Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

camlinhall wrote: »
    Even with a stonking tailwind...4 and a half hours?

Maybe thats what she was annoyed about ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Europe vetoes Shannon airport tax break scheme (Sunday Business Post)

03:55, Fearghal O’Connor

The EC has vetoed a tax scheme designed to help build a potentially lucrative aviation services business.

Just bumping this post again.

Did anybody get the Sunday Business Post yesterday?

If so could you post some details from it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

camlinhall wrote: »
    Even with a stonking tailwind...4 and a half hours?

Yup, it had a block-block time of 5hrs 4 min. Having a look at flightradar24 it was doing over 600kts across the ground over Newfoundland. Landed at 4.40am Irish time, 6am scheduled

EI104 to DUB landed at 3.50am local, 5.15 scheduled

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Suggestion on another forum that EIR days are numbered at the airport, very number if its true.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Suggestion on another forum that EIR days are numbered at the airport, very number if its true.

What thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

So a poster ATC097 on pprune wrote: EIR SNN Base to Close!!

Bad News for the Airport & General Public with rumour that Aer Lingus Regional Operated by Stobart Air is to close it's SNN base from the end of November!!

Generally, I ignore such rumour posts especially when there is no source to back it up.

The most annoying thing about this however is that it is very plausible.

It is for all to see that Ryanair’s return to the Manchester route at the end of October has probably undermined the viability of operating an ATR UK base at Shannon.

They had great plans for 200,000 passengers in 2014 and 240,000 in 2015.

Though looking at the figures to date they seemed to have been well off the mark of achieving that in 2014 regardless of Ryanair.

328052.png

Can't help but wonder if they based a 200,000 projection off all flights being operated by the bigger ATR72- 66 seats (on the older variant). Quite a many flights were really done with the 48 seater ATR42......

Still, taking into account the astronomical prices and sometimes terrible reliability I don't think they've done too bad so far!

Can't help but wonder if they based a 200,000 projection off all flights being operated by the bigger ATR72- 66 seats (on the older variant). Quite a many flights were really done with the 48 seater ATR42......

Still, taking into account the astronomical prices and sometimes terrible reliability I don't think they've done too bad so far!

Honestly, I don't know how they expect to compete with the likes of Ryanair when their fares are €80min return, compared to Ryanair €30 return to Manchester.

Their only real market is transatlantic flights and markets where they have no competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

The older 72's have had 70 seats fitted for over 2 years now, but you are correct half of the flights were operated by the 42. Unfortunately the astronomical prices were due to the company trying to increase its yield.
    Carnacalla wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't know how they expect to compete with the likes of Ryanair when their fares are €80min return, compared to Ryanair €30 return to Manchester.

Their only real market is transatlantic flights and markets where they have no competition.

Stobart offered a day return option, the Ryan's do not.
    Their only real market in SHANNON is transatlantic flights etc, in Dub they operate head to head with ryanair on the edi, GLA, man, and BRS flights.

• Advertisement

shannon_1114_600_1.jpg

Shannon Duty Free is relaunched (Moodie Report)

The Shannon Group has relaunched Shannon Duty Free, reviving the name that originally stood over the world’s first duty free shop, opened at the airport in 1947. Shannon Airport has also partnered with Gebr Heinemann as full service supplier to the business.

That move will enable a greater range of brands to be sold and Heinemann will lend its expertise in areas such as merchandising, category management and shop design. A major relaunch event (with a 1940s theme to celebrate the original shop opening) was held on Monday night at Shannon Airport, and attended by The Moodie Report.

The relaunch sees the introduction of new signage, new products and a plan to introduce more efficient layouts to the store, as Shannon Duty Free aims to establish “a more effective, exciting and profitable retail outlet”

Gebr Heinemann Co-Owner Gunnar Heinemann said: “Gebr Heinemann is very pleased to partner and supply Shannon Duty Free over the coming years. As the oldest duty free supplier in the world we believe our partnership with Shannon Duty Free, the world’s first duty free shop, is unique and exciting. It is a very important milestone for our business and in our efforts to grow our footprint. We hope that our pioneering histories form the foundation of a great future together.”

Heinemann later said: “What I like about this partnership is the combination of dynasties, the inventors of duty free and a family with 135 years of tradition. And they are also wonderful people to work with.”

Gebr Heinemann will assist with plans to remodel the store in coming months, and to introduce new brands such as Chanel that are not currently present at Shannon Duty Free.

Rose Hynes: “We’re very proud to be joining our pioneering history with the commercial expertise of a world leader in travel retail: Gebr Heinemann. We have a lot in common: Heinemann’s philosophy is not just to trade in duty free goods, it’s to do business with passion.

We fully intend to recreate the spirit of innovation that typified this airport in the past, with Shannon Duty Free one of the shining examples of that. We’re pleased to have Heinemann as our partner and look forward to building a successful future together. And we’re confident that the combination of these two great duty free names will fuse into something remarkable.”

She later added: “We looked hard to see who would suit us culturally and we found the best fit. Heinemann brings a passion to the business, and brings economies of scale, more brands and a diversity of products, as well as their expertise in shop layouts. From next year you’ll see changes in the store.

We aim to set ourselves apart from the other Irish airports, and we’ll do that through the Heinemann partnership, with a different look and a different product range. We want passengers to remember their shopping experience at Shannon.

Helevetic Airlines service to Zurich now up for sale for next summer starting 16th may using their Folker 100 aircraft.

Times are a little different next summer, flight arrives in Shannon at 07:40 (Departing Zurich) at 06:20) and departs Shannon at 08:20 (Arriving into Zurich 11:30)

Interesting to have that returning for another year, I realise that Zurich is a big financial centre but I cannot imagine the load factors are very high, especially considering all return fares are over €300.
    I suppose there may be quite a bit of tourism traffic coming from the Swiss city.

I believe most the seats on the Helvetic flight are sold out to tour companies

Shannon has been added to the GermanWings search engine but Knock removed (No destinations listed yet). Should we be expecting an announcement soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

One thing that really annoys me and friends is the length of walk in Shannon now when coming off an AerLingus plane. It's a joke.

You come off the plane and go up one escalator and have to come down at least 4!! Whoever designed it was an idiot. I hope it's only temporary!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

So a poster ATC097 on pprune wrote: EIR SNN Base to Close!!

Bad News for the Airport & General Public with rumour that Aer Lingus Regional Operated by Stobart Air is to close it's SNN base from the end of November!!

Generally, I ignore such rumour posts especially when there is no source to back it up.

The most annoying thing about this however is that it is very plausible.

It is for all to see that Ryanair’s return to the Manchester route at the end of October has probably undermined the viability of operating an ATR UK base at Shannon.

They had great plans for 200,000 passengers in 2014 and 240,000 in 2015.

Though looking at the figures to date they seemed to have been well off the mark of achieving that in 2014 regardless of Ryanair.

328052.png

Unfortunately it is true. Announcement im sure will be made in the coming weeks. base to be closed after dec. Maybe the Christmas rush may change their minds to which the announcement will never be made and a lot of pissed of employees who have to think about relocating as of now. regardless of figures or not stobart air just dont want to be in Shannon by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

ulinbac wrote: »
    One thing that really annoys me and friends is the length of walk in Shannon now when coming off an AerLingus plane. It's a joke.

You come off the plane and go up one escalator and have to come down at least 4!! Whoever designed it was an idiot. I hope it's only temporary!!!

That's to separate arriving from departing passengers, there's a few issues with that. Look how many stairs/elevators are in stansted for example, when arriving off Ryanair. The length of the walk there and in most other airports is a lot longer also.

As for the journey itself, 1 up and 3 down escalators, all of which can be bypassed by the available lifts, but even the total walking journey from gate to customs, is still only about 2-3 minutes. Wouldn't have thought it was a big deal, most other airports take a lot longer than that.

I may of spoke too soon, just found an article in the Clare herarld

http://clareherald.com/2014/11/13/stobart-air-reviewing-operations-at-shannon-45456/

It looks very much like they are going to close the shannon base. Sad really, especially because they refuse to accept that they removed Manchester because of Ryanair.

Maybe flybe could take over the routes?

It does not necessarily mean the routes will end- they could be flown on W patterns from DUB/ORK base

It does not necessarily mean the routes will end- they could be flown on W patterns from DUB/ORK base

How likely is that?

• Advertisement

How likely is that?

Probably more unlikely than likely to be fair. Nobody can say except stobart themselves so we will have to just wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Two very contradicting stories there, one states the load factor was very high (Clare Herald) but the other showed that only 111,000 out of 200,000 had to been filled so far with only 3 months left, in which they wont get 79,00 passengers, especially with no Manchester service.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

I may of spoke too soon, just found an article in the Clare herarld

http://clareherald.com/2014/11/13/stobart-air-reviewing-operations-at-shannon-45456/

It looks very much like they are going to close the shannon base. Sad really, especially because they refuse to accept that they removed Manchester because of Ryanair.

Maybe flybe could take over the routes?

It's happening unfortunately. A mate is a pilot operating there. 21 days notice of closing given from last Monday. Relocation to DUB or redundancy.

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    It's happening unfortunately. A mate is a pilot operating there. 21 days notice of closing given from last Monday. Relocation to DUB or redundancy.

21 days is harsh.
    Looks like we may be calling in flybe.
    There is defaintly a market for a Scottish city as well as Birmingham and Bristol.

What are the bets Ryanair will now pull the Manchester service once they realise there is little hope stobart will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

21 days is harsh.
    Looks like we may be calling in flybe.
    There is defaintly a market for a Scottish city as well as Birmingham and Bristol.

What are the bets Ryanair will now pull the Manchester service once they realise there is little hope stobart will return.

As far as I knew, the Ryanair service was only relocation of a surplus plane from mainland Europe after the summer season ended and it would be going back there in the spring anyway.

But someone will step in I'm sure.

It looks like Stobart are "materials and labour" providers and their policy will be to move their planes and crews regularly to the most lucrative spots even if it's for short periods. While they might not have been doing too bad at Shannon, it's obvious they see better opportunities elsewhere.

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    As far as I knew, the Ryanair service was only relocation of a surplus plane from mainland Europe after the summer season ended and it would be going back there in the spring anyway.

The service is bookable for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Flybe have only just left SNN so how likely will a return be.

GLA and EDI failed from both SNN and NOC. They don't really operate out of BRS so that only leaves BHX and it will probably be FR who will take it up.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Flybe have only just left SNN so how likely will a return be.

GLA and EDI failed from both SNN and NOC. They don't really operate out of BRS so that only leaves BHX and it will probably be FR who will take it up.

Ryanair taking bhx up is unlikely in my opinion.
    Edinburgh was successful from Shannon and if it wasnt for the closure of the Shannon base it would be staying and Bristol's loss is not good but it was just new anyway.

• Advertisement

Probably more unlikely than likely to be fair. Nobody can say except stobart themselves so we will have to just wait and see.
    So now we know what Neil Pakey meant some weeks back, when he said their focus will be on route retention in 2015.

I really hope they can retain the Birmingham, Bristol and Edinburgh routes.

Advertisement