Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signing yourself out of hospital

Options
  • 23-01-2014 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I have a bit of an odd question but I was wondering since I was pregnant, I know after I give birth I can sign myself out of hospital as quickly as I want too but I sign myself out can I sign my baby out too? Provided we are both healthy of course

I realise that wouldn't be the best idea too do but I was curious and was hoping someone could answer me I'd be great full

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I have a bit of an odd question but I was wondering since I was pregnant, I know after I give birth I can sign myself out of hospital as quickly as I want too but I sign myself out can I sign my baby out too? Provided we are both healthy of course

I realise that wouldn't be the best idea too do but I was curious and was hoping someone could answer me I'd be great full

It really depends on how u gave birth where u gave birth are you under a domino scheme?

If you had a section it would b a different story

If you intend to breast feed I say stay as long as u can so they can help you as much

Any reason why u want out so quick

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Mrs.Curtin to be

monflat wrote: »
    It really depends on how u gave birth where u gave birth are you under a domino scheme?

If you had a section it would b a different story

If you intend to breast feed I say stay as long as u can so they can help you as much

Any reason why u want out so quick

No not under a domino scheme, I don't really plan on checking myself out early I was just curious really. I know I could sign myself out but I didn't know if I could sign baby out
    The only reason it crossed my mind was the maternity here I'm limerick isn't particularly clean, and last time I was in with my daughter I couldn't eat there as I didn't like the food and couldn't sleep either, so the thought of discharging myself early crossed my mind that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

I signed myself out early and it was the best decision I ever made. In the rotunda anyways if u go early they will send midwives out to your house if you're in their catchment area. I found I got no support for breast feeding in the hospital as it was so busy but because I left early I got one to one attention. Obviously only do that if you're both healthy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

I wasnt on the domino scheme either and they still arranged that for me :)

Madisson wrote: »
    I wasnt on the domino scheme either and they still arranged that for me :)

Thanks very much :) yeah I will only consider it if we both healthy of course. I feel like I would recover better at home personally. But I'll see how things go at the time of the birth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I told my consultant I'd recover better from my section at home and left after four rather than five nights. I don't see how they can force your baby or you to stay if you're healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

If uve had a normal vaginal delivery with no complications to you or baby can you not be discharged on request after 24 hours?? I know in Holles Street in dublin you can.

lazygal wrote: »
    I told my consultant I'd recover better from my section at home and left after four rather than five nights. I don't see how they can force your baby or you to stay if you're healthy.

I'm not sure, for my first baby last year I had an emergency c section. My water broke 4 weeks early and my little miss was breech. She got quite jaundiced and was in the special care for a bit so I never even thought about leaving early because it suited me being so close too her.
    But this time I'm hoping for a VBAC so I'm totally clueless about this birth stuff

Sligo1 wrote: »
    If uve had a normal vaginal delivery with no complications to you or baby can you not be discharged on request after 24 hours?? I know in Holles Street in dublin you can.

I haven't a clue to be honest but that would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I know when I was in Holles St a couple of weeks ago, they were practically kicking mothers and babies out the minute 24 hours was up. I wasn't expecting that, as we were told in antenatal classes to expect to stay in for 3 nights after a natural birth, or 5 nights after a section.

One woman on the ward wanted to go home the day after having a section ... the doctor really didn't seem at all happy about it, but agreed in the end.

They're not going to want to hold you there against your will. Assuming all is well with the mother and baby, I can't imagine you'd have any problems with being allowed home as soon as you feel ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I was actually wondering about this too. I’m not sure how long CUMH keep you after a straightforward delivery, but I am due in June and that place is a furnace at the best of times, if it’s anything like June last year, I’d imagine the heat would be unbearable. The thought of being kept in for three days fills me with horror. But I suppose it is totally down to the circumstances of the birth.

Interesting to see how Zara Phillips was discharged 4 hours after giving birth last week and even the heir to the throne, little George was in hospital for less than 24 hours. Obviously they don’t hang about in England!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I had normal birth at 41 weeks. Baba and me were fine and they wouldnt let me go home when i asked (approx 39hrs aftr) as baba wasnt 48hrs old. She was born at 7pm so i asked could i go t at 7pm as she would be 48hrs old and i live close to hospital but wouldnt let me. I had to stay another night.
    This was mullingar though.

I'm not sure, for my first baby last year I had an emergency c section. My water broke 4 weeks early and my little miss was breech. She got quite jaundiced and was in the special care for a bit so I never even thought about leaving early because it suited me being so close too her.
    But this time I'm hoping for a VBAC so I'm totally clueless about this birth stuff

I've had an elective (first time) and emergency (second time but not really an emergency as nothing was happening). I learned from the first time and told my consultant if it was a second section I'd be staying the minimum required because I would recover better and faster. Once my bloods were ok I was allowed out, but TBH I'd have looked at checking myself out anyway because I had a textbook experience and baby was fine.

Most Dublin maternity units will let you home ASAP because they need the space, especially if all was ok.

I was kept in for four nights because the baby's blood sugar was low, but I don't think I'd have been comfortable going home any sooner anyways. I found it a lot harder than I would have expected to get used to taking care of him, and it was brilliant having the midwives there to show me how to do everything and to check that everything was OK. We'd have been in serious bother if I'd been sent home the day after he'd been born - the nurses realised his blood sugar was low because he was "jittery" and he was rushed off to intensive care, I had just put it down to normal newborn jumpiness and didn't realise anything was wrong.

Anyways I'd imagine it's completely different on your second pregnancy, when you know what's normal and what's not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

A cousin of mine had her baby in limerick a few weeks ago. She was strep b positive and because her labour was very fast, they hadn't time to give her the antibiotics and her little girl was born with an infection. The baby needed 3 days of antibiotics and the doctors wanted to keep both mother and baby in for another 2 days for monitoring afterwards but she refused and signed herself and the baby out because she found the hospital to be dirty. She reckoned that if there were any problems then they wouldn't have let her go.

Whether she was right or not to do it I couldn't say but she was allowed to leave with the baby nonetheless. The baby suffered no ill effects and is thriving now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

No not under a domino scheme, I don't really plan on checking myself out early I was just curious really. I know I could sign myself out but I didn't know if I could sign baby out
    The only reason it crossed my mind was the maternity here I'm limerick isn't particularly clean, and last time I was in with my daughter I couldn't eat there as I didn't like the food and couldn't sleep either, so the thought of discharging myself early crossed my mind that's all.
    A cousin of mine had her baby in limerick a few weeks ago. She was strep b positive and because her labour was very fast, they hadn't time to give her the antibiotics and her little girl was born with an infection. The baby needed 3 days of antibiotics and the doctors wanted to keep both mother and baby in for another 2 days for monitoring afterwards but she refused and signed herself and the baby out because she found the hospital to be dirty. She reckoned that if there were any problems then they wouldn't have let her go.

Whether she was right or not to do it I couldn't say but she was allowed to leave with the baby nonetheless. The baby suffered no ill effects and is thriving now :)
    Aside from anything else, it’s an absolute disgrace in this day in a first world country that women feel the need to sign themselves and their babies out of hospital due to lack of cleanliness. It must have been really bad for MrsPostman’s cousin to sign their baby out even though they had an infection.

It’s a poor reflection of the Irish health system.

I know when I was in Holles St a couple of weeks ago, they were practically kicking mothers and babies out the minute 24 hours was up. I wasn't expecting that, as we were told in antenatal classes to expect to stay in for 3 nights after a natural birth, or 5 nights after a section.

One woman on the ward wanted to go home the day after having a section ... the doctor really didn't seem at all happy about it, but agreed in the end.

They're not going to want to hold you there against your will. Assuming all is well with the mother and baby, I can't imagine you'd have any problems with being allowed home as soon as you feel ready.

If that was me I'd be delighted weird as it sounds, can't bare the thought of staying on the ward any longer then I have too. 24 hours even seems like forever too be away from my home.

Thanks very much for your reply though, I'm so relieved too know I have the option too leave if I want :)

ncmc wrote: »
    Aside from anything else, it’s an absolute disgrace in this day in a first world country that women feel the need to sign themselves and their babies out of hospital due to lack of cleanliness. It must have been really bad for MrsPostman’s cousin to sign their baby out even though they had an infection.

It’s a poor reflection of the Irish health system.

I'll totally agree with you there, it's sad that it's so bad. It was easy for me too ignore it with my first because I spent all my time down in special care with her. But if everything goes too plan this time, I'll be leaving there ASAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

I signed myself out early. I was told I could go home the next day provided the paediatrician signed out the babies. However during the night my bp went crazy high and they wanted me to stay another night for observation. However I was shattered thanks to another mothers baby literally crying for 2 days and nights, and two babies of my own to look after who were feeding every 2 hours and no one to help. Add to this that despite them wanting to 'observe' me no one checked my bp for 6 hours and I had to remind them to give me medication:rolleyes: I knew staying was only making me worse so I signed myself out. I had bp problems for 7 weeks so knew well what to look out for and be careful of.

I also know of someone who signed their baby out because they were 8 hours waiting for the paediatrician to discharge the baby and they just got sick waiting. They had a normal delivery, baby was fine and she was due back 2 days later for the heel prick so by 6 o'clock that evening she said sod it and discharged the baby (she had already been discharged herself).

I signed myself out early. I was told I could go home the next day provided the paediatrician signed out the babies. However during the night my bp went crazy high and they wanted me to stay another night for observation. However I was shattered thanks to another mothers baby literally crying for 2 days and nights, and two babies of my own to look after who were feeding every 2 hours and no one to help. Add to this that despite them wanting to 'observe' me no one checked my bp for 6 hours and I had to remind them to give me medication:rolleyes: I knew staying was only making me worse so I signed myself out. I had bp problems for 7 weeks so knew well what to look out for and be careful of.

I also know of someone who signed their baby out because they were 8 hours waiting for the paediatrician to discharge the baby and they just got sick waiting. They had a normal delivery, baby was fine and she was due back 2 days later for the heel prick so by 6 o'clock that evening she said sod it and discharged the baby (she had already been discharged herself).

That's insane, your much better off at home I think a lot of the time.
    That's my thinking on this early discharge stuff you have too be back too get the heel prick soon after not too mention the public health nurse calling in too. And I live 15 minutes drive from the maternity too. I'd rather just be out of the place

• Advertisement

That's insane, your much better off at home I think a lot of the time.
    That's my thinking on this early discharge stuff you have too be back too get the heel prick soon after not too mention the public health nurse calling in too. And I live 15 minutes drive from the maternity too. I'd rather just be out of the place

How come you guys had to go into the hospital to get the heel prick? I thought the PHNs do this when they come for their first home visit? Or was I just lucky last time?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Zil2011

I was in our lady of Lourdes hospital drogheda and was out 24 hours after having my babies. It was great to get out so quick and home to my own shower and bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

How come you guys had to go into the hospital to get the heel prick? I thought the PHNs do this when they come for their first home visit? Or was I just lucky last time?

In 2008 the PHN did the heel prick, in 2010 and 2011 I had to bring them back to the hospital for it, I'm not sure why.

January wrote: »
    In 2008 the PHN did the heel prick, in 2010 and 2011 I had to bring them back to the hospital for it, I'm not sure why.

How annoying! My PHN did it in november 2012... Would be handy if she did it again this time.

Yeah I heard the public health nurse used too do it but now it's done at the hospital for some reason

Probably depends on where you live

How annoying! My PHN did it in november 2012... Would be handy if she did it again this time.

In 2012? Hmm not sure so, I heard it stopped a few years ago. Could always ask the doctor at your next appointment

Phn did my second child's heel.prick test last September.

I'm in D15, the Phn did the heel prick test for us just last week.

Would be horrible having to go back into hospital for it when they're so little!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Even without being on the DOMINO scheme you can leave early. Some private health insurance plans pay for private midwifery care at home. I've looked after mums who have discharged themselves 3 days after a caesarean so they can get postnatal care in their own bed. It's great to be able to give the mums and babies the care they deserve away from the postnatal wards especially after a difficult birth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm in D15, the Phn did the heel prick test for us just last week.

Would be horrible having to go back into hospital for it when they're so little!

I'm hoping that's the case this time too, I hate going back to the hospital to have it done. My sister was with the midwives clinic in the Rotunda in November and the midwife that visited her did the heel prick test. I'm with the consultants though so I'm not sure if I'll have a midwife visit me at home.

Advertisement