Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool things manly men should be able to do. Mod note post#82

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Do eight pull ups, in one go.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Squat ass to grass

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Hmmm, liking a lot of those ideas, particularly the more random ones. I'm gonna add two to my list:

1. Read maps.
    2. Whistle loudly using only one's fingers.

No. 2 is very important. I always feel slightly pathetic when I have to whistle for the dog through pursed lips when on a walk. Even he seems slightly embarassed by it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Shave with a straight razor.
    Be able to cook at least one good 3 course meal.
    Roll a joint/cigarette.
    Read a map.
    Open a bottle of wine without a corkscrew.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Shve with a straight razor also added to the list.

I'm glad to report that I can now tell the direction using the sun. In theory. Tomorrow I shall try it out in practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Tie a knot.

Make a fart at any occassion to break the tension and laugh

Cry when your football team wins the All-Ireland or a parent dies. (AND NO OTHER TIME)

Tie a tie.

Untie a bra.

Own a shaving brush

Be able to start a fire. (A neat trick is a full bag of taytos is the best firelighter known to man)

Kill spiders, or as I do, trap them and release them into the wild.

Refuse to watch chick flicks.

Grow a beard/ or a mo for movember.

Play guitar

Juggle randomly

Have a random favourite movie.

Be a shoulder to cry on/ hide in at scary movies.

Refuse to wear anything brightly coloured or garish. Pink trousers in Pennys/ Dunnes. Go F**k yourself. Only whipped guys wear that crap. That's why they are whipped. It's a woman's way to tell other women back off. What single guy buys pink clothes or anything fluffy. Get your Sh*t together dudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Einhard wrote: »

I'm glad to report that I can now tell the direction using the sun. In theory. Tomorrow I shall try it out in practice.

@ Midday the sun should be due south, 9 AM, due east & 9 PM due west.

Where do I get my Man card stamped ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Odelay

Nice knowing you.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

looks surreptitiously at watch. Covers watch with sleeve. Gazes at sky thoughtfully.. declares time with amazing precision. B**ches be tripping. Quietly thanks Crocodile Dundee...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Conduct an exorcism, in Latin. Handy if passing by any Hippy types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

Can do the below already:

Read map
    Tell time of day from sun
    Cook 3 course meal ( without recipe book)
    Build proper fire
    Change tire and other basic car stuff
    Fix bicycle (punctures, brake blocks, etc)
    Open wine without corkscrew.... push the cork into bottle :-)
    Hang shelves (level!) and other assorted DIY jobs

Must learn to whistle on fingers and how to kill dinner with swiss army knife :-)

Almost forgot the most important thing a manly man can have....your very own stick to stir paint with... you're not a man if you don't have one and know how to use it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Wipe your arse with a dock leaf.....extremely manly +20

• Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

MudSkipper wrote: »
    Open wine without corkscrew.... push the cork into bottle :-)
    Nope ;)

hint: it involves removing a shoe...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Buy one with a screw cap!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

Sleepy wrote: »
    Nope ;)

hint: it involves removing a shoe...

Well yes you can use the spike heel of a lady's shoe....

But am sure you have a different method and/ or shoe.,... so do tell ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Zackdickensdog

Program the sky remote, and by the way how DO you open a bottle of wine without a corkscrew?

2. Be able to tell the direction from the sky (sun, stars etc)

Is there a way to do that with the sun without knowing the time? Other than spending a while observing height etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Grid. wrote: »
    Cut down a tree.

Hunt your own meal.

Use a Swiss army knife

Undo a bra. With one hand.

Hug another man. ;)

There. FYP Grid. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

Show your 15 year old son some tricks of the trade, just as he begins to think your too old to be any fun.

Recent examples,

Walking on hands, skateboarding, rabbit catching skinning cooking, wheelies, tree climbing, fire lighting etc, the type of stuff my missus doesnt want him learning for some mad reason.

All still well in my capabilities and well ahead of him and im 46yrs old.

Kids nowadays have no idea of the fun we had. (and are still having sshhhhh!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Light a match using your five o clock shadow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Program the sky remote, and by the way how DO you open a bottle of wine without a corkscrew?

Lots of instructional videos to show you how but the basics of it is you take a proper soled shoe, place the base of the wine bottle in the shoe and hit it quite firmly against a wall. The pressure forces the cork out enough for you to grab it and remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Ride a motorbike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

Eat quiche.......
    Real men do apparently :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Know how to google and when to google. I've been in meetings where something is discussed with no-one knowing the ins and outs and the 30 minute discussion could have been resolved in 5 if someone opened up google.

Polish shoes. Doesnt need to be a spit shine, but know how to do it well. Though I recommend learning to spit shine.

My mum bought me a chefs blow torch and I've made a few batches of creme brulee, but back when I was a Marine commando Reserve in the Irish Defence Forces the best thing for getting a real shine on parade boots was Kiwi Parade Gloss, glazed with a chefs blow torch. The kiwi polish melts and fills in all the little cracks in the boot, and then cools and goes all shiny. Leave to cool, and then buff with a cotton cloth. Mirror shine. The method doesnt work as well for working boots. The smart way to do it is spin shine your working boots, and use the blowtorch for parade boots.

I dont walk through many trenches on my walk to work, and the blow torch method works well for the shoes I wear for work. Really glossy shine.

Stuff thats already been mentioned, wire a plug, change a light bulb, find and reset a fuse box. Its amazing how many people dont know how to do these things.

Cook at least one thing well. It really isnt so difficult. My signature dish is something I call Salmonella. Smoked salmon, cream, broccoli, butter, whiskey and tagliatelli.

It is divine and very easy to make. And looks restaurant grade when done well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Drive a mini digger, amazing the amount of work you will get done around the place.

Back a trailer using just the mirrors, none of this looking out the window malarky.

Build a stone wall.

Hang a gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Drive a mini digger, amazing the amount of work you will get done around the place.

Back a trailer using just the mirrors, none of this looking out the window malarky.

Build a stone wall.

Hang a gate.

All done of course without having your tongue sticking out the side of your mouth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Pick a lock.
    Calm an angry or frightened animal.
    Strip a wire properly using a knife.
    Do a handbrake turn.
    Open a bottle without a bottle opener.
    Be able to accurately judge distance by sight.
    Skim a stone along water.
    Speak a second language.
    Count money quickly by shuffling through it.
    Catch a flying insect out of mid air.
    Catch a fish with just a big pointy stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

syklops wrote: »
    208Cook at least one thing well. It really isnt so difficult. My signature dish is something I call Salmonella. Smoked salmon, cream, broccoli, butter, whiskey and tagliatelli.

It is divine and very easy to make. And looks restaurant grade when done well.
    And there was I avoiding these restaurants when I read about them having Salmonella. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I must be the most manly man ever - everything on this list I have done, except the pink trousers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Shave using a sharp knife

Advertisement