Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signing yourself out of hospital

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

In 2012? Hmm not sure so, I heard it stopped a few years ago. Could always ask the doctor at your next appointment

Had my baby in Limk Maternity a few weeks back. Have to say that I had no issues with the hospital or the care I received. I even thought the food was pretty okay which surprised me...

To answer a few of your questions though - if you have had a birth with no complications, you can sign up for the community midwife scheme so that you leave 24 hours after birth provided you live within a certain catchment area and they come to your house a few times to check in. You have to ring in advance and request this.

Also - re the heel prick test - the PHN came to my house to do this and remove my stitches (i had an emergency c section) just a few weeks ago. I left 3 nights after my section so I was there 4 nights in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Ah ok. As there is a mixture of answers here, it must be to do with the area you live in then! As I said my LO's was done at home in Nov 2012 by PHN so hopefully it will be the same this time around. It's a very handy service to have.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I had my son at 7:10pm and they were looking to discharge us at 11am the next morning, even though we were induced due to lack of foetal movement and reduced fluid, and I was on meds for high BP. The only reason we stayed till the next day was someone noticed my son needed X-rays and they couldn't be done till the afternoon. We got the hill prick test done at home in 2012 in N. county dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Both my girls had their heel prick done in the hospital on day 3 so I imagine if you leave before that you need to arrange otherwise. My babies were born close to Christmas and all the other mums with vaginal births were told to come back to the hospital for it - some had to come back on Christmas day. I suppose time of year also plays a part because if you are discharged at Christmas or a bank holiday or something the PHN won't be available to come to you.

I had a cesarean but didn't have to have any stitches removed - everything was dissolvable and already has faded enormously (which I am very happy about as it means my bikini modelling days aren't over ;) )

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

none of mine had the heel prick done in hospital.
    One was born 1st jan so that was why and with the other 2 I went home the next morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We stayed less than 24 hours after the delivery (had vaginal delivery with no epidural) but we were in the domino but there was another girl who had her baby around the same time as me who asked to go home, I think it's called the early transfer home scheme. Holles street said baby must have done a poo, a pee, and seen pediatrician before going home. Also if you are breastfeeding they want to see you feel comfortable doing it by yourself. We have the midwives coming everyday who are great and I think you actually get more care this way than if we had stayed 3 days. According to one of the midwives the ward was mental 2 weeks ago and extra beds were brought in with no curtains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

In the rotunda they were trying their best to get people out after 24hours. Like that once baby pooed, did a wee, was discharged by paediatrician. I asked to stay an extra day as I wasn't comfortable breastfeeding and it wasn't a problem. I didn't get small awful lot of support though so not sure that I'd advise others to the same. I wasn't aware of how much the community midwives visit - they came in the first 3 days at home and the phn came twice one week and followed up the next week also. Think the community midwives only come if you're in the catchment area. Having said that, baby was jaundiced and had to be given phototherapy so would've been hard to leave her overnight at only 48 hours old which is what would've happened had I not elected to stay the extra day.

The community midwife did the heel prick test for us

Advertisement