Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motors FAQ>taxation and ownership documents>Getting replacement documents

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

cgc5483 wrote: »
    Anyone know if you bring the rf134 form to motor tax office do they issue you with the replacement vehicle registration cert there and then or is it sent in the post?

They post it from Shannon. You get a receipt there and then,

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭bonelessbread

So I have a car with no log book the previous owner never got the logbook as far as I know the person who sold it to him it's still in his name I went to tax office with a form to get a new one but cause it wasn't in my name they wouldn't do it they Said the person's who's name it is in has to do it then sign it over to me is there any easier way to get a new one and have the car in my name

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Hi all. Hope someone can help here. I bought a car privately and the owner didnt have the taxbook(misplaced) and gave me a typed receipt and signed it etc. They said theyd apply for a replacement and then switch it to my name but still no sign. Is there a way i can get it changed myself? As i cant seem to contact who i bought it from i know it was foolish. Would appreciate any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mytime

https://www.motortax.ie/PSE/start.do;jsessionid=0aa0114730d8fc1c3b4602e24c83b939fb17d5947155.e38PaNaSbh0RaO0MaxmOe0?page=welcome

If you type the reg in here, you can find out if there's been a new tax book issued

• Registered Users Posts: 33 plaiboi

So, I bought a car in September. I still never received the log book, signed nothing when I bought it from a guy on adverts (stupid I know, but i'd never bought a car before and didn't really know what I was doing to be honest).

Two weeks go by and my car is written off by an uninsured driver on dodgey papers from Bulgaria. My insurance has told me that they'll pay out as I am fully comp and because the other car was not insured, it doesn't affect my premium thanks to the Motor insurers bureau.

They just need the log book and keys off me but like i said, i haven't got a log book. The guy isn't on adverts anymore and his phone has been off ever since.

I was on to Shannon and they sent me this declaration to send back to them.

Thing is I need the stamp of "a main dealer" declaring the chassis number, and I need a stamp from a peace commissioner.

Now, my questions are: who is a main dealer, how much do they charge, will they come to my house to look at the chassis number (the car is outside but I can't drive it), and finally where do I find a peace commissioner?

Any help really would be appreciated :)

• Advertisement

Main dealer is just a garage selling new cars. They rarely charge for this stuff.

Thank you

Hopefully the car matches the documents now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Peace commissioner http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/civil_law/peace_commissioners.html

If you can't get the car to a main dealer then I would expect to have to pay for their time and expenses to come out to you.

Hi, I got a peace commissioner and a stamp off the main dealer and sent the forms off.

There's something dodgey about this car though. I went on that link to check the registration changes and it seems a VRC was issued ten days before I bought the car off that man off adverts.ie

I was reading the notes on the back of the form I sent in and it says there's no guarantee of getting a VRC. They need to contact who I bought it off etc.

Has anyone actually been in this situation and had it turn out well?

• Advertisement

Have you verified that the car isn't stolen and that the chassis/engine number matches that on a paid history check?

A seller getting a replacement vrc before selling a car wouldn't be unusual.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Have you verified that the car isn't stolen and that the chassis/engine number matches that on a paid history check?

A seller getting a replacement vrc before selling a car wouldn't be unusual.

Hi, no I haven't done that. The car was taken away today by a man from AXA. I'm just hoping for the best now really :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 market777

Has Anyone had trouble getting a log book off a seller , i cant tax car because they never sent off log book and i lost their details ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

market777 wrote: »
    Has Anyone had trouble getting a log book off a seller , i cant tax car because they never sent off log book and i lost their details ??

You can declare yourself as the registered owner.

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-motor-tax/change-vehicles-owner
    Step 3: New ownership details will be processed

The new ownership details will then be processed and the documents updated.
    Note: If the Vehicle Registration Certificate is missing, and If there is no contact with the seller, the new owner must submit the Statutory Declaration Form to the Department of Transport, Shannon, Co. Clare. The Declaration includes garage certified details and the sworn date of purchase can be used as the date from which the tax is to be charged, no Garda stamp is required. No Rf134 needed. Statutory Declarations can be witnessed by a commissioner for Oaths, Notary Public/Practising Solicitor or Peace Commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So, it seems my tax disc is missing, and I'm wondering how do I get a replacement?

I only found out when a parking warden gave me a ticket for not displaying the tax disc, and as it's one of the things that I put in once a year, I'm guessing someone has nicked the current one for some reason. PITA, and a €60 fine I could do without, but need a new disc before I can park in my local village carpark again.

My local office will be Naas, if it makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

Hello

Apologies if this question has been asked loads of times before. I did search this thread and googled for a while but didn't see a straightforward answer.

I'm buying a 2006 car off my Dad. He has no idea where the "Log book" is so we need to request a replacement one from Shannon.

I downloaded the form: RF134 from motortax.ie and it asks you to tick whether you want to replace the Registration book OR the Registration Certificate RF101.

Which one should I tick?

Registration book
    or
    Registration Certificate RF101 ??

Also, it doesn't say how much it costs. Any help greatly appreciated.

Flex

Tick the one for rf101

New cert is €12.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lancelot970

Hi there

I am looking to have my car scrapped and as I have lost the log book I need to get a RF134 form stamped at a Garda station. The problem is I haven't taxed the car for a few months do I need to tax a car im intending to scrap and will the fact it would be in arrears be brought to attention at the Garda station

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Wouldn't have thought you have to tax it, however if it was not declared off road at end of last tax period, then tax office might try to charge you for back tax once they have been notified of destruction.

I am presuming admittedly that car registration/tax office are informed of scrappage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

edburg wrote: »
    Wouldn't have thought you have to tax it, however if it was not declared off road at end of last tax period, then tax office might try to charge you for back tax once they have been notified of destruction.

I am presuming admittedly that car registration/tax office are informed of scrappage.

No, motortax office can not try to charge OP for back tax.
    OP didn't tax his car, and he was fully entitled to do it, as there is no law in Ireland forcing anyone to tax the car.
    If you don't use the car on public place, you don't need to tax it, whether you declare it off the road or not.
    Only implications are if you ever intend to tax it in the future under your name, you would need to pay arrears.
    But with OP that's not the case, as OP is not intending to pay any tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lancelot970

CiniO wrote: »
    No, motortax office can not try to charge OP for back tax.
    OP didn't tax his car, and he was fully entitled to do it, as there is no law in Ireland forcing anyone to tax the car.
    If you don't use the car on public place, you don't need to tax it, whether you declare it off the road or not.
    Only implications are if you ever intend to tax it in the future under your name, you would need to pay arrears.
    But with OP that's not the case, as OP is not intending to pay any tax.

Thanks. I was just worried about getting it signed by the guards and them running a check on it and discovering it not been taxed/declared off the road.....I'm probably being over paranoid.

You're signing the fact that the docs are lost, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

all
    need some advice
    while moving the house last month, i lost my car registration document.
    i am not sure what to do?
    i can see there is either lost document or change of address option.
    should i first apply for a lost document?
    then after receiving the new document, should i apply for change of address?

You need to apply for the document, they'll post it to your old address, you then intercept it and do a change of ownership.

You can arrange for an post to redirect your post.
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Managing+Mail/Redirection/

Advertisement