Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour problems

Options
  • 25-01-2014 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My next door neighbour fixes peoples cars in his front drive and garage. Is there any way to stop people using their house and driveway as a repairs business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Why would you? It's HIS front drive yes?

If the answer is that it's unseemly, then please don't reply, it'd make me hate you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

gripphil wrote: »
    My next door neighbour fixes peoples cars in his front drive and garage. Is there any way to stop people using their house and driveway as a repairs business?

I need someone to take a look at my car - does he offer value for money?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

Has he got planning permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

We have a similar problem cars taken apart some with no wheels sitting on bricks it's disgusting to look at

I honestly don't get why a car with no wheels would suddenly be disgusting.... just don't look down?

• Advertisement

I honestly don't get why a car with no wheels would suddenly be disgusting.... just don't look down?

A car with no wheels and the engine ripped out sitting on bricks is littering my opinion it no longer drives so what's it there for only to litter the place

PucaMama wrote: »
    A car with no wheels and the engine ripped out sitting on bricks is littering my opinion it no longer drives so what's it there for only to litter the place

That's a bit different from what the OP was describing, and while leaving a car for a few months would be unsightly, it's still not really litter if it's on their own property.

The op is taking issue with someone having a job to do and using their own property to do it.

That's a bit different from what the OP was describing, and while leaving a car for a few months would be unsightly, it's still not really litter if it's on their own property.

The op is taking issue with someone having a job to do and using their own property to do it.

These people are dismantling cars and working on cars. I don't think it's legal to run a garage from a house? Maybe op should get legal advice. Or find out who the landlord is if they rent.

These people are dismantling cars and working on cars. I don't think it's legal to run a garage from a house? Maybe op should get legal advice. Or find out who the landlord is if they rent.

How would that not be legal? Unless the cars are stolen it's legal.

Do I need some sort of permit when I work on my motorbike now?

Trying to stop people being proactive and making money, class act. :)

Running a business from his home if he's working on other people's cars for money
    Would he even be insured for it
    Or paying his tax

• Advertisement

Running a business from his home if he's working on other people's cars for money
    Would he even be insured for it
    Or paying his tax

Do you have information that he is neither insured or paying tax?

Or, actually more importantly, info that he's actually charging? Maybe he just has lots of friends with cars and enjoys working on them? :)

Either way, it's none of the OP's business. Just because they don't like how it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

it'd make me hate you.

Is that really a bad thing?? :D

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Is that really a bad thing?? :D

I feel bad when I hate people I don't know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

I feel bad when I hate people I don't know :pac:

Fair enough so. ;)

Do you have information that he is neither insured or paying tax?

Or, actually more importantly, info that he's actually charging? Maybe he just has lots of friends with cars and enjoys working on them? :)

Either way, it's none of the OP's business. Just because they don't like how it looks.

:rolleyes: typical 'ah sure what harm is he doing' attitude. Thing is a housing estate isn't a place to set up doing cars on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

If you are running a business from your house a: you might need planning permission and b: your house insurance may be invalid if you have not informed the insurance company of the business.

Op is he using his garage as a workshop if so he needs planning permission for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

:rolleyes: typical 'ah sure what harm is he doing' attitude. Thing is a housing estate isn't a place to set up doing cars on the street.

I'd take the guy fixing cars as a neighbour over someone like you any day. Get a life will ya

doing cars in the drive don't you mean? his own drive
    TOMP wrote: »
    If you are running a business from your house a: you might need planning permission and b: your house insurance may be invalid if you have not informed the insurance company of the business.

and what has that really got to do with the neighbours? One is a council matter the other is one for himself.

Busybodies really need to get over themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

How would that not be legal? ...
    Because to run a garage / motor repair business you need proper planning permission and a commercial premises, as well as licences to collect and dispose of toxic fluids, tyres and other waste.
    ... Unless the cars are stolen it's legal. ...
    Nonsense
    ... Trying to stop people being proactive and making money, class act. smile.png
    "Proactive" :rolleyes: why not stick "going forward" and "at the end of the day" as well to bulk out the post?

The fact it is a commercial operation being run from a dwelling house / private residence s what makes it illegal.

Reports to County Council, Revenue, HSE, etc. should soften their coughs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 snakeoilsales

Oh, how terrible, gawd help you.

Buy a yacht,

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Northernrobm

Neighbours, everybody needs good neighbours
    With a little understanding, you can find the perfect blend
    Neighbours, should be there for one another
    That's when good neighbours become good friends

Just a friendly wave each morning, helps to make a better day
    Neighbours, need to get to know each other
    Next door is only a footstep away

Just a friendly wave each morning, helps to make a better day
    Neighbours, need to get to know each other
    Next door is only a footstep away

No.... The rich Irish need stuff... they will sue their neighbours if they so much as breath on their lawnn...

Simebody has to pay for shylocks new teeth

No.... The rich Irish need stuff... they will sue their neighbours if they so much as breath on their lawnn...

Simebody has to pay for shylocks new teeth

So we're all unreasonable snobs if we want the area we live in to look nice :rolleyes:

So we're all unreasonable snobs if we want the area we live in to look nice :rolleyes:

Pretty much... Shylock cares about his appeareance...must be picture perfect...

Pretty much... Shylock cares about his appeareance...must be picture perfect...

You might be happy to live in a dump but most normal people are not

You might be happy to live in a dump but most normal people are not

Shylock has to rush to Brown Thomas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If the neighbour's fixing his own car - fair enough. If he's running a business from his home, then it is NOT fair enough!

Why should the neighbour's put up with one man's selfishness? If he's running a business, then rent proper premises with a proper pit and the means to dispose of waste oil/diesel safely and legally. I'd bet my last penny he doesn't do THAT!

And yeah - if he was affecting my quality of life and peaceful enjoyment of my home, absolutely I'd report him. What on earth makes him different to the rest of the mechanics/motor shops who have premises?

If the neighbour's fixing his own car - fair enough. If he's running a business from his home, then it is NOT fair enough!

Why should the neighbour's put up with one man's selfishness? If he's running a business, then rent proper premises with a proper pit and the means to dispose of waste oil/diesel safely and legally. I'd bet my last penny he doesn't do THAT!

And yeah - if he was affecting my quality of life and peaceful enjoyment of my home, absolutely I'd report him. What on earth makes him different to the rest of the mechanics/motor shops who have premises?

Yes, do make sure you report him...and don't forget to sue

Shylock likes stuff

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 robbiek01

If the car is taxed there’s no problem even if there's no windows in it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement