Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your esb bill like after christmas?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I'm living in Melbourne, I got a quarterly electricity bill of $978. Was gobsmacked.

The reason I installed a solar pv - AC Units are expensive to run...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

99 a month....pay that every month as an average figure that they calculated for me. Way easier to budget for that.

Mind you the gas bill was a healthy 442 for Nov and Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

I'm living in Melbourne, I got a quarterly electricity bill of $978. Was gobsmacked.

Are you running Australia:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Haven't got it yet. Should be horrible.

Bill for October/November was about 350 I think. That's gas electricity combined.

Sure this one will be much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

rubadub wrote: »
    If the heater has a thermostat it might be turning itself on & off and so not be the full 800W per hour.

It can be cheaper than other supposedly/presumed cheaper methods, e.g. some people will turn on central heating and have the entire house blazing hot, while they are only sitting in the same room all night.

Very true but 800w of heat is 800w of heat, whether the thermostat kicks in or not. 1kW of gas costs about 5c, 1kW of electricity costs about 18c.
    It makes no difference as to the source of heat. It just depends on how easily the room leaks heat due to insulation issues.
    For example, if the poster had every radiator turned off in the house bar the room they're sitting in, it's cheaper to use the central heating than an electric heater.

• Advertisement

Christmas lights (especially if they're the incandescent type) extra cooking everyone at home for longer, it all adds up!
    Just run an extension lead into the neighbours garage next year for your lights. ;)

Christmas lights (especially if they're the incandescent type) extra cooking everyone at home for longer, it all adds up!
    Just run an extension lead into the neighbours garage next year for your lights. ;)

Or bypass the meter.

I'm joking!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,977 ✭✭✭cena

250. On top of car insurances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

€245

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭prizefighter

Heroditas wrote: »
    Using a lot of air conditioning by any chance?

Nope no air con. I lived with 2 other people and I was barely there. I don't know what was going on but I saw tge bills and the power usage was insanity. Ive since moved out of that house, $1100 rent a month for a room in a house with bills like that on top was just way too expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭BlurstMonkey

360. Sharing with three others. Way too high. I know where it came from. Two of the lads constantly putting on this electric fire place in the living room all god damn evening and night when they're in.
    They wouldn't put on an extra layer, they'd rather be in there in a t-shirt or something pissing money up the wall. They won't just warm the place up a bit and knock it off, just leave it on until they're off to bed.
    Sound lads, and I hate to begrudge someone comfort in their own home, but then I'm paying for it too.

caustic 1 wrote: »
    €245
    I don't know yet, the superglue on the meter door is helping to delay the bill! ;)

360. Sharing with three others. Way too high. I know where it came from. Two of the lads constantly putting on this electric fire place in the living room all god damn evening and night when they're in.
    They wouldn't put on an extra layer, they'd rather be in there in a t-shirt or something pissing money up the wall. They won't just warm the place up a bit and knock it off, just leave it on until they're off to bed.
    Sound lads, and I hate to begrudge someone comfort in their own home, but then I'm paying for it too.

Get a plug in thermostat for it (or make one up), that'll cut the bill a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭anotherposter

Our bill at home is usually comes to about 150 euro sometimes around 160 or 170.

The esb bill came and it was 257 euro.

Anyways a got a message from my sister with my mother going into a fcuking raging fit blaming me for the high bill because I charge my ipod overnight about 2 or 3 times a week. 4 at the very most.

Never mind that it's right after xmas, it was middle of winter. An extra home for the holidays. All 3 of my siblings have tablet devices but it's just me and my ipod that caused the hike.

Would an ipod cause should a hike?

so
    xmas lights
    heating system
    lights on for more hours at night

wouldnt be causing the bill to go up?????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Usually €180/190. €245 for last two months

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

Haven't hot the bill in yet, but I read the meters the other day & they're just under twice what they normally are (eek).

Have been paying a little a week off the account & built up credit , so not worried about the bill coming in. Much more manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I had the radio on in the background the other day & heard a woman on & mentioned that her bill was huge compared to other xmas's
    & someone went thru the stuff she had on &
    then told her to ring up just to check with the provider again, sure enough she rang up, had said she lives alone & only had xmas lights on, as they provided enough light & they almost halved the price :eek:

I suppose if you don't ask, you don't get anything?
    In saying that, i haven't received the bill in yet!
    but at least i know now what to do if its stupidly high!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Didn't get one yet, think they forgot about me.:)
    Just got it now, €255.86

Average enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

€65 for October and November. I live alone and work long enough hours.

Go home to see the parents at weekends

I had the radio on in the background the other day & heard a woman on & mentioned that her bill was huge compared to other xmas's
    then told her to ring up just to check with the provider again, sure enough she rang up, had said she lives alone & only had xmas lights on, as they provided enough light & they almost halved the price :eek:

It all depends on what the actual meter says.
    They won't just reduce the bill for the craic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Our bill at home is usually comes to about 150 euro sometimes around 160 or 170.

The esb bill came and it was 257 euro.

Anyways a got a message from my sister with my mother going into a fcuking raging fit blaming me for the high bill because I charge my ipod overnight about 2 or 3 times a week. 4 at the very most.

Never mind that it's right after xmas, it was middle of winter. An extra home for the holidays. All 3 of my siblings have tablet devices but it's just me and my ipod that caused the hike.

Would an ipod cause should a hike?
    No- they wouldn't. If you look at your bills over 12 months you'll find that in Winter, you use extra heat (naturally), extra hot water (naturally), light (naturally), oven time, showers/baths, electric heaters, kettles/ dryers etc etc
    Couple that with extra people in the house/in home throughout the day on days leave etc- there's no surprise in your bill- take some of the above variables out mid Summer and the bill will be about 40% or less of that depending- everyone gets freaked out over Winter bills- it's usually coz they've no clue on what they're spending over a whole year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Heroditas wrote: »
    It all depends on what the actual meter says.
    They won't just reduce the bill for the craic!

They must have made a mistake of something?

As she came onto the radio just to tell people to check their bills & make sure, although you cant vouch for everything in the house, if its a lot of people, but since she said the bill was way higher than normal & she lives alone, maybe it was an estimate & not a reading she got, & that's how it was changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Myself and the other half live in a 1 bedroom apartment and rarely cook we got a bill for 66 days last week of €350 that's electricity and heating combined

We have a nibe boiler turns out there was a problem with the boiler but the bill has to be paid regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Just got my bill for the last 2 months...heavy use of a 2KW oil filled radiator, herself with the TV on most of the day, always use an electric tumble drier, "immersion" is never turned off...NT$1547 or about 40 Euro, there was a discount of about 10 Euro for using less power than the same time last year and it included about 25 Euro for public power (lifts, car park lights etc) so my actual personal power use plus standing charges was a staggering 25 Euro for 2 months...sometimes the good bits about living abroad really do outway the bad:P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,362 ✭✭✭✭ted1

To answer your question, the iPhone charger is 1500ma or 1.5 A *230volts = .345Kwh = 6 cents an hour when charging. a 2 hour charge time would mean 12c. Charging everyday would mean 84c a week or 43.80 euro a year or 7.30 per bill.

Was it a comedy sketch? Electricity is metered, they dint guess it arbitrarily, you pay for what you use, if its an estimate it may be over or under but the next read will realign the correct values .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

ted1 wrote: »
    To answer your question, the iPhone charger is 1500ma or 1.5 A *230volts = .345Kwh = 6 cents an hour when charging. a 2 hour charge time would mean 12c. Charging everyday would mean 84c a week or 43.80 euro a year or 7.30 per bill.

Actually the ampage is calculated at the very low voltage on the USB cable approx 5 volts.

The iPhone charger consumes 5W
    iPad 10W and only while charging.

Your estimate of cost is way way off.

0.005kWh * 19 cent = €0.00095 per hour

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Actually the ampage is calculated at the very low voltage on the USB cable approx 5 volts.

The iPhone charger consumes 5W
    iPad 10W and only while charging.

Your estimate of cost is way way off.

Haha very true, blonde moment. Its 5.1vdc as oppose to 230VAC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

My ESB bill gets very depressed after the Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

My mother used to blame my xbox on the esb bill.
    Turned out it was the house phone base and modem being left on over night.
    She found out quickly when I had moved out :-)

Advertisement