Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a rental shortage in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

syklops wrote: »
    I have been looking for a place for 2 months now. Am I homeless? No, but I am commuting about 3 hours per day because of where I currently live. I am dying to move closer to work but I have not secured anywhere. All the ones I have called about have been taken, in some cases only hours after the ad has gone up. I went to see one place, 9 other people went to view it, again only hours after the ad went up and all wanted to take it. Unfortunately, I was not one of the lucky ones to be selected.

A shortage does not mean there is none. It means they are in short supply.

There are properties out there, such as this "lovely" little place in Ranelagh

How many EA's offices have you gone into to try and secure somewhere ?

What area are you trying to rent in ?
    how many bedrooms & whats your budget ?

lets see weather there genuinely is a shortage like you claim or if you just need to try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭jiminho

D3PO wrote: »
    Im not at all, that's the thing. People these days are lazy and spoilt and because a new rental in the area they like isn't handed to them on a gold platter they believe that there must be a shortage complaining EA's wont return my emails/calls I cant get a viewing, rent is too high yada yada yada.

Nobody said renting should be easy. If somebody is properly motivated, takes a day off work sees the properties they would like to view , physically goes into the respective EA's managing the properties, is prepared to pay the asking rent then trust me they can find a place in the area they desire to rent in.

Just because you cant send an email have somebody chase you immediately and find palacial accomadation for a song doesn't mean theres a shortage.

I think you're digging yourself a very large hole. There is a shortage, no two ways about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

@ D3PO
    Care to explain why people would be ringing me before I put a property on the market if it is easy to find a place once you are "motivated".

You have deteriorated the whole thing down to people are idiots and aren't looking hard enough because you think there is plenty of property to rent.

Not seeing where you are showing all these properties to find.

Fair enough you want to argue your point but it doesn't seem to have any background what so ever other than what you reckon while people are telling you they find it hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

lets see weather there genuinely is a shortage like you claim or if you just need to try harder.
    What on earth are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

There is plenty coming on the market each month for rent but because of demand rent is being up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

I might get banned for this, but I don't care. D3PO, you're nothing but a trolling little prick, who has zero handle on this issue. I've been renting in City Centre for 10 years now, and have been trying to find a new city centre apartment to rent for over a year. My budget is 1600 per month for a 2 bed place, and it's still nigh on impossible. So please shut up talking crap you muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

In Dublin 15 there is high demand I know from personal experience can't say about the rest of Dublin but the sounds point to the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

There is a MASSIVE shortage, especially for 1 bed/studios that are actually livable and anywhere close to affordable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

How many EA's offices have you gone into to try and secure somewhere ?

I have gone into 5 different ones.

What area are you trying to rent in ?
    Dublins 2, 4, 6, and 18
    how many bedrooms & whats your budget ?
    At least 1 bedroom. Original budget was 1000, have increased it to 1200.

I think we would have to agree on the definition of the word shortage first, something which we have not managed to do yet.

No doubt you will do a search on Daft, find about 60 properties which match my search terms and go "See? No shortage". Its not as simple as that or Id be living closer to work by now.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I might get banned for this, but I don't care. D3PO, you're nothing but a trolling little prick, who has zero handle on this issue. I've been renting in City Centre for 10 years now, and have been trying to find a new city centre apartment to rent for over a year. My budget is 1600 per month for a 2 bed place, and it's still nigh on impossible. So please shut up talking crap you muppet.

Do not take that tone in this forum.

If you have an issue with a post or poster, report it to the mods and we shall deal with the issue.

• Advertisement

Holsten wrote: »
    There is a MASSIVE shortage, especially for 1 bed/studios that are actually livable and anywhere close to affordable.

The reg change on bed sits has driven this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Im not at all, that's the thing. People these days are lazy and spoilt and because a new rental in the area they like isn't handed to them on a gold platter they believe that there must be a shortage complaining EA's wont return my emails/calls I cant get a viewing, rent is too high yada yada yada.

Nobody said renting should be easy. If somebody is properly motivated, takes a day off work sees the properties they would like to view , physically goes into the respective EA's managing the properties, is prepared to pay the asking rent then trust me they can find a place in the area they desire to rent in.

Just because you cant send an email have somebody chase you immediately and find palacial accomadation for a song doesn't mean theres a shortage.

They are selling a service and should make it as easy as possible for potential clients/customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

There sure is.

Went to see a place last Monday. Had the deposit on me. The ad went up at 9am, I went to see it at 12.30, 9 other people turned up. They wanted references from both work and former landlord. Someone else won the beauty pageant.

I was going to ask what areas? but its been answered, can you expand the area, e.g D20 and further out? further west or further south? any reason for sticking to those areas?
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Personally looking to move from apartment into house, still to rent, as we have a baby on the way.

Bit of a struggle alright to see some options, and some less then impressive properties going for outrageously high prices .

where are you looking? curious to see what areas there is a lower/unavailability of property?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭seklly

I've been renting in Dublin city for the last 5 years, just moved to a new apartment (third move), and this time around was by far the hardest to secure an apartment. Every open viewing we went to was packed, talked to dozens of estate agents, none of them called back. Eventually got a place after 2 months of looking.

I would 100% consider there to be a shortage of suitable housing in Dublin at the moment, going by mine and others experiences.

Also "shortage" does not equal "absence"!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

You're normally a good poster here so I'm a little surprised to see you being so stubborn on this point.
    It's not "why don't EA's pay attention to me". It's "why won't ANY of them return my calls".
    It's not "I want to live in exactly the same area for the same rent". It's "I'd like to live in the same county for not too much more rent".

There is the beginnings of a crisis brewing and your "it's their laziness that's the problem" attitude is exactly the sort of thing that leads to vulnerable people being taken advantage of and living in garden sheds.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

I think it's just a case of because there is a shortage, EA's don't have to chase up every call they get because they know that, even with minimal (not negligent) effort on their part, they will still sell/rent an apartment and get their commission.

If you're properly organised, you should have no trouble getting an apartment you really want (or at least be strongly considered by the landlord). My girlfriend and I recently moved to a very sought-after area in Dublin. Showed up for the viewing with a portfolio that contained a bit of background info about ourselves, why we wanted the apartment, why we felt the landlord should choose us, and then the usuals like previous landlord references, employer references, bank statements etc. (to prove we would have no issues covering first month's rent & deposit), payslips (to prove the apartment was well within our budget). We even included a copy of our CVs - anything we could include to show the landlord we were dependable, professional and trustworthy.

You might argue that's too much, but we had nothing to hide, we really wanted the apartment and well, it worked, because we were offered it pretty much straight away (despite there being 5 other people/couples viewing it at the same time as we did). The landlord knew we put a lot of effort into pursuing their apartment, so I'm sure they felt good about our prospects as tenants.

Call it stupid, but the only thing I can compare it to is when I was younger, we could no longer look after my dog as my mum had to go back to work and it would have been unfair to have the dog alone all day from 8am to 5pm. So we advertised that we needed a foster home for her. A few people came to see her. Who do you think we chose, the person who came and said "Oh yeah we just really want a dog, I have the cash with me..." or the person who told us all about their history raising showdogs, and was able to show us Kennel Club pedigree certs for their previous dogs, and pictures of their garden/other dogs?

Might be a stupid comparison, but it's not sufficient to just fire off an e-mail and expect the EA to get back to you. Pick up the phone, call in to the office, and go to viewings prepared. You're well aware there's a shortage, so make yourself stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

TJ Mackie wrote: »
    If you're properly organised, you should have no trouble getting an apartment you really want (or at least be strongly considered by the landlord). My girlfriend and I recently moved to a very sought-after area in Dublin. Showed up for the viewing with a portfolio that contained a bit of background info about ourselves, why we wanted the apartment, why we felt the landlord should choose us, and then the usuals like previous landlord references, employer references, bank statements etc. (to prove we would have no issues covering first month's rent & deposit), payslips (to prove the apartment was well within our budget). We even included a copy of our CVs - anything we could include to show the landlord we were dependable, professional and trustworthy.

You might argue that's too much, but we had nothing to hide, we really wanted the apartment and well, it worked, because we were offered it pretty much straight away (despite there being 5 other people/couples viewing it at the same time as we did). The landlord knew we put a lot of effort into pursuing their apartment, so I'm sure they felt good about our prospects as tenants.

Call it stupid, but the only thing I can compare it to is when I was younger, we could no longer look after my dog as my mum had to go back to work and it would have been unfair to have the dog alone all day from 8am to 5pm. So we advertised that we needed a foster home for her. A few people came to see her. Who do you think we chose, the person who came and said "Oh yeah we just really want a dog, I have the cash with me..." or the person who told us all about their history raising showdogs, and was able to show us Kennel Club pedigree certs for their previous dogs, and pictures of their garden/other dogs?
    Nothing stupid about it at all. You showed a professional attitude towards the application and the place was yours. Given the number of folks on here who would rather commit harakiri than provide sound proof that they can actually earn enough to pay the rent asked. I was lambasted in another thread and told this sort of thing would never be tolerated by Irish tenants etc. etc. but your timely post suggests things are not as black and white as those posters seem to think.

Well done on your new home. I hope you are happy there! :)

I think it's just a case of because there is a shortage, EA's don't have to chase up every call they get because they know that, even with minimal (not negligent) effort on their part, they will still sell/rent an apartment and get their commission.

Might be a stupid comparison, but it's not sufficient to just fire off an e-mail and expect the EA to get back to you. Pick up the phone, call in to the office, and go to viewings prepared. You're well aware there's a shortage, so make yourself stand out.

Congratulations on finding the new place, your search is over, but for the rest of us, even the switched on, reference from job, reference from work, deposit in my pocket types who still can't bag the property we want, the search continues. The one I really wanted to get, I showed up as above, 20 minutes early, all the references ready to go as did 9 other people. 7 of whom also had references. Its a lottery at this stage. Maybe me in my suit has a better chance than the guy in the tracksuit, but it remains a lottery.

You showed a professional attitude towards the application and the place was yours. Given the number of folks on here who would rather commit harakiri than provide sound proof that they can actually earn enough to pay the rent asked. I was lambasted in another thread and told this sort of thing would never be tolerated by Irish tenants etc. etc. but your timely post suggests things are not as black and white as those posters seem to think.

This is a different thread. This is a thread for people finding a shortage of rental properties. I spend on a good day about 3 hours a day on the bus/luas and I'd love to move closer to work. You can have my bank statements, my references and my DNA samples, I just want a flat or apartment near work. It shouldn't be this difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

Congratulations on finding the new place, your search is over, but for the rest of us, even the switched on, reference from job, reference from work, deposit in my pocket types who still can't bag the property we want, the search continues. The one I really wanted to get, I showed up as above, 20 minutes early, all the references ready to go as did 9 other people. 7 of whom also had references. Its a lottery at this stage. Maybe me in my suit has a better chance than the guy in the tracksuit, but it remains a lottery.

This is a different thread. This is a thread for people finding a shortage of rental properties. I spend on a good day about 3 hours a day on the bus/luas and I'd love to move closer to work. You can have my bank statements, my references and my DNA samples, I just want a flat or apartment near work. It shouldn't be this difficult.

Sorry, my reply was more aimed at the tangent the discussion seemed to have veered off on, i.e. lazy estate agents vs lazy property hunters :)

Sorry, my reply was more aimed at the tangent the discussion seemed to have veered off on, i.e. lazy estate agents vs lazy property hunters :)

The lazy property hunters argument was being perpetuated by someone who insisted there is no rental shortage. Numerous posters begged to differ. Maybe some property hunters are lazy, but I have seen some very lazy estate agents as well.

It seems the days of ringing up and booking an appointment are gone. Instead they set a day and time and everyone shows up at the same to view the property and declare their interest. References etc are sent to the owner who then chooses the tenant. Its not a renters market anymore.

Are there properties out there? Yes. Is there enough for demand? No. Is there a lot which are sub-standard? Absolutely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Being hard to find a place and rents going up don't mean there is a shortage. Less supply doesn't automatically make it a shortage.

Threshold Homeless Service in Dublin Records Busiest Ever Year
    A homeless support service run by Threshold, the national housing charity, recorded its busiest ever year last year. Threshold’s Dublin Access Housing Unit received 800 referrals in 2013, an increase of 77 per cent on the previous year. The Unit provides support to people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless to source accommodation in the private rented sector.

Commenting today, Fionnughla McLoughlin, Assistant Manager of the Access Housing Unit, said: “Referrals to our service almost doubled in the past year, due to a range of factors. Demand for accommodation in the private rental sector has been rising steadily in Dublin in recent years, and there is a serious shortage of rental accommodation in the city. This has driven average rent prices up. Add to that welfare cuts and rent supplement caps, and the result is that many low-income, vulnerable families are no longer able to make their rent or find suitable accommodation within their price-range.
    There is more...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

The lazy property hunters argument was being perpetuated by someone who insisted there is no rental shortage. Numerous posters begged to differ. Maybe some property hunters are lazy, but I have seen some very lazy estate agents as well.

It seems the days of ringing up and booking an appointment are gone. Instead they set a day and time and everyone shows up at the same to view the property and declare their interest. References etc are sent to the owner who then chooses the tenant. Its not a renters market anymore.

Are there properties out there? Yes. Is there enough for demand? No. Is there a lot which are sub-standard? Absolutely.

A landlord is going to choose the best possible tenants, simple as that, that's why you see ads with professionals only, a landlord is not going to take a chance on the rent not being paid.

If the rent isn't paid then the landlords mortgage isn't paid, if you seem any way incapable of meeting your obligations you won't be considered.

Maybe people who rent will have to look outside of the desirable areas just as house buyers do, and rent where they can afford, even if that means a commute in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

cerastes wrote: »
    where are you looking? curious to see what areas there is a lower/unavailability of property?

Fingal area. Swords, Donabate etc. Currently in Donabate but need to move to bigger premises. Holding onto the area of Fingal we both were born and raised here, all friends and family here. Also new baby on the way so want to be close to family incase of any meltdowns :d

There are properties going up but aren't suitable for various reasons. Fibre enabled broadband by either UPC or Magnets own infrastructure are a minimum requirement which slashes a lot of places of the list straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

The Spider wrote: »
    A landlord is going to choose the best possible tenants, simple as that, that's why you see ads with professionals only, a landlord is not going to take a chance on the rent not being paid.

If the rent isn't paid then the landlords mortgage isn't paid, if you seem any way incapable of meeting your obligations you won't be considered.

Maybe people who rent will have to look outside of the desirable areas just as house buyers do, and rent where they can afford, even if that means a commute in.

Ive looked at a certain property category in a certain area, and there seems to be very few available of that category (small house). I was told by someone last year they were looking in this category opposed to an apartment, but could get nothing, very little available and next to none that would take rent supplement.Similar this year when I looked at the same property type.
    your last paragraph is what many people that eventually purchased did, couldnt buy in an area they liked, so went somewhere they could afford and commuted. But if I was to rent,somewhere less desireable or not my first choice, it may end up being better to try buy, with all its own problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

cerastes wrote: »
    your last paragraph is what many people that eventually purchased did, couldnt buy in an area they liked, so went somewhere they could afford and commuted. But if I was to rent,somewhere less desireable or not my first choice, it may end up being better to try buy, with all its own problems.
    I actually think this is where many people went wrong and got trapped. We bought a house in an area we didn't particularly like but could afford. We did not choose a place we would have to commute massive distances though.
    What happened was as the house prices rose we stayed in line with Dublin house prices but those living further out went further away from being able to upgrade back into Dublin. So while we started at similar house prices we were able to go up a level in Dublin where they could only go up to where we started. Plus they had the extra expense of commuting and the time loss associated.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Fingal area. Swords, Donabate etc. Currently in Donabate but need to move to bigger premises. Holding onto the area of Fingal we both were born and raised here, all friends and family here. Also new baby on the way so want to be close to family incase of any meltdowns :d

There are properties going up but aren't suitable for various reasons. Fibre enabled broadband by either UPC or Magnets own infrastructure are a minimum requirement which slashes a lot of places of the list straight away.

If you look at D 15 you will still see three bed semis for 1000 per month

The Spider wrote: »

Not really sure why this was directed at me.All the viewings I have been to I went in my usual work attire which is a suit and an overcoat. I brought a work reference with me. Its not a case of me being unattractive as a tenant because I am out of work. Im in full gainful employment, and can afford the rent, but when 10 people show up to view a property and they all want the property, 9 people are going to end up disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I think there is absolutely a shortage, this is a natural bottleneck. The dregs of the market (non compliant bedsits), and pinned to their collar amateur landlords have been removed from the market. Meanwhile there has been an uptick in economic activity, and more labour market mobility.
    I guesstimate it will take 12-18 months for some form of stability in the rental sector. Professional property companies, and foreign money is flowing in via REITs, but this takes time to filter down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭dinnyirwin

I have an agent looking after my properties and they are forever calling me telling me I can up the rent. Makes a change from calling me saying that the tenants were demanding reductions, which happened a few years ago.

But still the rents I can charge now are about the same as I was getting for the same properties in 2001.

I think there is a shortage and has been for a while now.
    I have had zero vacant periods in any of my properties, even when changing tenants since late 2010. So I think the shortage has been there, but only the last year or so are prices catching up and it is being noticed.

Part of the reason is a lot of people who owned bedsits have now had to upgrade and charge more for the property. And rent allowance being reduced and cwos demanding reductions so much has resulted in most landlords just dropping any dealings with social welfare altogether. Also extra taxes that had to be absorbed can now be passed on to the tenants.

Also in a rising market, you can advertise at €50 or €100 more than the most expensive similar property you see advertised on daft. If you get no bites then go back to the original rent. But if you do get a bite than that new price becomes the new price ceiling for rents in the area for the next LL advertising.

Advertisement