Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool things manly men should be able to do. Mod note post#82

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Soothe a crying baby.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

MudSkipper wrote: »
    Almost forgot the most important thing a manly man can have....your very own stick to stir paint with... you're not a man if you don't have one and know how to use it!
    Funny enough MS, or not... I have a keen interest in ancient humans, particularly Neandertals. Anyhoooo many years ago when I was a kid holidaying in France I had found a few flint tools on the land of the farmer whose holiday let bungalow we were staying in. One day I see the farmer in his shed mixing up some epoxy resin for some job it required and what was he using as a stirring implement/stick? A Neandertal long blade type flint tool(it's actually more like a Neandertal Stanley knife). To him it was just a handy shaped rock fit for purpose, but he let me have it(with an oh so brilliantly French quizzical look in his eye at my odd request) I have it to this day too. Still with some traces of the epoxy I couldn't remove. Men; keeping the stirring stick going for over 50,000 years. Now that shíts manly folks. :D

*EDIT* I still have my long passed da's stirring stick in my shed. Actually that's another manly thing; the Shed(tm). A must have, where all sorts of odds and ends reside(in old cigar tins and such) and where all sorts of odd stuff can go on. Some of the best inventions of human history were dreamt of and built in sheds(The Scots in particular stand out in this regard). I'd say we could come up with cold fusion, warp drive and the cure for aging if we airlifted sheds to bored blokes all over the world and just let them at it with the contents of the average kitchen.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,355 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Change a tap

Drive a tractor

Clean the chimney

Install a stove

Seed a lawn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

A man should be able to set the clock on any device/appliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭jack of all

Repair a plumbing leak.
    Basic welding.
    Cut wood accurately, to the line with a handsaw.
    Cook a good meal.
    Teach your children same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    @ Midday the sun should be due south, 9 AM, due east & 9 PM due west.

Where do I get my Man card stamped ?

The only stamp you'll get its one that says FAIL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Kill, skin/scale/pluck, gut & cook the animal of their choice

Carry a bag of coal in from the car.
    Open a jar.
    Put up a tent.
    Make a decent camp fire.
    Use every household appliance.
    Have some success at fixing household appliances.
    Stick your nose into other peoples business and ask 'Is he bothering you?'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Install a stove

Bit niche, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

Use a drill appropriately.

The noise used to scare the bejesus out of me as a nipper. Now it's no bother, but I've friends and two brothers-in-law that can't handle one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Basic Italian cooking things are cool:
    - pizza from scratch, including the base
    - fresh pasta from egg and flour. With that you can make your own ravioli, tortellini etc.
    Sleepy wrote: »
    Soothe a crying baby.
    That was something I didn't think I could do, but was forced to at a friend's place a few years ago. It probably helped that the baby was only about 2 weeks old, with pretty basic maintenance requirements. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

MajorMax wrote: »
    Kill, skin/scale/pluck, gut & cook the animal of their choice

Does the father in law count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Juan_Mata wrote: »
    Every man should know:

-How a car engine works. http://jacoboneal.com/car-engine/car-engine.gif

-Poker hands. http://imgur.com/u2JhxPY

-The different levels of steak done-ness. http://i.imgur.com/vRxIl3q.jpg

And what if Every Man cant do any of these, or anything in this thread? Is he not a man? Not a MANLY MAN?

I think this is a horrible thread. Some men are not perfect, and don't/can't do everything that they "SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Fudge You wrote: »
    I think this is a horrible thread. Some men are not perfect, and don't/can't do everything that they "SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO".

Treat it as a bit of fun. I can't do most things in the thread either.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

And what if Every Man cant do any of these, or anything in this thread? Is he not a man? Not a MANLY MAN?

Yeah a lot of men can't/won't/shouldn't do most of the things in this thread. It doesn't really mean they are not men.

I would consider myself as manly as the next man and have no problem admitting that I can't do a lot of stuff mentioned here. I'm guessing I'm not alone here. It's a bit of craic!

FWIW;

Change a wheel (car) fix a puncture (bike)

Jump start a car

Cook a meal

Basic electrics - fit new socket/light fitting

Service a car/motor cycle/bicycle

Ride a motorcycle

Admit when you can't and seek professional help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

drive a manual car!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

BigDuffman wrote: »
    drive a manual car!
    TBF any Irish person who can drive should be able to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

It's a bit of fun, but I do think that not just men, women too, should have some form of self sufficiency.

If they don't know how to do something, find out, ask someone to show you, google it. There's a certain satisfaction to be had from fixing something that was broken

Order a dessert without an extra spoon, eat it all and not feel the need to ask anyone if they'd like a taste.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

pick up girls with one hand

pick nose with other

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Spark a match off the ground

stitch up a wound using a needle and thread

Bake your own soda bread

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Having the ability to throw nearby projectiles towards a dirtbag's head when he tries to do a runner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

(Post withdrawn - apologies for any offense caused.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Iron his own shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Pee standing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

smoke a pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Not going to go through 8 pages but...deliver a baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Burky126 wrote: »
    Having the ability to throw nearby projectiles towards a dirtbag's head when he tries to do a runner.

My brother did something to annoy me a few years ago and then ran off. I picked up a sliotar and thtew it at him. He was about 30 yards away but I clocked him on the head. My best ever throw. Never to be repeated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

The most basic thing is to sharpen a pencil with a chisel...

Command an animal and have it obey

Operate a chainsaw without the safety gear (stupid, but manly)

Hunt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Tie a bow tie

Wear a suit that fits

Polish shoes correctly

Know how to make a few standard cocktails

Know how to cut a cigar

Cook a medium rare steak

Unhook a bar with one hand...Two hands is only acceptable when you have two bars to unhook at the same time ;)

Chop wood

Start a fire in the woods

Grow a beard

Bench your own body weight

Can walk away from a fight

Be over 6ft :pac:

Advertisement