Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badger Set

Options
  • 23-01-2014 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi Can anyone give me an exact location of a Badger set in the Dublin area, im a keen wildlife photographer, (see my site www.colmfitzpatrick.net) and i would love to photograph this animal, i realise this is sensitive information to give out, so it could be sent via personal message ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭BillyBoy13

I dont know if you would be willing to travel (Louth), but I have badgers living in my garden, along with pheasants and rabbits too. Also get the odd fox skulking about if that takes your fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 colmfitz

Thanks for the quick response, if you can PM me the details that would be great

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Looks like you might need a license from the NPWS - see Here

And here's a good code of ethics from the Northern Ireland Environment Agency, to help ensure any impact on the subject is minimised and that they don't abandon their sett or get stressed.

I'm posting the above not just for the OP's benefit, but for the benefit of anyone photographing wild animals or birds this year. I've posted elsewhere of the damage and negative impact people can have on wildlife when taking pictures, even when it's completely unintentional.

I actually didnt know you needed to have a licence for photographing protected animals.

Colm if you have the licence pm me, otherwise its gonna have to be a no-go Im afraid, as Im already having issues with the NPWS as it stands :( Last thing I need is for something like this come back and bite me in the ass.

Thanks for the info billyboy, its all news to me too, did not know the Badger was a protected species, thanks for your interest all the same.

Colm

• Advertisement

Actually, does anyone know how i go about getting a license from the NPWS to photograph such animals, is it possible to get one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Application forms are available on the link above.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

colmfitz wrote: »
    Thanks for the info billyboy, its all news to me too, did not know the Badger was a protected species, thanks for your interest all the same.

Colm

All native animals and birds are protected to the best of my knowledge.

All native animals and birds are protected to the best of my knowledge.

I dont think so, certain mammals are classed as vermin and dont have any protection. Like rats and rabbits just say.

Birds on the other hand are protected at an EU level- all birds. But the minister has to continuously get us permission to kill them if they are causing problems. Under derogation really. So say the pigeon or magpie normally protected but if they start damaging crops in fields then they are no longer protected and you can kill them.

Same with deer. If the deer come along and start breaking fences, knocking ditches you can apply for a section 42 and have someone kill them for you at any time of the year.

I heard tell of another section for hunting clubs. I think if , say a hunter comes and finds a protected animal- even say a stoat in the pheasent pen eating and killing pheasants. Obviously he cant go applying for permission to move him..... basically he has to act right there and then and can do whatever has to be done to protect the rest of the pheasants. But my understanding on that is a little hazy. You might want to check it out properly before you go shooting a buzzard thats got into your chicken coop :P

But not been allowed to photograph protected animals is a new one on me.

BillyBoy13 wrote: »
    I dont think so, certain mammals are classed as vermin and dont have any protection. Like rats and rabbits just say.

Birds on the other hand are protected at an EU level- all birds. But the minister has to continuously get us permission to kill them if they are causing problems. Under derogation really. So say the pigeon or magpie normally protected but if they start damaging crops in fields then they are no longer protected and you can kill them.

Same with deer. If the deer come along and start breaking fences, knocking ditches you can apply for a section 42 and have someone kill them for you at any time of the year.

I heard tell of another section for hunting clubs. I think if , say a hunter comes and finds a protected animal- even say a stoat in the pheasent pen eating and killing pheasants. Obviously he cant go applying for permission to move him..... basically he has to act right there and then and can do whatever has to be done to protect the rest of the pheasants. But my understanding on that is a little hazy. You might want to check it out properly before you go shooting a buzzard thats got into your chicken coop :P

But not been allowed to photograph protected animals is a new one on me.

Ah yeah but Brown Rats and Rabbits aren't native, so I was right ;). But yeah Deer are protected, unless you get that license, and even then it only allows you to carry out specific actions to control them.

Yeah I'm almost certain you're wrong about that in terms of hunting clubs and protected animals. Srameen might be able to shed some light on it, but its not something I'd go spreading around unless you know it to be true for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,148 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

some of the laws are outdated - certainly in relation to nestbox cameras. you're not allowed photograph birds on the nest, as this might disturb the birds, but the law was written before the days you could buy nestboxes with built in cameras.

some of the laws are outdated - certainly in relation to nestbox cameras. you're not allowed photograph birds on the nest, as this might disturb the birds, but the law was written before the days you could buy nestboxes with built in cameras.

Thats true!
    But I will highlight the fact that there's a huge difference between nestbox cameras and a photographer going and taking pictures of breeding birds or mammals.

I heard tell of another section for hunting clubs. I think if , say a hunter comes and finds a protected animal- even say a stoat in the pheasent pen eating and killing pheasants. Obviously he cant go applying for permission to move him..... basically he has to act right there and then and can do whatever has to be done to protect the rest of the pheasants

All I'll say is that this is totally untrue and actually quite dangerous to suggest.

I agree that the wording of the legislation needs amending to account for nest box cameras but can assure you nobody would be prosecuted for using a pre-installed camera in a "domestic" nest box.

All I'll say is that this is totally untrue and actually quite dangerous to suggest.

Well you might want to take that up with the NARGC... it was said at one of their meetings.

Ah yeah but Brown Rats and Rabbits aren't native, so I was right ;).

Are fox not native?

Are fox not native?

Protected under the Irish Wildlife Act 1976 and the Amendment in 2000.

Well you might want to take that up with the NARGC... it was said at one of their meetings.

A. It's not my job or position to take it up with anybody.

B. Because somebody from a gun club said so doesn't make it correct.

C. Next time you are at an NARGC meeting perhaps you'll enlighten them or ask them to be more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Funny how these threads spiral off topic with generalisations and unrelated opinions. The OP asked about a location to 'shoot' some badgers - the responses about needing a licence and a potential location in Louth were the only two relevant points IMO.

Anyways if you do get a licence there's some setts near me here in Monaghan (an hour up the road from Dublin). Also nice job on the photos on your site. The cheeky fox posing for a shot is great.

A. It's not my job or position to take it up with anybody.

B. Because somebody from a gun club said so doesn't make it correct.

OK thats fair enough, but if your not willing to backup what your saying you could least refrain from telling others they are completely wrong if your not sure yourself especially when they have been told otherwise by an organisation that holds a bit more weight than a stranger over the internet.

By the way NARGC are a game counsel who have written books and give lectures on wildlife acts and have gone through court cases dealing with said acts.... they are not a gun club as you suggest.

C. Next time you are at an NARGC meeting perhaps you'll enlighten them or ask them to be more specific.

Dont worry. I plan on it. And I'll get back to you with the exact legislation, the last time they were talking about it I really didnt care too much for it and was only half listening. :D

Im not asking that. Im asking are they native?

• Advertisement

Now that you mention that, I had a quick look at the wildlife act on irishstatutebook.ie and fox arent mentioned as been protected.
    Protection of fauna other than protected wild birds........which are of a species of fauna in relation to which section 23 of this Act applies shall be protected.

Section 23.

Badger
    Bat species
    Deer species
    Hare species
    Hedgehog
    Otter
    Pine Marten
    Red Squirrel
    Dolphin species
    Porpoise species
    Seal species
    Whale species
    Natterjack Toad

Unless they are covered somewhere else perhaps?

OK thats fair enough, but if your not willing to backup what your saying you could least refrain from telling others they are completely wrong if your not sure yourself especially when they have been told otherwise by an organisation that holds a bit more weight than a stranger over the internet.

By the way NARGC are a game counsel who have written books and give lectures on wildlife acts and have gone through court cases dealing with said acts.... they are not a gun club as you suggest.

Dont worry. I plan on it. And I'll get back to you with the exact legislation, the last time they were talking about it I really didnt care too much for it and was only half listening. :D
    I am certain of what I said and at no time said I was uncertain. Your example of a stoat being dispatched while raiding a pheasent pen was an example of an illegal act. Pure and simple. I know. I prosecuted many a case under our wildlife legislation. You yourself admit to not fully listening to what was said at the NARGC meeting and perhaps should refrain from quoting them without clarifying exactly what was said?

Now as to your other questions on Foxes. There is actually quite an amount of dispute as to whether they are native or not. They can be positively traced to being present 5000 years ago but there is growing evidence that they may have been here 10000 years ago. It is also accepted that their numbers were certainly boosted by introducted individuals in more recent times. Because of this uncertanty Foxes are not a protected species under wildlife legislation. However, they do benefit from limited protection from animal cruelty laws and of cousrse all hunting activities are regulated by law(even when the hunting activity targets species which are not 'protected species').

Apologies OP and Mods for this detour from the topic but I suppose any question on photographing protected species was bound to tilt this way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,148 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Funny how these threads spiral off topic with generalisations and unrelated opinions.
    a thread which detours into other topics is often more interesting for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Now that you mention that, I had a quick look at the wildlife act on irishstatutebook.ie and fox arent mentioned as been protected.

Unless they are covered somewhere else perhaps?
    Fox in Ireland are vermin so I don't see how they're protected
    Fox
    Rabbit
    Muntjac
    Grey squirrel
    Mink
    Feral Goats can be shot all year round

Fox in Ireland are vermin so I don't see how they're protected
    Fox
    Rabbit
    Muntjac
    Grey squirrel
    Mink
    Feral Goats can be shot all year round

I never said they were protected.... :confused: it was the moderator openyoureyes that said they were protected by the wildlife act

I just wanted to know if they were native.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Didnt you just do that too?

I can tell you right now you're wrong. I hunt myself and one of the first things you should do as a hunter is become aware of the laws. I dont think a protected native species getting into your pen and killing non native pheasants gives you permision to kill them.
    Not a dig at you personnaly but this sort of thinking is what gives hunters a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I never said they were protected.... :confused: the moderator openyoureyes said they were protected by the wildlife act

I just wanted to know if they were native.

Oh sorry my bad.
    Foxes have been in Ireland over 5000 years apparently maybe back to ice age.
    But there were a lot of foxes brought in for fur in 1800s and 1900s and they flourished then
    So yes I'd consider them native

Didnt you just do that too?

No. Because Im willing to standby what I said and Im going to back it up with the appropiate info after next months meeting. However when I asked him about it he basically said its not his problem and that if I want it I should get it myself [though not in so many words mind you].

So no, its not the same thing.

I can tell you right now you're wrong. I hunt myself and one of the first things you should do as a hunter is become aware of the laws.

And what laws did you learn? Was it just our wildlife acts along with criminal justice and firearm acts (and the various amendments added to each of those acts over the years) or did you go and learn all the EU stuff too?
    Not a dig at you personnaly but this sort of thinking is what gives hunters a bad name.

Well Im not a hunter.... just someone that has an interest in Irish wildlife to be honest :p

No. Because Im willing to standby what I said and Im going to back it up with the appropiate info after next months meeting. However when I asked him about it he basically said its not his problem

Can we just clarify this, please?. You said you thought you heard something at a meeting. That something was incorrect and you think I should raise it with the organisation you think said it? As a private individual I have no involvement with this group and have no desire to tell them somebody misinterpreted something one of their people once said. Why should I? You are the one with the now conflicting information, so you can have it clarified if you feel the need. I don't need to as I know which is correct. When did I ever suggest I was unsure of my facts? You are the one who thought you heard something and even admitted to not listening very closely?

• Advertisement

Thought you heard something at a meeting.

misinterpreted something one of their people once said.

You are the one who thought you heard somethin

even admitted to not listening very closely?

No, I never said I was only half sure of what was said. Why do you keep insisting thats what I said? :confused:

If you take the time to read my replies you will see that the bit I was only half listening to was where exactly it falls in law.... because quite frankly, it will never apply to me.

I do however remember quite clearly that he kept stressing to everyone that you cant just shoot first because its in the pen... that you have to try everything within your means to get it out.

But either way, like I said, I'll come back with the exact legislation after next months meeting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement