Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Weeks News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Do you not think your expectations of Irish comedy are too high. Ireland has a population of 4 million people. All its comedy is supplied by the national broadcaster which has limited finance and a much smaller pool of talent to pick from compared to American and British stations. For a comparison its like comparing the Irish soccer team to the English soccer team, the pool of talent and investment in talent just simply isn't there. However inspite of this, in recent times RTE has produced decent comedy like Irish Pictorial Weekly and The Savage Eye.

The short answer to your question is no, I don't.

If I watch something like the Colbert report, I think it would be unfair to expect something as good here. Our budgets are too low and the population is too low for a concentration of talent necessary to consistently produce such a great show four times a week. I am not demanding that. Nothing as good, and nothing as often.

But you have given two examples of exceptions to the rule in Irish comedy production. I could add a few others. The problem with RTE is not money or talent, it's simple fear and conservatism. Next Week's News is indistinguishable from so many previous shows they have made, with the same personnel who have disappointed repeatedly in the past. We know the talent is there, I've seen it.

To take another example: the Hardy Bucks. It started out with a budget of about zero, making short youtube clips that brilliantly cut to the heart of the boredom, idleness, machismo and sadness of small town Irish life (it was painful at times how "true" it was). Then in comes RTE, latching onto it. Wouldn't you know it, the show turned to ****. Money can be no excuse (the makers of the Bucks can take some responsibility too of course, but RTE is the common factor in so many of these stories).

The biggest indictment is just how much top quality drama we have produced. Pure Mule, Raw (wasn't actually a huge fan but it was OK), Bachelor's Walk (actually a great comedy too), Love/Hate. I could go on. Why, if we can do so well at that, should comedy get a pass and just saunter on, smug in its mediocrity?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭celtic tiger 2011

The short answer to your question is no, I don't.

If I watch something like the Colbert report, I think it would be unfair to expect something as good here. Our budgets are too low and the population is too low for a concentration of talent necessary to consistently produce such a great show four times a week. I am not demanding that. Nothing as good, and nothing as often.

But you have given two examples of exceptions to the rule in Irish comedy production. I could add a few others. The problem with RTE is not money or talent, it's simple fear and conservatism. Next Week's News is indistinguishable from so many previous shows they have made, with the same personnel who have disappointed repeatedly in the past. We know the talent is there, I've seen it.

To take another example: the Hardy Bucks. It started out with a budget of about zero, making short youtube clips that brilliantly cut to the heart of the boredom, idleness, machismo and sadness of small town Irish life (it was painful at times how "true" it was). Then in comes RTE, latching onto it. Wouldn't you know it, the show turned to ****. Money can be no excuse (the makers of the Bucks can take some responsibility too of course, but RTE is the common factor in so many of these stories).

The biggest indictment is just how much top quality drama we have produced. Pure Mule, Raw (wasn't actually a huge fan but it was OK), Bachelor's Walk (actually a great comedy too), Love/Hate. I could go on. Why, if we can do so well at that, should comedy get a pass and just saunter on, smug in its mediocrity?

I disagree on RTE developing top quality drama Pure Mure was pure muck and RAW was ****e aswell. If Bachelors Walk was so funny then why did it pull in so few viewers. Here is a theory for why we just produce such poor comedy , we just aren't that funny. The only people who find us funny are ourselves . We spend all our time in this country laughing at our own jokes , the rest of the world doesn't get the joke.

I disagree on RTE developing top quality drama Pure Mure was pure muck and RAW was ****e aswell. If Bachelors Walk was so funny then why did it pull in so few viewers. Here is a theory for why we just produce such poor comedy , we just aren't that funny. The only people who find us funny are ourselves . We spend all our time in this country laughing at our own jokes , the rest of the world doesn't get the joke.
    The rest of the world doesn't need too, the shows are made for Irish people. Your theory doesn't explain why we don't find it funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

While I personally am irked by how Irish people seem to think of "the Irish" as witty and uniquely able to enjoy "the craic", at the same time, I don't think Irish people are unfunny. I think you'll find that other anglophone countries, particularly America and Britain, do find "the Irish" funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

If Bachelors Walk was so funny then why did it pull in so few viewers.

A comedy doesn't have to pull in a lot of viewers for it to be funny.

And Bachelors Walk only got so few viewers because RTE didn't promote it as much as they should have...

• Advertisement

A comedy doesn't have to pull in a lot of viewers for it to be funny.

And Bachelors Walk only got so few viewers because RTE didn't promote it as much as they should have...

I disagree, a comedy does have to pull in a lot of viewers to be funny , that is the litmus test . Other wise what other measurement can you use to prove its quality . The fact of the matter is that Bachelors Walk failed to pull in sufficient viewers, so it was a failure . You could argue that it could of got more viewers if it was promoted better, but that's hypothetical and you can't prove it would of done much better . And lets say it was promoted better would it of been a success. I doubt it, because if a comedy has quality it should be able to survive on its own merit , also if was really that good then you would think word of mouth would caused its popularity to grow exponentially.

I disagree, a comedy does have to pull in a lot of viewers to be funny , that is the litmus test . Other wise what other measurement can you use to prove its qujbality . The fact of the matter is that Bachelors Walk failed to pull in sufficient viewers, so it was a failure . You could argue that it could of got more viewers if it was promoted better, but that's hypothetical and you can't prove it would of done much better . And lets say it was promoted better would it of been a success. I doubt it, because if a comedy has quality it should be able to survive on its own merit , also if was really that good then you would think word of mouth would caused its popularity to grow exponentially.
    By that logic Brass Eye was not funny and Mrs Brown's Boys is hilarious. Terrible criteria to judge any art by.

By that logic Brass Eye was not funny and Mrs Brown's Boys is hilarious. Terrible criteria to judge any art by.

What are you talking about Brass Eye was one of most popular comedies in Britain and Ireland. It won comedy awards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

It won comedy awards.

Ah - so we do have another way to "prove" a comedy's quality!

Mrs Brown's Boys has never one awards, right?!

What are you talking about Brass Eye was one of most popular comedies in Britain and Ireland. It won comedy awards.

It was popular in later years but not when it broadcast. But you didn't mention the other example. Do you think MBB is good?

• Advertisement

It was popular in later years but not when it broadcast. But you didn't mention the other example. Do you think MBB is good?

To further illustrate my point, arrested development was cancelled because of low ratings, whereas two and a half men it's going for years. I know which one is funnier. Archer is a very niche show, our its predecessor Frisky Dingo. But they're better than American Dad. Nonsense to argue that ratings are how to measure quality.

No MMB is an awful comedy . The acting is dreadful and I hate the way he has all his stupid family in the show with him . It epitomises Ireland , jobs for the boys.

No MMB is an awful comedy . The acting is dreadful and I hate the way he has all his stupid family in the show with him . It epitomises Ireland , jobs for the boys.

But it's popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You know little of the history of MBB tbh.
    A touch of research perhaps and a little less posting the first thing that comes into your head........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

tbh, what may be funny to a mass public may not equate to being funny once a critical sypnosis is given to something.

Most shows that people are claiming arent funny but attract huge audiences, such as Two and a half men, Mrs Browns boys etc are very easy viewing and target the easy laughs. They are clear cut, generic jokes that do not require a whole lot of brain activity to digest and they are jokes you will have forgotten about ten minutes later as they are nothing new and revolutionary.

For this reason they sell. They are targetted at people watching tv late in the evening and do not require any sort of committment to thought or following of the show.

in effect they are the opposite of what is known as "cult genre" of tv. These programmes, such as Curb your enthusiasm, The Peep Show, even The Office before its popularity exploded stateside require a bit more patience, attention and brain work to catch the joke , which is why they are almost always more critically acclaimed than the aformentioned more popularly viewed shows.

you cant bracket humour in terms of classes. what works for some like cheap laughs from "mrs browns" may not work for another who prefers more of a witty intelligent comedy (Curb).

The logic of the poster who said Bachelors walk wasnt funny because it had relatively low viewing figures is ridiculous. First of all it wasnt merely a comedy, and perhaps it lost out in that it was focussed both on drama and comedy and never really found a specific genre. It was dropped at the time and RTE never even released dvds of the series but trust me it was highly acclaimed at the time and the character profiles were excellent, memorable and layered. It was also the sort of show that had hit its peak and the actors and director knew it was time to draw it to a close.

Many good comedies only have a certain air time and the best programme writers recognise that. How many series of The UK office did Gervais do? Extras also? Im not comparing them to Bachelors walk, but you cannot judge a programme just because it doesnt last years and years.

mikom wrote: »
    A touch of research perhaps and a little less posting the first thing that comes into your head........

what is this "history".
    The concept behind the show, of easily digested, often crude obvious humour hardly takes a brain surgeon to come up with it. It is a smart comedy in that O Carroll recognises that it will be an easy and often very funny show to watch . and credit to him for that.
    but its hardly multifaceted and the "history" you speak of is really only a line of jokes tried and tested over o carrolls carreer. its like Brendan Graces' schoolboy "humour" (im not a fan) but it has a following so sells. and why change a winning formula.
    To suggest that someone shouldn't criticise it though is ignorant, just like it is ignorant if someone suggests it "isnt funny". its all subjective.

I disagree, a comedy does have to pull in a lot of viewers to be funny , that is the litmus test . Other wise what other measurement can you use to prove its quality . The fact of the matter is that Bachelors Walk failed to pull in sufficient viewers, so it was a failure . You could argue that it could of got more viewers if it was promoted better, but that's hypothetical and you can't prove it would of done much better . And lets say it was promoted better would it of been a success. I doubt it, because if a comedy has quality it should be able to survive on its own merit , also if was really that good then you would think word of mouth would caused its popularity to grow exponentially.

oh, and ps, maybe get your facts correct about the viewership bachelors walk enjoyed. I recall it was pulling in 20 % of all viewers in Ireland at times, which is an astonishing amount for a programme on our "second channel" (RTE 2).

Even after pulling in 250, 000 viewers for the season 1 finale, RTE decided to half its budget, this at a time when tv cutbacks were a rare thing (CELTIC TIGER peak 2001/2002). That is ridiculous logic. surely you would nurture a programme with such a following.

so maybe the producers knew they were fighting a losing battle and shortened the story arc for that reason. I can guarantee you if you ask Simon delaney what was the most important role he played he would say his character in BW. He is slowly breaking into America now but still has always accredited the BW director as the most significant person in his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Even after pulling in 250, 000 viewers for the season 1 finale, RTE decided to half its budget, this at a time when tv cutbacks were a rare thing (CELTIC TIGER peak 2001/2002). That is ridiculous logic. surely you would nurture a programme with such a following.

BBC Three were involved in Bachelors Walk for the first series, then dropped out. Was that not the reason the budget dropped for Series 2?

No, it was rte who reduced the funding, 99 per cent sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

mikom wrote: »
    what is this "history".
    The concept behind the show, of easily digested, often crude obvious humour hardly takes a brain surgeon to come up with it. It is a smart comedy in that O Carroll recognises that it will be an easy and often very funny show to watch . and credit to him for that.
    but its hardly multifaceted and the "history" you speak of is really only a line of jokes tried and tested over o carrolls carreer. its like Brendan Graces' schoolboy "humour" (im not a fan) but it has a following so sells. and why change a winning formula.
    To suggest that someone shouldn't criticise it though is ignorant, just like it is ignorant if someone suggests it "isnt funny". its all subjective.

The "history" of a family standing by O'Carroll when he was nearly bankrupt, often working with him on the project (stage and straight to video/dvd) for close to nothing, only to be given the same parts in the TV show once it got optioned........... that history.
    For "celtic tiger 2011" to say "It epitomises Ireland , jobs for the boys" is a pile of daggins.
    Maybe he should shaft his family, that'd be the celtic tiger way....
    You took me up wrong "emanresu esrever" in your rush to roar low concept, easily digested, and often crude at the show.
    TBH I can take it or leave it............ there's a hell of a lot worse on TV (often through pull) that are getting paid a hell of a lot more.

• Advertisement

I wasnt defending the posters opinions on o carroll hiring close family etc. In fact i think its what makes the show a success and very original. You can see the comradery and chemistry , even though the acting is panto stuff.

I assumed you were irked by the posters opinion of the shows quality, and that is what i thought you were defending by making this fact about "the history", which i didnt quite pick up on. The lack of clarity therefore in your message led me to that assumption. Anyway no harm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

I had misfortune to watch the repeat of this show last night, looks like RTE are scraping the barrel, who the heck is Al Porter that was the most appalling die a death performance ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,480 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 20 short_of_cash

Jesus I'm cringing...what a load of sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

Watched the repeat of this at the weekend. Well. Holy. God. I must say I used to be partial to PJ Gallagher, but this is just car crash TV. O'Shea can barely hide his lack of talen, Delamere is just not funny, and Gallagher has lost it. Having UK based comedians on with parochial Irish gombeens just doesn't work, it's just bad bad bad. RTE should scrap it quickly like they did that Craig Doyle 'The Social' fiasco.

most good comedians are able to devise humour out of observation, delamere seems to have to make up stories , pretend they are true and make jokes out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's not bad tonight apart from yer won.More relaxed than they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 comedyfish

Skid X wrote: »
    BBC Three were involved in Bachelors Walk for the first series, then dropped out. Was that not the reason the budget dropped for Series 2?

Bachelors Walk Series 1 aired in 2001, BBC Three didn't even exist until 2003 so definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

comedyfish wrote: »
    Bachelors Walk Series 1 aired in 2001, BBC Three didn't even exist until 2003 so definitely not.

You are right, it was another BBC Station, BBC Choice, who part funded and broadcast Series 1 of Bachelors Walk. BBC Choice closed in 2003.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-24700773.html
    The BBC was a co-producer of the first series of Bachelors Walk, but when it broadcast the programme via the isolated wastes of the BBC Choice digital channel, it cut scenes and dumped the jazz in favour of unwieldy slabs of nostalgic 1980s hits. And once they had shown it, they ditched it. The fools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Has anybody said that RTE turned down Father Ted yet? It's a line that's usually trotted out in a thread like this and completely wrong.

Advertisement