Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think the Iona Institute are homophobic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Iona is a Catholic lobby group. Why are people surprised they hold traditional Catholic values?
    efb wrote: »
    If thru don't agree with homosexuality, why the problem with being identified as homophobic?
    Because it's not the same thing. Homphobia is an extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexual people.
    Some people are ok with gays but think it's not ok with letting them marry.
    Some people are against female priests, that doesn't make them "phobics".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No
    RobertKK wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with being homosexual, it is how one is born.

The thought police just like to term anyone with an opinion they disagree in this area as being homophobic.

Would that not be accurate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

No
    There is a wide argument.

the change in adoption laws which will be implemented before a SSM referendum has major loopholes that can be exploited by abusers of minors.

You and others believe we must trust the state to spot people who are abusers but not detected, and that in effect we must turn a blind eye to abusers who can abuse the system because it will not happen, even though I showed cases from both Australia and the UK, which people didn't want to discuss.

Then you talk about not having a clue, if you believe it applies to me, then look in the mirror.
    Except your own argument is in favour of abolishing adoption more than anything else. I look damn fantastic in the mirror, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Should his views be silenced???

No, they shouldn't.

He should be shown some examples of real homophobia in response to his childish hissy fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

No
    biko wrote: »
    Iona is a Catholic lobby group. Why are people surprised they hold traditional Catholic values?
    It's not so much holding them as using them as leverage for their own gain really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

No
    The thought police just like to term anyone with an opinion they disagree in this area as being homophobic.

You do realize the presenter on the show asked Rory who he thought was a homophobe? It's hardly like the first thing he did was yell homophobe?

No
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    No, they shouldn't.

He should be shown some examples of real homophobia in response to his childish hissy fit.

He was asked by Brendan who he thought was a homophobe? Hardly a childish hissy fit.

Hell he called everyone in the world a racist!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭AerynSun

No

Yes, please, I am still waiting for you to furnish that list of what constitutes the "genuine mistreatment of gays". Please do enlighten me.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭adrag

No

the change in adoption laws which will be implemented before a SSM referendum has major loopholes that can be exploited by abusers of minors.

You and others believe we must trust the state to spot people who are abusers but not detected, and that in effect we must turn a blind eye to abusers who can abuse the system because it will not happen, even though I showed cases from both Australia and the UK, which people didn't want to discuss.

Then you talk about not having a clue, if you believe it applies to me, then look in the mirror.

Just a reminder about that missing k from your username me aul pal

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

No

Straight people don't abuse children. It's only those gay weirdos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

No
    No, they shouldn't.

Homophobia, racism, antisemitism and any prejudices can be subtle and far more dangerous due to their subtlety, this does not mean that they are not bigoted viewpoints.

Daith wrote: »
    Seriously? I find most LGBT people on debates show a huge amount of restraint in not calling people homophobes and debating all points shown.

Seriously?

Take a look at how the poll is running at the top of the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

No
    Again, where?

Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome and even Ancient Ireland where divorce was permitted. They are just a few examples.

No
    No, they shouldn't.

Homophobia takes many forms being sodomised by a iron bar and being tied to a fence covered in paint and left to die is only one example

No
    Seriously?

This poll is a tv show???

No
    Seriously?

Lol this is AH on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

No
    Dude, proof-read. And there's a way of saying the above in much simpler English. They DO dwell on clichés and soundbites btw though (their own).

Manach never gets straight to the point. Ever.

No
    Yes they are homophobes.

They are also liars, bullies and cowards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

No
    Seriously?

Yeah, but come on, it's Iona we're talking about here. They're not exactly loved figures by anyone in the country really. At least 3 of their members have been shown up to be insufferable, nasty people.

These are the same people who had this, which is intrinsically homophobic by its nature;

He was asked by Brendan who he thought was a homophobe? Hardly a childish hissy fit.

Hell he called everyone in the world a racist!

You do realise Cowan is a self obsessed luvvie of the worst kind, and was trying to drum up some column inches for Mrs Brown's Boys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Are all abusers not able expose the current law? How will this change things???

The changes make it easier for two abusers who could be heterosexual men to form a fake marriage and pose as a loving couple, with a stable home to rear a child.

I don't agree with men adopting and fostering children, with no woman there.
    The think is in the church now in Ireland, having na child alone with a priest would be a breach of child safety and would be seen as putting an innocent at risk of false allegations.

Abusers will use the adoption and fostering services if they have no criminal record. My view is tough on men, but as a man I think child protection is more important that what a man may want.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Zillah wrote: »
    Straight people don't abuse children. It's only those gay weirdos.

That may be your view, it is not mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome and even Ancient Ireland where divorce was permitted. They are just a few examples.

They are all wrong examples.

No
    The changes make it easier for two abusers who could be heterosexual men to form a fake marriage and pose as a loving couple, with a stable home to rear a child.

The think is in the church now in Ireland, having na child alone with a priest would be a breach of child safety and would be seen as putting an innocent at risk of false allegations.

Abusers will use the adoption and fostering services if they have no criminal record. My view is tough on men, but as a man I think child protection is more important that what a man may want.

So you are more sexist that homophobic are all men potential child abusers? Una

Lol this is AH on Boards.

Yeah... point taken.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

No
    biko wrote: »

We're surprised by their traditional Catholic litigiousness rather than their liberal forgiveness.
    They're a particularly insidious right wing pressure group, masquerading as a charity no less, that have more influences from bible bashing American politics rather than actual Irish Catholicism.

Forget about turn the other cheek, release the hounds!

No

I'm absolutely astonished at your thoughts here to be honest. Especially given the absolute tragic story involving that cnut of a singer in Wales....

People can be evil. Straight, gay, men and women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

No

What makes you think women can't be child abusers?

No

What evidence have you to back up your argument? That crazy catholic lady that protected the Roscommon parents allowing the horrific abuse of their children???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

No
    They are all wrong examples.

Says who?

Advertisement