s):0.8-2mbs
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?:yes
    Was there any fault found in your line?:no
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?:no result still ongoing
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?:5 months ago

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057043309/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Your location/exchange:just outside kilkenny
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s):17mbs
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s):2-5mbs,high latency
    Was there any fault found in your line?:yes, and resolved
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?:no result still ongoing
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started? september

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057131313

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Your location/exchange: Trim
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s): 10Mb/s
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): 1 to 2Mb/s
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?: No, Vodafone is my ISP and they want €120 for half hour of engineer time - nothing wrong with the line imo given daytime speed
    Was there any fault found in your line?: n/a
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?: Yes, they say it could be a line fault at my house
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?: around Sept/Oct 2013

It's clear from others on the same exchange experiencing the same speed issues at the same time that this is not a line fault at my house.

Internet is unusable for any form of video streaming after 6pm until around midnight, and a lot of the time at the weekend. When the uncongested broadband (NGB as Eircom called it) came out first it was great - solid speeds day and night. Thing have reverted back to pre NGB speeds in the evenings.

My argument is that the product is simply not fit for purpose if services like video streaming etc. are completely unusable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Your location/exchange:Kingscourt
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s):9-10mb
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s):between 0.8 and 2mb but fluctuates a lot higher for brief periods but streaming video remains unwatchable
    Was there any fault found in your line?:no but technician showed me that the line is congested
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?:yes but eircom told me the line is not congested,their attitude toward me on the phone was amazing even had the cheek to tell me they were honouring the contract as i was getting 10mb at some point during the day.
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?:since december and i am only with eircom 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    Your location/exchange:Kingscourt
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s):9-10mb
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s):between 0.8 and 2mb but fluctuates a lot higher for brief periods but streaming video remains unwatchable
    Was there any fault found in your line?:no but technician showed me that the line is congested
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?:yes but eircom told me the line is not congested,their attitude toward me on the phone was amazing even had the cheek to tell me they were honouring the contract as i was getting 10mb at some point during the day.
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?:since december and i am only with eircom 3 months.

How did he do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

Your location/exchange: Newlands Cross
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s): 13mb/s
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): 1.5mb/s
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?: no (we're supposed to but never got phone call)
    Was there any fault found in your line?: no
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?: yes, just excuses
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?: Sept last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭DaveC85

Your location/exchange:Tramore
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s):+7mb/s
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s):Less than 1.5mb/s
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?:Multiple times
    Was there any fault found in your line?:Never
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?:Multiple times,given the usual run around
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?:November 2013

Great idea guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Your location/exchange: Roscrea
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s): 10.5mbps
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): 1.5mbps - 3.5mbps
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?: No
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?: Yes. Told it was a congestion issue eventhough the exchange is NGB enabled.
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?: November 2013

...was with Vodafone when it started and moved to Sky in Jan 2014 which made no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gary_walsh17

Your location/exchange: Tramore
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s): 9-10Mbps
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): 0.5-2.5Mbps
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?: No, local Eircom technician checked the line from the exchange, blamed congestion also
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?: Escalated with Vodafone, awaiting response
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?: September/October 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

How did he do that?

He plugged in his hand held device andshowed me on the screen where it said congested.
    he said there was no problem with the line and i was right when i told him before he plugged in the device i thought it was congestion..yet eircom deny the line is congested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

O'Prez wrote: »
    Your location/exchange: Roscrea
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s): 10.5mbps
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): 1.5mbps - 3.5mbps
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?: No
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?: Yes. Told it was a congestion issue eventhough the exchange is NGB enabled.
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?: November 2013

...was with Vodafone when it started and moved to Sky in Jan 2014 which made no difference. Have a new contract with Eircom starting in the next few days only because they're rolling out fibre in my area soon though I doubt it'll make any difference to my speeds in the meantime but if it does I'll post results here.
    The lovely people at eircom have pushed Roscrea back to June now Sean ! Grrrr!

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    The lovely people at eircom have pushed Roscrea back to June now Sean ! Grrrr!

Do you have some insider information our Jamie? The Eircom site says this when I input my number:
    eircom.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Sher don't ya know I get the inside track , whether it's good or bad. I know it still says April for us too but nope, Junes the latest but at risk of failure to meet date of June too or something to that affect

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Sher don't ya know I get the inside track , whether it's good or bad. I know it still says April for us too but nope, Junes the latest but at risk of failure to meet date of June too or something to that affect

For Jaysus sake. Out of the frying pan and in to the fire. Anyway we better shut up or we'll derail this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    He plugged in his hand held device andshowed me on the screen where it said congested.
    he said there was no problem with the line and i was right when i told him before he plugged in the device i thought it was congestion..yet eircom deny the line is congested.

That's interesting. I never knew they had a device that they could plug in and it would show congestion. Not quite sure how that would work... Anyone know?

Guys if any more of us are suffering from congestion then please post here. If there are this few getting comreg and the advertising authority is a waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

Your location/exchange: Kilconnell (KCL)
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s): 5.5Mbps
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): 1.7Mbps
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?: yes
    Was there any fault found in your line?: yes, (unrelated)
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?: still the same
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?: December.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭TheTacticsGuy

Your location/exchange: Murroe (Co. Limerick)
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s): Between 5 Mbps and 15 Mbps
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): 0.4 Mbps - 1.2 Mbps
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?: no
    Was there any fault found in your line?: no
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?: Just about to
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?: 6-7 weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Media coverage would probably be the best solution to highlight these problems. An Eircom rep said Eircom had ruled out the possibility of a international server routing issue despite many people having huge latency to mainland Europe during peak hours. 2+2=5

The problem is your average user doesn't even realise their speeds are bad. I have over 1000 Facebook friends and went on a bit of a campaign a week or 2 ago getting them to test their speeds and submit the results. 5 or 6 people did it. The majority of people just browse the net and wouldn't realise there are speed issues unless they are downloading. Even those that do may not be as tech savvy as us on here and the bulb wouldn't light up that there must be a congestion issue. There is obviously a major issue with congestion but your average punter just doesn't realise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

O'Prez wrote: »
    The problem is your average user doesn't even realise their speeds are bad. I have over 1000 Facebook friends and went on a bit of a campaign a week or 2 ago getting them to test their speeds and submit the results. 5 or 6 people did it. The majority of people just browse the net and wouldn't realise there are speed issues unless they are downloading. Even those that do may not be as tech savvy as us on here and the bulb wouldn't light up that there must be a congestion issue. There is obviously a major issue with congestion but your average punter just doesn't realise it.

agree most of my neighbours dont online game or stream movies/tv and told me internet was fine when i asked could they do a speedtest they were amazed at only getting 1mbs but didnt really care.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Eircom engineer rang me this morning, obviously VF contacted them about my line after my call to them during the week. He asked me the symptoms, checked the line and said there's absolutely nothing wrong with my line. He said there's a lot of similar reports in Trim recently, and that the same slow speeds (1Mb to 2Mb/s) are being experienced by others in the area. It's a network congestion problem - he said that lots of extra users have been added to the system over the past few months, but the exchange capacity has not been increased.

Nothing he can do basically, so suck it up seems to be the answer. The only upside for me is that my daytime speeds are fine (at the moment) which is the main thing in my case as I work from home during the day.

I expect similar problems when we get fibre broadband (which he suggests will be end of this month - he says all the infrastructure work is already done for that). I think it's just ridiculous that Eircom are allowed offer a TV service (which will chew up bandwidth) when they can't offer speeds greater than 1Mb to 2Mb/s to huge numbers of their customers. Comreg should step in and refuse them permission to offer services that will eat bandwidth until they can improve the network for all of their customers (and the customers of their resellers).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

jambofc wrote: »
    agree most of my neighbours dont online game or stream movies/tv and told me internet was fine when i asked could they do a speedtest they were amazed at only getting 1mbs but didnt really care.

Same here, my neighbour wanted me to fix a problem she was having a few months ago. While I was there I tested the line and noticed she was only getting less than half of her 1Mb's. I told her to call eircom to check the line because there was definitely a fault somewhere along the way. She never did because at christmas she called wanting to know why the Xbox live she set up for her kids wasn't working. I give up and I bet she still hasn't rang eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

Same here, my neighbour wanted me to fix a problem she was having a few months ago. While I was there I tested the line and noticed she was only getting less than half of her 1Mb's. I told her to call eircom to check the line because there was definitely a fault somewhere along the way. She never did because at christmas she called wanting to know why the Xbox live she set up for her kids wasn't working. I give up and I bet she still hasn't rang eircom.

"You fix my problem but I won't cooperate at all if you need me to help, I will just plead ignorance and call you a computer genius in hopes you do all the work"

-Every friend or family I have ever helped ever.

"Sure how can I stay on hold for 25 minutes and read this thing you have written down for me in plain english, aren't you the computer genius, you should be the one to do it"

-Another favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

PauloMN wrote: »
    Eircom engineer rang me this morning, obviously VF contacted them about my line after my call to them during the week. He asked me the symptoms, checked the line and said there's absolutely nothing wrong with my line. He said there's a lot of similar reports in Trim recently, and that the same slow speeds (1Mb to 2Mb/s) are being experienced by others in the area. It's a network congestion problem - he said that lots of extra users have been added to the system over the past few months, but the exchange capacity has not been increased.

Nothing he can do basically, so suck it up seems to be the answer. The only upside for me is that my daytime speeds are fine (at the moment) which is the main thing in my case as I work from home during the day.

I expect similar problems when we get fibre broadband (which he suggests will be end of this month - he says all the infrastructure work is already done for that). I think it's just ridiculous that Eircom are allowed offer a TV service (which will chew up bandwidth) when they can't offer speeds greater than 1Mb to 2Mb/s to huge numbers of their customers. Comreg should step in and refuse them permission to offer services that will eat bandwidth until they can improve the network for all of their customers (and the customers of their resellers).

There were similar problems with fibre and lots of complaints here. But nobody has posted in these threads for a week or 10 days leading me to think it may be back to normal. I checked a few times most evenings and I am getting my normal 47/13 from all speedtest servers except Limerick and sometimes Galway which can be in the 30's. I hope the problem is gone away and won't come back anyway.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057131609

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057123324

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057126655

NewlandsCross is due for efibre roll out in march. I will upgrade to that but if that doesn't sort out the problems I'm gonna scream

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Currently sitting here without broadband, was told I have to wait a week at minimum for an engineer, absolutely pathetic.

Your location/exchange: Tramore, Co.Waterford
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s): 8 Mbps
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): 2 Mbps
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?: Yes, currently waiting for another one, which they said will take a week.
    Was there any fault found in your line?: No, they said it was the exchange
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?: Yes, as said above, a minimum wait of a week before an engineer will come out.
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?: Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Your location/exchange: Tramore, Co. Waterford
    Speed daytime before 6pm (mb/s): ~ 12 Mb/s
    Speed after 6pm (mb/s): Anything, usually half of the daytime speed and dropping. 0.19Mb/s was the lowest recorded, usually between that and ~3Mb/s
    Have Eircom engineer attended your address?: Yes.
    Was there any fault found in your line?: Not on the line, between cabinet and exchange. Was repaired, problem still exists. Engineer acknowledged on both occasions we spoke there was a problem in the exchange that wasn't being repaired in the immediate future.
    Have you escalated the matter to your ISP, if yes, what was the result?: Yes, after various tests and trouble shooting they asked me to undertake, they escalated it to eircom twice. Hence the engineer call out. In the end, I went down the ComReg route and that's actively under further investigation by my ISP who are making contact with eircom to identify what the issue is and expected period of resolution. Acknowledged that it appears to be a problem in other places with congestion and it appears that eircom are fixing it with the launch of fibre (which has more bandwidth and takes the pressure off their systems).
    When did the problems with the broadband speed started?: November.

Advertisement