Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think the Iona Institute are homophobic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Thanks. Don't know how I managed to miss that. I wonder if there's any truth to it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

No
    diddlybit wrote: »
    They did, as far as I know. He said so on his Twitter account.

Are the initiating proceedings I wonder? Can't see Panti apologising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

No
    What a shower of cúnts Iona are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

No
    I feel like I am an 'injured party', maybe I should get damages too. Due to the recent events I am:

• Not represented by my State broadcaster
    • Had members of a community I belong to threatened (bullied, I would say) with legal action as they voiced an opinion
    • Can no longer use the term homophobic due to threats of legal action
    Hell, I don't even know what homophobia is anymore, but apparently a bunch of Catholic straight men know and I had it wrong all along

No
    floggg wrote: »
    Are the initiating proceedings I wonder? Can't see Panti apologising

Four solicitors letters arrived one week, another arrived a couple of days later. No idea of the content. Not the institute itself though, because you cannot defame an institution, just individuals.

As depressing as it all is, his Twitter feed is a heart-warming read sometimes, lots of grannies congratulating him on his remarks and reminding him that not all Catholics feel the same as Iona.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

No
    _Redzer_ wrote: »
    What a shower of cúnts Iona are

Homophobic or not, surely we can at least all agree on that one.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No
    So glad I don't pay for an Irish TV license any more, the thought of even a cent of it going to the Iona scum is absolutely stomach-churning.

No
    So glad I don't pay for an Irish TV license any more, the thought of even a cent of it going to the Iona scum is absolutely stomach-churning.

I know. I feel sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No
    Never get my money again

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

That's sickening.

Iona have effectively ensured RTE will cut out any criticism or questioning of Iona or their motives in the forthcoming debates.

You have to think why they only went after RTE, and not Panti who actually made the comment. If they genuinely felt defamed they would go after him as a matter of principle.

However, that would (a) have their statements subject to scrutiny before a court; and (b) not really do much in terms of controlling the debate around marriage equality and adoption.

Reading between the lines, Iona must be getting extreme pressure from right-wing catholic groups - certainly sufficient for them to generate this Press Release so quickly, and to be written in the tone that it is. It beggars belief that RTÉ did not have cogent legal advice as to the laws and defences to accusations of defamation.

As regards the Iona Press Release:

"If anyone disagrees with the gay lobby they're homophobic"

That statement alone is about as close to libel as the one that was broadcast on RTÉ about Iona. Section 10 of the Defamation Act, 2009, reads:
    10.— Where a person publishes a defamatory statement concerning a class of persons, a member of that class shall have a cause of action under this Act against that person if—

(a) by reason of the number of persons who are members of that class, or

(b) by virtue of the circumstances in which the statement is published,

the statement could reasonably be understood to refer, in particular, to the member concerned.

I would suggest that Panti should seek legal advice on the application of the above section to the Press Release issued by the Iona Institute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

No
    On the bright side, there will now be a lot of people who were unaware of, or indifferent towards the Iona Institute who will dislike them instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

No
    What I can't understand is that the Iona crowd get to define what homophobia is but not Panti?

No
    Daith wrote: »
    What I can't understand is that the Iona crowd get to define what homophobia is but not Panti?

It's because deep down, we all know they're the true victims... or something

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

No
    I remember when there was a Lynx ad launched a number of years ago where a woman drops an orange and a man drops to pick it up and the Lynx effect causes them to share a glance before he saunters off with his male partner. Nice to see such things acknowledged..

But what I also recall is on RTE's equivalent of points-of-view. Some viewer wrote in complaining about how RTE showed this filth and they should be ashamed of showing something so ungodly. RTE (think it was Marty Whelan at the time) apologised to the man, saying they had no control over the content of the ad and were sorry for upsetting man. They apologised to the blatant homophobe. Really said a lot about what sort of a broadcaster they were. I'd like to think that's no longer the case but something like this is discouraging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

No

Deeper pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No
    Nodin wrote: »
    Deeper pockets.

Closer to god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

No
    The majority would love to be able to place minorities in a box and tell them what and what not they are, do, say.

RTE have paid the Iona institute compensation for the remarks made. It's awful funny, but it's no joke.

http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=ff0e987b97d2fcfad2787f607&id=77e4ec27d3

An utter shock and a fúcking disgrace.

This just shows bullies that they can do what they want on a state broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

No
    Sincerely hoping for audience protests at any RTE show that has Iona on in the future.

Absolutely disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

No
    eorpach wrote: »
    Reading between the lines, Iona must be getting extreme pressure from right-wing catholic groups - certainly sufficient for them to generate this Press Release so quickly, and to be written in the tone that it is.

"If anyone disagrees with the gay lobby they're homophobic"

That statement alone is about as close to libel as the one that was broadcast on RTÉ about Iona. It beggars belief that RTÉ did not have cogent legal advice as to the laws and defences to accusations of defamation.

From RTE's perspective, they are probably happy to make the apology, pay a small amount and move on - and not be embroiled in a prolonged legal case about something they didn't actually say themselves.

Given the mess they got themselves into when defaming that missionary priest a while back they probably just want to cut and run.

Unfortunately it plays right into the hands of Iona as now RTE will be quick to censure the pro-equality side if it even looks like criticism of Iona, while giving free reign to Iona to make offensive statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

No
    Where do adopting parents get their kids these days? Is it mostly abroad or are there many domestic adoptions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No

Unfortunately it plays right into the hands of Iona as now RTE will be quick to censure the pro-equality side if it even looks like criticism of Iona, while giving free reign to Iona to make offensive statements.
    This is a problem. Iona are now setting the terms and tone of the debate.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

No
    This is a problem. Iona are now setting the terms and tone of the debate.
    Especially considering past remarks Iona and the people representing have made without any hint of resistance, not just on gay marriage, on many other issues.

I can't believe this is going on in this day and age, I really can't.
    Accusations of ‘homophobia’, which are made with great regularity in the debate about same-sex marriage and adoption, are precisely an attempt to demonise and impute the worst of motives to those who believe that marriage is the sexual and emotional union of a man and a woman by definition, and that children deserve the love of both a mother and a father whenever possible.
    This is straight up propoganda. Rory already explained very clearly the context of his usage of the word.

No
    Sure you're not allowed to call someone a homophobe here either, even if they are in every sense of the word.

The same doesn't apply to the word bigot or racist though. Idiotic to say the least if you're only stating fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

No
    From RTE's perspective, they are probably happy to make the apology, pay a small amount and move on - and not be embroiled in a prolonged legal case about something they didn't actually say themselves.

Given the mess they got themselves into when defaming that missionary priest a while back they probably just want to cut and run.

To an extent I understand RTE wanting this behind them and to move on before it becomes a bigger issue. However they have set a number of precedents for themselves.

Firstly is the Saturday night show not live? If so how can RTE honestly be accountable for the opinions of a guest. I agree with panti's sentiment and RTE can take due care, but they can't be expected to control conversation. They rolled over here big time and in doing so they have shown themselves to be absolutely spineless.

Secondly how likely is it that someone is going to be willing to question institutions/persons such as the Iona institute in future. Not very. So it's censorship by way of looking to avoid confrontation. As if RTE discussions could become anymore monotonous, without now offering apologies to anyone who may take offence and warning guests not to be "controversial".

The worst thing about the Iona institute and their ilk is that they never fly under their true flag. They say one thing while meaning another and it's difficult to make a direct accusation because they cover their tracks so well. They have no qualms about invading the lives of thousands of people in this country and lobbying against them, but immediately onto their solicitors when anyone dares tell them their bygone era nonsense shouldn't be accepted.

No
    Well, I just launched off a very long complaint to RTE asking if they can verify if the money came from TV license fee or if it came from other revenue. Also had a little rant about representation.

According to their guidelines:
    RTÉ is obliged to provide a radio and television service which is available to all the people of Ireland. Its output should reflect the experiences and interests of all the people. Ownership of RTÉ rests with the people. RTÉ is the people’s broadcaster. What this means is that the public are entitled to expect in the programmes they listen to and watch views and values which reflect their own experience of life in Ireland today. To achieve this a range of views must be accommodated. This is the challenge facing programme-makers. As Irish society changes RTÉ must be sensitive to those changes. Programme contributors and the values found in programming need to reflect that diversity.
    I haven't seen much of this in the last couple of weeks on state TV.

According to their complaints policy, any breach of the guidelines can be complained about.
    RTÉ exists to provide quality public service programmes on radio and television. The public pays a licence fee to receive these services. The standards we set for ourselves can be found in our RTÉ's Programme Standards and Guidelines 2008 .

The Catholic far right are the only people paying their license fee.

I'm not holding my breath for a reply.

No
    complaints@rte.ie if anyone else is shocked at how their €160 is being spent.

No
    RTE are 'refusing to comment.'

http://www.thejournal.ie/rte-no-comment-damages-saturday-night-show-1287287-Jan2014/?utm_source=twitter_self
    RTÉ SAID IT will not be commenting on a claim from the Iona Institute that damages are to be paid to individuals as a result of comments made by a guest on the Saturday Night Show.

Last Saturday night, Brendan O’Connor, the host of the show, apologised for any “upset or distress” caused to journalist and broadcaster John Waters, Breda O’Brien and some members of the Iona institute, by comments made by a guest suggesting that they “are homophobic”.

The guest in question was Rory O’Neill, who performs as Panti and who appeared on the show two weeks ago and spoke about his thoughts on homophobia in Ireland.

The episode of the Saturday Night Show that featured the interview with O’Neill was removed from the RTÉ Player for a period of time. When it was replaced, part of O’Neill’s interview had been cut.

RTÉ said that the show had been removed from the player “due to potential legal issues”.

Today, an email to Iona Institute supporters said that RTÉ “has also agreed to pay damages to the injured parties”, Breda O’Brien, the Iona Institute and John Waters.

The institute said: “It should be noted that no-one can ever point to a quote from The Iona Institute that can be [sic] any stretch be called genuinely abusive or ‘homophobic’”.

The Iona Institute said it receives “abusive and even threatening phone calls and emails from those opposed to our point of view”.

When asked about the claim that damages were paid over the guest’s comments on the Saturday Night Show, an RTÉ television spokesperson said that RTÉ would not be commenting on the Iona Institute email.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,289 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No
    As they are using licence fee money, RTE should tell us how much was paid.

I suppose the Christians will giving the money they got to charity?

No

Well, I hope the money makes them feel less 'injured'. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

No

....its all rather mental. Certainly Waters is on record with clearly homophobic remarks over the years.

Advertisement