Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your esb bill like after christmas?

Options
  • 24-01-2014 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Our bill at home is usually comes to about 150 euro sometimes around 160 or 170.

The esb bill came and it was 257 euro.

Anyways a got a message from my sister with my mother going into a fcuking raging fit blaming me for the high bill because I charge my ipod overnight about 2 or 3 times a week. 4 at the very most.

Never mind that it's right after xmas, it was middle of winter. An extra home for the holidays. All 3 of my siblings have tablet devices but it's just me and my ipod that caused the hike.

Would an ipod cause should a hike?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Our bill at home is usually comes to about 150 euro sometimes around 160 or 170.

Anyways a got a message from my sister with my mother going into a fcuking raging fit blaming me for the high bill because I charge my ipod overnight about 2 or 3 times a week. 4 at the very most.

Never mind that it's right after xmas, it was middle of winter. An extra home for the holidays. All 3 of my siblings have tablet devices but it's just me and my ipod that caused the hike.

No, your mother is a lunatic.

You should get the freecharge app which allows you to charge your phone (iphone or android) without being charged by your electricity provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Charging your iPod overnight will only cost a few cent each time.

Christmas lights on the Christmas tree (if they're regular bulb type) will drive the bill up as will washing machines, tumble driers and the oven being on for long periods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I'd say you are dealing with an estimated bill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

oldyouth wrote: »
    I'd say you are dealing with an estimated bill

I got a similar bill and it was not an estimate, and the one before wasn't either. Usually around 140, but went to 240

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

yep, €220 here.. usually €140 or there about. I wouldn't have thought we used an overly excessive amount of electricity.. we are with Electric Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭cml387

You should get the freecharge app which allows you to charge your phone (iphone or android) without being charged by your electricity provider.
    Pity they didn't prop their iPad in the corner and use the Christmas Tree app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

What's your esb bill like after christmas?

Scary alright, but the wife pays it, and I pay the gas (which wasn't half as bad) :D

I presume ESB means all suppliers, and not just the ESB . . .

We get our electricity from Bord Gáis Energy, not esb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

156 euro, was expecting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Formerly lived in a crap built Celtic Knobhead apartment that ran us a majestic €500+ per two month bill. €552 was our best effort.

• Advertisement

We ran the gas off the electricity and the electricity off the gas and saved £400

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I'm going to build a water powered generator and let my tap power my house. My bill was over 200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

bills. ha ha ha ha

funny guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Didn't get one yet, think they forgot about me.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Angry_Mammarys

Tell her you'll be charging it in her head if she doesn't give it over :mad::mad::mad:

Seriously though there's noway an Ipod would cause such a hike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Put her in a home.

Old people :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Angry_Mammarys

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Put her in a home.

Old people :rolleyes:

With no windows:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Still waiting for the hell to drop though the letter box,worst bill of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

You could watch videos on your phone and have it plugged in all year and it would only cost you a 2 or 3 euro for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

220 for 3 months here

Genuine Question:

I am running a little 800w halogen heater in which ever room i'm in rather than the central heating. how much is this costing me per hour? i'm hopelessly slow when it comes to calculating this stuff.

thanks to anyone who can help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

220 for 3 months here

Genuine Question:

I am running a little 800w halogen heater in which ever room i'm in rather than the central heating. how much is this costing me per hour? i'm hopelessly slow when it comes to calculating this stuff.

thanks to anyone who can help :)

If you're paying 18c per unit of electricity, the heater is costing you 14.6c every hour it's running.
    Have a look at your bill and see how much you're paying per "unit". The heater uses 0.8 units per hour so the cost of a unit * 0.8 is what it's costing you every hour.
    It's an expensive way to heat a room

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Bill usually around €210/€230
    Dd the other day was €300:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Bill usually around €210/€230
    Dd the other day was €300:eek:

Jayus you must have a big household !

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭prizefighter

I'm living in Melbourne, I got a quarterly electricity bill of $978. Was gobsmacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'm living in Melbourne, I got a quarterly electricity bill of $978. Was gobsmacked.

Using a lot of air conditioning by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Lennyzip wrote: »
    Jayus you must have a big household !

Fookin dryer
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The guy called to read the meter on Wednesday, so the bill will probably arrive next week, dreading it. Fricking hate January.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

Download the Electric Ireland appliance app tells you exactly what costs what

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Heroditas wrote: »
    If you're paying 18c per unit of electricity, the heater is costing you 14.6c every hour it's running.
    If the heater has a thermostat it might be turning itself on & off and so not be the full 800W per hour.
    Heroditas wrote: »
    It's an expensive way to heat a room
    It can be cheaper than other supposedly/presumed cheaper methods, e.g. some people will turn on central heating and have the entire house blazing hot, while they are only sitting in the same room all night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

If you are getting a bill from ESB, something is wrong. They have not been billing customers for a long time now. Time to get with the program people!

Advertisement