Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

mel.b wrote: »
    Are there any deals around for parking at Shannon airport or is it still as expensive as ever? Normally I have a place I park and taxi the last bit to the airport, but this time I'm only going for 4 days so it's not probably not worth it.

There is a new car park. €25 per week
    Or
    €5 per day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Park4less €25pw at present

Park4less €25pw at present

You must be my echo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Carnacalla wrote: »
    There is a new car park. €25 per week
    Or
    €5 per day

Where is the 5 euro p/day car park? All I see when I look on the shannon airport website is the long term car park of 9.50 (or 8.99 if booked online), Park4less for 24.99 and then the short term rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

then the short term rates

I put in 3 days in June using the link and got a quote of €18.

No idea about the €5.

Maybe its based on a minimum number of days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I just put a days parking into the quote form on the website and its giving me €6. Parking at 6am returning 11pm same day. So €5 is not far off!

mel.b wrote: »
    Where is the 5 euro p/day car park? All I see when I look on the shannon airport website is the long term car park of 9.50 (or 8.99 if booked online), Park4less for 24.99 and then the short term rates.

Well i worked it out. Every day after a week is an extra €5 up to a max of €50.

I presumed it was the same for less than a week. €6 is just confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Infra Éireann ~ Making Ireland Modern (7th of June – 23rd of November)

Ireland’s entry for the 2014 exhibition has been commissioned and curated by Gary A. Boyd and John McLaughlin. Ireland’s presentation ‘Infra Éireann’ chronicles the iconic and landmark structures which have formed the backdrop to an emerging and developing Irish nation over the last 100 years. Presenting familiar infrastructure in Ireland, on a decade by decade basis, it simultaneously captures the story of the Irish nation-building.

Aviation ~ Shannon Airport (1936 - 1971)

The siting of Shannon Airport on a river estuary near Limerick in the west of Ireland was originally decided upon by an international committee in the 1930s. At this time it was not clear whether the future of aviation lay in sea or land-based aeroplanes. The proposal of a transatlantic facility at Shannon was designed to accommodate both. It involved the dredging of the river to create a harbour for seaplanes as well as the draining and poldering of a wetland to create the conditions for a system of runways. The airport’s development gave rise to the construction of the world’s first Free Trade Zone (1959) and Ireland’s only New Town. The jumbo jet terminal emerged from this estuarine landscape as a steel frame between 1967 and 1971.

Shannon-Building-856x1057.jpg

The General Development Plan from 1936 shows five piers for the transatlantic flying boat planes to dock. :cool:

More about Ireland at Venice see link.

Sunday peace vigil at Shannon (Limerick Post)

SHANNONWATCH has issued notice of its latest vigil for peace, to take place at the Shannon Airport roundabout next Sunday 8 from 2pm to 3pm.

A statement from the pro-peace activists states: “As the US and NATO use the situation in Ukraine as an opportunity to raise their defence budgets, and Obama seeks to ramp up military capacity along Russia’s border, the warplanes continue to come through Shannon Airport”.

Shannonwatch criticises the Fine Gael / Labour government for “remaining silent about the role Shannon is expected to play in US / NATO plans – just as they and the previous government remained silent about its role in Iraq and Afghanistan”.

The group went on to cite a case last week in Ennis District Court that it claims showed how Gardai are targeting peace activists at Shannon, instead of investigating violations of national and international law by CIA and US military personnel passing through the airport.

“This highlights a grotesque imbalance in how the law is being used to facilitate global injustices”.

There is a public invitation to join on Sunday 8 next and each month, the “demands for an end to the State’s complicity in war and human rights abuse and the harassment of people who are highlighting it”.
    Although this theme deserves its own thread in the political forum to deal with Irish neutrality, NATO membership, UN mandates on military interventions etc, etc.

Fact is we have US/NATO aircraft refueling at Shannon and one positive thing the peaceful SHANNONWATCH demonstrators have exposed are the serious security issues with the perimeter fencing.

Without being alarmist but these breaches have been going on since 2002 and its time they addressed them in order to be able to deal with any potential sinister threat!

Two more strikes planned as Aer Lingus talks collapse (Irish Times)

Strikes scheduled for Monday 16th and Wednesday 18th of June. :mad:

• Advertisement

Two more strikes planned as Aer Lingus talks collapse (Irish Times)

Strikes scheduled for Monday 16th and Wednesday 18th of June. :mad:

Your kidding me!!!!!.

Im flying to london on the 16th and returning on the 18th.

I better rebook with ryanair before the prices skyrocket.

The combined American Airlines and US Airways airline has launched its first service at Shannon Airport following the airlines’ merger last year with the recommencement of the seasonal summer service to Philadelphia Airport (PHL). The service, which runs until 2nd September 2014, returns after its successful launch for the 2013 summer season under the US Airways flag. The route will complement additional US services from Shannon to Boston, Chicago, Newark and JFK New York Airports this summer.

Philadelphia is also significant addition to the summer season schedule at Shannon as it is one of the merged airline’s leading hub airports, offering connections to well over 100 destinations across 25 countries, including the US, Canada, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Passengers flying from Shannon also have the benefit of availing of US Customs and Border Protection preclearance, avoiding delays on arrival in the US. Shannon in 2009 became the first airport outside North America to secure US preclearance services. The service departs Shannon daily at 11.35 a.m., arriving in Philadelphia (local time) at 2.p.m. The return leg of the service departs Philadelphia at 9.10 a.m., arriving in Shannon at 8.40 a.m. (local time) the following day.

The new and seasonal services are operated as part of American’s recent merger with US Airways, creating the world’s largest airline, providing customers access to a wealth of destinations worldwide.

“By increasing our presence in Europe to a combined 56 routes, we are providing our customers on both sides of the Atlantic with a growing choice of seamless connections to major business and leisure destinations worldwide,” said Suzanne Boda, American Airlines’ Senior Vice President of Asia, Canada, Europe and Cargo.

Welcoming the return of services to Philadelphia, Declan Power, Head of Aviation Development at Shannon stated, “We are delighted with the return of American Airlines services to Shannon and we are confident that the Philadelphia route will again be a major contributor to the growing number of US visitors to the West of Ireland. “The US Airways/American Airlines services have already delivered in excess of 500,000 passengers through Shannon Airport and we will be working with the airline to evaluate further opportunities for development and expansion. As an added convenience, customers can clear U.S. immigration and customs before departing Shannon, allowing for a quick and efficient arrival experience at Philadelphia. “With onward connections to over 100 cities, customers are able to check their baggage through to their final destination and ultimately reduce the amount of time needed to connect to their next flight.” Ends

Shannon Airport air traffic up +21.7% for May (IAA).

310560.jpg

310560.jpg

It is unlikely passenger numbers will fall this year.

310560.jpg
    Aer Lingus Regional, operated by Stobart Air, has reported a 15% growth in the figures for Shannon Airport in May. (Irish Examiner)

However April’s growth figures were more spectacular at 39%.

Birmingham (2x Daily)
    Bristol (Daily)
    Edinburgh (Daily)
    Manchester (3x Daily)

If I did my sums right for these routes then

(2014) 11,333
    (2013) 09,855
    (2012) 11,759

Since Bristol was dropped in 2013, a better comparison would be 2014 with 2012, which would reveal a drop of -3.6%.

Aer Lingus Regional, operated by Stobart Air, has reported a 15% growth in the figures for Shannon Airport in May. (Irish Examiner)

However April’s growth figures were more spectacular at 39%.

Birmingham (2x Daily)
    Bristol (Daily)
    Edinburgh (Daily)
    Manchester (3x Daily)

If I did my sums right for these routes then

(2014) 11,333
    (2013) 09,855
    (2012) 11,759

Since Bristol was dropped in 2013, a better comparison would be 2014 with 2012, which would reveal a drop of -3.6%.

The bristol route is operated by an atr 42 this year, was it in 2012? Your probably correct either way, Im just pointing out the fact that capacity may have been dropped..

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭loverslane

Hi can anyone give me a little info on Delta flights to JFK and some gen info

1. How many hours is it suggested you arrive at airport to check-in and clear immigration
    2. Do Delta have self service machines at the airport to print boarding cards
    3. What aircraft to Delta operate out of Shannon
    4. Have there been any delays that anyone knows of on departure - we don't have a huge layover for connecting flight

Many thanks

loverslane wrote: »
    Hi can anyone give me a little info on Delta flights to JFK and some gen info

1. How many hours is it suggested you arrive at airport to check-in and clear immigration
    2. Do Delta have self service machines at the airport to print boarding cards
    3. What aircraft to Delta operate out of Shannon

Many thanks

1.Id recommend 2.5 to 3 at that time of day.

2. No idea but I doubt it.

3. Boeing 757's

Thank you very much for your very quick reply. I didn't expect that they would have self service so will just print day before.

I edited my post to ask if any delays in departure are known of or do they usually run to time. We only have a short layover in JFK for connecting flight.

Carnacalla thanks for all the info. One more itsy bitsy question - would you happen to know if the flights have seat back entertainment screens.

• Advertisement

Thank you very much for your very quick reply. I didn't expect that they would have self service so will just print day before.

I edited my post to ask if any delays in departure are known of or do they usually run to time. We only have a short layover in JFK for connecting flight.

The flight leaving shannon ( DL233 ) Often leaves late but still.arrives early. The flight duration is estimated on a strong westerly wind westbound.

At Jfk flights rarley leave early or on time anyway so it is very likely that you will make your connection.

Carnacalla thanks for all the info. One more itsy bitsy question - would you happen to know if the flights have seat back entertainment screens.

And yes they do. It is almost unacceptable for a transatlantic flight not to have seat back entertainment systems or equlivant.

Fantastic - will make a huge difference in keeping the kids entertained. Happy days.

Fantastic - will make a huge difference in keeping the kids entertained. Happy days.

If your flying on a jet for your connection then I think they have inflight entertainment systems in them too ( although I cant confirm that)

Delta do have the self-checkin machines at Shannon also, FYI.

Delta do have the self-checkin machines at Shannon also, FYI.

Do they? Wow. Wouldnt of thought it.

I just watched the Aer Lingus SNN-JFK flight take off on flightradar. I noticed it was heading eastbound and was not turning west so I thought that was strange. I followed it and 28mins later it seems to be landing in Dublin. It is dropping speed and altitude.

Anyone know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

An extra flight to Boston from Dublin was put on today due to the flight returning yesterday and they cancelled the DUB/JFK to accommodate it and SNN/JFK has been re-routed via DUB to accommodate some passengers affected by the cancellation of flight EI109

sonyair wrote: »
    An extra flight to Boston from Dublin was put on today due to the flight returning yesterday and they cancelled the DUB/JFK to accommodate it and SNN/JFK has been re-routed via DUB to accommodate some passengers affected by the cancellation of flight EI109

But the snn/jfk is generally a fairly full flight in the summer.

Its delayed over 2 hours because of the stop.

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    But the snn/jfk is generally a fairly full flight in the summer.

Its delayed over 2 hours because of the stop.

Obviously not fairly full today!

May UK routes out
    LGW 9016
    LHR 21076
    STN 18776
    BHX 3784 (up 35%)
    BRS 1984
    EDI 2882
    LPL 2929
    MAN 5482 (up 25% on 2013)

Advertisement