Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you think my electricity bill will cost?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

djimi wrote: »
    We found storage heaters to be dreadfully expensive. Ran one for a few months and then ran a plug in electric heater for the same period the next year, and there was at least €100 in the difference in the bills.

Storage heaters are also next to useless if the apartment is vacant during the day, as this is when they let out the heat. Fine for a 9-5 office, but not much use when you get home at 6 and the thing is more or less spent.

This is what I am finding with the storage heater. Nice and warm in the morning but by the time I am home in the evening almost no heat left in the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This is what I am finding with the storage heater. Nice and warm in the morning but by the time I am home in the evening almost no heat left in the thing.

Turn the output as low as you can during the day, and then up again when you get home in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Turn the output as low as you can during the day, and then up again when you get home in the evening.

Makes no odds really. I use a storage heater in work, and even with the output set to 0 it is more or less spent by the time Ive gone home at 5. Its certainly not going to have any meaningful heat after 6pm when you would really need it in a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I had considered that just thought there ough to be a better way, like a timer or some such. Might give it a try. Just remembering to open it up each evening and closing it again before going to bed. Oh the joys.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

djimi wrote: »
    Makes no odds really. I use a storage heater in work, and even with the output set to 0 it is more or less spent by the time Ive gone home at 5. Its certainly not going to have any meaningful heat after 6pm when you would really need it in a home.

Your heater must be faulty, or under-sized for the room it is in.

We have 'em at home, always have some heat left by bedtime.

• Advertisement
Advertisement