Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go pro or no?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Eh we used 3 remotes last year and everytime they froze, the same happened on our recent trip so they are crap in the cold.......never had the same issue in warmer climates.

Maybe your destination isn't that cold lol.

No it was very cold, where did you wear the remote? In had it failry close to skin which probably helped. I also topped up the battery at lunch tim with a portable USB charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭alwayssideways

Some stills from the Go Pro 3 black edition from France 2 weeks ago. Wouldn't even consider anything other than the Go Pro. (Images are copies of Facebook so not original quality)

G0232691_zpsb9966534.jpg

G0192658_zps34585f1c.jpg

G0202674_zps6ae1bb22.jpg

G0232708_zps4aceaa9a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Nice images...
    I think I've set my mind on the garmin virb elite.

Same picture as the go pro but overlaying heart rate and GPS seems to be a winner for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Go pro all the way! I'd love to have one but fortunately 2 of my friends do so i just use theirs ha!:D Quality of footage is always brilliant, battery life however because of the quality isn't great so pick your runs etc as there's not a hope in hell you're getting a day on the slopes out of it (this is why having 2 between us helps :))

Almost decided on the verb elite. The ability to overlay heart rate and GPS on the video is the clincher for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

God I'd have to keep the heart rate private, lol. It'd be a dead giveaway on the nervy bits ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

Where's the best spot in Dublin to pick up a go pro.

im off in two weeks and don't want to be pricking around waiting for delivery. They gang we were skiing with last year had one, made for some savage memories... So im going to take the plunge, plus im going to try a spot of paragliding this year too want to catch ot all on video

Where's the best spot in Dublin to pick up a go pro.

im off in two weeks and don't want to be pricking around waiting for delivery. They gang we were skiing with last year had one, made for some savage memories... So im going to take the plunge, plus im going to try a spot of paragliding this year too want to catch it all on video

They sell them in the airport! Or else go online to amazon/ebay and you might find one at a good price!

They sell them in the airport! Or else go online to amazon/ebay and you might find one at a good price!

amazon or ebay delivery is my prob, don't want the missus to text me while im in the slopes telling me a package arrived for me :)

prices in the airport be ok i wonder?

amazon or ebay delivery is my prob, don't want the missus to text me while im in the slopes telling me a package arrived for me :)

prices in the airport be ok i wonder?

get it delivered to your job? I get all my orders sent to the office as there is rarely anyone in the house during the day!

Cant remember exact prices in the airport but they had 2 models and the cheaper one was about 250...ish and the higher end one around 320..ish i thinnk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

Argos have them in stock and they also have some of the last model Hero 3 not the 3+ at decent prices.

Does anyone know if the rental shops rent out helmets fitted with GoPro mounts?

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Almost decided on the verb elite. The ability to overlay heart rate and GPS on the video is the clincher for me

Brought my garmin gps watch and heart rate monitor last year not the same as having it built into the camera but I didn't find it much addition and didn't bother after a day or two.

I reserved the gopro hero 3 in Argos to.pick.up tomorrow. For 324.99

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5636455/Trail/searchtext%3EGOPRO+HERO+3.htm

Theres also a bundle pack for 379.99

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1436642/Trail/searchtext%3EGOPRO+HERO+3.htm

I can't tell if the bundle is black or silver and also no idea scars in the bundle... Any of you guys got any idea?

Thanks

Looks like the black as only the black included the remote but could be a silver and a remote separately. Doesn't say from what I can see whats extra in the bundle.

Rew wrote: »
    Looks like the black as only the black included the remote but could be a silver and a remote separately. Doesn't say from what I can see whats extra in the bundle.

yea me either, fresh eyes helped thanks. Two are in different stores so may visit both or try ringing i guess. Thanks rew.

Picked up the hero 3 black for €286. Bargain alert only it was the last one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Does the GoPro 3 do a better job than the 2 on dull days? I'm just back from my trip and while the quality on the sunny days was fantastic, the quality on dull days was awful, absolutely no detail except me rocking back and forth, and the odd conifer going by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I dont think it really does. I knew that blue sky (or broken cloud) and LIGHT aziz LIGHT! was key - so I did all my Go Pole/Selfie head shots on the dull days.

Never waste the morning and evening sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

yankinlk wrote: »
    Never waste the morning and evening sun!

Was trying to explain just that to my brothers on the trip, also tried to get them to set up good shots, ie. Get behind me about 20', then come up along side me nice and close, etc.

Would they?

Not a freakin chance.

Of course I did all that and got great footage of them, whereas I'm just a bobbing dot, somewhere in the distance in the footage they took. :mad:

cormee wrote: »
    Does the GoPro 3 do a better job than the 2 on dull days? I'm just back from my trip and while the quality on the sunny days was fantastic, the quality on dull days was awful, absolutely no detail except me rocking back and forth, and the odd conifer going by.

Yeah but its still not great, gopro's really love the sun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

cormee wrote: »
    Was trying to explain just that to my brothers on the trip, also tried to get them to set up good shots, ie. Get behind me about 20', then come up along side me nice and close, etc.

Would they?

Not a freakin chance.

Of course I did all that and got great footage of them, whereas I'm just a bobbing dot, somewhere in the distance in the footage they took. :mad:

I feel your pain, I've done that many times. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

You'll struggle to get a camera small enough to be worth your while carrying around that will be great in low light.

Either way, low light when you're skiing means the depth perception will be crap, so you may as well just save it for days with good light.

Boom... Virb elite for 306eur on amazon warehouse. Woo hoo. Cant wait
    Looks miles ahead of go pro with its ant+ connectivity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Tulking

Hey I was wondering if anyone uses their go pro in doors, I am looking to use one for you tube channel videos set in doors, wondering if lighting would be an issue. Looking at either go pro 3black if I can get one or Garmin vibr... Any feedback helpful...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Tulking

Hey I was wondering if anyone uses their go pro in doors, I am looking to use one for you tube channel videos set in doors, wondering if lighting would be an issue. Looking at either go pro 3black if I can get one or Garmin vibr... Any feedback helpful...

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Lighting is an issue for all indoor filming. GoPro is an outdoor action camera first but each new model is better in darker settings. I tried the 2 indoors and it wasn't great at all. In artificial light it was bad. The 3 I use now is better but I have it for outdoor fun. Get a mic and borrow cameras from mates to see what suits before shelling out hundreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭promises

Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a gopro for a Christmas present..it will be used for skiing and mud runs. Do I need to buy all the mounting gear separately or does the basic essentials come with it. Any advise greatly appreciated as money is tight and I don't want it to cost more than necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Comes with just about everything. Check out the versions available. Standard, Surf, and Music. Different mounts with each. I think the surf used to come with a suction mount but now comes with a specific surf mount.

http://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/cameras/hero4-silver/CHDHY-401-master.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

promises wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a gopro for a Christmas present..it will be used for skiing and mud runs. Do I need to buy all the mounting gear separately or does the basic essentials come with it. Any advise greatly appreciated as money is tight and I don't want it to cost more than necessary.

It comes with a lot of stuff in the box. However head mounts, helmet mounts,chest mounts, poles all need to be bought separately. They range from about 25 to 60 euro each

Advertisement