Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Weeks News

Options
  • 20-01-2014 8:35pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hot on the heels of the pilot "Next Year's News", which was a mixed bag at best, comes the series, which debuts at 9:30pm. Pilot host Eoghan McDermott has been replaced by Bernard O'Shea for the series, though whether or not he'll be utilising his Republic of Telly persona (which I can't see working for a show of this nature) or playing it straight (often a good strategy for hosts on this kind of show) remains to be seen. Basically a retool of The Panel with a hefty chunk of Mock the Week thrown in for good measure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Trust RTE to have three new programmes on the same night at the dame time.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I was sure Eoghan said on TSNS he would be hosting, why is it Bernard now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 basketmon

saw recording last night. Dermot is terrible, Neil only funny one

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

This is very uncomfortable to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭LowOdour

This is pretty awful to watch....Delmare and OShea are always terrible...but the rest are shamefully bad too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Watching it here now. It really is terrible. Can't stand that English fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

I can't watch this, that Canadian comedian is actually good. I'm scarlet for all of us. She must think we are all degenerates. She's coming from 8 out of 10 cats to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Jonkenji

The only funny person on that show is the Canadian girl. Says it all really. The rest of them are about as funny as the Hayley cancer-suicide storyline in Coronation Street tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Everything else seems to have already been criticised, so I'm just going to say that the set looks absolutely shit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭DenMan

This is so bad!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

WellThen? wrote: »
    I can't watch this, that Canadian comedian is actually good. I'm scarlet for all of us. She must think we are all degenerates. She's coming from 8 out of 10 cats to this.

There's no hierarchy when it comes to Panel shows.

The show is as sloppy and awkward as most RTE productions, the trout story bit was funny but almost desperately strangled for jokes by Delamere and Jupitas. Bernard O'Shea and PJ Gallagher are terrible for over reacting and laughing at their pathetic jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'll stick with the fat people in Channel four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Oh god this is pure cringe. I'm blushing with embarrassment.

Phil Jupitus is the closest thing this show has to a saving grace.
    So many jokes are falling flat though. Painful...

And it's still better than the new years eve one.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

ugh, just caught the last 10 mins of this. Phill Jupitus looked totally bewildered. Awful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Phil Jupitus is the closest thing this show has to a saving grace..

No way, he even deflates QI when he's on it. This show could have been the funniest on earth but I'd never know as I switched off after a few seconds of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

ThisRegard wrote: »
    No way, he even deflates QI when he's on it. This show could have been the funniest on earth but I'd never know as I switched off after a few seconds of him.

*jots down on notepad like a mad person*

ThisRegard wrote: »

Sadly that doesn't make my point any less valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I was at the recording of this last night, unfortunately. Absolutely atrocious. I didn't watch it on rte but it can't be anywhere near as bad as the actual show. It took about three feckin hours to record it, although it felt like eternity. After the first 45 minutes everyone was completely bored, barely any laughs for the most of it.

I've no idea how the host (dermot?) wrangled the job, very unprofessional, needing at least 5 takes for every single line he had to say.

All in all, utter ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

Never saw a show as bad as this, my god what are we paying a licence for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Horseshit.
    Up to the usual RTE standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Just watched it; felt sorry for the Canadian one; she had some unreal jokes that were completely lost on the audience. In fairness to Phil Junipus, he was professional throughout even though most of the references were so completely Irish that they must have been lost on the two.

Mark of how limited Delamare and Gallagher can be that they failed to see that their material didn't leave the two foreign guests any room to contribute at all.

Never seen so many jokes fall flat on a comedy show sadly.

Bernard O'Shea should not be presenting either. Too many long silences and awkwardness; sacrificed actually making the show run smoothly for his own laboured gags.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10244550/

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

I was at the recording of this last night, unfortunately. Absolutely atrocious. I didn't watch it on rte but it can't be anywhere near as bad as the actual show. It took about three feckin hours to record it, although it felt like eternity. After the first 45 minutes everyone was completely bored, barely any laughs for the most of it.

I've no idea how the host (dermot?) wrangled the job, very unprofessional, needing at least 5 takes for every single line he had to say.

All in all, utter ****e.

3 hours of footage and this is the best they could scrape together? Jesus, seriously, RTE would have been better off to concede this was an unwatchable piece of crap, apologise for a for a change in the schedule and stick on the Eurovision episode of Fr. Ted or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭briany

What was that panel game that Jason Byrne hosted the other year and was it worse than this?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

Thought it was very poor. They are trying to replicate 'Mock the Week' and failing miserably, Bernard O'Shea is definitely the wrong man to have presenting. Hopefully it improves within the weeks and they get better guests on.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

There was me thinking it was done almost live, after hearing this, makes the show 10 times worse. Bernard looked like a nervous schoolboy at times and made it quite obvious he was reading everything off the teleprompter. Absolute manure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

There has been some poor attempts from RTE at shows like this over the years, but wow this was about as bad as it gets.
    Terrible stuff, hard to understand how they even let crap like this be broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Lustrum

I was at this recording too, doors were at 6.45 and when we left at 20 to 11 it was still going on, not sure what time it finished at!

In fairness to Bernard O'Shea, he seemed to he having awful trouble reading the teleprompter, not sure what the problem was. It comes across as very unprofessional when you're there but there may be more to it than laymen like me realise. I'd agree though that they could definitely find a better host.

Some of it was funny, some not so much, and as it wore on everyone seemed to be getting bored of it (comediens and crowd) and it was much harder to get a laugh. It won't kill me if I dont see any more of it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Didn't think it was all that bad, I laughed a couple of times, it was a bit hit and miss, if you think it was RTE's worst attempt at comedy, you clearly haven't watched much of the comedies they've produced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

briany wrote: »
    What was that panel game that Jason Byrne hosted the other year and was it worse than this?

Can't remember the name and yes, it was worse. ;)

Only watching it for the first time now.

It's grand. Nothing special but not the car crash I was hoping for.

You guys got my hopes up. :(

Advertisement